Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea looks a bit disappointed as the lights around her flicker out. "Ok, enough of that now." She spots an opening as the hobgoblin once again attacks Sebastian and plunges her daggers into its back.

Tumbling Strike vs. Hobgoblin R: 1d20+6+2 Another natural 20! 28 vs AC, Critical hit! 2d8+4+1d6 14 28 Damage.

Tumbling Disengage: 1d20+5 7, Unsuccessful.

If I get hit by a melee attack targeting my AC, use Roll With It to cut the damage in half.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

Stats		Per Battle		Powers (Momentum)
HP 24/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16   	[X] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Initiative +6				Sure Cut (M)
Momentum: Yes				Tumbling Strike

Daggers +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Astraea drops the hobgoblin, and with the engineer focused on the one who threw his potion back, he's completely open for Sebastian's attack. Sebastian swings and draws blood, adding to the number of gross fluids currently covering the kobold. "Astraea, I can finish this one off, you should go help Alonsius."

Alonsius gets his delayed healing now. Rolling it to speed things up. Alonsius's recovery: 2d6+2 7 health! Not a great roll, sorry!
MBA on engineer vs AC: 1d20+6+2 20 2d8+4 12 damage.
Triggers Move It!, Astraea can make a disengage check which I will also roll to speed things along.
Astraea's granted disengage check: 1d20 20. Great, that's where I want to roll natural 20's. At least you get to disengage! Hopefully that's a thing you still want to do.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)		Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 24/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)			[X]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)		[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12						[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			
Initiative +6				Cantrips
					Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
MBA: Scimitar +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

With a snorting grunt, the hobgoblin's eyes roll back in its head and it collapses to the ground. It seems that all its armour did little to protect it this time, but perhaps the second hogoblin will benefit more from his.

As Astraea slips away from the engineer's clutches, it flicks its tongue at Sebastian, tasting the air. Droplets of blood run down its stomach and drip to the floor as it swings the beaker like a great glass club.

Whilst Alonsius finds himself encouraged by Sebastian's acts of cunning and valour on the battlefield, perhaps of greater note is his quickness of foot as the second hobgoblin swings its mace. Once again, the occultist is able to gracefully dodge the blow, eliciting a serious of furious grunts and growls from his hairy opponent.

Engineer Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+8 20 Hit! 8 damage!
Ongoing Damage: 1d20 7 Miss! Kobold Engineer takes 3 ongoing damage!
Hobgoblin B Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+7 9 Miss!

Initiative
18 Sebastian 16/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
14 Astraea 24/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 RollWithIt

14 Kobold Engineer 27/45 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13 3Ongoing
10 Hobgoblin B 32/32 AC 19 PD 14 MD 14 Armoured
9 Alonsius 27/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
+2 Escalation Die

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

After a glass beaker to the head leaves Sebastian's vision goes blurry and he finds himself facing down not one, but two foes! He takes a swing at one of the kobold engineers in front of him and is surprised when his weapon goes right through it. Sebastian rubs at his eyes in confusion and the blurriness fades as the pair of kobolds coalesce back into one. Apparently, the head injury combined with the acid fumes are getting to him.

MBA on engineer vs AC: 1d20+6+3 12 2d8+4 14 The boringest roll.
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 16/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

The Hobgoblin just fell over? But it had looked so strong... "Oh, ok Seb! Just that I know you like hitting the bottle, try to avoid it this time? Al, hang on, I'm coming!" Astraea sets off towards Alonsius' opponent and while taking it by surprise doesn't manage to pierce its armor.

Move to engage remaining Hobgoblin.

Sure Cut vs Hobgoblin: 1d20+6+3 13 vs AC, miss! 2+1d6 5 miss damage.

Keep Rolling With It.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Good of you to join, hm? I'm sure I had him handled though."
Alonsius tries to put on a confident face, but he's looking pretty worried. The hobgoblin is still threatening him, and he swings hard against the creature, but only leaves a bruise on him through the armor.

Disengage check: 1d20 7 oh come on
Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+8 18 2d6+3 9 miss, 2 damage.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Stats		At-Will		Recharge		Daily
HP 31/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[x]Inevitable Fall (16+)
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[x]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 7/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+3

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 13, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The hobgoblin doesn't appear pleased at the prospect of having two attackers focusing him down. His dark eyes squint over to a nearby crate, and it is only when you follow that you realise that the crate is shuffling and rocking in place. You hear the muffled grunts and giggles of goblins on the other side, clearly unable to shift its weight and thus trapped, probably in a tunnel behind the basement wall. Lowering his mace, the hobgoblin attempts to dart away from Alonsius and Astraea, but he is quickly trapped in the corner, leaving the goblins out of the fight for now! They continue to hammer on the crate with whatever weapons they have managed to throw together, but it is just too heavy and the tunnel constricts their movement too much for them to shift it. Resigned to stay where he is, the hobgoblin turns back to Astraea and swings, but his mace connects with the ground instead.

Across the room, the kobold engineer is beginning to look concerned. He takes a vial from his belt, shakes it violently in one clawed hand, then launches it up in the air. Sebastian has a moment to strike before the vial explodes in his face. There is a blinding pain in his eyes as the bright light and a few flying shards of glass rip past him. Momentarily blinded, Sebastian stumbles back and hears a click. From the ceiling, a bound stack of logs swing down and hit him in the chest, sending him flying back against the wall. He manages to shake the dizzyness off, but he is hurting bad.

Hobgoblin Disengage: 1d20-1 6 Nope!
Hobgoblin B Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+7 14 Miss!
Kobold Engineer Vs Sebastian PD: 1d20+5 18 Hit! Grants Sebastian an Opportunity Attack! 4 damage and Sebastian is disengaged!
Ongoing Damage: 1d20 12 Success! Takes 3 damage, but never again!

Kobold Engineer doesn't take damage on a miss!

Initiative
18 Sebastian 12/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12 STAG

14 Kobold Engineer 24/45 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
10 Hobgoblin B 27/32 AC 19 PD 14 MD 14 Armoured
+3 Escalation Die

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Nope, not quite good enough to hit me. You might as well give up to be honest!" In one fluid motion Astraea follows up her dodge with a surprisingly powerful strike.

Sure Cut vs Hobgoblin B: 1d20+6+4 21 vs AC, hit! 2d8+4+1d6 21 Damage.

~Roll With It~

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Whatever was going on in that tunnel, it concerned Alonsius. But more important was to take care of these creatures here. Hopefully the tunnel would hold for a moment longer.
With the Hobgoblin on the defensive, Alonsius can step away for a moment and concentrate on his magic. The darkness deepens momentarily.
"Very droll, Astraea. It would be better received if those bottles were not in service of killing us, you know."

Disengage check: 1d20 20 all these crit disengages.
Move next to that crate.
Gain Focus

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian is taken by surprise by the completely ridiculous trap - how could those kobolds have gotten those logs into the basement and installed without anyone noticing, he wonders idly as he goes flying across the room. After landing, he takes a moment to check his injuries and clear his head. This is really not the time to be thinking about kobold trap logistics. Sebastian picks himself up off the ground and lunges for the engineer. He scores only a minor hit, but it gives him a surge of confidence.

OA on engineer that I guess I am supposed to make?: 1d20+6+3 12 2d8+4 13 miss.
Move to re-engage engineer.
'nother MBA on this engineer vs AC: 1d20+6+4 21 2d8+4 6 damage. Hit! For minimum damage! Baby steps, I guess. Triggers Pull It Together! for myself.
Recovery roll: 2d8+2 11
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 27/36	[X]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 3/8 (2d8+2)			

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

When Sebastian strikes, he finds himself almost pushed forward, turning the shallow wound I to a far deeper one.

Sebastian's attack triggers Better Yet, Here!
Better Yet vs MD: 1d20+9 19 hits, 2d6+3 10 damage to the kobold engineer.
Focus spent

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

After a far more profitable round of attacks from the party, Sebastian finds himself feeling a bit better about the situation. The hobgoblin and engineer, however, are really starting to show signs of injury.

The hobgoblin turns and runs for the crate, ignoring the fact that turning his back on an angry rogue is a terrible idea. With a smile, Astraea lunges, slicing only as deep as necessary to fall the hobgoblin. He grunts and squeals, takes a few steps towards the twitching crate, then collapses. His tongue lulls from his mouth and his eyes roll back into his head.

The kobold, being forced back by Sebastian, shields its face and swings wildly with the heavier beaker. The aching lumps on the bard's head throb at the sight of the heavy glass, but the kobold is swinging way off target and fails to connect.

Astraea OA Vs Hobgoblin: 1d20+6+4 29
Damage: 2d8+4 11
Kobold Engineer Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+8 14 Miss!

Kobold Engineer doesn't take damage on a miss!

Initiative
18 Sebastian 21/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12 STAG

14 Kobold Engineer 8/45 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
+4 Escalation Die

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius huffs to himself.
"Feeling like a common mercenary, as much as I'm using my sword against these things. Well, may as well finish this."

Alonsius darts in against the last remaining kobold from the side and easily slays it.
"Now that that's out of the way, what in the world are these things doing here?"

Engage kobold,
Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+10 25 2d8+3 12 It's dead

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 27/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The kobold barks and whimpers as Alonsius' sword spills its blood across the floor.

The goblins on the other side of the crate continue to shuffle and fidget against it in an attempt to get into the room, but without assistance they are merely a pest in the walls. You examine the room for any signs of how the creatures may have got in, but aside from the fact they appear to be moving through a network of burrows behind the walls of the basement proper, there are no obvious signs of where they have come from. Most likely the source of the infestation will be somewhere else in the building and the more you consider it, the more it seems obvious. Your father had probably not been down here for a long time by the look of things, and in this part of The Dragon Empire, empty dark spaces fill with monsters pretty quickly.

Working from memory, Alonsius leads his siblings through the corridors and hallways. The basement is a strange and sprawling thing, and though you see no other monsters between the trapdoor and the library you are heading for, there is evidence. Splashes of blood, small piles of bones, even scraps of clothing and discarded armour. There is a patch of wall that has partially caved in, the edges of which are scorched and burnt as if by some fire-breathing (or casting) beast.

The library is pretty much as you remember it. It is one of many within the house, but it is the one that is most memorable to Alonsius. Knowing Alexander, there are probably dozens, maybe even hundreds, of collections of equally terrifying and dangerous books in the manor, but this is the one that was occupying his father's attention at the time, and thus the one that left Alonsius cursed. There are four great bookcases arranged in a square with all the tomes facing inwards. Glancing around the various shelves, Alonsius remembers how it felt all those years ago. He makes his way along the shelves towards where his book came from, but as he grows closer, his heart sinks. Ahead he sees a section of shelf where there are no books, rather there is a visible absence. On the rest of the shelves there are various gaps where books have been removed, but the area where his shadow tome came from has been gutted.

"Well..." a deep voice rolls from behind you.

Turning, you notice a circle of chalk, clay and blood etched in the centre of the books. Within it, a faint pink smoke rolls lazily around, never crossing the boundary.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Who is there?!" Astraea pulls her daggers and spins around and to come face to face with... No one? She rolls her eyes and sheathes her weapons. "Oh, ha ha, Sebastian. You got me. Using magic is cheating though, and you shouldn't play around here with it, the place could be warded... Huh. Guys, what's up with that smoke? Do you think the circle is keeping it trapped like in the mausoleum?"

Taking an average recovery up to max.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[ ] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16   	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius steps forward into the library.
"no no No NO NO! What would the point of this be? What possibly was he trying to hide? How can I reverse this curse if that damned reprobate constantly puts these obstacles in my way?"

Alonsius whips around at the noise and sees the circle in the floor.
"And who are you? What accursed deal did our father strike to trap you in this place? Well, come on then!"

Average recovery to full
Int + Void Secrets: 1d20+11 28 who's this now?

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		
Recoveries 6/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
[/quote]

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alonsius assesses the situation. The blood, the ash, the symbols are all fairly standard, but to include clay? This is a very specific circle, one of containment and demonic influence. More so, he quickly determines that this is an extremely powerful and highly complex spell. Only a very powerful warlock or demonologist of some kind would be able to keep the necessary magic flowing through so many connections, nexuses and loops in a circle. Whatever is trapped inside is powerful, and by virtue of that, extremely dangerous.

The swirling pink smoke grows thicker and thicker until it is a thick tumultuous swamp of fog. It turns in on itself and then dissipates, revealing a huge monstrous form. At first you think it may be a dragon of some kind, but as it grows clearer, you realise that its face is that of a goat. Its body is tall, broad and muscular, with multiple arms, one of which holds a golden trumpet.

His long goat face turns and observes the three of you in turn. A long pink tongue extends a licks at its snout.

"Greetings. Aaah, someone who recognises magic I see. There was no deal struck to trap me here, just torturous magic. Your father? Then you are the spawn of Alexander Der Ostraberg? Yes, yes, your father. He summoned me here and trapped me, then siphoned and leeched away my powers to fuel his own. What he did to me was not only a breech of ... etiquette, but a complete dismissal of the very laws of nature itself. I have been sealed within this circle for many, many years and it is greatly limiting my ability to learn and flourish. Might I ask that one of you breaks the circle and sets me free?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius raises an eyebrow.
"We shall do nothing of the sort."

He begins to browse the other remaining books for more information.
"And in point of fact I think I shall dismiss you to whatever hell you came from. Sebastian, Astraea, help me find books on... demonology, binding rituals, and aetherial gateways. Its high time we proceeded with some evictions."

Int + Void Secrets: 1d20+11 21 browsing the library for the magical hoo haa needed to get rid of this thing.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		
Recoveries 6/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The goat demon chuckles and rolls its eyes.

"That's EXACTLY what I want. Breaking the circle will do as much. I just thought I'd make it easier for you, but go ahead, do it the hard way if that is how you desire." He points with all four clawed fingers towards the top shelf. "Rizmal'halud's The Depths of The Abyss should tell you the necessary dismissal spell. I'm sure you'll presume this is some sort of deception, but all I want is to be dismissed from this horrible imprisonment. It has been many years since I have covered with anything other than the occasional goblin... I need to be free. There is an incentive for you three also - by virtue of my bindings, those who free me enter into a contact."

He claps his two lower hands and a large, leather-bound tome appears wrapped in thick silver chains. With a gesture of one hand the book is freed and flies open to a blank page.

"I know all things that people know. Free me and you may ask me a question and I shall answer truthfully. You may ask now, or may save it for the future where you may summon me by speaking my true name, but I shall not reveal my name until you have freed me. Such is the contract I must offer, such is my offering. How does that tempt you, sons and daughter of Alexander?"

Looking on the shelf, Alonsius finds the book the demon indicated. Flipping through the pages, he eventually finds a crude sketch of the demon standing before them. The writing beside it is in some demonologist's alphabet, but so far as he can tell at a quick glance, what the demon says is true.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Wow, a real demon standing right there talking to us? Home had seemed so simple before, now it's just getting weirder and weirder. Surely we can't trust it?

Astraea tries to not seem too bewildered by the appearance of the demon, probably not succeeding too well at it. "So you just want to be set free from your tiny prison? That doesn't seem too bad, I'd probably do it without any reward. But what are you going to do after we release you? I can't say I've ever heard of a demon perform any good deeds. While I don't think anyone should be imprisoned like this I wonder if we won't just cause more harm if we set you free. Are you just going to go back to the Abyss or what are your plans?"

Tell us! (Charitable Celestial + Cha): 1d20+4+3+2 15

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Spending an average surge to get back to full.

Sebastian listens to the demon in faint horror. How long has this thing been living in their basement? Right under their noses."Excuse me. My siblings and I need to discuss this." Sebastian brings his siblings to a corner of the room where the supernatural goat demon totally can't overhear them, and whispers frantically. "Oh gods, we can't leave this thing in the basement. How do we know some kobold isn't going to wander by and erase part of the circle? Hell, those ettercaps might do it after they finish tunneling in. And if anyone else frees him, then he's under no obligation to leave us alone. But if we are the ones to free him, then at least we're protected. If he's telling the truth, that is."

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 36/36	[X]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 2/8 (2d8+2)			

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The demon strokes its chin at Astraea's question.

"When you dispell this cursed circle, I return to when I was summoned from - one of the deeper levels of the abyss. I remain there until you call for me by my true name, at which point I am conjured in some minor shadow of my true self, an imp or something comparable. You ask your question, and I answer it. There are some rules regarding questions but there are not many. Someone, somewhere must know the answer or I must be able to deduce it using my vast magical cosmic powers. Whilst you have one or more questions remaining, I am bound not to harm you in any way. After that..." his voice trails off. "Well you would just have to take my word, wouldn't you? But I am no Diabolist, and I take no merriment in twists of fate or ironic punishments. You would be the ones who freed me, I would have repaid your kindness with the boon of my answers, and from there we would be done. If our paths, by chance, crossed again then I would have no reason to harm you, but I very much doubt they would. I have spent long enough in this realm to last me a while. By the time I return I suspect your short, mortal lives will be long since over."

The goat demon bows with all four arms as Sebastian motions the group away.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Yeah I think you're right Seb, we better set him free ourselves. If we don't then he might come and try to get revenge when we least expect it, if he's lying about not harming us and we set him free now at least we'll be ready to face him, unless he's really strong I guess? I'm sure we'll be fine!" Astraea throws a quick glance over her shoulder at the goat demon. "It might sound silly but I feel a bit bad about him being stuck in that tiny circle for so long too... If he's just going home to the Abyss then we're not doing a bad thing right?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius looks up from The Depths of the Abyss (the tome, that is) and answers.
"Near as I can tell... this book agrees with him. The spell should ensure our safety, and that thing should be well on its way to the pits."

Alonsius snaps the book closed and ponders.
"I don't know if we can refuse this contract. I'd suggest taking care of it now. Three of us, three questions. Anyone have any burning desire for certain knowledge?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"If you have your questions, you may ask," the demon purrs. "If not, then let me free and you shall have my name in exchange. You, occultist, work your craft."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius turns to the demon.
"Questions abound, but I feel the sooner this business is concluded, the better. Three questions, then, one for each of us."

Alonsius double checks he has everything correct in the tome, and begins the ritual.
"Demon, I hereby release you from bondage, to return to the twisting nether from whence you came. Inhabit this plane no longer, save to heed the call of the contract which binds us all."

Alonsius, cautiously, finishes the spell.
"Now, before you go, my question." He gestures at the empty bookshelves around the room. "Where have the tomes which were previously here been taken?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Oh yeah, that's a good question." Astraea thinks for a moment but can't come up with something that she really need to know right now. "Um, I think I'll wait with my question for now. Maybe later?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The demon lifts the trumpet to its lips and blows through it. The sound that rasps forth is not an instrumental one, but rather a minor key note as if chanted by an infinite choir. Whilst it is a loud sound, it is more the sheer density of the noise that hits you. As he takes it away, there is a thin smile on his lips.

As you watch, there is a burst of pink smoke which unveils a floating black quill tipped with a human finger bone. It scribbles your names within the tome, then both are wrapped in chains and disappear.

"Very well, mortals. I thank you for freeing me from this infernal circle. In accordance with the contract that governs me, I tell thee my true name three times. Hazkabalix, Hazkabalix, Hazkabalix. Know it and call it any time or any place and I shall grant you the knowledge thou seek according to the terms."

The circle glows for a moment and then burns with an inferno of white light. It dies slowly, leaving only a scorched mark on the floor.

"Question the first. The tomes you seek were taken by your father and gifted to three. They were divided into separate collections and though one has remained with its original owner, the other two have changed hands. The first collection can be found extremely close. It is the property of one of your father's apprentices, Krenkara of House Oblitzi. She currently resides at The Red Fox Inn at the village of Walkern. The second collection is further afield. It is currently part of a merchant's stock in the city of Glitterhagan. The merchant is known as The Golden Hand and he is not to be underestimated. The third and final part of the collection rots in a waterlogged chest...somewhere around the island of Felicity in The Midland Sea. No man knows where it rests, so I cannot be more precise, but there is a creature who lives there with no name. It gathers treasures from the sea as part of its horde. Find the creature and I believe you will find the final part of the collection. Thus the question is answered and answered in a manner satisfactory to the contract. Two questions remain. I shall be gone."

Without another word there is a blast of pink smoke and the demon has vanished.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Ah, blast, I was just about to ask him about hangover cures. I fear this house is going to drive me to an alcoholic stupor that no mortal elixer can treat." Sebastian waits a moment before adding, "Only joking, of course. So, Alonsius, it seems at least one of your leads is fairly close by. And at an inn, no less. How lucky!"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Did you hear Hazka- Uh, I should probably not say his name. Anyway, did you hear him say that she's one of father's apprentices? I didn't even know he had any! Maybe she knows more about what father didn't tell us." Astraea looks at the pink smoke for a moment as it dissipates. "We're done here for now, right? Let's go up to the house. It's hard to tell what the time is down here, maybe we still have time to travel to Walkern today." She looks thoughtful for a second and adds. "But if we want to take care of father's remains today then it might be best if we go tomorrow."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

You all have a look over the remainder of the book shelves, and although there are some interesting and rare tomes within the collection, there is nothing that stands out as obviously useful or of relevance right now. Opting to leave them where they are for the meantime, you return to the house. The noise of creatures in the walls follows you. Alongside the chuckle and gabble of goblins, you do hear larger shapes moving, dragging things around. Monster infestations are common in areas like this in this part of the world and any time that you wish to practise your combat skills or clear out a little, it shouldn't take much exploring to come across something nasty that needs dispatching.

Castor notices that you have returned empty handed, but he doesn't comment.

"Walkern is a way away," he mutters. "Whatever your business is there, if you take the horses I have no doubt you'll be there by nightfall but you won't be coming back in the light. I know there are places to stay there, The Weather Cock and The Red Fox Inn are your best bets. I don't know what your business is, but if you left early in the morning you would have most of the day there before you had to return, if you wanted to do it all in one day I mean. Starfall Lake on the other hand is pretty close. Even if you did want to take your time paying your respects out there, the journey back is generally simple and safe enough that you could do it in darkness."

Have some in character talk, what do you want to do next? You can go chase up the first apprentice, or bury Alexander's bones, pick another hook from the OP to investigate, or make something up of your own!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"We should probably leave Walkern for another day. Who knows what horrors lurk in Ostraberg during the night? Which just leaves Starfall Lake."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius stands in silence, saying nothing as Castor explains the situation. He's not really paying attention, and you hear him mumble.
"Apprentice, hm? I wonder if we could have been the same."

Finally he snaps out of it.
"I agree, the tomes can keep for a little longer. We should go to Starfall."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Yes I think so too, it may be hard but we should get it done as soon as we can. I was thinking we could let the wind scatter the ashes across the lake, but what should we do with the rest? Castor, do we have a coffin or did he ever say anything to you how he wanted things to be done?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"I have a feeling he never contemplated about the fact he may die, much less make arrangements. I think scattering the ashes would be best, maybe if we can find a good cliff to throw them from."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Made a post then lost it, pretend this is better than it is

The walk through the woods to Starfall Lake is pleasant. There is enough of a breeze to stop the air growing thick and sticky, and the various brightly coloured flora and fauna stop your spirits sinking too low.

Castor is sombre as you walk along the dirt tracks. He is quiet and contemplative. The lines in face grow thicker and his eyes are ringed with darkness.

"It's strange," he says at one point. "I never knew exactly what your father was up to, but I had seen him as an old man for a very long time. And yet I never had any doubt that he would be attending my funeral, rather than the other way round. It is very strange for one to find oneself at an event one never expected to see. There's something rather eerie about the whole thing."

You walk down a short, shallow slope, then break through a grove of thick trees and out into Starfall Lake. The grass is long and wild, the waters still and clear. Thin swarms of insects dance around the lake and huge lazy catfish hang in the waters, bathing in the last rays of the afternoon sun. At the northern edge of the waters is a craggy rock growth atop which lays a flat edge. It was here, according to the stories, that Alexander found Astraea. There is a sudden burst of noise as three ducks come flying down, quacking, to land in the lake.

Overall it's a beautiful afternoon.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea slowly walks up to the edge of the outcrop with her eyes closed, she was not worried that she might fall for she knew this place well. She feels the warm yellow light from the low hanging sun on her face and listens to the idle sounds of the lake and the animals around it. Her mind fills with serenity. She opens her eyes and looks down at the glistening lake and takes in the beauty of it.

She takes the pouch with her father's ashes in her palm and removes the string that holds it together. It neatly opens up and bares its contents to the air. She feels a warm breeze on her back and she raises the pouch up towards the lake. She watches the pile of ashes slowly disappear as the wind carries it over the lake.

"Father. I had hoped to see you one last time but now we have to say goodbye. It does not matter to me what anyone says or what you might have done, I know there was good in you and I will always remember you that way. No man should have to live forever and the great burden you placed on yourself must have weighed you down so heavily, I hope you will find peace now that you have finally let go. I will miss you but do not worry about me or my siblings, we can take care of ourselves now and we will set everything right. Your legacy will not be a dark one."

She looks up to the sky with tears in her eyes but a trembling smile on her lips. "This is where we first met and where we will have to part. Father, I will love you always. Goodbye."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius stands stoically. A few moments after Astraea finishes, he speaks up.
"Father, I suppose I didn't really say goodbye before. In truth, I never thought I'd be the one to bury you. These... problems, these debts, I can't imagine the scope of them, but I don't blame you. I understand it, I understand the want of knowledge and power that brings people like us to these limits. But I will prove stronger, and the Ostrabergs will become a name to respect and honor again."

He continues to stand, grim faced, and watches the sun set over the lake.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Father, I know you've been cleaning up messes all these years. I'm sure you're the reason I was never charged with anything after getting kicked out of university. And I'm sure your influence had some part in covering up my background when I applied to new places. But you're gone now, and it looks like now I'm going to be the one cleaning up your messes now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The ashes spread in a thin cloud, flowing out on the breeze like dust. Some of them are tossed and thrown through the air, others settle on the surface of the lake. It's a slightly disconcerting image, but you suppose that it is just what happens when ashes are scattered over water.

"Master Alexander," Castor says quietly. "I'm not sure what the relationship between us was. I dare say we were friends, but even if not, I spent many years in your service and in that time I venture I grew to know you very well. Though I suspect we may never uncover every little secret, some of your children have gathered and it appears they intend to do as you have asked." He opens and closes his mouth a few times, searching for the right words. "Rest easily, sir."

The ashes are now gone but there is still a collection of bones to deal with, including Alexander's skull.

• Locked thread