Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cary

Cary gasps.
"Is this an earthquake? Is this what an earthquake is like on land? At sea we end up with tsunamis, but that only means you need to make sure you're far enough seaward that you won't get caught up in the waves when they go ashore, and we often end up following the tsunami because of the, uh, livestock that get swept back into the sea, but I've never been on land when it happened before, will the ground split open I heard that in a story once, that a person was standing on the ground and a great chasm split open and he was swallowed up by the earth, that would be terrible I know that drowning is not fun for airbreathers and there is not enough oxygen in the ground to breathe and I would not like to experience that oh no the yak! The yak is crying! It will run, and that was such a problem before, it can run so far when frightened! I'm sorry I must go!"

The fishwoman flops to the ground, and starts wriggling over towards the exit. She is not very fast at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cary

"Oh noooooo! Not big mole! It will eat my yak!"
Cary pauses, confused.
"What is mole? Does it eat yaks? Also how does it swim in the ground? I thought things suffocate in the ground?"

The ground shudders again, and Cary's head whips back towards the renewed bleating.
"No my yak! I must go and hunt big mole!"
And now she's unslinging her bow from her back and still wriggling over towards the door.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Well what I really need is a foot. Or two. Walking seems so convenient."
She murmurs something to the yak to calm it further, then stares at the hole.

"We're not going down there, are we? It's going to collapse and we'll suffocate. I don't want to learn what drowning is like. I've seen it, uh, a few times. Looks miserable."
She looks around at the street.
"This seems like it's going to be quite inconvenient for the town. Could we pursue a quest to fill in the hole? We could rent a cart for my yak and locate a quarry..."

She trails off, looking at the halfling.
"Or is that too... unheroic? It is, isn't it? I'm still learning. We should... hunt the mole, right? Should we locate a questgiver first or just trust that heroics will be rewarded in due course? Oh!"
She looks back down at the hole, and grins.
"Are you offering to carry me? Or offer a shoulder? That would be greatly appreciated! I promise I won't bite. I am not like that idiot scorpion from the fable."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary watches the catperson go scout, and looks down at the halfling she's leaning on.
"He's going to mince the mole alone? Can we still benefit from completing the quest? I am still learning about... 'fairness,' but that seems unfair. For him. I'm not sure if I should complain or not. It seems nice for me, but also unheroic, and I'm supposed to be a hero completing quests."

She watches the hole a little bit longer, then laughs melodiously.
"Hahaha. Fleabag Molemincer, Slayer of Subterranean Soricomorphs."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Well I'm planning on shooting them, obviously, but if they're much larger than dogs I doubt I could drop one immediately, much less two at once. Hmm. Well, moles aren't carnivores, but maybe giant moles are? We could bait them out with raw meat. Or, if they're still herbivores, succulent beets or carrots?"
She blinks.
"Not that I have either on me. I could try taunting them into a rage? Or sing to lure them. Otherwise... I'm actually marginally stealthy when I need to be, so I could just trail in behind as we all try to sneak up on them."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"A labor."

She looks at Agni.
"Can we drape a tarp over him?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary shrugs.
"Stealthy like a slithering snake. A seven foot long slithering snake producing about as much noise as an untalented novice sneaking human thug. Overall, mildly stealthy."
She slithers around, tail waving in a serpentine motion, making a pretty soft rasping sound as her scales pass over the ground.

"I've learned to stop humming when trying to hunt stealthily. The standards of hunting are quite different on the surface, the acoustic properties of the air and ground don't produce the same disorientation in prey as in the sea. I think I'd want to hang back regardless."

+4 stealth, woop woop.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"None of us are ruminants, though, and even if we were that would be a pretty gross thing to share."
She tilts her head.
"We should get moving quick before they start digging again."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary's pretty sneaky with a 16.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Ahahahah!! Death to moles! We shall dine on the tough sinewy fruit of the earth tonight! Ahahahah!!!"
A pair of arrows thwip past Fleabag into one of the moles, weirdly accurate but mostly getting caught in the beast's fur.
And then she starts humming, something vaguely and wildly like a hunting chant swelling from apparently quite expansive lungs. It's... uh... certainly some humming?

Rapid shot, full attack, spend 2 stamina to negate penalties, swift action wind reader for +2 attack, end is 2 attacks at +8 for 1d8+1. 10 (miss), 20 for 8, sing 8.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Ha! This is much better than hunting alone!"
Still humming, now more calmly, she flops over to the moles, pulls out a fairly mean looking knife, and starts butchering.

Almost immediately, she stops, and peers further down the tunnel.
"Wait... perhaps there are more and our quest is not yet complete?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary instantly goes quiet, staring down the tunnel.
"More villains?"

10' double move directly south.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary stops, then grins widely. Very, very widely.
"Those must be goblins!! Yee! And we're not in a city either, so we can hunt them, yes?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Hunting it is!"
Cary makes an odd hop forward, then takes an extra half-second to line up her shot.
"Ah, dangit. Too far away! Stragen, draw them in! Er, please."

Init 18, attack L.Gob 1 24 for 7.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Haha! Blood! Blood!! Seh la seh goe shaaa...."

A pair of arrows thwip past the melee, towards the forward archer goblin, as Cary begins to sing some no doubt abominable merfolk hunting song. It's not entirely clear since it is another language, but she seems to be a poor singer. Or... merely an overly enthusiastic one? Perhaps dwarven songs would suit her better...

Use wind reader swift (2/4 left), full attack rapid shot for 2 at +5 for 1d8, attack L.Gob 5 19 for 6 and 22 for 4, sing 6.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

The singing continues. Perhaps it's the bloodloss, but it's sounding progressively more angelic. Further shots thwip past, at the isolated archer goblin.

Sing 24, wind reader (1/4 left), 2 attacks on L.Gob 7 24 for 5 and 22 for 1. Gobdammit all these 19s wtf.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Another pair of arrows thwip at the newly unbalanced goblin, one getting dodged while the second lands right in the little thing's neck.
The singing continues, though it's ebbing now that there's only a single, wounded goblin left, and she abruptly stops.

"Should we interrogate it? Knock it out!"

Wind reader (0/4 left), attack L.Gob 6 with a 9 miss and a 15 for 13, sing 15.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Holy poo poo look at all this stuff. Wonder why they didn't use any of it? Also this is like enough money right here for me to get along for, like, years. This is great, I should've found an adventuring party earlier. Kobolds just have coal and sometimes copper, which is sort of valuable but also heavy."

Cary kind of half crouches (it's really hard to describe merfolk sitting positions, okay) over the goblin, staring at it.
"I wanna interrogate it. Second best part of hunting things that can talk is gaining intelligence on enemy strength and composition. Namely, why did they dig that big hole in the middle of town. Also, where are the hobgoblins."

She nods.
"Can anyone think of other questions? We can't discuss it during the interrogation itself. If it senses weakness it'll start to mock us and grow uncooperative. That's what my brother always said."

As she looks around the rest of the party, she starts to frown, and tilts her head.
"Hmmmm. You guys look pretty roughed up. We really need a healer. Could we hire a healer? Aren't adventurers supposed to be able to hire min... wait, no, minions are for villains. Adventurers hire... hirelings? Followers? Henchmen? Mercenaries. We should go back to town and see if we can hire mercenaries. Yes."

zachol fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 3, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Hey everyone this is the new mercenary Glenda, Glenda this is Stragen, Agni and Fleabag. Glenda's agreed to patch us up! She's great. Also, Glenda, this is my yak. I didn't necessarily mention it but I'd appreciate if you kept an eye on it too. I haven't seen any around lately and I'm not sure where I'd get another one. Also this is a goblin."
She stares at the goblin for a little bit.
"Looks like it's waking up. Hm."

She 'crouches,' head level with the goblin's, and smiles pleasantly as it stirs.
"Hello! My name is Charybdis Bluescales. Sorry about shooting you before! Do you speak the common tongue? What's going on with the big hole?"

No roll yet, but gearing up for an intimidate.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

The mermaid's eyes track briefly left and right as her party members fumble around, and she keeps smiling, and leans in to whisper in the goblin's ear.
"Eheh. Aren't they just adorable kittens. So cute. That one is even literally a kitten, mmm?"

She pulls back, looking into the goblin's eyes. Her pupils are thin slits, and the normal whites are clouded red with blood, little threads of it spreading in from the sides, tinting the eyes a deep crimson. She leans in, smile turning into a grin, her mouth unfolding to reveal rows and rows of needle-sharp teeth.
She whispers quietly into its ear, barely audible even to the goblin, one arm wrapped around it, pulling tight, claws starting to dig into its shoulder, and her teeth are so, so close to its neck.
"I was watching you, and realized I hadn't thought through what we were going to do with you afterwards. When you're done talking. Or if you don't talk. I was thinking that it would be very unheroic to kill you outright, and we're all trying very hard to be good heroic adventurers here, but likewise we can't just let you loose in town, so I was going to suggest I take you a ways out of town, bound and on my yak, and then set you free there, a few miles out. Catch and release. Like fish. By then we'll have killed all the other goblins down there, exterminated your tribe, so you'd want to go somewhere else instead of coming back. Right? Right. So I was going to propose that, since I was the one who wanted to catch you, so I'd do the release too. I think they'd buy it. Like I said, they're kittens.
"But I'm telling you now, I've been faintly, gnawingly hungry, for a very long time, and I haven't had a chance to enjoy a meal in a while. So if I were to take all that time to haul you away, I'd want to get something out of it, especially if you'd wasted my time and made me look so stupid by not answering any questions, when I'm the one who wanted to catch you. So, if that were to happen, and I were to find myself in that situation, well... well, let me tell you two things, I'm not sure if you know or not. First, meat tastes just wonderful when it's seasoned by pain and panic. And, second, I am very good at not bleeding things out too quickly. I learned from the best, and have years and years of experience, and blood clots much quicker in air, so I'm sure I'd do even better up here. I'm sure we could have fun for a very long time."

She pulls back, eyes normal, and mouth returned to that faint smile, showing only a hint of white.
"So. Questions. Why the hole?"

Intimidate 22.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary shrugs.
"It probably doesn't know. Slaves are not meant to understand the twisty plots of their masters."
She leans back a little, peering at the goblin.
"The tunnel goes under the river, hmm? From where? Where is the base?"

She glances over at the others.
"I say we sabotage it. Dig up into the river, flood the tunnel, make it useless. The water will erode the walls and collapse parts of it... hmm. It might collapse the buildings it's under, though. Hmm hmm hmm."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Hmm. I think that's all we're getting out of it. I still think we should sabotage the tunnel, we probably can't exterminate all the hobs and gobs singlehandedly. Lucky for you all, I can stay down there and swim around when it floods, monitor it."
She ponders a little bit.
"Although if these were the strongest, then the rest should be... somewhat easy?"

Another pause, and a nod.
"So I was thinking for this goblin, what to do now... we can't release it nearby, and... releasing it elsewhere still makes it a country goblin, a menace. So I was thinking, maybe we can keep it around as a mercenary, and convert it into an adventurer. Being an adventurer supersedes other considerations, so if we make it an adventurer, then we can set it free and it won't be a menace, but instead a hero. Which I assume must be a heroic deed."
This shouldn't seem sensible to anyone.
"Alternatively, we can bring it to the city, to Stoneburg, and release it there. Then it will be a city goblin, and not a menace. If it stays. If it leaves..."
She peers into its eyes, grinning slightly.
"...or if it runs beforehand, it knows what would happen."

e: vv saving up for a masterwork composite +2 longbow for 600 gp.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 8, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Ha ha, we sure are. Nice standard quest for new adventurers."

Sounds good. Should be able to purchase my bow with that, which would be excellent.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Maybe we shouldn't have sold that fire scroll? Does someone have lamp oil? Fire is really bad. We should try to light that thing on fire. Or trick the goblin into doing it."
Cary's not really sure why she thinks the shaman could do this.

"If you all rushed under the scaffolding quickly, they'd bunch up and catch on fire easier. And you could do that pole chopping thing to seal the deal."
This is a really bad strategy for obvious reasons.
"Maybe if you rush past them before they can react, gather around the scaffolding, and I start out shooting the shaman. Then their attention will be split by you all behind them, suddenly, and me, and they'll spread out and get confused, and also it'll be easier to kill the shaman quickly, if I don't manage it myself."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Maybe have Agni run in first, use that fire burst thing, and have you two follow quick after? Agni in the midfield, you two in the back, me here, nicely divide their attention, and the fire should soften them up."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Agh! That wasn't the plan!"
Two arrows thwip out towards the shaman, both embedding neatly.

Cary glances down at her new bow, mumbling something appreciative in merfolk or whatever.

Rapid shot shaman, 2 at +4 for 1d8+2, 15 for 4 and 17 for 10.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary's jaw drops.
"Blessed Y'chak beyond... that was amazing!"

Grinning, Cary lets loose another pair of thwips, knocking the goblin off the platform and plinking ineffectually off the mole's smoking hide.

Rapid shot, 17 for 5 on shaman and 9 on mole.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Aaahh! loving moles!"

Cary tries to shoot the stupid thing, but the positioning is super awkward and the shots go wide.

Rapid shot (eat the AoO), 12 miss, spend 1 stamina to negate the -2 on the second, 9 still a miss loving moles.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

A little rattled by the near miss with the mole, Cary scans the room, seeing it almost totally cleared. Or... not quite. She leans to the side, spotting a nearby gobbo, and gives it a good arrow, then focuses on the ones farther off.
That one just clatters ineffectually. Ah well.

Underling 13 has cover (just barely) for +4 AC, 18 for 9, then underling 15 (also cover), 9 miss.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Wow, these goblins are jerks. Also, stupid. Should be running.
"Hey so is the tunnel going to collapse if that scaffolding goes down? Are we under the river? What if there's like an important person's house above us?"

She fires a quick shot through the now flaming scaffolding, skewering the stupid goblin, and sort of half-heartedly lets another clatter near the far cave.

Perception 21, attack goblin 15 with 18 for 11, attack goblin 17 with 10 for 9 (miss if it has cover, which I believe it does).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Uh, guys, there's a big guy coming. Like maybe it's one of those hobgoblins? Or a bear. We need to take down the scaffolding. Also you all need to get ready to run. Or swim. Lots of water."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary hums quietly to herself, strapping and securing her bow and straightening out and retying the kind of weird dress coat thing she wears, and awaits the flood.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Swim 31.

Cary smoothly flows into the torrent of water, one eye on the big hulking thing, but then notices pretty much everyone get knocked around and start drowning. Well, that's a bummer.
Feeling a little disappointed she won't get to take care of all these goblins, she goes for the party members who've stopped moving. Generally a bad sign. Like kitty! Oh no!

Do I need more swim checks to drag people up to the riverbank?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Stragen looks like he's doing good. Halflings are good at swimming, right? Kitty and Mr. Fire don't like water, either of them, and they need help. This is a good plan.

Swim 29. Worried about Fleabag and Agni, Stragen should still be good with 12 hp, right? ...right?

A very good plan. A soppy wet cat and a thing that is literally on fire are hard enough to grab by themselves.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 29, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"I think that worked out pretty well, all things considered. Glenda, could you patch them up? They got pretty banged around by the goblins that we just saved everybody from. And you!"
She wriggles over to her yak, cooing at it and stroking around its head, and murmuring to it in her weirdass language.
"How've you been? Who's a good yak? Who's a good yak!? Shezhe y'nara, nye bve yak hadha... ohzhozhohh... bve bve bve..."

She glances over.
"So anyway, I was going to go back down and collect any more, uh, salvage the goblins might've had on them. We've got some floaters but there should be a bunch of stuff still stuck under the caves. Also see how far back the tunnels go, see if there's any caches or tools or whatever back there. Alright?"

Assuming no objections, she murmurs one last "bve yak" and wriggles back over to the hole to go loot some corpses.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Woo hoo! Yay! Yay for unforgettable adventuring company!!"
Cary slithers over near Fleabag, whispering.
"What is unforgettable adventuring company?"

Blink.

"Anyway, look at all this gold and stuff! I could eat a whole steak dinner every single night for years and years with just a quarter share! This is the best day ever!"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary leans in, nodding seriously, if puzzledly.
"...they make clothes out of pine boughs too? I thought it was just little shacks. We do that with seaweeds, they're good for all sorts of things. Although, pines have needles. Not very comfortable I think."

Blink.
"So we need to get proactive on these goblins, right? Does this all count as a declaration of war, so we can kill the goblins freely now? I'm all for follow-up. Maybe after a rest, got a massive nasty headache."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary blinks, a little confused, then grins and starts yelling.
"Yes! We are the mighty scourge of the goblin people! We shall slaughter indiscriminately and overwhelmingly, strike their hovels from the map, and ensure prosperity for the gentle citizenry and proper terror unending for all villains and vermin, that they may never again even think to attack! All threats shall be wiped clean, in blade and arrow and fire, and all shall know, from the lowliest kobold to the most vicious gnolls, that Pawford is never, I repeat never, to be encroached upon again! This threat shall be ELMINATED!!! Aahhahahahahahahahhhh!!"

She really does have a breathtaking number of sharp teeth.

Intimidate 19.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Hmm? Oh, it's basically a letter of marque. States grant them to crews, who go out and behave as professional pirates in return for having safe haven in that nation, attacking and plundering the state's enemies' merchant shipping. It makes sense, I mean we're basically acting as bandits, or land pirates, only there's a state, or I guess town in this case, willing to suspend prosecution for our crimes and grant safe haven. I'm surprised they didn't have something more specific to adventurers, or I suppose we aren't that common around these parts."
She grins, hunching a little. Conspiratorially.
"The way people talk some time, I thought the countryside would just be infested with adventurers. Seems we must be at least a little rare, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Fish are stupid. Also there would only be a small number of inoffensive freshwater weak fish, and the goblins would've had only one night to establish an alliance. I do not believe we have anything to fear."
Cary drags herself up onto the shore, then nods towards the goblins.
"Sneak sneak?"

• Locked thread