Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

After a period of completely illiterate shouting along with the citizens of Pawford, Stragen eventually remembers his words. "And NOW, with your finest Ulovan STEEL, we're going to we're going to STRIKE BACK! We're going to use this BLACK CHASM that the goblins CUT INTO THE EARTH to track them back to their RAIDING...LAIR? DEN. CAMP! And when we find them, we'll put an END to their CHICANERY with a double dose of JUSTICE! For ULOVA AND GOOD KING THUON! HIRE US, GOOD CITIZENS! Even if it's just for a FINE DRINK, whereas my PREVIOUS DRINK was FELLED by dreaded GOBLIN MOLE LABOUR!" He hauls up the rest of his party from their assorted lounging and/or recuperating places to serve as helpful props for looking appropriately dangerous and capable.

Stragen requests the Good People of Pawford contract his new crew to push back the goblins, rolling a 14. Maybe other Unforgettable Adventurers could try, or use Aid Another to add a bonus, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cary

Cary blinks, a little confused, then grins and starts yelling.
"Yes! We are the mighty scourge of the goblin people! We shall slaughter indiscriminately and overwhelmingly, strike their hovels from the map, and ensure prosperity for the gentle citizenry and proper terror unending for all villains and vermin, that they may never again even think to attack! All threats shall be wiped clean, in blade and arrow and fire, and all shall know, from the lowliest kobold to the most vicious gnolls, that Pawford is never, I repeat never, to be encroached upon again! This threat shall be ELMINATED!!! Aahhahahahahahahahhhh!!"

She really does have a breathtaking number of sharp teeth.

Intimidate 19.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
AC: 15 | FF: 12 | Touch: 13 | For: +5 | Ref: +5 | Will: +2
HP: 12/19 Resists: Fire 4 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni gives Stragen a LOOK then sighs. Then, once Stragen lets go he follows Cary's suit. Though he doesn't exactly have many, unsettling, teeth. Instead he has flames that dance along his blacked and burned body. He creates an astonishing, and frightening, display of fire to show just how dangerous and capable he is. Because this will somehow fill the citizens with confidence.

Intimidate 1d20+9 25
Slightly better intimidate modifier than Cary, despite her teeth, but a really nice roll.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The townsfolk are mightily impressed (and also momentarily fearful of Cary and Agni), and the Mayor and the Sheriff both start drawing up the paperwork for Unforgettable Adventuring Company's charter and initial contract.

Unless you'd like otherwise, I'll say a day passes for you all to rest and recuperate. You can buy items that you need, and Glenda's healing resets back to your new level 2 maximum.

Also, I'd like to ask if you could make posts in the OOC thread with your level 2 and any equipment updates, either as new sheets or just to tell me that you've edited the original one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So, it's the day after, and you've all had a chance to rest, and now I'm assuming you'll want to pursue the goblins further.

The water in the tunnel has receded some, so you can go down through there, or you can strike out from the town and head for the border aboveground. It should be a straight shot across some farmlands to get to the river.

The Mayor also does present you with a contract for dealing with the goblins. Agni reads it out loud for the rest of you and finds that it's actually an old Letter of Marque, just with certain key phrases scratched out and replaced. There are still a few though that refer to you all as "the crew" or "the ship". Ah well, that'll do, and there is a hefty reward promised at the bottom if you manage to "bring back sufficient proof that no more such incursions will happen in the near future".

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen nods along with an intent look on his face as the letter is read, especially when he hears the promise of reward. Adventuring is finally paying off! Take that, cousin Ambrose! I bet you'll never make this much money with your prized spicy fire beetle stew!

"We're on our way, good Mayor! We'll follow their tunnels and find the goblins and their hobgoblin and bobhoblin and mole demon allies wherever they are! We'll drive them so far back into the Hills that they'll be...uh, they'll be lost there! Forever! BETRAYED! By the Hills!"

He leans over to Fleabag, though, and whispers. "Are we even near the ocean? Maybe the Mayor was a pirate."

Bleu fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 3, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
"Dunno. Could be, like, land pirates, mebbe? Not really my shingle, you catch? Might could Scales knows more about it, though it seems she'd be more deeplike than the piratical sorts usually sail."

He looks around just a touch nervously. Normally, this is the point where the boo goes up and everyone drops by, scrabbling what they can. However, it looks like people are actually glad to see them. It seemed weird. Unnatural. Yet... oddly pleasant. Anyway, it beat having his cobbles up before a cackler, ready to have him dance on smoke.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cary

"Hmm? Oh, it's basically a letter of marque. States grant them to crews, who go out and behave as professional pirates in return for having safe haven in that nation, attacking and plundering the state's enemies' merchant shipping. It makes sense, I mean we're basically acting as bandits, or land pirates, only there's a state, or I guess town in this case, willing to suspend prosecution for our crimes and grant safe haven. I'm surprised they didn't have something more specific to adventurers, or I suppose we aren't that common around these parts."
She grins, hunching a little. Conspiratorially.
"The way people talk some time, I thought the countryside would just be infested with adventurers. Seems we must be at least a little rare, though."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To be clear, what I'm getting is that you'll be following them back through the tunnel still?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

That's Stragen's vote, yes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The water inside the tunnel has receded since you were last there. It's still too deep to wade, but the party proceeds along in a small boat (perhaps with Cary swimming alongside?)

There's quite a bit of flotsam and jetsam from all the things you wrecked, and the hole to the river is now a strong waterfall.

After a league of travel, you near what looks like the end of the tunnel - it's getting brighter, and you start hearing motion. The opening is about 25 feet across, but even at a distance you can see that it's ringed with spiked barricades and other such redoubtery. You don't see anyone yet, but it's about 20 feet of waist-high water to wade through before you get to dry land, and then another 15 feet before you get to the first barricade.

You can pause the boat here. What do you do?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen rests the boatpole against the side when he hears motion. "Is that...fish? How much noise does a fish make. Are fish sneaky? I need fish advice. Fish tips." He looks expecantly at the swimming merfolk.

Stragen then pays attention to the incoming fortifications. "Oh, it's the goblins again, isn't it? Maybe they've allied themselves with the fish. Goblin fish-riders...?" Stragen prepares himself for combat with the aquatic goblin cavaliers.

Weapons out, Outer Sphere Stance.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Fish are stupid. Also there would only be a small number of inoffensive freshwater weak fish, and the goblins would've had only one night to establish an alliance. I do not believe we have anything to fear."
Cary drags herself up onto the shore, then nods towards the goblins.
"Sneak sneak?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can try sneaking in. It'll be a difficult roll with the water to make noise in, but I'll let just one of you lead the rest - a single check to be used by the whole party.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Right, that's my shingle. You lot follow my lead an' don't get yerselves caught." He moves quietly through the water, a task he does not much enjoy. Oh, sure, water was fine for drinking, if you didn't have ale or brandy, but who wanted to be all surrounded by it? It was so cold and damp and watery. Eurgh. Still, he managed to move through without too much noise.

Got a 25 on the stealth check, which will hopefully be enough to evade the goblins.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With a 25, you don't even leave ripples in the water. You see dozens of goblins on the move, with taller hobgoblins driving them forward as the four of you dash from cover to cover.

Up ahead, past the fortifications, the tunnel resolves into a gently sloped cave set into the side of a hill. You can see a large armed camp, with numerous tents and campfires dotting the area. In the distance, you see wagonloads of lumber being brought forward.

You can stalk forward, deeper into the camp, you can approach a specific thing/place/person, or you can ask me for more details of what you want to look for

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen looks for the leader(s?), so that they can crush him in a glorious spectacle and end everything in one mighty melee.

Failing that, he'll take the treasure tent.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

One of the newest technologies on the block is gunpowder, and the best use of gunpowder is in mining and excavation. Clearly these goblins should have a massive stockpile of it lurking somewhere, just waiting to be ignited.
Alternatively, the lumber stores should be ignited. Perhaps in combination with a few barrels of pitch, if they're around.

Or just light all the tents on fire. Fire is the answer. Somehow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Stragen: there is a tent about 200 feet dead ahead that is significantly larger than all the rest. That has to be where their leader is.

Cary: Some of the moles are being used by the hobgoblins as pack animals, and they're hauling lumber into stacks off to your left, and the traffic coming from that spot shows goblins bearing barrels of what look like enticingly flammable things. It is a very open area though, not much cover.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary nods towards the enticing barrels.
"Agni can light them on fire as a distraction from range. When they run to it, we strike at the big tent. Otherwise we'll just be overwhelmed."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
HP: 19/19 Resists: Fire 4 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni gives a sad nod. "Well yes I could, and it could be quite a sight. But I feel I should point out that I can't exactly set things on fire from a great distance, yet. If I wish to throw bolts of fire I need to be rather close, no more than twenty to thirty feet at the moment. Though I do believe I can simply, um, will things on fire at a bit more of a range. Perhaps four to five times as far. Not nearly as damaging of course as throwing fire around, but for the purpose of simply lighting barrels it should work."

Some mechanics for the class. Took awhile to find the range for my attack action Fire Bolts, since it uses different wording than spells. But Fire Bolt is a ranged touch attack with "short" aka close range and so at this level should be 30' range. Upon leveling it increased in damage but also I gained a new ability. Ignite is a Standard Action to set something on fire. There is no attack roll, and technically no save to catch on fire. There is a save should someone decide to spend an action rolling around on the ground to put it out. Ignite has a medium range, which is currently 120', and does 1d6+2 fire damage per round, or until it is put out. That said it always seems like wood doesn't burn all that well in D&D/Pathfinder because of Hardness, and the interaction of energy damage with objects. Also no idea if Burn interacts with Ignite at all, like if someone rolls around to try and put themself out and fail the save, does that then trigger Burn?

For the purpose of this plan/combat if we can actually get within 120' of some targets Agni can just start lighting things on fire each round, cause some confusion/havoc, won't be as damaging as just shooting people with fire, but it can be useful in this situation. Setting barrels of likely explosive material on fire, or setting the boss's tent on fire, etc.

Also in one more level at least half of any fire damage I do will always get through resistances, hardness and immunity. Which would be real useful for lighting things on fire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is what the lumber yard looks like:

The rocks provide some cover, and those brown blocks are the stacks of wood that you'll have to set on fire.

The hobgoblins are armed.

You have not been seen yet, so you go first on the initiative count. You also do not necessarily have to kill everyone, you can "exit" off the east, west or south portions of the map.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"OK, we're going to light everything up and rout the goblins while they're terrified of our mastery over fire." Stragen nods. "Sounds potent. If anybody notices you making fire, I'll stab them in the face. Perfect. All bases covered."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni gives the area a quick look, whispers to the others, "are you ready?" then presuming they are up for the plan and ready he will concentrate on the barrel to the north and cause it to burst into flames.

Ignite 120' range, no attack no save just catches fire. The barrel takes 1d6+2 fire damage per round until put out. Rolling around on the ground would allow a Reflex save DC 15 to put out, not sure how the barrel could make such a save.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The barrel catches on fire!

(the effect will resolve on its turn)

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

"Did they see us? I'm so ready to stab them if they see us."

Stragen will enter delay, ready to stab the poo poo out of a guy if it comes close. He'll probably walk into melee, use Encouraging Roar, then Swift Claws.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Gonna hide. Try an' draw 'em past me, an' I'll spring on 'em soon as they pass." Fleabag moves forward and hides behind one of the nearby rocks. Perhaps because he's excited by the prospect of combat, he's not quite as quiet as he was a moment ago. Still, he positions himself, hoping it's good enough.

14 on the stealth check, moving four squares east and one square north, just behind the rock. Let's hope they're not paying too much attention.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary hunches down, watching. Hopefully the goblins won't see the group. I mean, that would be fun, but there's a heck of a lot of goblins and eventually it would become not-fun. Hitting the leaders is definitely the way to go.

Bow drawn, maintaining focus, otherwise hoping like heck we won't get attacked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
BOOM!

The barrel explodes. The two victims standing next to it are taken completely by surprise and take 6 and 8 damage, respectively [1].

They all fan out to look for who did that, but they roll terribly on their Perception checks, so the group goes undetected for now (but this will become easier for them as you provoke them more).

pre:
Hobgoblin Worker 1
16/22 HP

Pack-Laden Mole 1
14/22 HP

Hobgoblin Worker 2
22/22 HP

Pack-Laden Mole 1
22/22 HP
[1] Exploding Barrel: 1d6+2=6, 1d6+2=8
[2] Perception check: 1d20+1=6, 1d20+1=3

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni watches as the nearest hobgoblin and mole rush away from the barrel, worried that they might find them after all. He also notices that the other pair moved away from their barrel so the trick won't likely work a second time. Instead he tries to set one of the nearest pair on fire in the hope it will slow them down, or cause a bit of a burning scuffle between them.

Are the hobgoblins riding the pack laden moles?
If the hobgoblins are on the moles then Ignite the nearest mole in the hope that it crushes the hobgoblin in its attempt to put out the fire, or that the burning mole will hurt the hobgoblin otherwise.
If the hobgoblins are not on the moles then Ignite the nearest hobgoblin.
Ignite 120' range, no attack no save just catches fire. The mole/hobgoblin takes 1d6+2 fire damage per round until put out. Rolling around on the ground would allow a Reflex save DC 15 to put out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The hobgoblins are not riding on the moles

The hobgoblin spontaneously catches fire!

It's a standard action to attempt to put out the fire, yes?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Doesn't actually say, but most things that set people on fire require a standard action to roll around on the ground.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen continues looking on expectantly. Most people would notice being lit on fire, right? Eventually.

Same as last round, waiting for the hobgoblins to notice what's going on.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

"We should stop after this. We need to approach the leader's tent."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag continues waiting behind the rock for the hobgoblins to come a bit closer.

Still hiding

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Enemy Turn

The hobgoblin to the north tries stop drop and roll, but is unsuccessful [1] and burns up even more, taking 6 damage [2]

However, they are able to notice Agni as the source of the attack [3], and move in. The hobgoblin on makes it so far after having tried to put himself out, but the mole blithely charges forward.

The other hobgoblin/mole pair are only moderately successful at sniffing you all out [4].

At this point I'm going to pause the action to let Cary, Fleabag and Stragen take their held actions

[1] DC 15 Reflex save: 1d20+5=13
[2] Ignite damage: 1d6+2=6
[3] Perception check: 1d20+5=22
[4] Perception check: 1d20+3=14

pre:
Hobgoblin Worker 1
10/22 HP
ON FIRE!!!

Pack-Laden Mole 1
14/22 HP

Hobgoblin Worker 2
22/22 HP

Pack-Laden Mole 1
22/22 HP

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"AND HERE COMES THE HALFLING! WHO'S A MAN AND A HALFLING? I'M A MAN AND A HALFLING! GOBLINSTABBIN' MAN AND A HALFLING!" The random gibberish Stragen unleashes after literally 12 seconds of keeping his mouth shut is somewhat motivating, and at least he tries to maul the mole in between his random yowls. "THERE'S NOTHING WRONG THAT I CAN'T FIX...WITH MY SWORD!"

Stragen uses Encouraging Roar, giving every ally within 30 feet a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls. He then takes a 5-foot step and full attacks the Pack-Laden Mole 1, swinging a 16 with the rapier for 15+2=17 damage (I forgot my own morale bonus the moment I looked away from it :goleft:) and a kukri for 12 with maybe 11 damage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In his fury, Stragen cuts the mole right through its beady eyes, slaying it instantly.

It had exactly 16 AC and DR 1/-, but 16 damage was still more than enough to kill it. You know that the other Mole would be this too

pre:
Hobgoblin Worker 1
10/22 HP
ON FIRE!!!

Pack-Laden Mole 1
DEAD

Hobgoblin Worker 2
22/22 HP

Pack-Laden Mole 2
AC 16, DR 1/-
22/22 HP

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Well great."
Cary lets a stream of arrows loose at the farther goblin. It's... impressive. Not entirely lethal, though.
She blinks. drat, that was fast! Ha!

Swift Wind Reader, +2 comp to ranged attacks for 1 round; Volley Technique expend focus Rapid Shot for 3 attacks at +8/1d8+2, spend 1 stamina to bump to +10 for one, 22 for 4, 16 for 9, 9 for 10 (forgot the wind reader on the rolls) on Hobgoblin 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Two solid hits from Cary. The hobgoblin is shot in the shoulder.

pre:
Hobgoblin Worker 1
AC 16
10/22 HP
ON FIRE!!!

Pack-Laden Mole 1
DEAD

Hobgoblin Worker 2
AC 16
9/22 HP

Pack-Laden Mole 2
AC 16, DR 1/-