Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius flips his cane around, making sure its locked in, ready to beat about these fellows with the sheathe. These folks, as far as they were from the trade routes, shouldn't recognize the strangeness of Alonsius' magic... though it might be prudent to keep it from getting too unruly.

"You'll regret letting me use my spells. Come on then! Let the best man win!"

Initiative: 1d20k1+1 21 hm, think I screwed up notation but I got a 20 so... eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Using Socker's roll for Sebastian to keep things moving.

Warming up before the crowd, the three men quickly fall into formation. Fat Orris reaches into his pockets and brings out a tattered envelope of white powder. He sprinkles a liberal helping over his knuckles, and grits his teeth as... something happens. He then pounds one fist into the palm of the other and is rewarded with small burst of flame that shoots between his fingers.
Lucky holds a wooden staff before himself in a very defensive pose, and mutters under his breath.
Finally, Barrow flexes his thick muscles and draws a long ragged whip from his belt. Its less a whip than it is a stretch of rope that he probably uses to bind cattle during the day.
The men are tough, but their weaponry is cheap local faire and their armour is non-existent. If you were fighting them to kill, you would end this in seconds. But you're not. You're fighting with restraint and to gain respect. Their armour is your restraint.

From keeping an eye on the key players in the crowd, you find yourselves able to judge the mood. You're going to struggle to make everyone happy, but you can hopefully improve things what what you say, do, and how you do it.

Orris moves first, his heavy weight hiding his great strength and speed. He ducks low and comes up swinging a meaty fist right for Alonsius. He connects, hard in the jaw. There is a crunch and then stars obscure the occultist's view and finds himself reeling, unable to tell who is standing before him as he rights himself.

The young, quick-eyed Lucky remains at the far end of the circle. You feel a slight shift in the air and notices the pebbles and dust around him beginning to twitch and shift. Clearly the boy has some touch of magic about him, but untrained and unskilled, his powers are slow to charge and difficult to master. His eyes glow blue for a second, but he continues to gather arcane energy for now. A spark does run up from Orris's feet and strike Alonsius, but it seems like its more an unintended side-effect of his power gathering than an attack in its own right.

Initiative Barrow/Orris/Lucky: 1d20+5 16 1d20+5 24 1d20+9 20
For ease of initiative, we'll trade Alonsius down a space, and Astraea up a space
Orris Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+8 27 POW! 10 damage and Alonsius is confused (easy save 6+ saves)
Lucky power quirk: 1d6 5 Alonsius takes another 3 damage!

Orris will intercept to defend Lucky if he can - if you move in then roll his intercept check.
If, for some reason, you decide to fight to kill - knock half of their max HP off and lower all defences by 4.
Use quick actions to influence the crowd - your roll determines how effectively you achieve what you set out to do, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll respond the way you want!

Initiative
Fat Orris Green 32/32 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
Lucky Blue 40/40 AC 16 PD 16 MD 17
Alonsius 23/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 CONFUSED!
Sebastian 36/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13

Barrow Red 48/48 AC 20 PD 15 MD 15
+0 Escalation Die

Opinion Poll
Farmhands - High
Boss Farmers - Very Low
Town Families - Low
The Law - Medium
The non-humans - Low
Mayor Oscad - Medium

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius is spent spinning, and he accidentally clocks Sebastian on the knee.
"Whoof! Lucky shot! come on, have at you!"
Alonsius tries to clear the stars out of his eyes, but still hasn't quite gotten it clear.

Attack Sebastian! MBA vis Seb: 1d20+6 20 hit! 2d8+3 13 damage!
um... can't think of anything to salvage this with a quick action

Confused save: 1d20 4 fails!

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Stats		At-Will		Recharge		Daily
HP 23/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[x]Inevitable Fall (16+)
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[x]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 6/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+3

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

"Al, you're attacking the wrong drunk! Haha!" Astraea bows over laughing but continues the motion by rolling forward under the reach of Fat Orris and follows it up with a sucker punch to his gut. The strike sends ripples through the fat of the large man. "Oh no, this guy sheems to be wearing some... some sort of natural armour!" She snickers. "Sorry, I'm feeling a bit silly."

"Hey, Orris wash it?" Astraea's eyes suddenly flash alight with bright starlight and the air around her begins to shimmer, she can feel her head stop spinning and her senses sharpen. "Think you're quick enough to hit the fastest thing to have ever travelled through the skies of Ostraberg?"

Shadow Walk: 1d20+5 11 vs 17 MD, miss! You know, this talent isn't very flavourful when it never works.

Tumbling Strike vs Fat Orris: 1d20+6 25 vs AC, hit! 2d8+4+1d6 10 damage.
Gaining momentum
Tumbling Disengage: 1d20+5 Natural one.

Halo: +2 to all defences until hit.
It's not fair if only Al gets to see the stars! (Astral Cat Burglar + Cha): 1d20+5+3+2 17 Showing some of my supernatural flair to the crowd.

Roll With It if I get hit by a melee attack targeting AC.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

Stats		Per Battle		Powers (Momentum)
HP 32/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16 (+2)  	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16 (+2)				Evasive Strike
MD 13 (+2)				Flying Blade
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Initiative +6				Sure Cut (M)
Momentum: Yes				Tumbling Strike

Daggers +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian grabs one last mug of ale to bring out to the fight with him, which he is sipping as Alonsius whacks him onto the knee. "Al, did you get drunk while I wasn't looking? Or did they pay you to switch sides? You sly devil!" Sebastian sizes up Barrow. "Four vs two, eh? I'll have to get serious. Someone hold my beer!"

Sebastian nonchalantly tosses his beer up into the air towards no one in particular--the crowd gasps as no one moves to catch it. Sebastian tosses his scimitar back and forth between his hands and does a complicated seriously of whirling movements, then launches an impressive flurry of attacks at Barrow before whirling around and catching the mug just before it hits the ground. The crowd oohs and aahs appreciatively...until they see that Sebastian hasn't left a single mark on Barrow.

Moving to engage Barrow.
Hold My Beer+Dex+Lvl: 1d20+3+4+2 29 For the beer toss. Hell yeah.
MBA on Barrow: 1d20+6 7 2d8+4 6 Jesus christ. All ones. Good luck interpreting this one, indigo.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)		Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 23/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)			[X]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)		[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12						[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 2/8 (2d8+2)			
Initiative +6				Cantrips
					Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
MBA: Scimitar +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

As Alonsius swings for his brother, the crowd break out into laughter. Granted, it is AT you rather than with you, but they're still laughing! The farmers nod approvingly at his manner of speech, but some of the kids wrinkle their noses at his choice of words.

"What?" One of them moans. "What he say?"

Orris folds at the waist as Astraea punches him in the gut. His eyes go wide with surprise and pain, but his face is quickly touched with a smile.
A couple of women cheer at her jibe at him. Her use of magical effect splits the crowd, gaining interest from the two elves watching, but also a nervous scowl from Richard Homes.
"You like to play fisty cuffs, aye girl? Well that's okay, let's play fistycuffs!"
He leans back and makes a wild fisted swing for you, connecting hard on your arm. The chalky powder crackles with the impact and sends bolts of lightning rippling through your body.

Sebastian's attack gains applause, but it is short lived. One of the watching farmhands mutters something and his companions laugh.
Barrow begins spinning his rope around his body, then lashes out with it in a series of blows but Sebastian is able to deflect them all with ease.

"You're quick, friend..." Barrow grunts as he weaves the whip around one fist. "Let's see how quick you are. Now, Lucky!"

The young hedge wizard stops whispering to himself and raises both arms. Two bolts of lightning rise up from the ground at the feet of Sebastian and Astraea. Those that dance over Sebastian are weak and he is able to shake them off without harm, but those that touch Astraea are crippling. She is left concious, but spasming and juddering as they rip through her flesh.

Fat Orris Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+8 26 10 damage 5 damage and 3 ongoing thunder damage!
Barrow Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+9 12 Miss!
Lucky # of targets: 1d3 2
Lucky Vs Astraea MD: 1d20+8 21 Hit! Double Damage - 16 damage!
Lucky Vs Sebastian MD: 1d20+8 9 Miss!

Orris will intercept to defend Lucky if he can - if you move in then roll his intercept check.
If, for some reason, you decide to fight to kill - knock half of their max HP off and lower all defences by 4.
Use quick actions to influence the crowd - your roll determines how effectively you achieve what you set out to do, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll respond the way you want!

Initiative
Fat Orris Green 22/32 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
Alonsius 23/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 CONFUSED!
Sebastian 23/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
Astraea 8/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 3ongoingthunder STAG
+1 Escalation Die

Opinion Poll
Farmhands - High
Boss Farmers - Very Low
Town Families - Very Low (D)
The Law - Low (D)
The non-humans - Medium (U)
Mayor Oscad - Medium

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius finds himself crawling to his feet next to the Mayor Oscad. "Pardon me." He mumbles, but he steps forward to try to continue helping.
Regretfully, he's still dizzy from the previous blow, aiming for Barrow, but instead giving Sebastian another welt across the back.

Still he manages to clear his eyes, take a stance, and draws shadows to him. The swirling darkness makes him appear taller, despite the rough opening of the fight.
"You got a good hit in, can't deny it. But lets start to turn this thing around."

[i]Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+7 20 2d8+3 13 nother hit
Cha + Secrets?: 1d20+8 25 to show my confidence
Confused save: 1d20 6 barely makes it!

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Whoa there Al, I'm beginning to realize you really can't hold your liquor! Speaking of which, will someone please hold my beer? No?" Sebastian sighs dramatically. "Well, fine, I'll do it myself." He mutters something under his breath and releases the mug from his hands. To everyone's surprise, the mug doesn't fall but instead hovers in the air. "I call it: Tenser's Floating Coaster!" Sebastian shouts triumphantly.

Unfortunately, Sebastian's attack goes less well. All of his strikes are blocked by Barrow's whip before they can make contact.

Disengage: 1d20 2 :rip:
MBA on Barrow vs AC: 1d20+6+1 13 2d8+4 14 :rip:
Alonsius can get a move action if you want it. It might be more important to stop Lucky from doing spells than for you to gain focus, but I'm not really sure.
I'll Hold My Own Beer (TITACOT+Cha+Lvl): 1d20+3+3+2 28 Great, thanks orokos!

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 10/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 2/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 10, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Yeowch!" Astraea's head was back to spinning again and she can taste that familiar metal flavour in her mouth, she must've bit her tounge when the lightning surged through her body. She spits and wipes a trail of blood from the corner of her mouth. "Your fist makes a good point, I guess lightning is the fastest thing in the skies of Ostraberg."

"You're not going to knock me out with such a weak throw though." She steadies herself. "Come on now, no holding back. Show me some of that raw strength that comes from a lifetime of farming!"

Rally: 2d8+2 6 HP recovered. Uh, wow.

Disengage: 1d20 Natural one. I did not roll a one, I did not.

Complimentary Taunt (Cha + Charitable Celestial): 1d20+3+4+2 Natural one. Oh hi, Orokos.

Save vs Ongoing: 1d20 4, nope. You're tearing me apart, Orokos!

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 14/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16	  	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 3/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Momentum: No				Tumbling Strike

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"I've got it under control now." Alonsius snaps back, but still, he really needs to help out. Thankfully, Astraea's theatrics has all of Fat Orris' attention, so Alonsius moves up to take the fight to Lucky.
"Alright, let me see what kind of magic you're capable of up close!"

Use the move to engage with Lucky
Guess he has skilled intercept? Fatty's intercept roll: 1d20 9 fails!

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
MD 16		

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alonsius manages to alienate himself slightly from the crowd, by once again attacking his own brother. This is quickly remedied by Sebastian's display, however. Farmers cheer, the boss farmers laugh, even the children and families giggle at his floating beer coaster. Bolsted by Astrea's confidence, the crowd are getting engaged but her trash talk is a little flashy for some.

Barrow swings his whip around, knocking away all incoming attacks, then takes to one leg.

"Watch yourselves, boys!" he cries out, then swings the rope wildly and wide. Lucky and Orris both jump into the air, but the ground is suddenly a sea of whip cracks at calf height! Alonsius and Sebastian are both struck and rendered weakened in different ways.

Orris pounds his fist into his palm once more, brining another burst of static electricity.

"Let's dance."

He swings hard, but this time Astraea is able to knock the blow aside.

Lucky is apparently unhappy with Alonsius in his face. He lifts his hands in a pacifying nature but begins summoning blue energy again. He gathers power for only a second, then thinks better of it and lashes out with his untrained and unfocused magic immediately. He opens his mouth and breaths a bolt of lightning around the occultist. It hurts, but not much. However, the lightning coiling around Alonsius' body lingers, ready to strike out again soon.

Barrow Targets: 1d3 2
Barrows Vs Alonsius, Seb PD: 1d20+9 25 1d20+9 16 Both hit! 4 damage! Alonsius is hampered (easy save ends), Sebastian is Stuck (easy save ends).
Fat Orris Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+8 14 Miss!
Minor or Major spell: 1d20 16 Major!
Lucky Vs Alonsius PD: 1d20+8 17 Hit! 6 thunder damage!

Initiative
Fat Orris Green 22/32 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
Alonsius 13/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 STAG HAMPERED
Sebastian 6/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12 STAG STUCK
Astraea 14/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 3ongoingthunder STAG
+2 Escalation Die

Opinion Poll
Farmhands - Very High
Boss Farmers - Medium
Town Families - Low
The Law - Low
The non-humans - Medium
Mayor Oscad - High

I'm being as lucky as you guys are unlucky! Sorry for all the status infections!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

The whip lashes leave Alonsius in far too much pain to focus on his magic. He tries to give Lucky a good thrashing, but manages only to shock Alonsius' own arm off the cobble floor.
"Oof, a bit unrefined, but you've got some practice in with that. Brendal clearly still has surprises for us."

Hampered :argh:
Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+8 11 2d8+3 17 miss! 2 damage
Staying put.
Wis + Secrets: 1d20+10 16 being a good sport about being zapped.
Hampered save: 1d20 15 saved!

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 13/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 11, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian holds a finger up to Barrow and Orris, signalling them to wait. "It's becoming increasingly clear that I'm going to have to finish this first." With that, Sebastian takes the mug of beer he's been carrying and downs the rest of it in one long gulp. He carefully sets the empty mug down and wipes the foam from his face before telling everyone, "Much obliged. Carry on then!"

Chug chug chug: LOTP+Con+Lvl: 1d20+4+2+2 19
Rallying: Recovery (please orokos don't fail me now): 2d8+2 9
Save vs stuck: 1d20 16

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 15/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 1/8 (2d8+2)			

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 11, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Dance? Finally someone worked up the courage to ask!" Astraea smiles and graciously weaves around his heavy punches, she gets in close and steps down hard on his bare foot with her heel. "Oh dear me, I'm so sorry." She tries to reach for his pocket where he put away the envelope of punching powder but as he jerks his leg up in pain she can't quite reach it. Instead she continues moving past him and pulls out a dagger, one quick flick of the wrist and the coarse rope holding his ripped trousers up snaps.

She resheathes her dagger and rolls away from fat Orris, as he steps to catch up to her his pants drop to his ankles. "Orris please, there are children watching, show some decency!" She giggles as he quickly tries to get a hold of his trousers.

Thief's Strike vs Fat Orris: 1d20+6+2 27 vs PD, hit! (2d8+4)/2 8 Damage.
Gaining Momentum.
Thievery!: 1d20 8, Failure.

Spending momentum to Swashbuckle! Orris is stunned for a turn!

Disengaging from Orris, taking a couple of steps back.

Let's Dance! (Astral Cat Burglar + Dex): 1d20+5+4+2 14 Oh well, at least I had one great roll this turn.

Astraea takes 3 ongoing damage.
Save vs Ongoing: 1d20 11, Success! Make that two!

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 11/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16  		[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 3/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Momentum: No				Tumbling Strike

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The boss farmers nod sagely at Alonsius taking his hits with pride. The farmers and families cheer as Sebastian finally chugs the beer he has been protecting since the brawl began.

Barrow gives a thin smile as both Alonsius and Sebastian quickly recover from his previous assault.

"Okay, Lords and Lady, play time is over. You've shown all these folks that you can go toe-to-toe with us farmers, now it's time to go down and sleep!"

With a flick of his wrist, Barrow catches the end of his whip and begins spinning it into a tightly-wound coil, exponentially increasing its strength. Then, with one focussed blow he brings it down for Sebastian but, somehow, the bard has found his feet. The whip strikes the wooden beer mug and shatters it to splinters, but Sebastian is long-gone and ready to respond!

Orris turns beet red, but he laughs along with the crowd as he frantically tries to refasten his pantaloons. However, his sausage fingers combined with sweaty palms leave him stammering and struggling to fix the issue.

"I'll get you for that, missy!" he shouts. "If you want to get a fella outta his trousers, you should take him for dinner first!"

Lucky is not laughing. Although his attacks have gone well, he is clearly uncomfortable with close combat. The static around Alonsius crackles, then lashes out and hits both Astraea and Sebastian. The bolt is weak by the time it lands, but it's enough to make their hair prickle and their teeth lock. He cowers back from Alonsius slightly, opens his palms and fires a smaller bolt. The bolt hits and shocks, but is quickly dissperpates into the ground. This spell will not be jumping.

Barrow Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+9 12 Miss!
Fat Orris Stunned?: 1d20 8 Failure!
Additional targets: 1d2 2 Astraea and Sebastian take 4 damage from Lucky's previous attack.
Major or Minor?: 1d20 7 Lucky casts a minor spell!
Lucky Vs Alonsius Pd: 1d20+8 17 Hit! 3 damage!

Initiative
Fat Orris Green 14/32 AC (15) PD (13) MD (9) STAG STUNNED
Lucky Blue 38/40 AC 16 PD 16 MD 17
Alonsius 10/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 STAG
Sebastian 11/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12 STAG
Astraea 7/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 3ongoingthunder STAG
+3 Escalation Die

Opinion Poll
Farmhands - Very High
Boss Farmers - High
Town Families - Medium
The Law - Low
The non-humans - Low
Mayor Oscad - Medium

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 11, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"My mug! You fiend! I'm going to have to find a new drinking buddy!" Sebastian dodges a whip crack and finds himself standing near Orris. Sebastian takes the time to give him a hard smack on the back with his scimitar. "What do you say, Orris? Looking for a new drinking buddy?" Sebastian then grins as an oddly familiar voice is heard from the area the non-humans are standing in. "Oh wow, these new guys are so cool! Especially Sebastian! He's my favorite! Woooooooo!" It would take a very keen eye to notice Sebastian's lips moving ever-so-slightly in time to the words.

Disengage: 1d20 17 and engage Orris.
MBA on Orris vs AC: 1d20+6+3 20 2d8+4 12 damage. 11+ roll triggers Pull it Together!, Astraea can roll a recovery.
Recovery: 2d8+2 7 health.
Ghost sound/ventriloquism: TITACOT+Cha+Lvl: 1d20+3+3+2 26

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 11/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 1/8 (2d8+2)			

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius smirked as his siblings began to get the upper hand.
"I knew we could turn this around. Excuse me a moment..."
The Occultist tries to gain some space, but regretfully Lucky was a bit too savvy to let him get some space. Still Alonsius manages to focus. Though he does try to limit the darkness to something a bit less... creepy.

Disengage check: 1d20 6 fails
Gain Focus, drawing an OA
Cha + Void Secrets: 1d20+8 19 for a lighter, friendlier magic wot man was not meant to know.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 13/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Dinner? You are right of course, what is the point of living without delicious food? Let me make up for it with a knuckle sandwich!" Astraea throws a right hook at Orris. Being distracted both by his malfunctioning trousers and Sebastian his guard is as down as it'll get and her fist connects right on his chin with a satisfying pop. He hits the ground with a thud.

Astraea looks down at her opponent and shakes off her hand after the painful blow. "Uh, Whoops. I hope he's alright." She takes the opportunity to make a flourish at the audience. "Give the man a round of applause, he came within inches of defeating a Guardian of Ostraberg. What a fighter!"

She then runs up to Lucky. "Hey sparky, it seems like I need a new dance partner. I've noticed that you've kept to the back the whole time, there's no need to be shy!"

Tumbling Strike vs. Fat Orris: 1d20+6+3 29 vs AC, Critical Hit! 2d8+4+1d6 13 26 Damage. Say good night!
Gain momentum.

Gracious in Victory (Cha + Charitable Celestial): 1d20+3+4+2 20

Move to engage Lucky.

Roll With It won't work against Lucky's magic but if Barrow attacks me cut the damage in half (Unless I've been hit and lost my momentum already.)

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 14/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16  		[X] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 2/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The very small band of elves and dwarves standing around the circle are surprised to hear their allies cheering Sebastian on. Normally the group would be far too small for the trick to work, but Sebastian frames it perfectly in the heat and excitement of the battle. They forget they know the voice of every ally in town and let themselves get caught up in it.

"Aye! Show those boys what you got!" a dwarf bellows out, stomping his feet against the cobbles.

Alonsius gathers magical power in a way that at least partially avoids the trappings of dark magic. Orbs of light form around him, only partially marred with black. As his powers grow, the orbs circle and dance around him.

As Orris hits the ground there is a roar of support, but some of the farmhands don't seem keen on the way Astraea refers to herself as a guardian of Ostraberg. Regardless, the mood of the circle seems to be improving with each attack the Ostrabergs deliver.

"A guardian, are you?" Barrow chuckles, turning on the spot to face her as she runs for Lucky. "You can throw a punch young lady. I don't think I want to be on the receiving end."

His whip comes down hard and cracks so loud it draws a moan of sympathy from the audience. When they see Astraea weather the blow, another cheer goes up. Barrow's smile faulters and his face wrinkles with concern. He lashes out again, this time even harder, but the end of his whip becomes caught on a nearby street-torch and then limps uselessly to the ground.

"For God's sake girl! Go down! You're bleeding!"

"I'll do it..." Lucky mumbles miserably.

He turns his back on Alonsius, then puts a hand on top of Astraea's head. There is a flash, a burst of smoke, and then the lights go out!

"She'll be fine!" he quickly explains. "I just gave her a little shock. There won't be any lasting damage or anything."

Astraea coughs, then slowly climbs back to her feet. She is not done yet!

Orokos isn't working for me.
Lucky Vs Alonsius AC 1d20+8=24 Hit! 6 damage!
Barrow Vs Astraea AC 1d20+9=25 Hit! Roll With It cuts damage to 4! Triggers Bleeding Strike.
And now invisible castle is playing up! Working on the honour system for the rest of this round!
Bleeding strike Vs Astraea AC = 11! Miss!
Lucky Disengage = failure!
Lucky Minor or Major Spell = Minor!
Lucky Vs Astraea PD = Hit! 6 damage!

Initiative
Lucky Blue 38/40 AC 16 PD 16 MD 17
Alonsius 4/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 STAG
Astraea 4/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 STAG
+4 Escalation Die

Opinion Poll
Farmhands - High
Boss Farmers - High
Town Families - High
The Law - Low
The non-humans - Medium
Mayor Oscad - Medium

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 11, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"It's true, I'm fine! I hardly *cough* felt it." In a daze she stumbles on her feet. "Feeling a bit light headed for some reason though."

Astraea takes advantage of the concerned stares and takes time to shake her head and steady herself. "Such gentlemen!" She grins and abruptly cartwheels backwards leaving Lucky a parting kick to the noggin. She lands on the other end of the ring with both feet together and bows deeply with her arms stretched to the sides, a few drops of blood hits the ground underneath her which are quickly soaked up by the dirt.

"What, you think that I'm some pampered lady that can't throw down with you lot? That is downright insulting! I'm sure my brothers would like to have a word with you while I take a moment to catch my breath."

Out of harms way she looks at herself and finds a welt on her right arm that stings terribly when she touches it and a thin cut on her cheek that's slowly dripping blood. Her muscles were hurting bad from the constant lightning attacks she had taken, she wasn't quite sure how she had managed to leap out of that sticky situation so well. Hope her brothers could hang on for a bit while she got herself ready to rejoin the fray.

Tumbling Strike vs. Lucky: 1d20+6+4 24 vs AC, hit! 2d8+4+1d6 14 Damage.
Gain momentum.
Tumbling Disengage: 1d20+5-1 21, Success. Retreat towards the top right.

Nimble Retreat (Astral Cat Burglar + Dex): 1d20+5+4+2 28

Pretty sure I'm down from any attack even with Roll With It but you know the deal.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 4/32		[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

There we go, Alonsius smirks to himself. Shadow magic without the creeping darkness. And just in time.
As Barrow lifts his whip to strike, he finds himself assaulted by a barrage of the glowing orbs. The sparkling lights are dizzying, but despite it all he manages to get his hits in.

"I don't know what you were expecting, the Ostrabergs never quit a fight!"
Regretfully Lucky was turning out to be a talented melee combatant. Better than Alonsius, anyway, though the Occultist had to admit he was getting quite winded from this.

Odd attack triggers Timely Mistake! Timely Mistake vs MD: 1d20+10 25 hits 1d6+3 6 damage
He has to reroll the attack, Forced re-roll: 1d20 14 still hits...

My actual turn. Disengage check: 1d20 6 fails...
Bloody... Melee basic vs AC: 1d20+11 12 2d8+3 17 nat 1!
Int + Void Secrets: 1d20+11 15 to add a little panache to my spells

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 4/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[x]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Barrow focuses on Astraea, leaving Sebastian free to dance around the outskirts of the crowd, displaying some fancy footwork, and take a swing at Lucky. Unfortunately, his namesake proves true and Sebastian whiffs completely.

Disengage: 1d20 13 Disengage from Barrow and engage Lucky AND Barrow.
Fancy footwork: LOTP+Dex+Lvl: 1d20+4+4+2 21
MBA on Lucky vs AC: 1d20+6+4 11 2d8+4 8 Swing and a miss.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 11/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 1/8 (2d8+2)			

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The battle is dragging long and attacks are missing on both sides as the combatants get weary. You try to remember to curb your spells and attacks - this is not a fight you want to end in anger. Sweat drips in your eyes and the flashing of pain leaves your disorientated. The crowd becomes a distant sound, likes waves crashing on a beach.

Barrow's whip comes flying through the blur towards Sebastian, who manages to slip beneath the end as it goes sailing over his head. Barrow says something, but his voice is lost in the cheers and the sound of your heartbeat in your ears.

"Protect me!" Lucky cries out over the sound. He closes his eyes and blue lights begin dancing around him. A spark shoots out and strikes Alonsius in the chest. He clings desperately to conciousness, but he is teetering on the very edge.

Barrow Vs Sebastian AC: 1d20+9 15 Miss!
Lucky gathers power. As he is staggered, it prompts OAs.
Gather Power Benefit: 1d6 4 Alonsius takes 3 damage!

Initiative
Lucky Blue 18/40 AC 16 PD 16 MD 17 STAG
Alonsius 1/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16 STAG
Astraea 4/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13 STAG
+5 Escalation Die

Opinion Poll
Farmhands - High
Boss Farmers - High
Town Families - Very High
The Law - Medium
The non-humans - Medium
Mayor Oscad - High
[/quote]

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius notes a gap in Lucky's defenses and tries to attack, but finds himself rebuffed.
Still, he's getting too exhausted for wards. Stepping back from the exhausted Lucky, he shakes his head and takes a deep breath.
"Like I said, an Ostraberg never quits! To the very last!"
A bit overdramatic, but Alonsius seems a little refreshed now.

Opportunity attack: 1d20+11 14 miss! 2d8+3 7 2 damage

My turn, Disengage check: 1d20 17 moving bottom rightish
Rally! Recovery: 2d6+3 12 hp restored

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 13/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[x]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
MD 16		

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

As Lucky fires off his last few lightning bolts, Sebastian leaps in front of Alonsius and makes a big show of deflecting the lightning harmlessly into the ground with the shiny parts of his scimitar. Poor Lucky is completely unprepared for this, and his untrained magic usage leaves him wide open to attack.Sebastian gives him two swift whacks to the noggin, sending the young magician to the ground.

I'm a jedi now: HMB+Dex+Lvl: 1d20+3+4+2 24
OA on Lucky vs AC: 1d20+6+5 26 2d8+4 13
MBA on Lucky vs AC: 1d20+6+5 20 2d8+4 10
Two hits! Thank you blessed Orokos! Lucky should be down now. Didn't trigger any flexible attacks.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 11/36	[/]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 1/8 (2d8+2)			

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

After becoming aware of the state of her body Astraea tries to fade into the shadows to get some respite. She closes her eyes and concentrates but can't seem to focus, nothing happens. Annoyed by the lack of results she picks up a small rock and throws it at Barrow but it barely grazes his shoulder.

Shadow Walk: 1d20+5+5 13 vs 15 MD, nope. Is anyone keeping score?
Rally Save: 1d20 5, nope.
Flying Blade* vs Barrow: 1d20+6+5 16 vs AC, nope. 2 miss damage. *You're only supposed to use this with a small bladed weapon but since it only dealt miss damage it doesn't matter mechanically. Otherwise I'd have suggested you'd treat it as a basic ranged attack if it felt unfair.

Couldn't think of a way to influence the onlookers at this point.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 4/32		[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The crowd ooh and aah in approval at Sebastian's lightning-quick reflexes and swordsmanship, then give a round of supportive applause for the poor Lucky as he crumples to the ground. He wakes up before he has even hit the floor, but lands with his hand already tapping out. Rubbing his head, he rolls away into the crowd and stands back up.

"I give! I give! Ouch!" he calls.

Barrow flexes the whip a few times, making it crack against the ground, then throws away the handle at charges for Sebastian. He ducks beneath his sword, grabs him around the neck, then wrestles him into a tight embrace, throwing his free hand around Alonsius's shoulder.

"drat good fighters!" he roars. "drat good! And you missy, you're certainly as dangerous as any man I've ever met! Come! More drinking! More ale! Let's drink just enough so that we don't forget."

He turns to the crowd, dragging you around.

"If anyone has a problem with The Ostrabergs, they've got a problem with me!"

Final Opinion Poll
Farmhands - Very High
Boss Farmers - High
Town Families - Very High
The Law - Medium
The non-humans - Medium
Mayor Oscad - High

Ending combat there, Barrow only has one attack and you're all down to At-Wills. Doesn't make for a fun fight and you've done really well!

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"That was a blast!" Astraea gingerly rubs her arm and stretches her muscles. "I really don't think I'll forget this in the morning though, no matter how much ale and cider you've got left." She could only imagine how much it'd hurt without alcohol blunting the pain. "Come on, let's hear a cheer for the tough people of Brendal, hardier folk won't be easy to find!"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The rest of the night is spent celebrating and quickly becomes a blur to anyone who keeps drinking. For the others it is a night of revelry and celebration. The townsfolk transform this ordinary evening into a special occasion of sorts. Makeshift banners are hastily thrown up and a hodge-podge band grows up and despite their status, play pretty well. There is a dance that seems to revolve primarily on slapping your thighs, then spinning around.

You wake up the next morning at the inn (or perhaps somewhere else) and walk down to breakfast. The nervous woman from behind the bar is still working and is as fresh-faced as ever, though you vaguely remember her joining the party last night.

"Good morning Lords and Lady," she says, pouring a pitcher of fruit juice into glasses, then placing a steaming pot of black coffee on your table. "Can I just explain, I mean, can I just say what an honour it is to have you here? If you want anything to eat then let me know and I'll make sure that it... I'll get it for you." She turns to leave, then clicks her fingers and returns to the table. "Sorry, I almost forgot, Mr. Cleath is here to see you. I didn't think you'd want to be disturbed, so I've told him to wait in the lobby. He's happy enough out there, he's always happy!"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius doesn't really join in the drinking, perhaps still concerned his siblings will get them involved in another silly contest. Still, he joins the dance and does his best to have a good time. Besides, it wouldn't do to brood all the time.

In the morning Alonsius gives the hostess a polite greeting and quickly finishes the coffee before ordering.
"Bread and sausage, please, and don't put yourself out too much getting it. I am certain your fare is wonderful, and in any case we plan to be off before too much longer."
Alonsius notes the name.
"Hm, well, it would not do to keep him waiting. Ask him inside, we shall treat him to breakfast if he hasn't eaten."

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 14, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"That sounds good, I'll have what Al is having. Oh, and throw in some boiled eggs, some porridge, and do you have any fruits? Oh, oh, and cheese of course and some sort of jam, any kind really. I'm feeling a bit hungry after yesterday's festivities, there was so much fun to be had I hardly had time to sit down. We've gotta do that again some time!" Astraea was feeling energetic like usual and was probably way too loud for anyone trying to cure a hangover in the vicinity, herself she displayed no signs of being affected by one.

"Mr. Cleath? I don't think I've heard that name before. Show him in!"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The barkeep nods politely, then steps through into the adjoining room and speaks to someone. She shows in a pale man who could be anywhere between 40 and 60 years old. He wears a crumpled blue suit with a frilled collar and his every moment is erratic and frantic, busting with kinetic excitement. He walks straight for you and beams.

"Lord Alonsius, Lord Sebastian and Lady Astraea! What a pleasure it is to meet you all! My name is Doctor Obidiah Cleath! I run the Brendal Town Museum, you may have heard of it? Oh wait, no of course not, you've only just returned here, haven't you?" He laughs wildly. "May I just say, it is an absolute honour to be graced with the presence of living history! I only wanted the chance to introduce myself and tell you that if you require any assistance whatsoever, please do not hesitate to contact me at the museum. From what I gather, you intend to reside in Ostraberg for a little while at least, and I have no doubt you will eventually fall in love with the counties rich and varied past. Well, I have disturbed your breakfast long enough, I will depart and leave you to your coffee. Unless there is anything you would like to discuss right now?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Aha! Obidiah Cleath, I think the mayor mentioned you but I only caught your first name. You shouldn't feel like your intruding, have a seat and tell us about your museum, doctor! Sounds like it's about Ostraberg then?" She sips some juice and comes to think of something. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about father's, uh, I mean Lord Alexander Ostraberg's past?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Right! The museum!"
Alonsius sits up and smiles.
"I've studied some things of history. Bit of a hobby of mine. I would be more than happy to see what you have."

Astraea's mention of their father brings Alonsius down a bit.
"Ah, right. But if not, don't fret. I would be happy to see what the museum has to offer. Although... Astraea, Sebastian, you don't need to suffer such things on my part. At least, if what I remember of our tutoring sessions is any sign."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian lets out a long, low moan at the table, where he sits slumped over, face on the table, arms attempting to block any light from reaching his sensitive eyes. "Can I get a...what was it...an egg white with a dash of rum and pepper? Please, thank you."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"As long as nobody forces me to sit down in some creaky old chair to read some dusty old tome on a beautiful sunny day I should be fine..." Astraea scratches the back of her head and shrugs. "Probably."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"I'll be honest with you all," he says, leaning in close and lowering his voice. "The museum probably won't be very impressive to the likes of you. I mean, I love my museum, but it's very much targetted towards less educated and less travelled scholars than yourselves. There are some interesting pieces on display and there are some rare pieces of local history, but I imagine it would appear rather... pedestrian to travellers like yourselves. That said, you are welcome to come by and take a look whenever you wish. I will give you the grand tour!" He leans back in his seat. "Lord Alexander Ostraberg, eh?" he says, rubbing his chin.

"Well the records are all a bit hazy, as is so often the case around here. Did you know that it was only this generation that the average man or woman from Brendal learned to read and write. The school house was only constructed 37 years ago. Before that, there had to be someone literate in your family, and they had to be willing to teach you. The records and written histories of the county don't really come alive until about 25 years ago. But yes, sorry, back on track!"

Obidiah's eyes glaze over, as if he is reading from his own memory.

"Alexander Ostraberg, the forth in his line to take the name, was the son of Alexander Ostraberg III and an unknown woman. He was born somewhere between 96 and 101 years ago in Ostraberg manor, Ostraberg. As you are well aware, Alexander never married nor fathered any biological heirs, but at some point around 25 to 30 years ago, he began a series of adoptions - some official and others unofficial, gathering a rather respectable brood of men and women. Alexander's Lordship of Ostraberg was marked with very different opinions. Some residents loved him for his hands-off style of governing, leaving the law to the individual towns and villages on his land. Others viewed him as a distant and removed noble figure, growing fat off the land without contributing anything. He was, ultimately, a figure of mystery like his father, and his father's father before him. Whilst there was never any real evidence collected, there were rumours that Alexander practised black magic and necromancery. Other rumours stated that villagers who travelled up to the manor never returned. The exact details of his supposed affinity for the dark arts are so varied that it does strongly detract from their validity. He was known as a lover of fine art. Was there anything else you wanted to know?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius stares at his glass while Obidiah recalls his father's history. When he finishes, he perks up.
"Ah, thank you. That was very helpful. But you mentioned some rare pieces of local history? I doubt I would find them very pedestrian at all, so I believe I shall pay your museum a visit. But I believe we should be off before... midday, perhaps? It will likely be a few hours ride to the next town."

Alonsius sits up and thinks of something.
"Although... Sebastian, let me see that crown for a moment." He shows Obidiah the elven diplomat's crown they found in the mausoleum.
"What do you make of this? I'm fairly certain its 8th Age, but further than that I really can't say."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea leans back and balances on the rear legs of her chair as Obidiah tells the familiar tale. She looks a bit disappointed as he finishes. "Nothing new there..." She leans forward and brings the chair down softly. "Sorry, it's not your fault. I shouldn't have expected anything new, it's just that we're trying to learn more about our father's past and it's so hard to get any details. Do you know anything about his father, Alexander III?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Alexanders one through three were extremely private gentlemen," Obidiah sighs. "There are some paintings supposedly, but I've never managed to track any down. Your father, despite his reclusive nature, was by far the most sighted member of the family. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather spent most of their time abroad I believe. I will endeavour to learn as much as I can about them if you so desire? Perhaps I could journey up to your manor one evening and regale you with tales of what I have learned?"

The man gets excited as soon as you draw out the crown. He licks his lips and then whistles appreciatively, turning it around in his hands and feelings it weight.

"Yes...yes... an excellent piece! Yes, a marvellous piece of work, for certain!" He runs his fingers along the hieroglyphs and mutters under his breath. "Hmmm yes, yes, so this crown is a headpiece of ambassadors. Whoever wears it is able to understand a foreign language and be understood by those speaking it. It's basic transformation air magic, or claims to be. The other culture is... hmmm... the hieroglyphics talk about a race that live within the earth and... hmm... the literal translation is "above the ground but beneath the sky". I'm not sure, but I THINK it's talking about the canopy of forests. Treetops in other words. You know... there is somebody who would know this. Another historian. It might be a little... well.. Okay I will just spit it out. There is a historian I respect very much, it was in fact him that I came to talk to you about this morning but I lose my nerve... his name is Petero and he.. well he is a sentient axe. Strange, I know, though I'm sure you have seen stranger. He is very very strange and very very old, but he remembers everything that has occurred in Brendal for centuries. The problem is... he was taken by bugbears a few months ago."

He shrugs almost apologetically.

• Locked thread