Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Castor nods solemnly as the three of you enter the mausoleum. He hands a silver key to Sebastian.

"To the mausoleum. I will do as Master Alonsius suggests and begin preparing a meal, if you feel it is necessary you may lock yourselves in. If I have not heard from you by sunset I will return and check, but otherwise I will leave it up to you."

"Children," he calls after you, forgetting the titles for a moment. "Be careful"

You watch as he steps back from the door and closes it. It's their to lock if you desire.

However, it is at that point that you hear the rumbling and scraping from the back of the room. Cold stone grinds and dust spreads in a cloud. One of the stone coffin lids twitches, then grates against its base with a shuffling. The corpses buried in this first room are the oldest, those of the original land owners and their families. They would be centuries, perhaps thousands of years old. Just as one stops twitching, another begins. One lid lifts an inch and a deep, guttural groan escapes before it drops. The noises the creatures make are not of the conscious, but rather the mindless undead. There is a moment of stillness where everything falls still... and then the lids shift all at once and crumbling undead forms burst forth!

They are near skeletons, beings of carbon and leather and dust. They are dressed in remnants of their lives and begin gathering the items that had rested atop their coffins before they fell to the ground. One places a silver crown atop its skull, where it immediately falls to hang around its neck, then lifts a rusted sword and lumbers towards you.

Roll initiative? Run away? Let them eat Castor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea looks down at her arm and finds a black smudge on it, then at the hand that was grabbing it. "Is that ink on your fingers?" She takes a step back from Sebastian and looks at him with contempt. "You signed it... Father's death warrant." She bumps into the coffin behind her and spins around as it starts rumbling. "What?!"

She can only stand and watch in terror as the undead rise around them. "No... Why is this happening?"

Initiative: 1d20+6 10 There's the orokos I know.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

Stats		Per Battle		Powers (Momentum)
HP 32/32	[ ] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16		[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Initiative +6				Sure Cut (M)
Momentum No				Tumbling Strike

Daggers +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"If we don't sign, then that insufferable lawyer will be in charge of everything." Sebastian spits on the ground. "If we sign, we get to make the decisions about what happens here."

As the undead rise, Sebastian pulls a flashy looking scimitar from a scabbard and assumes a defensive stance. "But we should talk about this later!"

If the game is waiting on me, please roll initiative for me. Phone posting for the next few hours. Otherwise I'll do that + my combat block when I get home.
Initiative: 1d20+6 18 Forgot I was human, Quick to Fight roll 2: Initiative mk 2: 1d20+6 25 :krad:

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg

Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)	Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 36/36	Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)		[ ]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)	[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12					[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			
Initiative +6				Cantrips
					Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
MBA: Scimitar +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 30, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Be reasonable, Astraea. We have a responsibility for our father's legacy as well, and should our father be... heal-able, we would still need to take care of the estate while he convalesces."
But then the coffins begin to move. Alonsius quickly draws his sword, dropping the cane sheath on the ground. He holds the sword like a fencer in one hand, lantern in the other.
"Undead? Here? What is going on?"

He peers through the shadows at the skeletons, particularly the one which wears a silver crown. What sort of magic was responsible for this?

Initiative: 2d20k1+1 9
Also Trying to figure out why there's undead here (Int + Void Secrets): 1d20+11 27

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Stats		At-Will		Recharge		Daily
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[ ]Shadow Form
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[ ]Inevitable Fall (16+)
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[ ]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+4

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

With creaks and cracks, coffin after coffins falls open as the dead rise to their feet and lurch towards you. The slap of their naked feet against the stone, most stepping on sheer bone rather than flesh, fills the hall. The corpses are old and rotten to the point of lacking muscle, all that holds them together is some sort of magic.

Inside his head, Alonsius feels the dark taint of necromantic magic. The thrumming buzz of darkness and shadow and the cold of the deep grave swirl around him and rise to the ceiling like smoke. He attunes himself even closer to the source of the corpse's powers and finds, not a spell, but something else. Whatever is bringing these creatures to life is not a ritual or any magic cast by conscious hand. They are lifted to action by something subtler and altogether less controlled. The magic is unfocused and for that reason alone the creatures are primal in behaviour. Beneath that lack of focus though, you can feel a raw power that dwarfs almost anything you have ever felt. The closest undead are visibly weaker, but the two risen bodies guarding the door deeper into the mausoleum are visibly stronger and appear to have been buried in their regalia. Their armour is ancient and rusted, but offers from protection than the courtier's clothing of those before you. Both of these greater threats wear crowns plucked from their own coffins, but only one appears to be magical. It does not appear to be the source of whatever is raising them. Before you can deduce much from this, the moaning, shambling bodies spring forth to attack!

But Sebastian is quicker!

Ghoul initiative: 1d20+5 17
Ghoul initiative: 1d20+5 20
Zombie Lord Initiative: 1d20+1 14
Zombie Lord Initiative2: 1d20+1 3

Initiative
25 Sebastian 36/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
20 Rotting Corpses (Blue) 9/45 AC 17 PD 15 MD 11 [Mook]
17 Rotting Corpses (Red) 9/45 AC 17 PD 15 MD 11 [Mook]
14 Zombie Lord (Orange) 60/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
10 Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
9 Alosius 36/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
3 Zombie Lord (Green) 60/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
+0 Escalation Die

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 30, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Stand back, everyone! I'm going to try something." Sebastian hops up onto one of the stone coffins and pulls out a small bell. "The Dwarves of the Misty Mountains study resonance and sound...they could project a whisper a mile away. When I asked if I could train with them, they gave me this to practice with, and I, er, accidentally caused an avalanche. But I think that might come in handy here." Sebastian begins ringing the bell to a tune, and with every ring the sound echoes more and more, becoming louder and louder. Finally, with a climactic toll, the sound surges forwards, shattering most of the skeletons in front of him as well as a few of the stone coffins.

"Ha! Take that, Thruvur! Who has the unrefined, dangerous technique now?!" he shouts triumphantly.

Soundburst (# of targets): 1d4 4
Soundburst (Targetting two reds, then two blues vs PD, damage): 4#1d20+5 16 24 15 12 5d6+3 20
So, with half damage on a miss, that's 40 damage to the reds, and 30 to the blues. :getin:

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg

Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)	Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 36/36	Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)		[X]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)	[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12					[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Despite his lack of academic success within the magical arts, Sebastian absolutely devastates the crowd of advancing undead with his bell toll. Their naked bones scatter as the magic holding them together is torn asunder and the force of Sebastian's blast thrusts them away. Some are snapped in half or even crushed to dust, thinning out the undead mass into a far more easily manageable number.

The remaining corpses lunge for the bard, scratching and clawing at him with a ravenous hunger, inhuman moans pouring from between their jaws. Sebastian manages to dodge and dance around the groping claws of the first two, but the final corpse manages to rake a rusted battle sickle down his back. The cut is shallow, the blade dull, but Sebastian feels hot blood trickling down his spine.

One of the zombified Lords at the back of the room steps forward and raises his sword high into the air. He screams a single shrill note that resonates deeply within the skulls of Astraea and Alonsius. You stumble around, disorientated by the onslaught, and though you quickly manage to find your feet there is a feeling of 'wrongness' clinging to you that you just can't quite shake

1d20+7=8, 1d20+7=17, 1d20+7=8 Attacks vs Sebastian 1 hit! 3 damage!
1d3=2 targets
1d20+7=18, 1d20+7=16 two hits! Astraea and Alonsius take 4 damage and are effected by Zombie Lord Curse!
Sometimes Orokos has problems with Cookies for me and I have to use Invisiblecastle instead!

Initiative
25 Sebastian 33/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
20 Rotting Corpses (Blue) 6/15 AC 17 PD 15 MD 11 [Mook]
17 Rotting Corpses (Red) 5/5 AC 17 PD 15 MD 11 [Mook]
10 Astraea 28/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 [Zombie Lord Curse]
9 Alonsius 32/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 [Zombie Lord Curse]

+0 Escalation Die

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 30, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Impressive, Sebastian! I'm right behind you!"
Alonsius rushes to stand back to back with Sebastian, hoping to keep him from taking too many additional claws from the undead menace. As he moves, he begins to concentrate. Beneath him, his shadow cast by the lamplight joins the darkened eaves of the mausoleum, and it somehow gets deeper.
"Something powerful is waking these things up. We should deal with this lot, but whatever is causing this is deeper underground."

Gaining Focus
Engaging with the Blue Zombie Mooks.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 32/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[ ]Shadow Form
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[ ]Inevitable Fall (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: Yes
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+4

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea closes her eyes for a moment. Father, whatever mistakes you have made, I will not give up on you. The air around her shimmers ever so slightly and specks of light dance around her. She opens her eyes which now shine brightly like the stars in the night sky and rushes forward.

She is upon the undead in an instant as their backs are turned, she instinctively stabs between their ribs to damage their insides. She realizes her idiotic mistake at the same time her daggers ineffectually pierces whatever leathery scraps that remain of their skin. The corpses turn around and she has to quickly to duck to avoid their blades. She rolls away and finds herself face to face with one of the ghastly monsters at the back of the room.

"Scream like your friend, I dare you!"

Using Halo, gain +2 to all defences until I get hit.

Move to engage Rotting Corpses (Blue)
Tumbling Strike vs. Rotting Corpses (Blue): 1d20+6 9 vs AC, miss! 2 miss damage. Natural 3. On a natural 2 I could've rerolled the attack since I'm using two weapons. Orokos!

Disengage: 1d20+5 20, Tumble successful.
Move to engage Zombie Lord (Green)

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 28/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16(+2)	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16(+2)				Evasive Strike
MD 13(+2)				Flying Blade
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Momentum: No				Tumbling Strike

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

As Astraea rolls away, attack failed, Alonsius approaches the creature from behind.
"You creatures are doomed. Return to the grave, for you should never have suffered to return to this plane."
The pools of darkness under the zombies suddenly seem to consume them, and in the next moment, both are gone.

Astraea's miss tirgger's Inevitable Fall!
Inevitable Fall vs MD: 1d20+6 12 4d8+3 18 damage and 5 ongoing psychic damage. and additional 2 ongoing damage from Hewer but they're pretty dead.
Focus expended.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[x]Inevitable Fall (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+3

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

More sentient enemies may well wonder why Alonsius does not spring into the battle with the same vigour as his siblings, but the corpses are mindless and do not even notice. As Astraea's dagger rattles around inside the ribcage of one body, she tumbles away and finds herself face to face with the zombie Lord wearing the silver crown around its neck. Behind her are only vaguely aware of the zombies sinking and vanishing into the pools of darkness beneath them, leaving only one mindless corpse to contend with.

Staring down at the aasimar with empty sockets, the zombie Lord swings its blade in a wide arc. Astraea feels the weapon slice through her without resistence and for a moment she is struck with terror that she has been sliced in twain! It is only when a second horrible shiver ripples through her that she realises the weapon has become spectral and imbued her with a second curse, though less terrible than the first. The zombie Lord, perhaps remembering some ancient impulse of its life, cackles madly for a moment.

Zombie Lord G Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+6 24 Hit! 6 damage! Additional damage: 1d4 2 = 8 damage!

Initiative
25 Sebastian 33/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
17 Rotting Corpses (Red) 5/5 AC 17 PD 15 MD 11 [Mook]
10 Astraea 20/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 [Zombie Lord Curse] [Lesser Curse]
+1 Escalation Die

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 30, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian hops down from a coffin, skewering the last of the lesser undead as he lands. "Astraea! You're doing great! Try to do more stabbing and less getting stabbed, though!"

Sebastian heads over to the solo undead and waves his scimitar at it. "So, you some kinda ancestor of Alexander's? I bet you'd be disappointed in me too!"

MBA on last red zombie vs AC: 1d20+7 19 2d8+4 14 damage.
Natural 11+ triggers Pull it Together!, so Astraea can heal with a recovery.
Edit: Icon dice: Icon dice (Archmage, Elf Queen, Diabolist, Lich King): 4#1d6 2 6 3 5 So a 6 with the Elf Queen, and a 5 with the Lich King, all conflicted relationships.
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)		Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 33/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)			[X]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)		[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12						[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 30, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Yeah, thanks. I'll get the hang of attacking these things in a moment, just wait and see!"

Icon Rolls: Prince of Shadows 2~, Priestess 1+: 3#1d6 1 6 4
Prince of Shadows, Conflicted: 6

Recovery: 2d8+4 17 HP recovered.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 7/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The final of the weaker zombies crumbles to a pile of bones at Sebastian's feet.

With a dry hiss, a zombie Lord charges for the bard, dragging his dull blade behind him in a spray of white sparks. Dust and pebbles spit into the air as he lunges with a wild swing, his blade turning to a spectral black light as it reaches for Sebastian. Unprepared to defend against the blade, he feels a terrifying and sick coldness pour through him and finds his mouth filling with the taste of blood. He is experienced enough to recognize necromantic magics at work.

Zombie Lord O Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+6 26 Crit for 12 damage! Lesser Cursed!

Initiative
25 Sebastian 21/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12 [Lesser Curse]
10 Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 [Zombie Lord Curse] [Lesser Curse]

+1 Escalation Die

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

How had she managed to sound so sure a second ago? This thing is terrifying! She makes a token attack against the old lord and tries to back away but yet again bumps into one of the coffins. Wasn't be aware of your surroundings lesson one? Ugh, she had hated that combat training and she hates this even more.

Evasive Strike vs. Zombie Lord (Green): 1d20+6+1 10 vs AC, miss! 2 Miss damage. Another three! How about that.
Disengage: 1d20 4, nope! Hey, a four!

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Time slows for Alonsius. On one side, Sebastian just took a terrible blow. On the other, Astraea was struggling to fight. Could Sebastian recover? And on the other hand, Astraea needed a distraction to truly shine. Alonsius makes a decision,

"Astraea, hang on, I'm coming!"

gain Focus
Move to engage Orange Zombie lord

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Astraea stumbles against one of the crumbling stone coffins and can only watch as the zombie Lord steps foward to loom over her. Lank strands of white hair as rough as weeds spill down in front of the Lord's face as he brings his sword up over his head with both hands. She rolls away from the worst of the blow as the sword turns spectral, but as it passes through her arm she feels a burst of pain and hears nightmarish mocking laughter rolling around the inside of her head.

Zombie Lord G Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+6 21 Additional damage: 1d4 4 hit for a total of 10 damage!

Initiative
10 Astraea 22/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 [Zombie Lord Curse] [Lesser Curse]
3 Zombie Lord (Green) 58/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
+2 Escalation Die

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian staggers back as the blade sinks into him, but recovers and manages to get a couple swipes of his own in. "Astraea, you can't deflect the blades, they'll go right through your daggers! You have to dodge the blow completely!"
MBA on orange vs AC: 1d20+8 25 2d8+4 13 damage, natural 16+ will trigger Stay Strong!, Astraea can get a +2 to AC. Let's hope it helps.
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 21/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As Sebastian's strikes cut chips and ends off of the zombie Lord's bones, his blade rattles around inside its ribcage. Ignoring the attack completely, the undead leader turns and thrusts his shadow blade towards Alonsius. With a flick of his rest, however, Sebastian sends the sword flying wide and disappearing into the stone slabs instead of his brother's soft flesh.

Zombie Lord vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+6 11 miss!

Initiative
14 Zombie Lord (Orange) 47/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
10 Astraea 22/32 AC (18) PD 16 MD 13 [Zombie Lord Curse] [Lesser Curse]

3 Zombie Lord (Green) 58/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
+2 Escalation Die

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
now for the proof of the pudding...
First off, I made a mistake, I meant green to give Astraea a sneak attack buddy...
Now for the attack.

Alonsius Ostraberg

As the creature attacks Astraea, a shadowy claw suddenly looms up from below! It attempts to deflect the blow, but fails to completely dull the blow. Still, it leaves a gash in the Zombie's side.

odd hit triggers Timely Mistake!
Timely mistake vs MD: 1d20+7 19 hits 1d6+3 5 damage plus ongoing 2 damage from Hewer
Forces an attack re-roll, Astraea has +3 defenses
Reroll: 1d20 17 welp

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 32/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[x]Timely Mistake (6+)	[ ]Shadow Form
MD 16		

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 1, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Unh! Enough of your self satisfied undead nonsense." She darts off to the side and slashes at the zombie lord but the strike glances off the rusty armor, so she twirls around, gets in close and low then stabs at a knee joint and jams her dagger into it, getting it stuck in the process. He looks momentarily disabled and Astraea pushes her advantage.

"Why are you wearing a crown? Your time has gone and well passed!" She tries to steal the crown off the zombie lord but he still has mobility left in his arms and manages to bring a hand up to keep hold of it. "No matter how hard you cling to it you're not ruling anything anymore except your own little coffin!" Still clutching the crown around his neck she dances around the undead up onto the coffin from which he rose from, then yanks back hard. The ancient lord falls helplessly back into what was supposed to be his final resting place and Astraea seizes the opportunity to push the lid back in place. "Now stay put in your realm while I catch my breath." She draws another dagger from her belt and scans the room.

Thief's Strike vs Zombie Lord Green: 1d20+6+2 10 (2d8+4)/2 7 vs AC miss! Natural 2, I get to reroll since I'm using two weapons.
Thief's Strike vs Zombie Lord Green (Two Weapon Fighting Reroll): 1d20+6+2 15 vs AC, barely hits! (2d8+4)/2 7 damage.
Thievery!: 1d20 3 And we're back on our regular scheduled programming of rolling 3.
I gain momentum from hitting with an attack.

Spending momentum to swashbuckle! Stuff that nerd into the locker. Stun him for a turn?

Disengage: 1d20 17, success Disengage just in case. Just take a few steps away.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 22/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16(+2)	[X] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 1, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Huh, good trick there."
Alonsius moves to the remaining one, sword readied.

presuming the Green one is incapacitated...
Gain Focus
Engage orange. Actually orange. The one poking Sebastian.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Though he retains his crown, the zombie Lord is sent reeling back into the coffin, his skull bouncing off of the hard stone with a sickening audible thump. There is a moment of balance, and then the heavy stone lid comes tumbling down and crushes the body within. The corpse hisses in fury and writhes, lashing out with every limb in an attempt to get free, but this only serves to fasten the lid in place. The scratching and kicking can be heard echoing inside the stone coffin, but somewhat weakened from battle, the Lord lacks the strength to free itself.

Escape: 1d20 6 Miss! The zombie Lord is trapped!
Save Vs Ongoing: 1d20 14 Success!

Initiative
14 Zombie Lord (Orange) 47/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
3 Zombie Lord (Green) 44/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
+3 Escalation Die

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian bursts out laughing as Astraea puts one of the zombie lords back in his coffin. Already put in a good mood, it soars even higher as he finally manages to find some soft zombie tissue to sink his scimitar into.

'nother MBA on orange vs AC: 1d20+9 15 2d8+4 20 damage! Triggers Move it! but I don't think any of us want to move right now.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 21/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The zombie Lord opens its jaw and screams in Sebastian's face. It is a dark and horrifying sound, some way between a high wind and a subaquatic rumble. Sand and dust spray from between the rotten teeth of the skull and carpet the stone slabs. Then, with vicious might, the Lord swings for Sebastian. It seems as if the group's luck is shifting, as the blow swings wildly over the bard's head and the spectral sword clangs uselessly against the wall.

More so, it seems as though wounding the Lord fatally has caused some shift in the darkness. You feel the thick, clinging atmosphere retreat slightly. It is not a place of life, but the mausoleum does not have to be a place of darkness. Before your eyes, the Lord appears to shrivel and wither even further, leaving his bones brittle and the magic holding him together weak.

Zombie Lord Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+6 14
Both Lords lose 20 hp because come on, they have way too much!

Initiative
14 Zombie Lord (Orange) 7/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9 STAG

3 Zombie Lord (Green) 24/60 AC 15 PD 13 MD 9
+3 Escalation Die

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Looks like the other one was crumbling under her brothers' assault, she just needed to focus on dealing with the sleepyhead. Astraea closes her eyes and focuses, just like before the air around her begins to shimmer but this time her entire form vanishes into a shower of stardust!

Shadow Walk: 1d20+3+2+3 23 vs MD. Hit!
Gaining momentum and disappearing into thin air!

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 22/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16		[X] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16 					Evasive Strike
MD 13 					Flying Blade
Momentum: Yes				Tumbling Strike

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius sees Sebastian connect with another excellent strike. He concentrates briefly.
"Sebastian, try not to flinch, but this may feel a little weird."
A shadow races past Sebastian's arm and up the blade, into the zombie he just hit. Suddenly, the wound slices the rest of the way through the creature! It fall to the ground in pieces.

"Alright, Astraea, lets... Astraea?"
Alonsius looks at the cloud of stardust where his sister used to be.
"Hmph, I always wondered how she kept getting into my things."
Nevertheless he approaches the tomb the last beast was locked in, and readies his sword.

Lets combine posts then.
Sebastian's attack triggers Better Yet, Here!
Better Yet vs MD: 1d20+9 19 2d6+3 11 additional damage to orange, it's dead!

Then on my turn, gain focus, engage with Zombie Lord Green

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As one Lord falls, cut into chunks by a combination of blade and spell, the other struggles against the stone lid crushing it. The lid bounces and shifts in its space, but the weakened skeleton is left helpless as it slips, fall, and grinds the Lord's lower half to dust. It writhes for a few more moments, but Astraea appears above it and plunges a dagger into its skull. With a puff of magic, the Lord falls limp and the bones lose their animation.

There is a rolling sound and Sebastian jumps as something touches his ankle. He looks down to see the magical silver crown resting against his leg. It is difficult to determine much about it, but from the thin peaks and elegant work, you would guess that it was elvish in design. Brushing the dust from its surface reveals some quite exquisite work underneath. The rim is decorated with a series of identical 8 pointed stars and in the very centre is a fanged mouth. There are some other symbols, perhaps wood elf heiroglyphs?

From deeper within the tomb there comes a distant howl.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian sits on the lid of a coffin and examines the crown while he catches his breath. "These heiroglyphs look familiar...reminds me of the couple weeks I spent in a Wild Wood nursery. We were growing a bunch of weird plants for the High Druid. They got a bit angry after I rolled one of the flowers up and smoked it. Apparently, it only bloomed once every century. Lemme tell you, that thing was potent." Sebastian smiles fondly at the memory, and then remembers what he was doing. "Oh, right, the hieroglyphs. Would you believe the wood elf language has over 200 words for "plant"? I can still recite every single one. Hopefully I remember some of the more useful words too."

Figure out heiroglyphs, Int+level+TITACOT: 1d20+0+2+3 20

Edit: Recovery: 2d8+2 7. I think I'm just going to take the average (11) for my 2nd recovery, which puts me back up to full.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 36/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Sebastian's study of the crown proves useful in some ways and useless in others.

The first thing he learns on reading the heiroglyphs is that this an archaic form of the language. Elves age slowly, so to find something with OLD Elvish on means that the crown is certainly pre-13th Age. Some (semi)educated guessing leads him to believe it is probably a relic of the 6th or 8th age. There are many symbols that he does not recognise and several that he can tell are no longer words in Elvish at all. However, he does piece together some. "Master" is twinned with "words" with a conjoining line that implies "the latter belongs to". This crown is intended for a diplomat of some kind. There is a symbol he recognises as "not", as in the phrase "these plants are NOT to be smoked". Its positioning is slightly more complicated, as it appears to link ground and sky, and a similar word "for", links underground and... he THINKS between ground and sky. Whatever its purpose, it has a magical aura to it and if nothing else, is probably of some value.

Added: Discern the purpose/owner/use of the Elven Diplomat's Crown(?) to Hooks section of OP

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Should've gone for the skull earlier, huh?" Astraea leans against a wall then sinks down to the floor and exhales deeply, she had half been holding her breath through the entire fight. She sits there for a moment trying to relax but her heart was still beating like a drum, the adrenaline from the fight freshly pumping through her body.

She rubs her arm which the spectral blade passed through, she can't see anything wrong with it but it sure hurt. "How could those old lords rise against us? Is there one of those despicable necromancers around? Maybe father found him entering the crypt and went down here to deal with him..." How desperately she wanted to cling to something as easy as that, but what could have happened?

The howling from further down the mausoleum sends shivers running down her spine. "We need to keep moving, we need to get to father." She stands up. "I know you've given up on him, but please! We just need to find him and then we can figure out what's wrong, right?"

Taking an average recovery back to full health.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[ ] Halo		Shadow Walk
PD 16 					Evasive Strike
MD 13 					Flying Blade
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Momentum: Yes				Tumbling Strike

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Astraea reaches out and takes the rusted handle attached to the doorway between the two chambers. Shadows dance across the walls as Alonsius' torch flickers and burns in the darkness. She turns the handle and is met with a rough click as the lock engages. If Alexander truly did make his way through here, and Castor has no obvious reason to lie, he entered the next chamber and locked the door behind him. Fortunately, the door is so ancient that she does not even need to ask for the key. One solid push and the wood crumbles and a wall of thick dense air pours forth. There is a single instant and then the darkness of the next room rushes forward to meet her. Sonic screeches and flapping wings fill the room as a deluge of bats pours forth, disturbed by the torchlight. They circle the room before vanishing out through various alcoves and tunnels in the ceiling. Before this, they have the potential to cause some damage.

Everyone roll a check to avoid being batted around

Also, McP, did you ever pick an Icon dice to 5?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Well that was easy enough, didn't even need to break out my- Bats!" Astraea quickly drops to the ground and tries to roll out of the way of the incoming swarm.

Bats! (Astral Cat Burglar + Dex): 1d20+5+4+2 18

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"I never gave up, Astraea."
Alonsius puts the lantern down and moves to pick up the cane sheath from where he dropped it.

"But I know things about father that concern me. This shadow?" He points at the ghostly eyed creature attached to his feet. "It's one of father's books that led me to it, a secret craft he thought was hidden from the rest of us."

Alonsius sighs and pokes at some of the dead zombies with his feet.
"And if he performed even half the rituals described in those tomes, then he has his fair share of atrocities under his belt. I'm certain his current predicament is a product of that magic. Either way, I feel we should at least try to see what form he took precisely. After that... If he is lost to reason, we could retreat, and decide what to do from there."

Alonsius finally notes the crown.
"Hm, elven you say? And a diplomat's crown, perhaps. My, Sebastian, you're absolutely full of surprises today. May I see it?"

Recharge rolls: 1d20 6 1d20 5 regain timely Mistake
No recoveries spent

Historian + Int: 1d20+9 10 history info on the crown? Eh, nothing doing.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 2, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
oh hello mr post
Picking... Archmage for my 5

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius sees the bats coming. "Duck! Take cover!"
He crouches in a corner and lets his shadow envelop him. It's hardly comfortable, and takes a certain amount of will to keep it from lashing out at the bats, but he manages well enough.

Con + Void secrets: 1d20+9 19 covering myself in shadows.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Aah! Bats!" Fortunately, as an experienced partier, Sebastian never goes anywhere without a sunrod or two. He jams his hands into his pockets and manages to come up with a pair of dull yellow rods. He bends them over his knee until they make a cracking noise and they immediately begin to emit a bright light. Waving them around in complicated scatters the bats, who seem to enjoy the sunrods about as much as a hungover Sebastian enjoys the sun.

Evade bats with glowsticks Dex+Lvl+LOTP: 1d20+4+2+4 21
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 36/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[ ]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The Ostraberg siblings react in a variety of different ways, but all achieve what they desire. Astraea immediately hits the deck and aside from a couple of slow movers who get knocked out of the air and land on her back before scurrying away, the bats swarm directly over her head. Alonsius takes cover behind a coffin and wraps himself in darkness, containing the lantern light and protecting himself in one swift move. Whilst the others opt, one way or another, to avoid the bats, Sebastian revels in them. His plan is a risky one, but the speed at which he puts it into action saves him. The bats, a solid wall of screeching black, part around him like waves. The two swarms clash together behind him, then spiral up in a helix towards the ceiling and the paths out. A few rodents remain, those unable or unwilling to break into the afternoon sky, but they are now docile and not a threat.

Alonsius examines the crown, but despite his interest in history, his expertise lie elsewhere. He confirms, however, that it is Elven in design and can even declare with some certainty that it is 8th Age in nature.

The three of you tread carefully through the door and into a long corridor. The walls are dry and crumbling and as the tunnel suddenly slopes down, the air becomes bitter and thick. You had no idea the mausoleum went underground. You come to a second chamber, this one more modern than the last. The coffins are white stone, lighter than the granite of the previous room. They lay undisturbed and though the inhabitants might spring to life at any moment, each is bound with silver chain. If any zombies do come to life, they will be unable to get to you. Again, there are relics resting atop the coffins, but these are more personal and less warlike in nature. It is hard to date them, but it seems that this period of the land's history involved a prolonged stretch of peace. You spot small golden goblets, a long black wand, a rotten teddy bear.

Suddenly, the centre of the room is illuminated with a bright blue light. The light floats in the air, bobbing and weaving for a moment, then expands into a humanoid shape. An elderly knight in armour stands before you, entirely spectral. Unlike the Lords of the previous room, he appears far too ethereal to be of any threat.

"Halt!" his voice pours through from some other place accomapnied with an icy cloud. "What brings you to the mausoleum of clan Ostraberg?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius appears from beneath the shadows, lamp in hand. "Well, that wasn't so bad. If only all we had to deal with was frightened animals."

On the others side of the door, Alonsius looks around the room, and the approaching spectre, with interest.
"Greetings, spirit. We are Alonsius, Astraea, and Sebastian Ostraberg, adopted children of Alexander Ostraberg, fourth in the line of Ostraberg. We seek Alexander, who has locked himself in this place. Who are you, spirit?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The knight takes his knee in a brief gesture of servitude, offering the flat of his sword towards you. He shimmers and flickers as he stands back to his full height.

"You are Alonsius, Astraea, and Sebastian Ostraberg, as it is spoken, so it is true. You are the adopted children of Alexander Ostraberg, as it is spoken, so it is true. He is fourth in the line of Ostraberg? Spoken though it is, it is not true. The Ostraberg name was not born to him, he took it upon serving as Lord of Ostraberg, just as all here did. Forth in his line? Nay. Alexander Ostraberg's father was a fisherman. You seek Alexander, who has locked himself in this place, as it is spoken, so it is true. My name is Ser Karys. I am the protector of this chamber. In life I was faithful servant to Jonias Ostraberg and in death I agreed to serve as sentinel to his tomb. Do not feel pity for me, as I am merely semi-dormant. For centuries I have laid at peace and rest, only to awake when mortal men walk through this chamber and attempt to enter the chamber beyond. Only those who hold the weight of Lord of Ostraberg, or those with intentions pure may enter. Tell me, Alonsius, Astaea and Sebastian Ostraberg, why are you here? What are your intentions? If I judge them true and pure, you may proceed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Oh there's no need to kneel for us. Pleased to meet you, Ser Karys. I hope your watch has been, um, pleasant? We're in a hurry, so none of that genealogy really matters right now, we are here because of an emergency. Did you see father after he locked himself in here? Something has happened and we must save him, so please let us pass!" Astraea looks at Ser Ghost Knight with pleading eyes.

• Locked thread