Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

like, bad controls is something i remember as a feature of MGS games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Added. And I think people exaggerate how "bad" the controls are, they're just different and by the time they added first person aiming in MGS2 they were totally fine. The games were always designed with control limitations in mind so it was never much of an issue.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I liked the controls for anything before like 2004 on PS2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shadow of the colossus has really good controls

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blackheart posted:

Can't you give the fear poisoned food or something
Yeah it makes him puke

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Shadow of the colossus has really good controls

I was blown away by the demo, and remember being sad that I never found a retail copy till like 2012 and I didn't even have a console any more.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Blackheart posted:

Can't you give the fear poisoned food or something

It's a good strategy. I was doing a nonlethal run and that included bosses. The Fear is one of the hardest because he will shoot food down and eat it when you get his stamina low, so what I had to do was go around and shoot all the food out of the arena and pick it up to eat, then throw down my own poisoned/rotten food. It was very time consuming.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
OP please replace your Legacy Collection link with http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO as it has better shipping has all the product info. I guess it's 11 cents more expensive.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's a good strategy. I was doing a nonlethal run and that included bosses. The Fear is one of the hardest because he will shoot food down and eat it when you get his stamina low, so what I had to do was go around and shoot all the food out of the arena and pick it up to eat, then throw down my own poisoned/rotten food. It was very time consuming.

The mgs3 bosses are so good. Except for the Fury, he's just annoying

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

The mgs3 bosses are so good. Except for the Fury, he's just annoying

i couldnt beat him on hard so looked at youtube and just cheaped him with the knife

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

emoji posted:

OP please replace your Legacy Collection link with http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO as it has better shipping has all the product info. I guess it's 11 cents more expensive.

Oops, added.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm also doing all non lethal runs on the games that allow it

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I should be able to get a good rating on 3 on the European Extreme difficulty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always try and then end up with 2 or 3 dead from environmental kills, but same. Except for Peace Walker, since it will be my first time through

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I just wanted to extend my sincere thanks to In Training for this awesome thread once again. In the words of Ocelot. You're pretty good.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I've never played a MGS game before but I just played ground zeros... drat it's good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I should be able to get a good rating on 3 on the European Extreme difficulty

My ratings usually suck because I never got very good at any one game, having come to the series late. And I usually play on normal because I just like the story :sweatdrop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

I've never played a MGS game before but I just played ground zeros... drat it's good

There's never been a better time to play.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

My ratings usually suck because I never got very good at any one game, having come to the series late. And I usually play on normal because I just like the story :sweatdrop:

i am only really good at 3, the rest i will play on normal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing through chronologically has the added benefit of starting with the most fuckawesome game of all time, so I will be fully amped to play 80 more hours of Metal Gear

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im going to play the first game on the hardest setting and kill everyone

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My most epic gaming session of all time was in high school when I stayed up and played through the entirety of MGS2 in one sitting... it was about 4AM when I got to Arsenal Gear and I actually thought I was going crazy

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

My most epic gaming session of all time was in high school when I stayed up and played through the entirety of MGS2 in one sitting... it was about 4AM when I got to Arsenal Gear and I actually thought I was going crazy

same and i had to go to school on two hours of sleep

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Please add my PSN if you want to co op Peace Walker: LumpyTheCook

Soral
May 30, 2009

walking out of eb games on launch day with the collector's edition of mgs4. best night of my gamer life. purestrain win beamed directly into my honed tactical espionage senses.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
im up to 80% in gz . but i might play 3 later today

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

Welcome! To the Official Imp Zone Metal Gear Simulplay! To prepare for the imminent release of 2015's GOTY Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I think it's a good idea to encourage everyone to play through the Metal Gear series, whether it's their first time through or their 10th. Metal Gear is the greatest series in gaming and MGSV may end up being the best game released this decade, and gamers old and new should be ready to enjoy the incredible experience.

You don't have to be participating in the simulplay to talk about Metal Gear here, since this will be the general Metal Gear thread until The Phantom Pain finally releases. If you're participating, let us all know what you'll be playing, how you'll be playing them and how you're enjoying the game. If even one person plays through MGS1 for the first time because of this thread, I'll be extremely happy.

Ways to Play
The best option is The Legacy Collection if you have a PS3. You can buy it here for $30 http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO , along with Revengeance for 9 dollars here http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Ri...tal+gear+rising . It includes all 4 Metal Gear Solid games, the first two games in their original MSX2 format and Peace Walker. Ground Zeroes was free for PS+ players last month and could also be purchased for 5 dollars during the Steam sale, and is probably relatively cheap right at this point. Otherwise, emulation is always an option. If you don't have a PS3 I do not know how you'll be playing MGS4, but really, you could probably pick up the Legacy Collection and a used PS3 for <150$, which is hundreds of hours of the best gaming has to offer. Avoid the old PC ports, as I've heard reports that they are awful and likely won't really work on modern machines regardless.

For those who have never played before, I would suggest playing the games in release order for the best first experience. For those who have played Metal Gear before, playing through the games in chronological order can be a unique way to see the Metal Gear story develop (this is how I will be participating).

Release Order: MG, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPW, MGR, GZ

Chronological Order: MGS3, MGSPW, GZ, MG, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4, MGR

The Games

Metal Gear
Platform: MSX2
Release Year: 1987
Chronological Year: 1995

"THIS IS BIG BOSS...
OPERATION INTRUDE N313
PENETRATE THE ENEMY'S
OUTER HEAVEN AND
DESTROY
THE ULTIMATE WEAPON
METAL GEAR!" - Big Boss

The Mission: A Special Forces operative, code named Solid Snake, must infiltrate Outer Heaven and destroy Metal Gear, a bipedal walking tank capable of launching nuclear missiles from anywhere in the world.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Platform: MSX2
Release Year: 1990
Chronological Year: 1999

"Put yourself in the enemy's shoes. Imagine you're the enemy commander, or the game designer, in charge of guarding that area. You might see possibilities you couldn't see before...Over and out." - Roy Campbell

The Mission: Solid Snake is brought out of retirement by the new leader of FOXHOUND, Roy Campbell. Snake's mission is to covertly invade Zanzibar Land and rescue Dr. Kio Marv, a Czech scientist who's genetically engineered petroleum-producing algae is being held hostage by Zanzibar Land's leaders in an attempt to control the world's dwindling oil supply.

Metal Gear Solid
Platform: Playstation 1
Release Year: 1998
Chronological Year: 2005

"People who have been through war and survived develop a kind of sixth sense to warn them of danger. Trust your instincts as a soldier... As a gamer..." - Master Miller

The Mission: Solid Snake comes out of retirement once more at the behest of Colonel Roy Campbell, now working for the Secretary of Defense. During a training mission gone awry on Shadow Moses Island, Liquid Snake and his newly assembled FOXHOUND unit have rebelled against the U.S. government and taken control of Metal Gear REX. Snake must enter the heavily guarded compound, destroy Metal Gear and stop Liquid Snake's machinations of global terrorism.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Platform: Playstation 2
Release Year: 2001
Chronological Year: 2007
Those playing for the first time: SELECT TANKER MISSION FROM THE MAIN MENU WHEN PROMPTED

"I want my memory, my existence to remain. Unlike an intron of history, I will be remembered as an exon. That will be my legacy, my mark on history. But the Patriots would deny us even that. I will triumph over the Patriots, and liberate us all. And we will become the 'Sons of Liberty'!" - Solidus Snake

The Mission: Two years have passed since the Shadow Moses Incident. Solid Snake and Otacon have gone rogue as Philanthropy, an anti-Metal Gear non-government organization (NGO). They've recently received an anonymous tip that a new type of Metal Gear is being transported on a tanker through the Hudson River. Upon boarding the ship, Snake witnessed a hostile takeover by Russian mercenaries under the command of Revolver Ocelot. Snake must gather Intel on the new, dangerous weapon and destroy it if possible.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Platform: Playstation 2
Release Year: 2004
Chronological Year: 1964

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle. I'll give you ten minutes. In ten minutes, MiGs will come and bomb the hell out of this place. If you can beat me in less than ten minutes, you'll be able to escape in time.
[loads her Patriot] Jack, let's make this the greatest ten minutes of our lives!" - The Boss

The Mission: 1964, the height of the Cold War. America's greatest living agent and mentor of Naked Snake, The Boss, has defected to the Soviet Union and tipped the scales of war in he uneasiest of times. Snake has been dispatched to the Russian jungle by Zero, commander of the special forces unit FOX. His mission: assassinate The Boss, traitor of the United States and the woman who taught Snake everything he knows.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Platform: Playstation 3
Release Year: 2008
Chronological Year: 2014

"America will descend into chaos. It'll be the Wild West all over again. No law, no order. Fire will spread across the world. The people will fight... And through battle they will know the fullness of life. At last... Our father's will... His Outer Heaven... Is complete." - Liquid Ocelot

The Mission: War has changed. The endlessly growing war economy has transformed the smaller nations of the world into endless battlefields, becoming stages for private military companies (PMCs) to wage proxy wars and fuel the profits of their bottom lines. The five largest PMCs are owned by a single parent company: Outer Heaven, headed by Liquid Ocelot. Roy Campbell has called up Solid Snake, now know as Old Snake due to his debilitating rapid aging disease, for one last favor: assassinate Liquid and end his tyrannical plans of world domination via economic manipulation.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Platform: PS3/360/PS4/XOne/PC
Release Year: 2014
Chronological Year: 1975

"There’s a second…in…my…" – Paz

The Mission: Chico and Paz, agents integral to the success of the Peace Walker mission, are being held in captivity on a U.S. black site on the southern tip of Cuba. At the same time, the IAEA is taking a guided tour of Big Boss' Mother Base to ensure compliance with a non-nuclear agreement. Big Boss' mission is to extract Chico and Paz before they have time to reveal sensitive intel on Boss and his base to the terrorists who have captured them.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Platforms: PS3/360/PS4/XOne/PC
Release Year: 2015
Chronological Year: 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfoPfF2u1to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVxPAiB7as

"Watching the trailers for MGSV makes you wonder if the spirits of Dostoyevsky, Stanley Kubrick, and Caravaggio entered Hideo Kojima’s body because, using the art of gaming as his canvas, he boldly goes where no one has gone before." - Nicolas Windig Refn, director of Drive and the Pusher series

The Mission: MGSV:TPP will be GOTY 2015.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Platform: PSP
Release Year: 2011
Chronological Year: 1974

The Mission: I actually don't know, I never played Peace Walker because it seemed to be balanced more around multiplayer. It's Metal Gear gameplay mixed with Monster Hunter design elements and seemed to be lighter on story from what I played (at least the production values are significantly lower; there's only so much you can do on a PSP). This is the game most closely related to The Phantom Pain though so now is definitely the time to play, and I will be correcting my past mistakes this month.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Platforms: PS3/360/PC
Release Year: 2013
Chronological Year: 2018

"Forget it. We've both heard enough speeches about higher causes by now. History will decide who's right. End of story." – Sam

The Mission: It's a spinoff action game sequel to MGS4 starring Raiden where you have to stylish slice apart hordes of electronic freaks, made by Platinum. It's badass and the writing is very funny, but definitely saved for later after finishing the core game series if you're a first time player of Metal Gear.

I love Metal Gear and I want to suck Hideo Kojima's dick, lol. Enjoy Metal Gear July everyone. Remember to use #MetalGearJuly to discuss the simulplay on your social media venue of choice.

This is win.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I kinda wanna skip MGS 2 except for the first part.

Also MG1 on a phone emulator is terrible don't try it like I just did at work. loving hidden pits ruin it.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Please add my PSN if you want to co op Peace Walker: LumpyTheCook

I will do this; I've never played Peace Walker and it looks like it's not expensive at all to pick up.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I kinda wanna skip MGS 2 except for the first part.

Also MG1 on a phone emulator is terrible don't try it like I just did at work. loving hidden pits ruin it.

I will do this; I've never played Peace Walker and it looks like it's not expensive at all to pick up.

Absolutely do not skip MGS2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS2 has the least interesting rooms in the series but the insanity surrounding 100% makes up for that.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MGS2 best story, MGS3 best gameplay.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Black Baby Goku posted:

Absolutely do not skip MGS2

I know I just want to get to 3 so bad though :(

Are we doing non lethal runs because I've just been murdering everyone in every previous play through because why not (plus it makes the sorrow fight way funnier)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Until MGSV comes out, at least, trumping both in each regard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The cool thing is that on repeat plays you realize how small everything is you can just run from cutscene to cutscene in a few minutes

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In Training posted:

The cool thing is that on repeat plays you realize how small everything is you can just run from cutscene to cutscene in a few minutes

Thank you for giving me the inspiration to play through 2 again fully with this strategy, fellow gamer.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Are we doing non lethal runs because I've just been murdering everyone in every previous play through because why not (plus it makes the sorrow fight way funnier)

I'm going chronological so 2 is near the end. Also yeah I'm doing as non lethal as possible for my runs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can do whatever makes you happy, and I hope people post the stat summary at the end of their playthroughs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I might do this, but not for a few months.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm going chronological so 2 is near the end. Also yeah I'm doing as non lethal as possible for my runs

It's just not the same to knock on a door, hide against a wall, wait for them to answer the door and then use the dinky tranq gun on them instead of the shotgun.

Plus it's fun to use them as human shields using CQC or whatever (something I've seen people never actually do in a playthrough which blows my mind since it's such a neat thing they stuck in the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Solid Snake and Pre-Cyborg Raiden should never kill.

• Locked thread