Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Hello friends let's get crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
6/29/2015

Woke up along with 13 others, all displaying erratic behavior, looking for 3.5 scum in our midst. (13+1=14 14/4=3.5) It was already apparent that the hardest part was going to be looking past the group's odd behaviors to find their alignment.

7 people were already voting for each other by the time I got to the common room, and I originally couldn't tell if anyone's votes were something besides jokes. It looked like the only one that might be for real is Somberbrero, probably doing what I have seen him do in 5-8 games before. Tremendous Taste had 2 votes, 2/7=0.2857~=0.29*100=29% of the vote total.

We knew from our win condition that the 3.5 scum are staff, hiding among us. Does that mean they aren't crazy like the rest of us, and they have to pretend to be crazy? But Rule #1 seems to say that every person (14 people) has a post restriction, so I guess this line of speculation is useless.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
At some point, I even picked up a vote. I remember thinking, "why? what makes me stand out from the rest?" I'm still not sure why jon joe picked me, 1 out of 14, take the 1 out of 14 and you have 4, or you have 14-1=13 (prime, can't get 0 in modular arithmetic unless your modulus is 13 itself), 1+3=4, take the 1 out either way you get the same result, isn't that funny? Obviously works with any number between 10 and 20 but not inclusive, 10-1=9, 10-10=0, 9!=0, not inclusive, only {x; 10<x<20}. So that's settled.

Sometime around then, Somber claimed staff. Staff! We were told the 3.5 staff were out to get us, but then if I were 1 of 3.5 then I wouldn't reveal it. Unless that's what he wanted me to think? But I like his
    p
    o
    e
    m
    s
count the lines count the syllables everything in its place very nicely and very nice Serious Somber (s s = 2, but actually 3 s's, and now 44 total here, 44=11*4=2^2(10^1+10^0) 4+4=8, 2^2+2^2=2^3!!!). No, I think it was clear even at the time that voting based on such a claim was the easy way out, not to mention clearly ignorant of the numerical facts, so I didn't see any other option than to ##vote Kleedrac in turn.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
07/01/2015

Missed a day, but everyone knows that family visitation day is more important than even these events. There wasn't much to say, anyway, only 33 posts since my last writing. I kept trying to convince everyone that Kleedrac was 1 of 3.5 and we had to vote for them, and at least merk eventually listened. Though apparently he thought Somber was a miller, and that wasn't so at all, haha.

Honestly, I didn't like EXAKT's vote on that bandwagon either. It seemed time to resurrect momentum toward him with a deadline impending, and added a really bad reasoning for it. I told the group I'd be happy voting him as well as Kleedrac.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Max posted:

Mr Morn, your case on Kleedrac consists of a numbers game, and not much else, unless my spyglass is too fogged up. The wind is pointing me towards Somber, but please offer a nice blow towards Kleedrac that consists of something other than "I used numbers" and I'll consider turning this ship in that direction.

Dear Max,

As you know, I have always held numbers to be integral to understanding, the only way to unlock the truth of the world lurking behind all of these messy words. But there exists no one-to-one function mapping my arguments to the integers, or even the reals or the surreals, or to any set of propositions. So I will try to restate myself in a more constrained way:

1. Somberbrero claimed staff shortly after my writing #1, which speculated about whether we could determine allegiance based on identity, or whether the 3.5 would have 0 post restrictions, which I largely thought was improbable.
2. I thought this was unlikely to be a gambit, due to my previous speculation about a connection between flavor and alignment.
3. Further, Somber has more recently pointed out that the mod has explicitly stated that flavor and alignment are not connected.
4. Therefore, my judgement of Somber must be based on his 23 posts (2+3=5, Somber follows the Law of Fives).
5. (I follow the Law of Fives)
5.1 My judgement of Somber's posting is that he is legitimately seeking to find the 3.5. You may consult my earlier proof of this lemma, or you may analyze the situation subjectively.
5.2 If Somber is town, then those going after him are more likely to be scum.
5.3 It follows immediately that going after him for specious reasons particularly suggests an attempt to get an easy dunk due to a non-slip "slip".
5.4 Of the people who are doing this, my reading of Kleedrac showed him to be the most fake, with EXAKT throwing up red flags also. You are also on my radar, but I feel you're more honestly trying to figure things out. I must admit, alas, that I have yet to arrive at a satisfactory proof of these lemmas, and may be unable to do so given our time constraint. We may be limited to intuition.
5.5 Therefore, I propose the best dunk candidate is Kleedrac.

I hope that this note assists you, and any others who might see it, in making the proper decision this evening.

Your friend,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I noticed 2 people focused on the behavior of Jon Joe, and wondered whether I was missing something in his behavior.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I kept looking at Taste's avatar and imagining Lil Wayne as a character in the Cuckoo's Nest movie and laughing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

jon joe posted:

There is nothing to MISS.

Except what is NOT.

Do you have an OPINION?

Mr. Joe,

In response to your inquiry earlier, I wanted to let you know that have no particular opinion on your status at this time. I suppose I would prefer to hear some more involved discussion from you than "EMPTY" repeated O(10) times, but I have never seen your style before with or without restrictions. I have queried the 2 people who expressed a strong opinion on you, but they've thus far declined to clarify their thoughts. So, I don't regard you as a good candidate for lunch today, unless someone does give me >=1 reasons I've failed to see.

Sincerely,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

jon joe posted:

Do you have an OPINION?

About ANYTHING?

Or are you EMPTY?

Jon,

Have you failed to notice my writing on the subject of Kleedrac, as well as EXAKT, as well as Somberbrero? Perhaps Max has failed to share my earlier note, which contains (as you likely already know) 2001 characters, 1965 of which are in the body (therefore the header and footer are composed of 2001-1965=2000+1-1965=2000-1900+1-65=100-65+1=35+1=36 characters), which is a pretty hefty opinion indeed relative to those I've seen some others express, including yourself.

-Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Opoponax,

I have heard you say that you can investigate to see if someone is 1 in 3.5 or not, and you say that the result for Somber was bad, but your first thought seems to be 3rd party? I don't believe I follow this train of thought. Is it because of the specific wording of the message, and if so have you checked in with Deadbeat Dad to clarify whether that wording is meaningful?

-Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
07/05/2015

Opop said he was an investigator, and I didn't see any reason not to believe him, even though that makes 2 cops. But that does mean we might not be able to believe his results. On the other hand, it would seem foolish to fail to take advantage of a significant power role. So, I asked the group how they think we ought to plan to determine if Opop's investigations are legitimate. For instance, if he gets an innocent result tomorrow, should we assume that exactly 1 of that player and Somberbrero are in the 3.5?

I was tempted to just go ahead and vote Somber right then, theorizing that where there's smoke there's fire, but that does not logically follow. So I decided to stick with my suspicions from earlier and ##vote EXAKT

fake e:

Tremendous Taste posted:

It's my decision to fund an initiative that would verify the ability of our police force to secure reliable results. I'll christen it Lest You've Not Confirmed Him.

##vote opopanax

Taste,

Your proposal to lunch claimed cop Opopanax makes no sense whatsoever. The flip will be meaningful only if it comes up "insane cop"--coming up "cop" will tell us nothing. Either way, we'll have killed a claimed power role off of no suspicion of scum intent. If you legitimately wanted to test out Opop's claim, you would clearly want to vote for Somber. Thus, I can't find any way to interpret your post from an honest town perspective. ##vote Tremendous Taste

Regards,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Tremendous Taste posted:

That's exactly it, my friend. Should we utilize LYNCH here it would make clear the reliability of said force , and whether or not work has been done at all.

To whom it may concern,

This statement is ridiculous. In what scenario would the lunch of Opop give us any information?

1. Opop might be a liar, and therefore scum. Is it likely that scum would make such a difficult-to-believe fakeclaim and then not actually attempt to get someone dunked off it? No. Therefore, scenario 1 is unlikely.

2. Opop flips "cop". Then we have two cop flips, and we can fairly reasonably guess that at least one wasn't sane, but without knowing which we're left with the same problem we have now. So scenario 2 gives us no information.

3. Opop flips "paranoid cop". We now know for sure that his result on Somber was not useful. Scenario 3 gives us minimal information.

4. Opop flips "insane cop". We now know that Somber investigates as innocent.

So, in our best case out of these 4, we have knowingly killed a town power role for the benefit of confirming a single innocent investigation. This is not a pro-town plan, and I dont believe that it could have originated in pro-town thought. Please vote for Tremendous Taste.

Sincerely,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Tremendous Taste posted:

The greatest challenge facing our thread at this hour is one of participation, frankly.

Mr Taste,

You are making an awful lot of posts discussing things other than who you think is scum. Who do you think is scum?

Love,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

jon joe posted:

Please SUMMARIZE.

The case on TASTE.

So I may SEE.

Jon,

The case is as follows:

1. Taste's response to Opop's cop claim was to immediately push to dunk Opop.
2. He framed this as a lunch for information, not based on anything scummy about Opop (except the vague possibility he was fakeclaiming)
3. This was a totally ridiculous plan, for reasons I have outlined several times.
4. Now, after being pressed several times, he's stepped back to saying he thinks Opop is scum, with no explanation why.
5. None of this behavior seems consistent with a town perspective, let alone with town Taste.

Regards,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
07/09/2015

I had major computer problems today and things were getting too complicated to follow on my phone, so I didn't say much to the group. Its in the process of being fixed.

I don't think a scum jailer makes much sense, and it seems we do have a jailer. I do think it makes sense that Opop would be a second cop, and that he could be insane, so I'm more inclined to go the other direction and vote for his innocent. But this is just based on my memory, I want a chance to re-read and get a handle on all the claims as one.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
07/10/2015
(= 5+2/5*2/500*2*2+5*(2+2/2))

I re-read the thread, over and over, trying to find the right answer to the dilemma, Asiina or Somber, Asiina or Somber, which 1 of 2 is 1 of 3.5. But I couldn't stop feeling distracted by 1 thing, specifically post 447567382 (=46=10=1, 1 of 3.5???):

SirSamVimes posted:

So either Stumbler or Ash are scum based on whether or not our policeman is a lunatic, huh?

Stumbler has confirmed that he is a jailor by claiming he jailed me last night when I was in fact jailed, but it's still possible that he's a scum jailor.

Ash, can you give a claim? If not, then I will have to vote for you to be reduced to just that, ash.

I didn't like feeling trapped, forced into a set of cardinality 2, and I didn't like Sam trying to emphasize this. I didn't like him trying to force a roleclaim, either, even from the member of the set that I'm more suspicious of. I would vote for Asiina over Somber, I would still vote EXAKT who I still don't think has contributed anything, but what I really want to do is ##vote SirSamVimes.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SirSamVimes posted:

I just feel that lynching when we don't know what both sides claim to be is a self-destructive act.

Dearest Sam,

If you actually think Asiina is a scum, then why would you trust her claim? Alternately stated: if Asiina has a verifiable town claim, then she will surely give it when needed; your focus on getting her to claim rather than actually thinking she's scum makes me think you are scum.

Love,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
07/13/2015
(13 = -1, 20 = -1, 15 = 1)

Received a strange message last night, claiming to be from Asiina. She said she was a 3P and wanted to win with scum. It was quite a play by Asiina, who now can't be killed even if we believe that she's really 3P. I suspected that, given my vote for him yesterday, the other message would have gone to Sam Vimes, and it turned out I was right. Then, I woke up to see Vimes's anti-town play continuing, openly setting down multiple dangerous votes in EXLO. I'm more convinced than ever that he's scum. Maybe Asiina's play means we can't win, but if so I'm going out voting for the bad guy. ##vote Vimes

I also wondered why Opop hadn't given his result yet.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Asiina posted:

Also I've been sitting here refreshing this thread for like 5 hours straight so I didn't miss my unvote timing, you assholes.

Dear Asiina,

:lol:

Sincerely,
Mornacale

-----

I didn't much trust the Asiina play, but there was no way around it yet; we had to hope she wasn't scum playing a really wild gambit.

I was still suspicious of EXAKT, but also confused as to why Opop wouldn't reveal his result.

fake e: okay he revealed it

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SirSamVimes posted:

He was claiming to be scum and joining a scumrush to set me ablaze It's pretty damned suspicious if you joined in on that.

Sam,

So walk me through your reasoning on believing that was a serious scumclaim. Did you think I'm scum and Opop is scum and we were gonna just openly put three votes on you and then trust Asiina to switch over? Or did you think I'm town and put a mistaken vote on you and then scum Opop immediately scumclaimed and just assumed his two buddies could get on it before I unvoted?

(Or are you scum and you're trying to solidify the idea that any bandwagon on you at this point must be a "scumrush"? [It's this one.])

Sincerely,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh, welp.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
(Sorry folks, had job interviews yesterday that I needed to prep for/recover from.)

07/16/2015

Well, it was obvious it couldn't be Vimes, and I imagined it couldn't be Asiina, so I figured "it must be Jon Joe and MCED, I'll go see where MC goes". But then it turned out he spent last night in Jon Joe's room, and JJ survived, so now I'm starting to wonder if it actually is Asiina, probably with MCED as well. MCED, what were you doing to Jon Joe last night?

Anyway, yeah, I'm a tracker. I was roleblocked, presumably by Asiina, n1; n2, I tracked Somber to Sam, hence why I was trying to keep us from killing him; n3, I tracked EXAKT to myself; n4, MCED to Jon Joe. My n3 result is pretty weird, since I wouldn't expect a GF to be visiting someone other than the nightkill; I wonder if there's a busdriver.

Anyway, we're in a good position if we can hit scum today. If Asiina's claim is honest, then neither scum nor town can win if she survives the night, so her survival means she's definitely scum. If she gets killed, then I survive and I can confirm the last scum.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SirSamVimes posted:

There can't be a bus driver if you are telling the truth, because I am a vanilla townie and there are only two town remaining.

Sam,

There are also 2 of the 3.5 remaining, with unknown roles.

-Morn

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

MC Eating Disorder posted:

BULLSHIT you IDIOT you KNOW he appeared to visit op last night

MCED,

Is this a counter-claim? If so, it's the most strangely-handled counterclaim I've ever heard. Why didn't you vote me immediately on my claim?

I'm going to leave off a vote just in case I'm reading you wrong due to your PR or something, until you clarify what you're doing here, but I'm pretty sure this means you're 1 of 3.5 and it's time for you to go.

Best,
Mornacale

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Asiina posted:

I still think it's MCED, but whether it's JJ or Morn, I dunno. I have to read the thread again with that in mind, since I will definitely be dead tomorrow and I want to put all my thoughts out there first.

Also you don't care who it is as long as we get 1 of 2 remaining scum today.

Anyway, I was thinking it could be you after seeing MCED at JJ last night, but then I remembered I know for sure two of your claimed abilities are true. I really don't believe there's a scum out there who can roleblock and also send weird messages. So that means it's 98% sure it's Jon Joe and MCED, 1% scum have a really weird role, 1% Vimes basically gave up the win for some weird reason.

At this point I'm essentially 100% sure MCED is 1 of the 2. We kill MCED, I track either Jon Joe or Vimes. If scum kills Asiina, which they very nearly have to do, I will be 100% on who the last scum is. ##vote MCED

Morn

fake e: Oh hey a megapost wherein a claimed 3P who wants to kill everyone tries to sell me as scum.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hey sorry for checking out so badly on this game, to my scumbuds and also to town and especially DBD. This was a really cool game and it deserved a better effort than I gave. Not really sure why I couldn't motivate myself to bring it full-force after the first couple days, but I couldn't.

Here's my thought process about killing Sam:
1) I was already most suspicious, and then Asiina correctly pointed out my obvious bussing. Further, Sam was all but confirmed town. Therefore, in a me/JJ/Sam endgame it was almost guaranteed to be a loss
2) with me/JJ/Asiina, on the other hand, the only decent town play was to vote Asiina, and therefore given perfect play by everyone involved I would win (either Asiina was scum or Asiina was being honest about her role; if the former then voting her was correct, if the latter then I was obviously a lynchbomb and the game was unwinnable for JJ; therefore, the only way JJ could possibly win was to vote for Asiina and hope it was the former situation)
3) furthermore, Asiina played better than anyone else and deserved a chance to win
4) between leaving JJ and Sam alive, I thought there was a better chance that JJ would see #2, in part because he'd already expressed such a strong suspicion of Asiina all game. Also, I was hoping to correctly guess JJ's target (I was actually thinking I'd say "you didn't target again"), which would seem more impressive than just telling Sam "JJ targeted you but he died so there's no way to confirm".

I was planning to try to get the first post of the day to and explicitly point out #2 (maybe even saying I tracked JJ to Sam, but I just had to hope it wasn't the kill because voting him was a no-win scenario) but then I overslept badly, welp :v:

My PR was (pretty obviously) that I had to write every post as a journal/note and also I had a sub-PR that I'm obsessed with math and numbers. Which, since I've got a degree in the subject, is soooorrrrt of true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

jon joe posted:

Haha assuming I paid enough attention to this game after Asiina's claim to make quote-unquote perfect plays.

I figured that even if you or Sam saw the play, there was at least an even chance that you'd vote for me solely for metagame reasons (Asiina deserved it, prefer a 3P win to scum, etc). But it was a better alternative to the optimal play being "vote Morn and win".

• Locked thread