Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage by Ryuujin

Agni looks at the cat-person, thing, that gave its name as Fleabag. "This matter seems rather urgent, and a deed well done will likely be better received than one where we go up to random people asking them to pay us to do what we are going to do anyway."

He begins to look for a way down. "Well I don't think it is a bear demon. Mole demon, giant mole, or some other burrowing creature perhaps. A bear demon, not as likely. I don't believe they burrow under towns."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni looks to Cary. "That might not be the best idea. If you must be stealthy, you can proceed ahead, and In can follow far enough behind to not draw attention to you. Then I can join the battle from a distance when you are ready. Perhaps if they actually spot me, though being moles I am not too certain about their eyesight, they will come rushing me without spotting you?"

He pauses for a moment in thought. "How stealthy are you when you aren't riding a yakk or mule?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni stays far back, at least until the others indicate they are starting, or until the moles start attacking.

Stealth 1d20+3 4 if needed, hopefully it isn't needed since he is staying way back.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni moves up behind Cary as she begins to cut into the moles with a certain, oddly disturbing, focus.

Move to square just one to the north west of Cary.
Initiative 1d20+3 6 not a very good start so far orokos.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni moves up with the others, getting a better look at the goblins that have appeared. It seems the group was taking them down, and well goblins are usually hostile anyway, so he proceeds to do the same.

He hurls a bolt of flame toward the injured goblin, finishing it off.

Move 30' toward the goblins.
Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs lesser goblin 1 1d20+3 17 for 1d6+1 4 Fire damage.
Well finally rolled okay on a d20 roll, kind of blah on the damage roll though, but still enough to finish the goblin.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni looks at Fleabag with some confusion. "What?" He assumes the cat wants him to actually get in there and put his life on the line. He is not real thrilled with the idea, but he does want to make up for his past actions, and it does sound somewhat heroic. So he reluctantly moves forward. "Uh please save me if they end up attacking me."

He steps up between two of the goblins, one rather heavily injured then mutters, "I hope this works." Then he explodes into flame. The flames wash away from him out to a ten foot radius, catching four of the goblins within.

Move directly between lesser goblin 3 and 5.
Fire Burst DC 14 Reflex save for half, fail also Burns for 1d6+1 5 Fire damage, half on a successful save, to goblins 5, 3, 7, and 8. If any fail the save they not only take full damage but also catch Fire from the Burn feat, not sure if they get another save DC 13 to avoid or if that is only for when punching things. Burn has them take 1d6+1 fire damage per round until they put it out. Either way lesser goblin 5 should be dead.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phone posting, missed the updated map. Can't really do this without getting an OA it looks like, if I can maybe move around the hole and end at the 4 I can instead hit all of the goblins with my 10' burst.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
AC: 15 | FF: 12 | Touch: 13 | For: +5 | Ref: +5 | Will: +2
HP: 6/11 Resists: Fire 2 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni looks to Fleabag again. "Oh, well perhaps if you were clearer I wouldn't have made that mistake." Seeing the others rush up right into where he would have unleashed his flames he instead carefully steps back away from the goblins, and once more flings a bolt of fire at the most injured looking goblin, but between his confusion over Fleabag's terminology, and his hasty retreat from the goblins, he ends up missing.

5' step to square directly south of Stragen.
Fire Bolt (ranged touch attack) vs lesser goblin 7 1d20+3 7 for 1d6+1 6 Fire damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
HP: 11/11 Resists: Fire 2 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni gives a small smile at Stragen's antics. "Yes, well that is the idea." He listens to the others talk about selling some of the stuff they found and speaks up. "I could actually make use of the scroll of flaming sphere, but it is probably of more use as gold for further supplies."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni follows along behind the others, assuming that they would again like to slip ahead quietly. He does keep them in view, so that if they get attacked he can move forward and respond.

Healed 5 by Glenda, so 6 more available.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni blinks, "uh well I can try and go in and set it all on fire, not sure I can really get in there and set it off before they cut me up." If given the blur potion he will drink it in the hope that he can move in and pull it all off without getting pulped.

Then Stragen leaps in. And well that makes it more difficult to really let loose. Still Agni begins to move in and tries to fry the shaman atop the scaffolding.

Drink Blur potion if given it.
Move in 30ft trying to get close enough to burst a bunch of goblins.
Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs goblin shaman 1d20+3 6 1d6+1 6 fire damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
HP: 04/11 Resists: Fire 2 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni winces as the blows land, beginning to wonder about that potion. Then he erupts in fire. The fire expands from his body into a 10ft radius sphere before collapsing again, burning the goblins and mole rats within range, and possibly leaving some on fire.

5ft step to the right to get one more goblin within the 10ft radius.
Fire Burst DC 14 Reflex save for half, fail also Burns 1d6+1 7 fire damage on a failed save, half on a success, and a failed save catches fire as per Burn and takes 1d6+1 fire damage per round until they put it out.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 19, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni looks to Cary, quickly debates coming to her rescue before looking toward the nearby group of goblins. The mole will probably burn to death before it can fillet her, and the nearby goblins are a more pressing concern as they may team up on someone. So he moves far enough away not to hit Fleabag or Stragen, before once more unleashing a burst of fire from his crackling skin.

Move to where underling 7 and 10 are within the 10ft radius of Fire Burst but no allies are.
Fire Burst DC 14 Reflex save for half, fail also Burns 1d6+1 3 fire damage on a failed save, half on a success, and a failed save catches fire as per Burn and takes 1d6+1 fire damage per round until they put it out.

Was worried about trying to save Cary, but hopefully the mole burns to death at the start of its next turn or something.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Another goblin moves into Agni's face, with more goblins drawing near. Luckily the others are far enough away not to get hit when he once more sheds fire around him. The fires rush out and once more try to wash over the nearby goblins.

As the flames die down the three goblins fall.

"I really don't know why they keep throwing their lives away. Anyone have any ideas?"

Fire Burst DC 14 Reflex save for half, fail also Burns 1d6+1 6 fire damage on a failed save, half on a success, and a failed save catches fire as per Burn and takes 1d6+1 fire damage per round until they put it out.

Should hit Goblin Underling 10, 11 and 14. Even if they succeed on the save they will take 3 fire damage so yeah.

I think between that and Stragen that leaves 8 and 13 nearby and 15 and 16 far away.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni goes up to the scaffolding and attempts to set it on fire by punching it.

Move to scaffolding.
Punch scaffolding if no attack roll needed then I do 1 physical and 1d6+1 6 fire damage and it would have to make a reflex save or catch fire and continue to burn until but out. If an attack roll is needed to hit it though... 1d20-2 0 Agni can't punch the broad side of a barn, at least unless he gets that feat that lets him use Cha in place of Str for melee attacks, or picks up Finesse or something.

Perception 1d20+4 6
Man orokos is insistent on giving me 2s on my d20 rolls.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni looks panicked. "Um, what?" Okay flooding the area might take out any more goblins but that wouldn't do HIM any good if it gets him killed. So he looks around for something to grab onto, then eventually takes some parts of the scaffolding and hold on hoping they keep him safe, perhaps he can wedge them into one of the tunnels to keep from being washed away.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni Survival 1d20 9

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
In case this is still needed Swim 1d20-2 1, so uh yeah, hopefully Cary saves Agni.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni coughs up some water, then croaks out a "what happened?" before Cary rushes back into the water.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
HP: 12/19 Resists: Fire 4 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni works out some soreness from his recent flooding, he hobbles over to Cary both to see what she has found, and to inform her "Apparently WE our the Unforgettable Adventuring Company, at least according to Stragen. And I suppose it is as good a name as any."

Actually I am curious about hit points, do we roll our hit die for the levels beyond 1st? Or do we take like half or three quarters?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 30, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
HP: 12/19 Resists: Fire 4 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni gives Stragen a LOOK then sighs. Then, once Stragen lets go he follows Cary's suit. Though he doesn't exactly have many, unsettling, teeth. Instead he has flames that dance along his blacked and burned body. He creates an astonishing, and frightening, display of fire to show just how dangerous and capable he is. Because this will somehow fill the citizens with confidence.

Intimidate 1d20+9 25
Slightly better intimidate modifier than Cary, despite her teeth, but a really nice roll.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage
HP: 19/19 Resists: Fire 4 | Acid 5 | Cold 5 | Electricity 5

Agni gives a sad nod. "Well yes I could, and it could be quite a sight. But I feel I should point out that I can't exactly set things on fire from a great distance, yet. If I wish to throw bolts of fire I need to be rather close, no more than twenty to thirty feet at the moment. Though I do believe I can simply, um, will things on fire at a bit more of a range. Perhaps four to five times as far. Not nearly as damaging of course as throwing fire around, but for the purpose of simply lighting barrels it should work."

Some mechanics for the class. Took awhile to find the range for my attack action Fire Bolts, since it uses different wording than spells. But Fire Bolt is a ranged touch attack with "short" aka close range and so at this level should be 30' range. Upon leveling it increased in damage but also I gained a new ability. Ignite is a Standard Action to set something on fire. There is no attack roll, and technically no save to catch on fire. There is a save should someone decide to spend an action rolling around on the ground to put it out. Ignite has a medium range, which is currently 120', and does 1d6+2 fire damage per round, or until it is put out. That said it always seems like wood doesn't burn all that well in D&D/Pathfinder because of Hardness, and the interaction of energy damage with objects. Also no idea if Burn interacts with Ignite at all, like if someone rolls around to try and put themself out and fail the save, does that then trigger Burn?

For the purpose of this plan/combat if we can actually get within 120' of some targets Agni can just start lighting things on fire each round, cause some confusion/havoc, won't be as damaging as just shooting people with fire, but it can be useful in this situation. Setting barrels of likely explosive material on fire, or setting the boss's tent on fire, etc.

Also in one more level at least half of any fire damage I do will always get through resistances, hardness and immunity. Which would be real useful for lighting things on fire.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni gives the area a quick look, whispers to the others, "are you ready?" then presuming they are up for the plan and ready he will concentrate on the barrel to the north and cause it to burst into flames.

Ignite 120' range, no attack no save just catches fire. The barrel takes 1d6+2 fire damage per round until put out. Rolling around on the ground would allow a Reflex save DC 15 to put out, not sure how the barrel could make such a save.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni watches as the nearest hobgoblin and mole rush away from the barrel, worried that they might find them after all. He also notices that the other pair moved away from their barrel so the trick won't likely work a second time. Instead he tries to set one of the nearest pair on fire in the hope it will slow them down, or cause a bit of a burning scuffle between them.

Are the hobgoblins riding the pack laden moles?
If the hobgoblins are on the moles then Ignite the nearest mole in the hope that it crushes the hobgoblin in its attempt to put out the fire, or that the burning mole will hurt the hobgoblin otherwise.
If the hobgoblins are not on the moles then Ignite the nearest hobgoblin.
Ignite 120' range, no attack no save just catches fire. The mole/hobgoblin takes 1d6+2 fire damage per round until put out. Rolling around on the ground would allow a Reflex save DC 15 to put out.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Doesn't actually say, but most things that set people on fire require a standard action to roll around on the ground.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni points at the burning hobgoblin coming toward him, on the one hand it is on fire and will eventually succumb, on the other hand it looks really angry at him and is charging toward him. He kind of doesn't want that to happen, so he tries to put the rampaging hobgoblin down with a bolt of fire.

Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs hobgoblin 1 1d20+4+2 13 for 2d6+2+2 14 fire damage.
Not sure how much of their AC is armor and how much is dex, but unless they have more than 16 dex a 13 should hit touch AC.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni watches Stragen leap forth, worries a bit, then turns the corner and peaks through the tent opening, he then unleashes a bolt of fire at one of the nearest, still upright, hobgoblins.

Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs Footsoldier 2 1d20+4+2 17 for 2d6+2+2 10 fire damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni attempts to burn the nearest hobgoblin with a bolt of fire, but misses completely.

Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs Footsoldier 3 1d20+4 8 for 2d6+2 10 fire damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni again attempts to burn the most injured hobgoblin with a bolt of fire, but again misses terribly.

Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs Footsoldier 3 1d20+4 5 for 2d6+2 13 fire damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni gets tired of missing with bolts of fire and simply looks at one of the hobgoblins and wills it to catch fire.

Hmm could try and do a Fire Burst to hit both of these footsoldiers, but I would then hit Cary, or if I 5' stepped then Stragen would be hit. The latter would be really bad but the former wouldn't be all that good either.

So instead will use Ignite (standard action): Medium Range 120‘, auto hit, catch fire and take 1d6+2 Fire damage/round DC 15 Reflex save when rolling around to put out. If Cary's attacks don't take out her target then target the same footsoldier.

Also 5' step away from the footsoldiers, not that it accomplishes much.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni nods then moves into the tent, keeping clear of any hobgoblins that might rush forward, and grabs Stragen, then does his best to carry or drag the fallen fellow out of the burning tent.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni nods "pincer maneuver then?" He then starts walking around the southern end of the tent, intending to come up from the south of the hobgoblins, hoping someone accompanies him while the other two go north.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah my fire resistance isn't good enough yet for me to feel confident of just walking through the fire, the intent was to go on the outside of the tent.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni follows Fleabag around the tent, ending up a bit outside, where he could look into the tent but they would hopefully not notice him. Then he prepares to unleash some more fire, but in a moment.

Also double moving around the tent, probably just off the map so that he can look inside, but if possible be hard to spot from inside. Want to be able to attack next round, but didn't have the move to move and attack this round.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni moves up to the tent flap, looks inside, then proceeds to shoot the nearest hobgoblin with a terrible bolt of fire that incinerates the poor thing.

Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs hobgoblin sergeant 2 1d20+4 24 crit! potentially for 2d6+2 11 damage if not a crit and
assuming an 18 hits touch AC, which it does then an additional 8 Fire damage, for a total of 19 Fire damage to hogboblin sergeant 2

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni is a bit surprised by the hobgoblins' surrender. He didn't expect this, and he wasn't sure what to do, but luckily Cary seems to have some idea. So he leaves the securing of prisoners, and their transportation, to the others and begins to set things on fire, though nothing that will threaten the group.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni also looks confused, both about the petard talk and about Cary's attempt at intimidation. Though he thinks she may have threatened to eat them, but he hopes he misunderstood.

Agni will be okay with the plan to position the barrel and then set it off to start the next battle. That said he will probably be a bit put off if Cary actually goes about eating the hobgoblins in front of him.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni moves up behind one of the shorter barriers to the north, hiding as well as he can behind it but positioning so that he can see anyone moving through the first two barriers, as well as having a good view of the barrel when it is positioned so that he could ignite it when needed.

Positioned behind the small barrier to the north. Sadly Agni is not very good for setting up flanks, though if he got into melee he could start erupting in fire but then he would probably get cut down.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni starts the festivities by igniting the barrel. The resulting explosion will likely distract the gobinoids so that Stragen and Fleabag can do their thing. Whatever it is.

Using Ignite as a Standard Action on the barrel. Medium Range 120‘, auto hit, catch fire and take 1d6+2 Fire damage/round DC15 Reflex save when rolling around to put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni flicks a finger at the earth encrusted goblin and emits a ray of fire. The bolt manages to connect and nearly takes the goblin down in a single blow.

Fire bolt (ranged touch attack) vs Earthwarder w/Encouraging Roar 1d20+4+2 13 hit! For 2d6+2+2 12 Fire Damage to Earthwarder. Just under what was needed to take him down.

• Locked thread