Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Fleabag

"Don't figure it is, Scales," Fleabag said. "Earthquakes is more of an everywhere sort of shaking, an' this is scarperin' that way." He gestures towards the street. "Earthquakes don't scarper, I'm pretty sure. Somethin's diggin' down there, though I ain't so wise on what that somethin' is. Some sort've big mole?" Fleabag wasn't quite sure how big moles got. He thought they were more around rat size, but being something of a city boy, he'd never seen one in the up close before. Perhaps they were bigger than he'd suspected. "Might not be you'll want to go that way, Scales, least until we get a better map of the situation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag's pupils widen into circles. His tail twitched. "That has all the looks of a mystery. Might could be a blessin' in it. Hey, Flames, you're wordy. See if anyone might have interest in payin' us like such as our labor is worth." He turns to the halfling. "Here, Jimmy, give me a hand with Scales so we can get our looks on the situation."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag

"Cha, all right. But if this trip don't glitter, I'm puttin' the stink on you, Flames." Fleabag said. "You lot hang back a tick. I'm gonna go mince it." He dropped into a crouch, and padded silently forward towards the hole, keeping his eyes wide and his ears on a swivel.

Excellent Stealth (26), So Perceptive (25)!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag works his way back out of the hole and to the others. In a low voice he says, "There's at least two really big moles down there, which is not any sort of a coincidence because I am definitely smart enough to've known they was down there. Unfortunately, I don't figure on how we're like to sneak up on 'em as a group, what with us not havin' the full two-to-one leg-to-person ratio what we would normally want for such venturin'. No offense, Scales. Anyhow, toughsome bit is gonna be t'get the moles to fight us without them droppin' by under the dirt where as we can't reach 'em. Anyone got a map on how to go?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag

Fleabag nods. "Right, then, here's how I figure we do. I go in firstlike, usin' my sneaksome charms t'try an' get closer. Next it'll be Scales and Muscles, an' finally you, Flames. Second the boo goes up, forget sneakin' an' rush in, on account that I'm probably bein' torn t'pieces by moles. Scales, you just get close enough you get a good bead on 'em with that thrower of yours. Flames, y'know how close y'need to get to start singin'. Muscles an' I will have a flank goin' soon's we can. Idealsome, we get in there afore they know what's hit 'em, but in the case they catch wise early or an errant rockslide buggers the fun, we rush in an' see what the dealer drops. Any ruminations you want to add, or shall I proceed?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Like everyone on the internet, Invisible Castle likes cats.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag slashes at the first giant mole with his rapier, likely missing utterly. Undaunted, he moves past and then behind the mole, ready to flank it with Stragen. While they're still distracted, he attacks again, once with his rapier, once with his short sword. His attacks are much less haphazard, though not spectacular, as his blades dig into the beast.

Attacking Mole 1 in the surprise round as a standard action, getting a 10 on the attack. Moving from there to the space on the other side of Mole 1; as the moles are flat footed, they should be unable to take attacks of opportunity. Making two attacks using TWF with sneak-attack, as they are still flat-footed, with the rapier at 20 (natural 18, but only a 13 to confirm) and the short sword at 15. Damage on the first sneak attack would be 3, in the off-chance it hits, damage on the rapier attack is 11 (or 6 if sneak attack doesn't apply) and the short sword hits for 9 (or 6 again if no sneak attack).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag moves with great alacrity, stepping past Stragen to attack Goblin 1 with his rapier, missing utterly.

Moving thirty feet past the pit and up to Goblin 1, getting a natural one. C'mon, Invisible Castle, I thought you liked me!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag attempts to strike at the goblin in front of him, missing both attacks. "Things is startin' to look unfriendly-wise, gents. It might be that discretion is the better part of valorsome actions." With a bit of duck and weave, he disengages from the goblin, moving back besides Agni. "C'mon, Muscles. Time t'drop by."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"No, drop by means run away, you blinkered..." Fleabag bites off the rest of the insult and rushes forward to protect the foolhardy mage. He effortlessly and swinging his rapier at the goblin next to Agni, missing once again.

Charging lesser goblin 6. Sprinter gives me an extra ten feet of movement if it's necessary. 20 on the acrobatics check to clear the pit. Attacking for 9. My AC is 16 and I have five hit points left. The dice want us to die.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag

With Stragen in position, he uses the distraction provided by the halfling to attack with both weapons. While the rapier, aided by Stragen's timely distraction, slices the goblin terribly, the short sword skewers it.. He tips the body off his sword and onto the ground and turns his attention toward the last of the goblins.

My roll history is slightly messed up. I misread the post initially and thought goblin 6 had used a ranged attack, granting an attack of opportunity. Was a good hit, too. Thankfully unnecessary, as both sneak attacks from flank hit, with the rapier at 20 and the short sword at 16. Rapier did 12 damage (2 from the rapier and sneak attack, 10 from Stragen's awesome maneuver), while the short sword did 19 (9 from the short sword and sneak attack, 10 from the maneuver) for a total of 31 damage. Goblin is dead, son.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"I'm cozy with Scales on this one," Fleabag says, sniffing the air. "He's got jimmies, even if they're presidin' down a ways, an' they're like to come check on this lot soon. Best we patch up, tickle some tales out of the greenie, an' get a map on the goin's-on in goblin town." He picks up the dagger and slips it through his belt. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to have something throwable on his person. He grabbed the goblin under the arms and hefted it up. "Muscles, you help Scales back up. Flames, grab the blessings an' lets go."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"C'mon, don't you wanna be helpful, greenie?" Fleabag says, diplomatic as a fart i church.

Got a six on my diplomacy roll. Gonna guess that probably didn't help much.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"'Ow many are down there, gobs an' hobs?" Fleabag asks. "Might be they come boilin' out when we douse 'em. I'm likin' your map, though, Scales. Though, it can't be too many, or why the tunnel, you catch? Might be they know they've been tipped, they call it off, come up with a new plan later. No blessings in a failed ambush."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Eh. I know some city greenies as might could use a new Jimmy," Fleabag said, looking at the goblin dubiously. He had to wonder how cooperative the goblin would be long-term, given the hiding they gave to his kin. Still, no sense borrowing trouble. It'd find its way to them soon enough. "Let's try collapsin' this tunnel candlesome. Don't know such kind of clock we're lookin' to on this."

Agreeing on Stragen's suggestion. Picking up a masterwork short sword and masterwork chain armor.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"That's an awful lot of greenies there, Scales," Fleabag whispers. "Goin' at it piece of on seems low-percentage t'me. Don't know we can sneak through 'em. Wish we could get control o them moley-rats, though. They could dig straight up t'the blue." He shrugged. "I ain't got any better maps, though, so we can try if you think its best. I figure me or Stragen ought t'get that blur potion, though, since we'll be right up in it."

Also, getting 6 out of my allotted daily 11 HP restored from Glenda. Not real eager to go in with 5 HP left.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"We do that, I say we give him th' blur potion. Keep him alive while he does the flash." Fleabag didn't like it much. It still seemed like a long shot. But he still didn't have a better plan to throw out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag rolls his eyes at Stragen's battle cry, but follows after. There's no room at the moment for a good flank, so he'll just have to trust in his weapons. He moves past Stragen, avoiding any stray strikes from the mole-mounted marauder, and then strikes at the mole-rider. His attack lands. It comes close to the rider's jugular, but just misses, still digging into the flesh of the rider's collarbone.

Acrobatics check at 17 to make it through the threatened square. Two attacks with rapier and shortsword to hit the mole rider, with a 20 and 17. Rapier attack is a natural 18, which is in the critical range, but the critical confirmation is completely off. Total Damage: 7. I am an idiot. I can't make a full attack after moving. It's one attack from the rapier, for 3 damage.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 17, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Beg yer pardon," Fleabag says, moving past one of the goblins to skirt around the scofflaw on his soricomorph steed. Once there, he makes another attack with his rapier, but doesn't quite hit.

Acrobatics check at 24 to move through Goblin underling 6's space (and avoid all other attacks of opportunity) before making an attack with the rapier at 14, just two under the AC.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag took two swings at the remaining adjacent goblin, missing both.

Swing and a miss, swing and a miss.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Starting to grow very annoyed at goblins that keep attacking him, Fleabag takes better aim. He nicks the nearby goblin with his rapier before finishing it off with his short sword.

Two attacks with rapier and short sword for 14 and 18 respectively. 5 damage from the rapier and 1 damage from the short sword.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag moves up to the only goblin left near the scaffolding. He neatly dispatched it, keeping an eye on the only remaining other goblin.

His eyes dart around as he answers Cary's questions. "If it starts to shake, we drop by. If it starts t'rain indoors, we drop by really, really quicksome. If it's somebody's house, we blame the goblins."

Attacking goblin 16 with a 24, which is in crit range. Crit confirmed! 9 damage to the goblin gut. Finally, a perception check, getting a measly 13.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
All enemies in reach dead, Fleabag holds his ground.

Not much Fleabag can do at the moment.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Gah, I already 'ad a bath this year! Droppin' by, jimmies!" Fleabag scarpered away so fast he dropped to all fours, trying to jump from high point to high point and stay away from the water.

14 acrobatics result to try to scramble around the walls, staying as high as possible. Also, for scarpering purposes Fleabag's speed is 40 feet.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 27, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag tries to swim, but unfortunately, cats just aren't made for it.

Swim result of 12. With 4 hp left, he's down and out on anything other than a 1 on the damage die.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag coughs out a bit of water and whispers to Cary, "That's us, Scales. We'll come up with a real banner later." He stands up, stretches a bit. "Right. Well, now, we got us dealt with a greenie tangle, but that only eases things in the specifics. In the general, I'd expect more follow-up. We fuzzled their map, but I don't know as we got their cartographer, if you catch. He's like to come trottin' up with some deliverymen to do some armwork on this yon sticks, all angrysome." He turns to Stragen. "Muscles, we got us a fine lot of blessin's, but I reckon this bird's not plucked as yet. Might be the covies could use some further armwork from the likes of us. Figure as you can draw 'em a map on them fillin' our smiles in exchange for keepin' 'em out of a long pine suit?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Dunno. Could be, like, land pirates, mebbe? Not really my shingle, you catch? Might could Scales knows more about it, though it seems she'd be more deeplike than the piratical sorts usually sail."

He looks around just a touch nervously. Normally, this is the point where the boo goes up and everyone drops by, scrabbling what they can. However, it looks like people are actually glad to see them. It seemed weird. Unnatural. Yet... oddly pleasant. Anyway, it beat having his cobbles up before a cackler, ready to have him dance on smoke.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Right, that's my shingle. You lot follow my lead an' don't get yerselves caught." He moves quietly through the water, a task he does not much enjoy. Oh, sure, water was fine for drinking, if you didn't have ale or brandy, but who wanted to be all surrounded by it? It was so cold and damp and watery. Eurgh. Still, he managed to move through without too much noise.

Got a 25 on the stealth check, which will hopefully be enough to evade the goblins.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Gonna hide. Try an' draw 'em past me, an' I'll spring on 'em soon as they pass." Fleabag moves forward and hides behind one of the nearby rocks. Perhaps because he's excited by the prospect of combat, he's not quite as quiet as he was a moment ago. Still, he positions himself, hoping it's good enough.

14 on the stealth check, moving four squares east and one square north, just behind the rock. Let's hope they're not paying too much attention.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag continues waiting behind the rock for the hobgoblins to come a bit closer.

Still hiding

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag will... continue hiding behind the rock. Because the thing about sneak attacks is that they work best when sneaking. Running out and yelling and charging just kind of defeats the purpose. But once the mole and worker get a little closer...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Watching Stragen savagely free up the hobbo from such luxuries as innards, Fleabag takes advantage of the distraction of the halfling fighter to move next to the mole and strike it while it's distracted. Hopefully distracted. Once close enough, he slashes out with his wakizashi, working out where its vitals are through t

Another 14 to sneak up on the mole. A 16 for the attack, with 3 or 9 damage, depending on whether or not Fleabag took it by surprise.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag frowns. "Whoa, now. I don't mind that the top hats catch ketch, an' the warrior types too. They were fixin' to play wolf on the village, they can pay their debts. But there'll be a muck of their squires runnin' around too. That's a pretty dark path to run, you start killin' everyone. Fit enough in pine clothes they don't try again, but we don't kill no one too young t'take up an arm."

He looked back at the tunnel to the explosions. "Could be that's useful. Careful, though. We don't wanna get hoisted on no petards, you catch?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dammit, Stragen, stop one-shotting them before I get a chance to flank!

Fleabag moves forward, wishing there was room to sneak around. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of cover in the tent. It's also a bit bright with those braziers. However, that gives him an idea. They've got a fire bishop with the enterprise, why not give him something to work with?

However, there's one hobbo sitting mince on the brazier. Fleabag moves forward and slashes at the footman already provided with one superfluous orifice and given a budget suntan and does some arm work.

Just barely hitting the flat-footed AC at 12. Not going to bother rolling damage, since the lowest I could possibly have gotten was 4. Planning skulduggery with the brazier next turn. Also, somehow I did not save the changes for Fleabag's bird-based makeover, so I will take care of that tomorrow.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag falls to the floor after the crossbow bolt hits, all incendiary plans forgotten.

Down at -4.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I thought that was an awfully piddly amount of damage to take Stragen to -2, but couldn't remember if he took any damage previously. Though, I really do hope we have some healing potions, because I don't think I'll stand long as a frontliner with my piddly HP.

Fleabag decides that before he gets started on his brilliant plan, it would be a very good idea to not let his new friend die a horrible bleeding death on the ground. That's just the kind of professional courtesy you have to display if you want to get far in the business. "Don't worry, I gotcha, Muscles." He takes a step over to the nearest henchhob and lets loose a flurry of attacks, hitting with both blades, but not quite getting his teeth on the blighter.

Five-foot-step up and to the right to be adjacent to Footsoldier 4. 19 and 17 on the wakizashi and short sword respectively, missing with a 12 with the bite. 5 and 3 damage for a total of 8. I'm not going to be able to take these guys out very effectively without Stragen to provide flanking, so this would be a very good time for Cary and Agni to save Fleabag's bacon..

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag, much like Cary, was getting tired of the hobbos wooping, so he decided it was time to make light work of the two. He grabbed the brazier and swung it around in the general direction of the nearest of the two boss-type hobbos, flinging embers and coals at him.

Not sure what to roll here. Just generally trying to throw an arc of burning embers at Hobgoblin Sergeant 2 (and Footsoldier 6 if there's enough of an arc to get more than one at a time).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag lets loose another storm of attacks, but only the bite ends up landing, dealing negligible damage.

15, 8, and 22 on attacks. 3 damage from the bite. Hang in there, Stragen. I have healing potions if I can actually get to you.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fur, sadly, is highly flammable, and very soon Fleabag is doing a good impression of a bonfire. This does not have a positive effect on his normally sunny disposition. With a loud, piercing yowl, he steps from the fire, flames licking up and down his arms, and opens the hobgoblin's guts with the wakizashi, widening the wound with the shortsword.

Reflex save of 10, taking 6 damage, which brings me down to 7 health. He takes a five-foot-step and then unleashes a full attack on the hobgoblin, hitting him with both swordsfor three damage each

JackMann fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag tips a healing potion into Stragen's throat. "Got 'em off their dance, eh? Best we give 'em the fool's 'fore they can drop by, you catch?"

• Locked thread