Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

any bronco, packer or patriot fans out there who wanna havea friendly bet??

loser has to compile the winner's code for a week straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

slam flanders posted:

are those programming languages

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
actually the super bowl winner will be the san francisco santa clara 49ers, op

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my favorite thing about the seahawks is not having to deal with seattle's now-lovely traffic on suber bowl sunday

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it will be the arizona cardinals, op

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

my cat now has a broncos jersey so the superbowl is a sure thing for the broncos this year.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually, this is the year of the Buffalo Bills

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sport

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

ball

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

carry on then posted:

it will be the arizona cardinals, op

Oh yeah?? How bout a wajer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i hope the broncos lose the super bowl again so the world can have definitive proof of how overrated peyton manning really is

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

oh stymie

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i get to watch the lions this year

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
last gif was hosed up for some reason

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

garbage collect this thraed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

slam flanders posted:

:siren: not sufficiently computer related. nice try cocksucker

if you fail to complete the challenge, or someone else does it better, you eat a nice fat probe.

1) create an image, gif, or vid of a YOSPOS icon doing a cool end zone dance.

or

2) cant really think of a good #2 this time, so I guess just cum on a football.

good luck

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bump

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

actually the super bowl winner will be the san francisco santa clara 49ers, op

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

FOOTBALL!!!@

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's super cool how racism in sports journalism and fandom is exposed when it comes to colin kaepernick

why oh why can't he be more respectable like that russell wilson? he's so clean-cut and well spoken!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Stymie posted:

it's super cool how racism in sports journalism and fandom is exposed when it comes to colin kaepernick

why oh why can't he be more respectable like that russell wilson? he's so clean-cut and well spoken!

he wears his hat backwards, like a thug.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
reminder that richard sherman shouted on television after making a big play and white people poo poo themselves in fear

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

he's explosive and dynamic

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

reminder that richard sherman shouted on television after making a big play and white people poo poo themselves in fear

talking about your self in the 3rd person is really weird

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

well that sure wasnt ripped out of that episode of rick & morty

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sniep posted:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey%27s_Paw

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

lmao

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sniep posted:

lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
also, there was even a loving simpsons halloween special about the monkeys paw

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the frogurt is also cursed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Film, television or theatrical adaptations[edit]
The Ramsay Brothers television show The Zee Horror Show had one episode named "Taveez" which was based on this story.
The segment "Wish You Were Here" from the 1972 film Tales from the Crypt is an adaptation.
Bob Clark's Deathdream is inspired by the short story.
Michael Scott directed and starred in a short film version.
The Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode "The Tale of the Twisted Claw" is based on the story.
The story also inspired an episode of Brandy & Mr. Whiskers.
Short film directed by James Henschen. Filmed in 2003. Tribalfilm
A variant of this story, using a genie in a bottle, was featured in the The Twilight Zone episode "The Man in the Bottle".
In an episode of The Monkees, titled "The Monkee's Paw", a nightclub magician sells the band a cursed monkey's paw in revenge after they unwittingly force him out of a job.
The Ripping Yarns story "The Curse of the Claw", first broadcast in 1977 and starring Michael Palin, is a spoof in the style of Monty Python, and is loosely inspired by "The Monkey's Paw".
The main idea was used in a season 5 episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer entitled "Forever" in which Spike and Dawn Summers attempt to revive Joyce Summers
Treehouse of Horror II - In the 1991 Halloween episode of The Simpsons, one of the stories is about how Homer gets a monkey's paw that grants him four wishes. Each member of the Simpson family (except Marge who actually heeded the warning of the vendor) makes a wish, which have terrible consequences. In a humorous twist, Homer gladly gives the paw to his neighbor Ned Flanders, only for Ned's wishes to (apparently) go off without any of the usual consequences, causing Homer to grumble "I wish I had a monkey paw." It could also be hinted that Ned's faith in God protects him and the rest of the Flanders, while the unfortunate consequences only applied to the Simpsons whose wishes were indeed selfish in its own ways.
The Cartoon Network show, I Am Weasel featured an episode in its fourth season entitled "The Baboon's Paw" in which Weasel's sidekick, I.R. Baboon, has the power to make his wishes come true through the use of his own paws, having been told they are lucky after attempting to buy a monkey's paw in Chinatown
Bhusan Dahal's 2008 film Kagbeni is based on the story, but with a few changes made to adjust with the locality.
The anime TV series/light novel Bakemonogatari story arc, Suruga Monkey, contains an oddity explicitly (albeit incorrectly) believed to be the monkey's paw, with references to its twisted wish-making powers backfiring at the person wishing. However, in contrast to the monkey paw, the wishes are not fulfilled in a way contradicting the intentions of the wish-maker, but actually obeying them.
The 21st episode of the seventh season of the X-Files, Je Souhaite, is a remake of the monkey's paw myth in which Mulder seems to solve the puzzle.
The book Prom Nights From Hell: a novel consisting of 5 short stories written by Meg Cabot, Stephenie Meyer, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe and Lauren Myracle. Myracle's The Corsage is an adaptation of The Monkey's Paw.
The anime TV series xxxHolic episode 08. It's an episode about Monkey's Paw, an adaptation of the manga.
The K-Horror movie Wishing Stairs recasts the story with the family replaced by a trio of students at an all-girls school and the monkey paw replaced by the eponymous stairs.
The first episode of the second series of the British comedy The League Of Gentlemen contains a reference to the monkeys paw in the shape of a magical toad which when squeezed will grant the squeezer a wish; it is used by the Dentons to wish for their nephews return and a self lowering lavatory seat.
The cartoon series Adventure Time references the concept directly in the second episode of the fifth season, "Jake the Dog," when heroes Finn and Jake meet a wish-granting being named Prismo. Because he likes Jake, Prismo warns that all his wishes have a catch, "like a monkey's paw thing", and helps guide him into making a wish that will only have negative consequences for the villainous Lich.
The 2013 horror film The Monkey's Paw is based on the W.W. Jacobs short story. The film stars Stephen Lang, C.J. Thomason, Corbin Bleu, and Charles S. Dutton, and is being released in theaters and on demand on October 8, 2013.
An operatic version of the story was adapted by composer, Jonathan N. Kupper in 2009. Excerpts of the piece were showcased as part of Opera Vista's new opera competition in Houston, TX in 2010; and a full production was premiered by The Microscopic Opera Company in Pittsburgh, PA in 2011.[1]
A spoof in the cartoon series Rick and Morty, season 1 episode 9, "Something Ricked This Way Comes". The monkeys paw is used to save the life of the devil who lost his will to live after he was outwitted by Rick.[2]

Music[edit]
Industrial/goth band the Electric Hellfire Club released a song called "The Monkey's Paw" on their album Witness.
The song "Monkey's Paw" by the band Smalltown Poets speaks of consequences one must pay from getting one's wishes over obedience to God.
The story was the subject of a humorous song by the same name on Laurie Anderson's 1989 album Strange Angels.
Warren Zevon begins his 2001 song “Genius” singing about a “bitter pot of je ne sais quoi” which he stirs using a monkey’s paw.
Horrorpunk band The Misfits have a song based on the story on their 2011 album The Devil's Rain.
Artists Scott & Raven's 1987 Single – The Monkey Paw (A New Dance Kraze) on Columbia Records.[3]

Other[edit]
The Monkey's Paw Trilogy by Ralph Lagana, Jr, is an original companion novel to W. W. Jacobs's short story.[4]
Ralph Lagana's author page Dedicated Monkey's Paw website
In the manga xxxHolic, a graduate student studying ancient folklore insists on obtaining the Monkey's Paw even after being told that she is not fated to have it and will suffer horrible consequences if she were to go against fate and use it. She disregards this warning as she firmly believes that bad things only happen to other people. Five wishes (a wish for each finger on the Monkey's Paw) later, she found out too late that she was wrong.
Stephen King's Pet Sematary expands on the theme of bringing the dead back to life, and includes a quote from the Monkey's Paw.
In the book The Dead Zone, by Stephen King, the character John Smith relates his newfound psychic powers to the wishes granted in "The Monkey's Paw", realizing that his powers can help people, but they can frighten them away, and that they give him unwanted publicity.
In The Sims 2 for consoles, when a player selects Search Couch while sitting on a sofa, he can find a "Mysterious Zombie Monkey Paw".
In the web-comic Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, the 4 August 2010 comic features a severed monkey's paw that grants wishes with consequences.[5]
In the web-comic VGCats, strip #284 features a severed monkey's paw that grants wishes with consequences.[6]
Bill Brittain's book The Wish Giver tells a very similar story to "The Monkey's Paw," but is specifically geared toward children and has a happy ending.
In the novel adaptation of 1985 film The Goonies, there is a sequence of spooky stories told by the main characters, and Mouth recalls a story which Stef promptly identifies as "The Monkey's Paw". This sequence isn't in the movie.
William S. Burroughs refers to the story in his lecture "Class on the technology and ethic of wishing",[7] warning students to be careful of what they wish for, and discussion its relation to the "Wishing machine" [8]
In the Piers Anthony novel, A Spell for Chameleon, in Good Magician Humfrey's castle, the main protagonist Bink is shown a monkey's paw by a magic mirror when asking why his magical talent has not been revealed. The Magician then explains that the answers most people seek are of the "monkey's paw variety".
In the video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl the player is able to find an object called the "wish granter" which will grant wishes, but only in macabre ways. The player character may wish for the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone to disappear, so the wish granter makes him blind.
In Pirate 101, the player needs to find the Monkey's Paw to help a Lord in Monquista
In the video game Binding of Isaac: Rebirth there is a trinket named Monkey Paw.
In Far Cry 4 one of the items you can loot is "Monkey's Paw". It's description states that it can grant the owner 3 wishes. It then breaks the 4th wall by asking the player why they haven't thrown it away yet, in reference to its destructive power in the story. Like most of the loot in Far Cry 4, the only use for this item is to sell it for currency.

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

Smythe posted:

:siren: not sufficiently computer related. nice try cocksucker

if you fail to complete the challenge, or someone else does it better, you eat a nice fat probe.

1) create an image, gif, or vid of a YOSPOS icon doing a cool end zone dance.

or

2) cant really think of a good #2 this time, so I guess just cum on a football.

good luck

:hawksin:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
haha

k

i wasnt aware (obviously) of the monkeys paw prior to that show

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i mean i was aware of the paw and wishes thing but just not the entire shop of haunted goods detail being a thing

also kickoff is in 71 days

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

the frogurt is also cursed

that's bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sniep posted:

i mean i was aware of the paw and wishes thing but just not the entire shop of haunted goods detail being a thing

also kickoff is in 71 days

u should watch Friday the 13th the TV show. it was basically a shop of cursed items the curator tries to get back from people.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stymie posted:

that's bad

but you get your choice of toppings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

:cripes: what a fail