Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea winces slightly at the screeching noise of the spider-persons voice. "Oh! Um, there's really no need to bring this kind of gift to us, but we are thankful? I hope you don't mind but who are you exactly? I can't say I've seen you here before, although I have been away for a while so maybe you recently moved in?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

"I am Lixash Bel Demru - The One Who Was Born On Mageday And Sang At The Temple Of As'Takka," she says, her mandibles clicking together as she speaks. "We are inhabitants of the surrounding woods. We traded with your father a number of times. We were sad to learn of his impeding and eventual demise. May his secrets remain hidden, and his whispers reach through the night sky."

She gestures to the nearby bovine corpse with multiple arms. The cow has been slaughtered through the slitting of the throat by some kind of razor-sharp blade, but the way its legs bend and the scraps of thick cobweb still clinging to its flank, suggest it has been caroused or trapped prior to its death.

"In our culture, death allows the formerly living to learn the last and most final secrets and all secrets are returned to from whence they came. We provide this food as a term of goodwill in the hope that you will honour his wishes and fulfil the remaining secrets he owed ussss."

Her tone suggests that she expects you to know what she is talking about.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius is still stumbling a little, and he's definitely red. Clearly the situation isn't dire enough to sober him up.
"A fine gift! A pile of bleeding meat more fitting than you know for the late Alexander Ostraberg! Your terms of goodwill are accepted Lish-ash Bel Dem... Demru. And for our part, we'll be certain to fulfill those secrets as soon as we find out what they bloody were."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Please, don't mind my brother. It has been a very stressful day for all of us and he easily gets worked up and cranky if he doesn't get to take a nap." She shoots a vexed glance at Alonsius. "I am Astraea Ostraberg, pleased to meet you Lixash Bel Demru. I'm afraid my brother had a point though, we don't know what father promised you, but he asked us to set things right. If you don't mind would you like to tell us what kind of arrangement you had?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Lixash's eyes glimmer with a curious intelligence beneath her hood and her mandibles part wide in what, you think, must be the equivalent of a smile. Whilst it appears to be friendly, it actually just grants you a glimpse into her hideous mouthparts, a cave full of twitching needles and mucus.

"What we provided is a secret, and our goddess of whispers prizes secrets more than any other bounty. I can assure you that your father benefited well from what we provided. In exchange, he was to grant us access to a section of the tunnels and catacombs which labyrinth their way beneath his hooome. He promisssssed us a very specific area beneath the house for us to nesssst in. It is exception land and will be much prized by us. We wish to move in immediately with the permission of either his children, or whichever of his men take over the running of his essssstate. In exchange, we will be silent and subtle. An access will be burrowed through to the woods, so you shall never see us coming, nor going. We will be like ghosts or whispers: ever present, but never noticed. I ask this permission merely as a formality. The deal was already brokered. I just wish to know that we will not encounter a problem?"

Her voice rises in what could be a threat, or could merely be inquiry. Whilst this appears to be exactly the sort of deal your father would make, the idea of ettercaps roaming the tunnels beneath the house is not necessarily a pleasant one, though these creatures seem to have no interest in harming you. The idea of catacombs beneath the house is also slightly troubling. Why would your father have dug there? What was he looking for...or trying to contain?

Astraea, your experiences in the world as a rogue have left you in possession of a gesture, a sort of secret hand signal shared among those who deal in shadows and secrets. It is subtle to the point of near-invisibility, but those who deal in secrets never fail to recognise it. If you were to show it to Lixash, she may tell you more about what her people did for your father in exchange for the land. On the other hand, the ettercap's goddess is generally considered a violent rival to The Prince of Shadows, and such a gesture may not be thought of as friendly. Even if she is willing to tell you more through honour, it may make things tense for a while...

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Openness seemed like a dead end with this one, though she's not sure why she thought otherwise when it came to ettercaps. Fine, she could do subtlety too. "Father had always been very careful to keep his secrets, from us children especially, something that you seem to have in common. Naturally I won't ask you to give your secret up freely, but it would certainly ease your transition into the catacombs if you would share some details about what you provided our father." Astraea sneaks the hand signal into her normal body language. "Surely such a secret must have lost a lot of value now that he has passed on, and would be a much better token of goodwill than this food, don't you think?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Lixash's body stiffens for just an instant as Astraea flashes the hand signal, then relaxes back into her previous stance.

"Ahhhh," she coos - a sound like static. "I see I am in the presence of one who savours secretsssss... one who keeps whispers for personal gain rather than feeding them to the altar. I just hope that one day you do not conjure so many secrets that you are whisked away by the whispering winds...Very well, if it will help for us to come to an agreement. Your father wished to know things about our goddess of whispers and her ability to altar reality. When a rumour spreads further than the truth, when more believe it, does it not become the truth? We also provided a collection of rare poisons and potionssss, but I do not know why he wished to have them. Now, about our deal, we can have the tunnels burrowed within 24 hours..."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian approaches the corpse apprehensively, muttering "Please don't be a person, please don't be a person, please don't be a person," as he inches closer and closer. With relief, he finds it to be "just" a cow carcass, and he takes a celebratory swig from his wine bottle. Unfortunately, that's when he notices the nature of the gift-giver and chokes, spraying wine all over the lawn. He recovers in time to hear Alonsius making some very foolish promises that Sebastian isn't entirely sure they can keep.

M.c.P posted:

Alonsius is still stumbling a little, and he's definitely red. Clearly the situation isn't dire enough to sober him up.
"A fine gift! A pile of bleeding meat more fitting than you know for the late Alexander Ostraberg! Your terms of goodwill are accepted Lish-ash Bel Dem... Demru. And for our part, we'll be certain to fulfill those secrets as soon as we find out what they bloody were."
"Nooooonono!" says Sebastian as he rushes towards Alonsius. He claps a hand over his brother's mouth and drunkenly whispers "Ssshhhh...sshhhhh...don't sell our souls to the scary bug woman," giving Astraea the time to negotiate and flash some secret hand signals at the creature. Watching Astraea, his face lights up with an idea. "Astraea! You're our diplomat now? Then you'll need this!" Sebastian pats at his pockets, trying to remember where he stashed it, then grabs the magic crown he found earlier and plops it onto Astraea's head. "There! Perfect! Now you look the part." He beams.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius slaps at Sebastian's hand and leans on his shoulder.
"I'll sell my soul to whoever I want, Sebastian. And it can't be worse than putting strange crowns on our baby sister."

"Besides," He mumbles, "I really don't think they'll be taking no for an answer."

He glares blearily at the Ettercaps. What in the world was so important about the caverns below the house?

Int + History: 1d20+9 18 Knowledging at the problem.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As the crown comes to rest on Astraea's head, she feels the unmistakable tingle of magic prickling down her spine. For a moment there is nothing, and then she begins to hear voices. They are faint, distant voices, most of them coming from the woods. They speak with such pace and in such number, that discerning their words is difficult. She catches off snippets of conversation. "...weather is hot, we must...", "...hungry, mother....", "...so much damage, I can repair but it'll...". Whilst the volume never grows above more than the mumble of a crowd, Astraea does feel compelled to rip the crown off. The moment it is removed, the voices stop. It appears the crown allows the wearer to hear the voices of..something. Perhaps the voices belong to those noted as belonging to 'the underground' and the places 'between ground and sky'.

Alonsius tries to determine why the ettercaps would desire the caverns beneath the house. There are obvious reasons: they are likely dark, damp and hidden, things which ettercaps prize in a home. He tries to think further, perhaps the labyrinth contains some of his father's magic in some way? If his father really is as famous in the magical underworld as Castor seems to be suggesting, it might be a vault of undiscovered secrets for the ettercaps to feed to their strange queen. Alonsius knows only a little about their rituals, but then it hits him! An easily defended, possibly magically contaminated space within an already dark and mysterious place would serve as the perfect home to an altar to She Who Spins In Darkness, the ettercap goddess! It's impossible to know for sure, but the creatures likely wish to convert the space to a temple. Though Lixash has attempted to phrase the fact that they shall come and go without notice as a benefit to him and his siblings, it is actually the very nature of the ettercaps - they do not wish to be seen.

Lixash blinks her eyes one-by-one, slowly and curiously. Her claws twitch at her sides.

"Sssso, am I correct to assume that we will encounter no resistance if we begin excavation immediately?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

What the heck was that? Creepy crown. "Do I need to cut you guys off?" Astraea throws the crown high into the air at Sebastian who manages to leap up and catch it with both hands, he looks proud for a moment then realizes he dropped his bottle in the process. "Nice catch."

She turns back to Lixash, looks like she was on her own with her brothers being as they are. "Since the deal has already been made then it seems like we have to oblige. You have our permission to move in, but don't think that means that you've been given a carte blanche to do whatever you wish in our land. I don't want to hear about any kidnappings or other scummy activity or you're out."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Quite right," Alonsius pipes up, ignoring yet another annoyed look from Astraea. "We have responsibilities for the other beings that live in this county. I hope that your residence will not cause incidents with the other people in our care."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Lixash opens her mandibles and performs a strange gesture with all four hands.

"We thank you for honouring your father's agreement with ussss. You may be aware of some disturbance over the next twenty-four hours, but after that we will endeavour to be sssssilent and move without a trace."

She performs the gesture again, waving each arm in turn to meet the others in the middle, then bows. As she goes to leave, Lixash stops and turns back to face you.

"If you ever need to speak to usss, tie something yellow around the bars of the front gate. We will see. We will come."

With that, she turns and walks off down the path and back towards the woods. As the afternoon sun shines down from behind the house, you see multiple clusters of eyes watching her for the darkness.

Castor clears his throat and lets out a long, weary breath.

"Okay children," he says. "As your father's chief adviser I suggest the following: We all go back to the house and drink into we can't feel feelings anymore. Then we sleep late tomorrow, get up, and sort out the paperwork for that snide little bastard, Simon Westfield. Objections?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Objection. I'm going to bed." Alonsius weaves his way back to the house to find his old room. He's had more than enough excitement for one day.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"No objections here. Perhaps when I wake up, this will all have been some terrible nightmare. Here's to hoping." Sebastian heads back inside with Castor.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"I think I'd rather do something a smidge less depressing before I go to bed, sorry. If you need me I'll be outside somewhere, thinking about stuff." Astraea turns back towards the house but climbs up onto the roof instead of entering, then she sits up there and quietly watches the landscape.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alonsius finds his old room with relative ease. Thought it has been cleaned and, from the smell of the sheets, the bedding has been changed, the room looks as though it has remained untouched since he left. The meagre possessions he had left behind when he walked out of Ostraberg House remain exactly as he scattered them about the room. Perhaps it is a touching gesture of a father who did not want to say goodbye to his eldest son, but most likely it was simply a case of the old man never even seeing the room once you left. You suspect Castor was the one to keep it suitable to live in. Sleep comes surprisingly easy (for you), and though your night is as dark and tumultuous as always, you wake up refreshed and ready to face the morning.

Sebastion and Castor return to the dining room where they make their way through a couple more bottles of various drink. Castor's face grows purple and he begins to slur his words slightly as Sebastian grows merry... until he realises there isn't really much merriment to be had. You talk for several hours, mostly about your life since leaving the house. At one point Castor grows suddenly melancholy after an amusing story about how you were expelled from one institution or another.

"I'm sorry," he says plainly. "I'm, I'm, you know, I'm sorry to drag you back here. I know you were probably happier doing... whatever, but your father insisted. I begged him to just let you all, you know, just.... carry on, I suppose. He wouldn't hear a word of it. I know he wanted to protect you and he thought that maybe if you saw the, the, the, what was happening here, then you might take it more seriously, but part of me thinks that you'd have been better off living your lives without knowing and then coming to some foul end unexpectedly as something came to claim its debts, you know? Now this is, this is your life!"

The landscape of Ostraberg is beautiful by warm evening light, and serene by the stars. From her vantage point atop the house, Astraea can see Greenkeep in the distance. As night comes it becomes awash with glowing torches that blink out one by one as the town goes to bed. She keeps an eye out for any sign of the ettercaps, curious to see if they are as subtle as Lixash suggested. When the wind is still and everything else is silent, she does hear the occasional snippet of hissed conversation from the outskirts of the woods, but she never sees anyone at work. In the end, she falls asleep atop the roof, beneath the stars where she feels more comfortable.

---

Despite drinking until the early hours of the morning, Castor is the first awake and working. One by one you make your way down to the dining room, where he has prepared breakfast. The meal is only marginally less magnificent than the one presented before. There are nests of cooked eggs in straw, slabs of toast in every conceivable shade, a pan of gently bubbling porridge over a heating plate with pots of jam and honey arranged around it. There are pitchers of juice in three different tones, and two pots - one full of coffee and one full of Priestess tea. Though he winces ever so slightly at the louder noises of cutlery on china or when glasses clink, Castor appears fine.

"Alright, children. Enjoy your breakfast. We need to conjure up some sort of plan for today. I suspect that word of your father's death will spread extremely quickly. The ettercaps know and keep secrets better than anyone, but they will not be the only ones who have determined such a thing. I suspect your father may have written to some of those whom he was in debt to, and they will no doubt tell the others. Not to say anything of the various charms, hexes and magical forces that will have triggered the moment he drew his last breath. The more that we can do before things begin to unravel, the better the position we shall be in when they do. Did you all sign those blasted contracts?"

Sandbox time! Come up with something you want to do, OR look at the hooks that have been gathered so far in the first post. Pick something important to you or your character, pick something that sounds fun,pick something at random, whatever you like.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius pauses when he sees the room. Precisely as he left it. Alonsius is hit with a wave of nostalgia, back before he had traded shadows. Still, he was exhausted. Alonsius takes the time to light a candle, as was his custom, and leaves it burning through the night.

---

Alonsius eats heartily, taking plenty of sausages and eggs.
"Lovely, as always, Castor. I wonder what pain and destitution lies in our future should we fail."
He takes a swig of juice and continues.
"I was going to the cellars, look for the hidden library I this tome in. Perhaps we should all look through the house, see if our late father provided any information or help with which we could stay ahead of his creditors."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea yawns and stretches her arms. "No, I didn't sign that contract yesterday, but I guess there's nothing keeping me from it anymore." She gets up from the table and grabs the paper then sits back down. "Besides, if I don't then I bet half the budget would go to booze and the other half spent on candles so that certain people can sit and brood in the dark." She stupidly grins at her brothers and jots down her signature while chewing on a piece of toast. A dollop of apricot jam splashes onto the contract, she shrugs and wipes it off with her fingers. "Here!" She sticks the contract up into the air for Castor to grab while shoving a spoon of porridge into her mouth. "Great breakfast uncle Cas, delicious like usual!"

"Alright, let's check out the house today. After that maybe we should..." She hesitates for a moment. "Say farewell to father tonight?"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian stumbles back downstairs after a night of heavy drinking, covering his eyes from the light and wincing at loud noises. "Alright, first order of business. Somewhere in this house there has got to be a miracle hangover cure. Castor clearly knows it. I can't imagine how else you could have woken up to cook all of this." He grabs some coffee and a plate of food and heads for the least brightly lit seat. "You're right Astraea. We need to explore the house first. No doubt there are countless secret doorways and libraries and the sort just waiting to be discovered."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Not exactly a miracle cure," Castor says with a weak smile. He cracks and egg, separates the white and the yolk, drops the white into a glass, then pours a mouthful of rum on top. A twist of black pepper later, and he is sliding it across the table to Sebastian.

He takes the signed contract from Astraea with a little bow, then rolls it up and ties it with a black ribbon from the nearby table.

"Excellent. I don't wish to be presumptuous, but I presume that you wish to keep me on as servant here? I would like to say that I enjoy my work and would very greatly appreciate the chance to help you to correct the mistakes that I helped your father to make. The three of you have enough work to do without having to worry about cooking meals or sending correspondence. I will continue to draw my salary from any gold you make as land owners, and I will claim any expenses in advance from the family treasury. If you would prefer to replace me, then I understand."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea looks worried for a moment. "What? No, of course we don't want to replace you, there's no one that can replace you uncle Cas!"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Castor smiles thankfully.

"I'm glad to hear it," he says, collecting plates.

As you leave Castor to clear the plates, you agree to check out the basement with Alonsius. The doorway to the dusty basement is exactly where you remember it - a single, heavy trapdoor that unveils a ladder into the darkness. A square of light beneath the trapdoor illuminates a dark concrete floor, covered in dust. A fat cockroach scuttles out of the way and vanishes out of sight. Clearly, it has been some time since your father was down here.

Descending into the darkness, your eyes slowly become accustomed to the lack of light. The basement space is exactly as you remember it - full of crates and boxes. There is a far door at the end of the room, but before it there lies a strange mechanism of some kind. Alonsius, this was certainly not here last time you came down in search of answers. What, if anything, the collection of gears and metal does, is hard to tell, but you do see a vial of some kind of liquid in the workings.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Of course we want you to stay, Castor. You're the only one who knows this secret hangover remedy." Sebastian winks.

Down in the basement, feeling much better that earlier, Sebastian spots the strange device. "Don't worry everyone, I'm a trained artificer. Well, I mean, sort of. My training was cut a little short. Did you guys know that inflammable means the same thing as flammable? Because I did not, and let me tell you, that's not a good mistake to make." Sebastian ponders. "On second thought, maybe someone else should take the lead on this one."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Stop! It could be a trap. While I'd love to see you take this one on Seb, traps are one thing that you really should leave to the professionals. Luckily for you two, someone with expertise might be just a tiny bit closer than you think." Astraea grins. "Me!"

She peers at the mechanism from a distance. "That vial looks suspicious. It could shatter and release some sort of gas, or it might be part of the triggering mechanism. Pressure pads and trip wires are so last age, the latest fashion are traps that activate from vibrations. Put a bit of acid in a vial and balance it juuust right so that when some clumsy fool walks by it spills a drop or two onto a taut string, which when broken sets off, well, anything imaginable really. I'm not saying that's what we're dealing here but please remain very still until I can get a better look."

Astraea carefully approaches the device, making sure that she moves as lightly as possible and keeps an eye out for any sort of triggers, or secondary hidden traps in case it's just a distraction.

Is that a trap? (Wis + Astral Cat Burglar): 1d20+1+5+2 27

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 11, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Astraea approaches the mechanism with care, observing the various intricacies of the workmanship. Taking extreme care, she is able to crouch down and examine the object up close. It is, definitely, a trap. Just as she had described, the vial was set to release acid if it was knocked or rocked too gently, burning a trigger which would shatter the vial and spray a mist of acid into the immediate area. What is curious about this particular trap is the material make up - the vial is ancient and topped with a bronze stopper inscribed with alchemical symbols. The trigger appears to be made from a thin ropey weed coiled around some human hair. The hammer is some kind of animal bone and a thimble. Astraea strokes her chin and tries to work out exactly how such a strange trap came to be there. Despite its bizarre, rag-tag components, the trap is expertly constructed and .... OH poo poo IT'LL BE KOBOLDS!

With a flick of her wrist, Astraea clips the hammer from the trap, rendering it safe. Kobolds spring forth from their hiding places in the corners of the room. Two are larger, meatier specimens wielding bone clubs, but the third is smaller and cleverer looking. His ears twitch nervously as he slinks back, pilfered chemical vials in claw. To your surprise, the kobolds are joined by two other creatures, fat and squat goblinoids covered in patchy fur. Porcine noses sniff at the air as their jet black eyes survey the scene. Bigger than the kobolds, theses hobgoblins have managed to equip themselves with weapons and shields and move with the grace of amateur fighters. It is hard to tell whether the kobolds have tricked these two into acting as their muscle and/or goblin shields, or whether the hobgoblins have threatened the kobolds into serving as their flanking rank. Either way, they are charging in to attack!

It seems their are monsters in the basement. Where did they come from? Can they be cleared out?

Roll initiative

Kobold Warrior, Kobold Engineer, Hobgoblin initiative: 1d20+4 24 1d20+8 14 1d20+3 10

Initiative
24 Kobold Warrior G 22/22 AC 18 PD 15 MD 12
24 Kobold Warrior O 22/22 AC 18 PD 15 MD 12
14 Kobold Engineer 45/45 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
10 Hobgoblin R 32/32 AC 19 PD 14 MD 14 Armoured
10 Hobgoblin B 32/32 AC 19 PD 14 MD 14 Armoured
+0 Escalation Die

Alonsius 36/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
Sebastian 36/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

What kind of blockhead hides in the same room he traps? Maybe the trap was a trap? No, that makes no sense. Or does it? Oh right, maybe she should focus on the attackers first!

Initiative: 1d20+6 14

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

Stats		Per Battle		Powers (Momentum)
HP 32/32	[ ] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16   	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Initiative +6				Sure Cut (M)
Momentum: No				Tumbling Strike

Daggers +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Blasted creatures. Get out of here! This isn't your basement! Unless, of course, it is, and nobody told us."

Sebastian draws his scimitar and gets ready for battle.

Initiative: 2#1d20+6 16 18 for my initiative.
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)		Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 36/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)			[X]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)		[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12						[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			
Initiative +6				Cantrips
					Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
MBA: Scimitar +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"More tenants? Well, I can only hope the traps and hostility mean they don't have a lease agreement."
Alonsius shouts at the kobolds.
"You lot! Get out of our house! And leave the alchemical equipment alone!"

Initiative: 2d20k1+1 9

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Stats		At-Will		Recharge		Daily
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[x]Inevitable Fall (16+)
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[x]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 7/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+3

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The beefier kobolds are the first to spring to action, readying their bone clubs and leaping across the room.

The first swings for Sebastian, aiming the knotted end of what might be a leg joint for his head. The blow connects with a nasty thonk! It would be less painful if not for the lurking hangover, but for all of their relative bulk, the kobolds are still little more than crafty scavengers.

The second goes for Alonsius, clutching its club in its mouth as it scuttles across the basement on all fours. It reaches the occultist, drops its weapon into its claws, then swings for his kneecap. There is a nasty crack and for a minute he fears his shin has been splintered. On closer inspection it appears to be the kobold's club. It still hurts though.

Whilst the attacks are weak, you notice a strange level of tactics in the kobold's attacks. These creatures have been taught basic arts of battle (aiming for vulnerable body parts). Generally, kobolds attack en-masse and simply go for whatever they can find. Either the engineer or the hobgoblins have been teaching these ones about human anatomy.

Kobold Warrior Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+8 25 Hit! 4 damage!
Kobold Warrior O Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+8 23 Hit! 4 damage!
Technically, the Engineer should probably go before Astraea, but for posting ease I'm going to let her go with Seb!

Initiative
24 Kobold Warrior G 22/22 AC 18 PD 15 MD 12
18 Sebastian 32/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
14 Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13

9 Alonsius 32/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
+0 Escalation Die

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"I don't think they're much for talking you guys!" Astraea attempts to fade into the shadows but she just can't concentrate hard enough, frustated she flicks a throwing knife towards the kobold across the room but it clatters harmlessly across the floor.

"Then again it doesn't hurt to try! Hey you, nice trap, maybe lay down your arms and we'll talk about it? No?" The air around her begins to shimmer. "Didn't think so."

Shadow Walk: 1d20+5 9 vs 14 MD, miss!

Flying Blade vs Kobold Warrior G: 1d20+6 13 vs AC, miss. 2 Miss Damage. Stupid kobolds.

Halo: +2 defences until hit by something.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16 (+2)	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16 (+2)				Evasive Strike
MD 13 (+2)				Flying Blade

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Still reeling from the double-headache, Sebastian takes a wild swing with his scimitar and is rewarded when it cuts deep into the creature's side. "Astraea, they might come for you! Look out!"

MBA at orange green, (I can't read maps) vs AC: 1d20+6 25 2d8+4 15 damage. Triggers Stay Strong! so Astraea can take another +2 to AC until the start of my next turn on top of her halo. Assuming they stack.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 32/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 11, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With a nasty hiss, the kobold cowering behind a hobgoblin, rears up onto its hind legs and stands as tall as its little body will allow it.

"Back! Back!" It yelps. "This our place, now! Back! You break our traps! You break our traps!"

It clutches a beaker filled with frothing blue liquid in one claw, leans back, then tosses it in a smooth arc towards Astraea. The vial strikes, but through careful footwork and impeccable balance, the rouge is able to stop the bottle from shattering and lets it roll down her spine, over her heel, and lets it come gently to a stop on the ground instead.

"Kill it! Kill it!" the engineer snaps to the nearest hobgoblin who, with a reluctant snort, runs forward.

His armour is far more advanced than anything worn by the kobolds, but it is mismatched and unwieldy and as he swings his mace for Astraea's head, she is easily able to sidestep the blow.

Seemingly unperturbed by his partner's poor performance, the second hobgoblin gangs up on Alonsius, swinging his mace around his head.

Kobold Engineer Vs Astraea PD: 1d20+5 14 miss!
Hobgoblin R vs Astraea AC: 1d20+7 8 miss!
Hobgoblin B Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+7 15 hit! 8 damage!

Kobolds are evasive and thus, not harmed on a miss!

Initiative
24 Kobold Warrior G 7/22 AC 18 PD 15 MD 12
14 Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 +2DefUhit +2ACUSeb
9 Alonsius 24/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
+0 Escalation Die

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius finds himself surrounded by ugly goblinoids.
"Blasted things. I can't control my magic with these things in my face!"
Alonsius doesn't have the space to focus, but he's still a swordsman. He swings and leaves a heavy wound on the kobold in front of him.

Disengage check: 1d20 7 fails
Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+6 23 2d8+3 11 against the orange kobold

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 24/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The kobold warriors are already showing signs of injury, their cuts and wounds clearly visible. One is eager to fight on, hoping to kill Alonsius before he can be vanquished in return. The other has had enough, dropping the bone to the ground, it drops to all fours and scurries back to the crates. You hear it shuffling through what must be cracks in the walls, and then running into the distance. Alonsius pays the fleeing foe a little too much attention, and receives another smack to the knee for his mistake!

Kobold disengage: 1d20 20
Kobold O Vs Alonsius: 1d20+8 18 hit! 4 damage!

Initiative

24 Kobold Warrior O 11/22 AC 18 PD 15 MD 12
14 Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 +2DefUhit +2ACUSeb

9 Alonsius 20/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
+1 Escalation Die

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian blinks and the kobold in front of him has disappeared, quickly scampering into some dark crack in the basement walls. "Hold on brother! I think Astraea and I can take this one out quickly!" Sebastian charges forward towards the hobgoblin but unfortunately, his scimitar finds only armor.

MBA at red vs AC: 1d20+7 18 2d8+4 14 2 miss damage. 11+ triggers Pull It Together!, so Alonsius can heal with a recovery, whenever his Occultist thing allows him to anyway.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 32/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Throwing suspicious vials and screeching 'Kill it!' is not very nice! The only thing I did was disable your trap and hurt your pride a bit maybe, there's no reason to be so murderous about it!" Astraea says to the engineer as she's dancing around the hobgoblin.

She manages to find an opening in the hobgoblin's armor as he is distracted by Sebastian and quickly jabs him with one of her daggers, drenching the blade in blood. "Sorry, I can't really hold back when you're trying to brain me with a mace."

Astraea ducks to the ground to avoid a retaliatory strike and picks up the vial that was tossed at her in the process. What's in this thing anyway? "Hey, mister trapmaker, you dropped this. Catch!" She throws the frothing beaker back at the engineer.

Tumbling Strike vs. Hobgoblin R: 1d20+6+1 22 vs AC, hit! 2d8+4+1d6 (Sneak attack) 13 Damage. Unless that armored status reduces it?
Gain momentum.

Spent momentum to Swashbuckle! Hot Potato!: 1d20+6+1 Natural 20! 27

Tumbling Disengage: 1d20+5 7, Nope.

Halo still going!

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16 (+2)	[X] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16 (+2)				Evasive Strike
MD 13 (+2)				Flying Blade

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The vial shatters against the ground at the kobold engineer's feet and he is immediately enveloped in a burst of noxious green fumes. He screams inside, spluttering and choking on the gasses and hissing with pain as the acids inside the vile burn his flesh. With a screech, the engineer leaps forth from the gases and swings an empty glass beaker like a club for Astraea's head. The glass cracks, but does not shatter, dispelling the halo of protection and leaving her with a nasty bump!

Fortunately for Astraea, the hobgoblin turns, its attention diverted to Sebastian. With a nasty snarl, it swings its mace as hard as it can. Sebastian manages to take the attack to the chest, rather than the skull, but its still a nasty assault.

On the other side of the room, the other hobgoblin's nostrils flare. It stares down Alonsius and raises its mace and swings for the occultist's stomach. Alonsius spirals away and the mace connects with nothing but cloth.

Kobold Damage: 1d4+1 3
Kobold Engineer Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+8 27 Hit! 8 damage and Astrae's halo is dispelled!
Hobgoblin R Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+7 22 Hit! 8 damage!
Hobgoblin B Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+7 13 Miss!

Initiative
24 Kobold Warrior O 11/22 AC 18 PD 15 MD 12
18 Sebastian 24/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
14 Astraea 24/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
14 Kobold Engineer 42/45 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13 3Ongoing
10 Hobgoblin R 17/32 AC 19 PD 14 MD 14 Armoured
+1 Escalation Die

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius is yet surrounded by the two monsters.
"I'm hardly an easy target. En garde!"
He darts forward quickly and stabs the kobold right through the heart!
"Come on then, ugly bastard!" He turns to face the hobgoblin.

Disengage check: 1d20-1 1 fails
Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+7 26 2d8+3 11 damage to orange kobold warrior, he's dead!

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 24/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The second of the larger kobolds collapses, attempts to retreat, then lies still.

Initiative
18 Sebastian 24/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
14 Astraea 24/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13

14 Kobold Engineer 42/45 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13 3Ongoing
10 Hobgoblin R 17/32 AC 19 PD 14 MD 14 Armoured
+1 Escalation Die

• Locked thread