Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Ran Escape from Dino Island tonight.

One shot PbtA about arriving at an island full of dinosaurs and then getting off of it before everyone dies.

I think it does a great job of narrative control to keep a PbtA to a one shot. It sets up two obstacles, one picked by the GM, one by the players, for the game. When one obstacle is solved, the whole situation escalates (for us, the volcano on the island erupted) and all players advance by picking one of two moves. No XP is tracked. And when both obstacles are solved, you move to the finale -- lots of loving dinosaurs swarming the Heroes

The standard PbtA moves are In Peril moves, but when you aren't In Peril, your "look around and get information" kind of moves are Safety Moves that have to be done with at least one other player and you have to tell a story as you trigger those. Each playset has their own set of stories to tell. The Hunter might tell a story of their greatest catch. The Doctor might tell a story of someone pulling miraculously through. And then when the Finale is done, each character's overall outcome is influenced by the number of stories told.

That said, there was much more "this is what is ahead of you" from the GM (me) than there was "this is what is ahead of me" from the players, if that makes sense. Could still be tighter as this is intended for one play through, but everyone had fun running from dinosaurs.

A map from our game. The prominent feature is a monorail transporting tourists around the park, where rich kids control the dinos via VR to rack up high scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU