Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen, the ground finally having settled, gingerly sets down his drink before venturing outside, stopping halfway out to gawk at the sinkhole. "...It's not a bear demon, right? It's a mole. I can handle moles. Not that I couldn't handle a demon!" He loosens his weapons nervously. "...Seriously, though, what is it. I can't see a thing down there. Did it get the yak?" He doubles back to the flopping merfolk, scratching his head. "And do you need, uh, a hand?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Yes, well, the latter. Not a lot of room on my back." Stragen tries with minimal success to provide a shoulder to lean on in a way that doesn't resemble a footstool. "Maybe there's posted bounties for moles. That's what I'd do if I had a mole problem," he nods, confidence creeping back into his voice.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Ain't far, right? I bet we could jump 'em. Well, I could jump 'em." Stragen pulls out his weapons and begins to limber up. "Maybe I could slow one down a tic, too. I have a trick I've been wanting to try."

Going into Outer Sphere Stance, now that I know it's moles and not bear demons.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"But isn't that guy kind of on fire? All the time." Stragen looks meaningfully at Agni. "I don't know about the sneaky approach. I think we might just want to take them down before they call to their...mole...pack? Whatever they have."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen got a 14.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Yelling wildly, Stragen crashes into the mole's tender hindquarters, weapons outstretched.

Srragen moves to flank with Fleabag, then uses Swift Claws to strike with both weapons. Rapier hits with a 22 for 13 damage, putting the mole down.

"Ha! Haha! WOO!" Stragen is jubilant at his success. "Mole...the most dangerous game."

Bleu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 30, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Time to teach these goblins a lesson...they'll NEVER FORGET." Stragen looks around hopefully to see how this line was received before shrugging his shoulders and charging the nonplussed goblins.

Clearly the goblins appreciated it, since Stragen gets the drop on them with 13 initiative. Stragen will move 30 feet and use Swift Claws again to stab Lesser Goblin 2 in the face. Whiffs with the rapier on a 9, hits with the kukri on a 16, hitting for 12 damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"DON'T WORRY. I GOT THIS." Stragen points with his rapier at the goblin in front of him, then comically draws it across his throat.

Stragen full attacks Lesser Goblin 4. Rapier misses on a 7, Kukri hits for 11 damage.

Clearly, the rapier across the throat was a cunning ploy to distract the goblin from being shanked in the liver. Clearly.

e: Whoops, got a little too excited and read the modified attack as the number on the die. Did not, in fact, crit the goblin.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 1, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"WOAH! WA'CHAOW! EEYAH!" The historically accurate halfling battlecries unnerve the blade-wielding goblin in front of Stragen long enough for him to tumble into a better position.

Stragen declares an Acrobatic Gambit as a swift action, then uses Acrobatics to tumble around Lesser Goblin 3 with a 20, recovering 4 maneuvers and granting himself and anyone else a bonus 1d6+4 damage if they strike Lesser Goblin 3 this round.

Having spun around to the back of the hapless goblin, Stragen feeds it several feet of steel.

Stragen critically threatens with a 20 on the die, confirming with a 17. The goblin gets splattered for 31 damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Having abandoned consonants in the midst of battle fever, Stragen screeches at the recoiling goblins about yurts and the Hobgoblin Illuminati as he springs into their midst, striking furiously.

Stragen declares another Acrobatic Gambit and tumbles past Lesser Goblin 6 with a 22 into the tile beside Lesser Goblin 6 and 8, refreshing maneuvers and granting everyone 1d6+4 damage on hit to Lesser Goblin 6 until next round. Then, he uses Swift Claws to stab twice at Lesser Goblin 8, missing with the rapier on a 10 and hitting with the kukri on a 16 for 13 damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen scrambles up off the ground from where he dropkicked the last goblin into unconsciousness. "But it shot me in the-oh, whatever, wasn't that bad." Stragen cuts the sentence short, dusts off his leathers, and helps Cary with the long and arduous journey back up to the surface world.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen ostentatiously pulls out his kukri and begins sharpening it in front of the goblin, staring at him and mouthing the word, "Yurts." Then, he cuts his finger, drops the kukri with a curse, and completely ruins the effect.

Stragen tries to aid in the Intimidate check, but fails with a 9.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"HOBGOBRINS!" Stragen yells around the thumb stuck inside his mouth. "I thold you sho." He races up to the chair and gives it a one-handed shake - more like a wobble, really. A firm rocking. "Tell me about the hobgoblins! Who's leading them to attack innocents? Is it a demon? Is it two demons!?"

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen looks up at Cary, Agni, and Fleabag, in turn, his eyes as round as dinner plates. "We going to save this village from the goblins." He looks to Goblin. "We going to save this village from the goblins."

He scrambles manfully up onto a barstool and addresses the few villagers of Pawford gawking at the goblin that the outsiders dragged out of the mole pit. "WE'RE GOING TO SAVE THIS VILLAGE FROM THE GOBLINS." Somehow, when Stragen says it, it sounds less like mortal struggle and more like a birthday party. He does a little jig, nothing special, but his heart is in it.

Once he settles down, Stragen, in a fit of economic acumen (perhaps showing off his burgher roots), suggests selling off the following items that probably aren't worth hanging onto:

Scroll of Flaming Sphere (150 gp)
Masterwork Scimitar (315 gp)
Masterwork Buckler (165 gp)

This would give us another 630 GP, or 157.50 each. Unless anybody wants to hang onto one of these, that'd put Stragen at the point where he can buy masterwork versions of the trademark rapier and kukri, which he'll do, if that sounds reasonable.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 8, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Goblins! Shopping! Woo!" Stragen trudges to the Pawford trading post, Glenda trailing him and loudly cursing for him to sit back down until she finishes tying off his bandage.

Stragen will go ahead and sell the loose items and buy newer, masterful weapons. If he has time, he'll regain 5 HP from Glenda's ministrations - 8/13 HP worth of healing remaining.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen looks to his new "crew", then narrows his eyes and nods slowly. "Here's the plan. We find the goblins...and then...we save the village. From the goblins." He pulls out his knife and swings it through the air illustratively. "Maybe we could cut down some of their...tunnel strong-makers. Does anyone have a hatchet? Or know a lumberjack?"

Stragen arms himself and goes into Outer Sphere Stance.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Keeping it down for a moment, Stragen points to the scaffolding, holds up 4 fingers, makes a chopping motion with his left hand into his right knee, moves his head diagonally up and left, winks twice, and then nods.

...After a brief pause, he just whispers, "We should chop down that scaffold. Maybe we can drop it on a few of the little blighters."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"TIME'S UP, GOBLINS! HERE! COMES! JUSTICE! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Stragen compresses himself down like a ball, then launches himself through the air like a missile, coming down running at the closest mole-rider.

Stragen uses Leaping Dragon to long jump as a swift action, getting a 26 and jumping 25 feet. Then he uses Swift Claws to stab at Mounted Mole 1, gettting 13 on the rapier and 9 on the kukri. If the rapier hits, it does 10 damage.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"I got this. I got this. I got this. I-" *arcane mumbling in the distance* "I DON'T GOT THIS. YOU GOT THIS, RIGHT? HELP! YOU GOT THIS! EYE OF THE RATFOLK!" Stragen, desperate to try and catch up to Fleabag, sets his shoulder behind his thrust, stabbing deeply into the armored mole's soft underbelly.

Stragen uses Hunting Party to hit the flanked Mounted Mole 1 one-handed, getting a 20 and hitting it for 15 damage. It would potentially have granted an opportunity attack, but nobody is adjacent to Stragen.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 18, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"WE GOTTA-" *swoosh* "TAKE OUT-" *fwoosh* "THE TUNNEL!" Stragen's voice is calmer - relatively speaking - as he barely slaps away the screeching goblins' bits of rusty metal and tumbles beside Agni. He chops at a hopefully-load-bearing piece of lumber, burying his kukri into the structure, then uses it as leverage to stab around the corner at the remaining goblin, who shrieks briefly as the rapier hits deeply down through his neck.

Stragen declares an Acrobatic Gambit and tumbles past Underlings 7 and 10, getting a 10 on the first check and an 18 on the second check, barely beating the DCs of 10 and 12 respectively. Stragen leaves Underlings 7 and 10 unbalanced (1d6+4 damage on hit), refreshes maneuvers, and rolls up one tile east of Agni. Then, he'll use Swift Claws, hitting Underling 9 with the rapier and the scaffolding with the kukri. Stragen critically threatens with 24, but doesn't confirm, so he hits the Underling for 10 damage. The scaffolding takes 9 slashing damage.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 19, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Embodying the lumberjack, Stragen hews madly at the scaffolding with his kukri while impaling another squealing goblin as it turns the around the corner to him.

Stragen full attacks, hitting the goblin with the rapier and the scaffold with the kukri. The goblin gets hit with the rapier on a 22, dealing 10 damage. The scaffold takes 10 slashing damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen got a 14 on his Perception check. 16 if he's spotting a trap, secret compartment, or secret door! :goleft: Should he go ahead and act, or will the Perception check have an impact on the upcoming round?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"HEY! HEY, YOU GOBLINS! STOP IT! I GOTTA SAVE THE VILLAGE." Stragen pries his kukri out from the rickety scaffolding, jams it between his teeth, and then grabs a likely looking hunk of timber and uses it like a gymnastic bar to somersault beside the nearer goblin, fending it off with the rapier while he hacks at another strategically placed log.

Stragen uses Leaping Dragon, rolling 32 and allowing him to jump 30 feet. Since he only needs to jump 15, let's say he uses the rest of it to flip cinematically around the scaffolding before planting himself one tile south of Goblin Underling 16.

Once he's there, he'll full attack, again hitting the goblin with the rapier and the scaffold with the kukri. Stragen gets 16 to hit the goblin, doing 12 damage, and the scaffolding takes 9 slashing damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen fails to see or really hear anything beyond the sound of cracking wood and splinters flying everywhere.

Stragen full attacks the heap of lumber, doing 9-5=4 piercing damage and 13 slashing damage. Surely this was a good idea.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

As the river begins flowing down right beside Stragen, he quickly checks the wreckage for a relatively buoyant-looking chunk of wood. His masterplan - stab his kukri into the timber and use it like a handle to ride the makeshift halfling waveboard into/away from the goblins. Not sure yet. We'll see. If it's a masterplan, I mean.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen got a big six.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen got a 15 |:^|

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen claws himself up out of the muddy sinkhole just in time to see Cary slip back down into the depths. Moments later, he hauls out a large and clearly-not-very-buoyant hunk of timber behind him, his kukri still firmly embedded in the middle.

Once he sees a gathering crowd, Stragen shrewdly puts two and two together, the props the soggy log up as a makeshift podium before scrambling on top. "Have no fear, CITIZENS of PAWFORD! The UNFORGETTABLE ADVENTURING COMPANY has *blub*-" Stragen cuts off halfway through to release a small gout of water from his slightly abused guts, then continues as though nothing happened. "-has LIBERATED you from the TYRANNY of the GOBLINOIDS and their DARK ARTS OF...of...TUNNELCATION." He shakes himself off, dog-like, before striking what he hopes is a heroic pose.

Stragen's heroic speech, besides being extremely awesome and accurate, might improve peoples' attitudes towards the UNFORGETTABLE ADVENTURING COMPANY with a 17 on a Diplomacy check to see if their attitudes improve.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

After a period of completely illiterate shouting along with the citizens of Pawford, Stragen eventually remembers his words. "And NOW, with your finest Ulovan STEEL, we're going to we're going to STRIKE BACK! We're going to use this BLACK CHASM that the goblins CUT INTO THE EARTH to track them back to their RAIDING...LAIR? DEN. CAMP! And when we find them, we'll put an END to their CHICANERY with a double dose of JUSTICE! For ULOVA AND GOOD KING THUON! HIRE US, GOOD CITIZENS! Even if it's just for a FINE DRINK, whereas my PREVIOUS DRINK was FELLED by dreaded GOBLIN MOLE LABOUR!" He hauls up the rest of his party from their assorted lounging and/or recuperating places to serve as helpful props for looking appropriately dangerous and capable.

Stragen requests the Good People of Pawford contract his new crew to push back the goblins, rolling a 14. Maybe other Unforgettable Adventurers could try, or use Aid Another to add a bonus, too?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen nods along with an intent look on his face as the letter is read, especially when he hears the promise of reward. Adventuring is finally paying off! Take that, cousin Ambrose! I bet you'll never make this much money with your prized spicy fire beetle stew!

"We're on our way, good Mayor! We'll follow their tunnels and find the goblins and their hobgoblin and bobhoblin and mole demon allies wherever they are! We'll drive them so far back into the Hills that they'll be...uh, they'll be lost there! Forever! BETRAYED! By the Hills!"

He leans over to Fleabag, though, and whispers. "Are we even near the ocean? Maybe the Mayor was a pirate."

Bleu fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 3, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

That's Stragen's vote, yes.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen rests the boatpole against the side when he hears motion. "Is that...fish? How much noise does a fish make. Are fish sneaky? I need fish advice. Fish tips." He looks expecantly at the swimming merfolk.

Stragen then pays attention to the incoming fortifications. "Oh, it's the goblins again, isn't it? Maybe they've allied themselves with the fish. Goblin fish-riders...?" Stragen prepares himself for combat with the aquatic goblin cavaliers.

Weapons out, Outer Sphere Stance.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen looks for the leader(s?), so that they can crush him in a glorious spectacle and end everything in one mighty melee.

Failing that, he'll take the treasure tent.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"OK, we're going to light everything up and rout the goblins while they're terrified of our mastery over fire." Stragen nods. "Sounds potent. If anybody notices you making fire, I'll stab them in the face. Perfect. All bases covered."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

"Did they see us? I'm so ready to stab them if they see us."

Stragen will enter delay, ready to stab the poo poo out of a guy if it comes close. He'll probably walk into melee, use Encouraging Roar, then Swift Claws.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen continues looking on expectantly. Most people would notice being lit on fire, right? Eventually.

Same as last round, waiting for the hobgoblins to notice what's going on.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"AND HERE COMES THE HALFLING! WHO'S A MAN AND A HALFLING? I'M A MAN AND A HALFLING! GOBLINSTABBIN' MAN AND A HALFLING!" The random gibberish Stragen unleashes after literally 12 seconds of keeping his mouth shut is somewhat motivating, and at least he tries to maul the mole in between his random yowls. "THERE'S NOTHING WRONG THAT I CAN'T FIX...WITH MY SWORD!"

Stragen uses Encouraging Roar, giving every ally within 30 feet a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls. He then takes a 5-foot step and full attacks the Pack-Laden Mole 1, swinging a 16 with the rapier for 15+2=17 damage (I forgot my own morale bonus the moment I looked away from it :goleft:) and a kukri for 12 with maybe 11 damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Shrieking, Stragen does a double somersault into a leap across the battlefield, landing right beside the hidden Fleabag in a cloud of dust. Blades outstretched, he charges the hobgoblin, batting the shortbow out of the way with the rapier before disemboweling him with a savage slash to the gut with his kukri.

Stragen uses Leaping Dragon to jump straight east for 25 feet, then he'll walk 25 feet to end up in the tile directly north of Hobgoblin Worker 2. Then he'll use Swift Claws to stab at Hobgoblin Worker 2. He misses with the rapier on a 13, but critically threatens with the kukri, dealing 13 damage. Stragen confirms with a 16, doing a total 13+9=22 damage.

For the record, your current system for monster stats is just fine for a team that doesn't have the skills to use the Monster Lore rules in Pathfinder, which (besides being super annoying) slow things down a lot.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 23, 2015

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen nods wildly, his hair coated in dust and sweat. "They won't be able to cause too much more trouble without their supplies. No more tunnels."

"Anyway, once we've toppled their leaders and scattered these goblins to the four winds (of justice), we probably just take their loot and put it to the cause (of justice). We stopped them before they could actually steal anything from Pawford, right? It's probably just assorted knick-knacks they stole from other goblins or found in some ruin in the Hills." Stragen stops in the middle of his planning to look curiously at the still-blazing barrel. "Also, did that thing explode?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen cracks his knuckles and tries (unsuccessfully) to look grim. "Looks like it's time...to gob some hobs." He checks to see how this was received - the not-really-wordplay, that is, not the proposal.

Stragen votes for charging in. He can even reach Footsoldier 1 without a lot of trouble, in which case he'll use his Encouraging Roar->Swift Claws routine.

• Locked thread