Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

tweekinator posted:

Does anyone know if there's a swashbuckling/pirates Apocalypse hack? I'm interested in getting my group to try the system, but haven't seen any that are pirate-based.

You could always try Vincent Baker's earlier pirate RPG, Poison'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Note that Cartel isn't the final game but an "ashcan" edition. That said, I suspect that's not the primary thing most people will be buying this bundle for.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The basic moves are supposed to define what's important to a PBTA game, no? So if there isn't a move, you don't roll. Even if it feels like you should. The fiction triggers the moves, not the other way around, so no move, no trigger.

Or at least that'd be my take.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Is there still no PDF options?

There is as of a day or two ago.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't really have direct advice, but if you're not sure that it will fit in the PBTA framework...maybe examine if it's really the right basis for this hack? Not everything is going to gel well with PBTA.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

On the one hand, I really, really like this concept. On the other hand, I kind of don't want to give Magpie Games my money after that Zak S debacle.
On the one hand, it's not like the whole company is responsible for the actions of the idiot at the top. On the other hand, what is this if not a clear example of voting with my wallet, the closest thing to a moral choice you can make in front of awful people selling things?

It's Marissa Kelly's baby, if that makes any difference. I don't know what happened with Magpie and Zak S, but if it was one or two particular people there she might not have been on board with that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Most of the characters in Monster of the Week are definitely -not- ordinary people who discover some secret menace and band together to do something about it. They're secret government operatives, professional monster hunters with an extensive arsenal, magical warriors out of time, and so on. I think it's a very different flavor of monster fighting.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean okay I beat up a cop and smashed that bitch's face into her own vanity mirror but Jesus, you can put someone in a locker without carving them up first

Wait, since when?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The latest Bundle of Holding is a terrific spread of PBTA games: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ApocEngine2

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The criticism of Dungeon World I'd seen before around these parts and which I think is a good summation of its issues is that PBTA works best when you're designing it to emulate a very specific genre of story, whereas Dungeon World is just trying to emulate D&D, which is anything but specific. Also, it clearly works to at least some degree for trying to get people weaned off D&D and I'd certainly rather play it than D&D, but I feel like it's close enough to D&D that people instinctively try to play it the same way, which doesn't work.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JackMann posted:

Depends on which version of D&D. That's more true of 3.5/Pathfinder, for example, but older versions of D&D really didn't have any way of making cool characters. You had your class, but that was basically it as far as interesting choices in character creation.

I've noticed that stories in older D&D tend to be about interesting interactions between rules and physics. Things like interesting uses for immovable rods and portable holes, the way spells would bounce on walls, and fun uses for monsters and traps.

I'm not sure how to translate that into games like PbtA, though. They exist in that liminal space between rules-as-physics and GM bullshitting that exists when you have a lot of edge cases that aren't strictly defined.

The answer may be "you don't". PBTA is cool and it's tempting to try and push all the other gaming you'd like to do into its format, but it isn't a catchall. Probably for the old school D&D format it'd be easier to just either use an existing system designed for that (Torchbearer, say) or tweak one if nothing quite fits the feel you're going for.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to carefully study your opponent’s attacks, synthesize that information into a pattern you can exploit, and dodge out of the way of the next attack is at least three distinct actions. That’s too much at once - I’d interpret this as trying to exercise your perceptive abilities under pressure and call for +Wisdom. Then, depending on that, you might be able to understand what happens and get a chance at moving out of the way.

tl;dr: That action’s too big. I’d break it up.

That kind of granularity is more of a D&Dism than a PBTA thing. Apocalypse World tends to promote drilling down as much as is narratively interesting and no more.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ilor posted:

Adam Koebel and crew did one on Roll20 that's pretty good.

Two, actually. One with the 1st edition and the brief participation of Austin Walker, one with the 2nd edition.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Summoned isn't a fan playbook, it's one of the extra playbooks provided by the creator, like Apocalypse World's Limited Edition playbooks. I think it's pretty neat. That said, if that player wants to be a monster, the Monstrous (in the core) is also worth a look and might actually be better suited depending.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

ModeWondershot posted:

Hmm...on a first read I like the granularity of some mechanics and the mission structure...what I like less is the fact that so much of it ties into its setting and particular aesthetics, since my game group and myself were not so keen on a system that focused on one setting. While I'm sure it could be hacked into a different setting I'd be more after a play system that doesn't have strong thematic connections to an existing genre or era (beyond focusing on flight combat).

I'll keep writing and maybe get into the game making thread a bit.

Thanks very much for the advice, all.

IMO you don't want PBTA, then. You can make a PBTA game where the setting itself is less explicit (indeed, Apocalypse World is one), but you still want to be going for a very explicit theme and mood.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There was a time when Xavier's was just the X-Men as students, I think, but more recently it's been much more populous. Or anyway, it was before Marvel decided to wipe out most of the mutants with House of M. Not sure how they're doing at the moment.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Zikan posted:

so other then Dungeon World (which I understand has issues when you get really rolling with it), what are great fantasy PbtA hacks? I am going to be running a game for 5 friends, four of which will be new to p&p gaming in general and one who is a 3.5 d&d veteran but interested in more narrative systems.

You might also check out one of the more fantasy inclined hacks of Legacy (e.g. Free from the Yoke, perhaps Rhapsody of Blood), although they definitely have more specific flavor than Dungeon World's "D&D but, yanno, storygame-y). Maybe something like The Sword, The Crown, and the Unspeakable Power, or the Apocalypse World fantasy hack Vincent did (Fallen Empires, maybe?) albeit that was never fully fleshed out to my knowledge and I don't know for sure how far SCUP got. Also, it ended up pretty far afield from PBTA-as-such, but Blades in the Dark is great in some similar ways, has PBTA roots, and a couple of other fantasy hacks either finished or in progress if your players don't want to run a gang of criminals or vigilantes (or cops - I think the Bluecoats hack is done).

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of specifically fantasy PBTA hacks, I suspect because Dungeon World got so popular that if people want to write fantasy PBTA content they just write for or hack Dungeon World most of the time.

(And yes, Fellowship is great. Just wanted to present a few other alternatives.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

megane posted:

Not to mention that there's a sizeable gulf between watching a movie where some characters have sex, versus roleplaying it out, in character, in public, with semi-strangers.

If it's worked out for you in the past, great, more power to you. But it's definitely outside my comfort zone.

For what it's worth, there's absolutely no requirement to actually roleplay the sex, and I think you'd get a lot more people being weirded out if that were part of it. It's relevant that, in the story, these characters hooked up. That's all the detail that needs to be provided.

If you're not okay with that either, no shame in that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Oh jeez, is that still not done?? I’ll get on it ASAP.

Is there a point at which these should all have been distributed? because I still haven't gotten any.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

I’m gonna try and fix it today. PledgeManager is such garbage compared to BackerKit - wish Modiphius hadn’t convinced me to use it for Legacy 2e. Rest assured I’ll get you your PDFs as soon as I can!

Definitely fixed for me, at least. Downloading as we speak. :)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

I've always found it weird that Armour is a thing in PbtA, since it directly contradicts the principle of "always fail forward". When I was running Dungeon World I started off giving every monster 1-2 Armour like they have in the book, but later I started removing it and just giving them a couple extra hit points instead. It cut down on bookkeeping and meant that a move never resolved as "nothing happens, I guess".

Well, Apocalypse World NPCs don't generally have armor (or even the ability to survive the amount of harm PCs can), and Apocalypse World has the harm move, where even if you suffer a modified 0 harm you still roll +harm and might very well take some sort of consequence even if you don't have lasting damage. Other games don't necessarily think through every change they make to that formula or everything they decide to inherit.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I'm always confused by how so many people arguing about sex moves seem to think AW is the first game that brought sex to the table. Even if you didn't play at one of those tables where the adventurers blowing all their money on prostitutes was considered to be a cute punchline and where female PCs were likely to be sexually threatened or harassed, a lot of content for traditional RPGs is already sexual. Half the pregenerated D&D modules I've read have had a succubus (I swear to God that "your module must contain a succubus disguising herself as a helpless female prisoner who seduces her 'rescuers'" was a submission requirement for Dungeon), along with a dizzying number of female monsters whose gimmick was "seduces dudes to murder them and/or bear a monster baby," and of course the connection between male monstrous humanoids and sexual violence is well-trodden and gross. It's hard not to feel like what people are really objecting to with the sex moves in AW is the concept of sex as a thing PCs seek out (instead of having inflicted upon them) and with non-trivial emotional consequences (not just a roll on the Brothel Table).

Have you considered that some might be reacting poorly to AW's sex moves precisely because of how those previous games handled sex? If you're used to sex in RPGs being gross and/or rapey, it's not that hard to see sex moves in AW and assume it's more immature skeevy bullshit. Which, for the record, I do not.

Edit: Well, like minds, I guess.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I believe the intent of Monster of the Week is that the monster be incredibly dangerous to actually fight until you've investigated some and figured out weaknesses and like, precautions you can take and that kind of thing. To me this says most of the time it shouldn't accomplish very much to just shoot at it. And even if you can kill it if you shoot it with enough bullets, maybe it's fast enough to dodge unless you're point blank or it can close the distance and maul you, or it'll peace out and then drop on you from ambush, or there's lots of them and you don't have enough bullets, or...

And yes, what megane says - harm as established can be nothing in either direction, and it can be that there's really no reason to roll at all. Really consider the fictional triggers for moves, and in particular try not to go "I feel like there needs to be a roll for this, what move seems closest?" The moves have explicit triggers and if they aren't triggered, then really, a roll is not demanded. I know it will feel weird coming from games like D&D.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't think it's mandatory or even necessarily desirable for most moves to have miss text in a PBTA game. The default for missing a move roll is that the MC makes a hard move. If you specify, that limits the scope of what they can do in a way that might not suit the fiction. Sometimes you want that limited scope, but I wouldn't expect it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Is there any podcasts that have actual play sessions of some powered by the apocalypse games? I was trying to run a one shot of spirit of 77 to some newbies because i thought the rules light system would make it easier to play and run but it means everyone has to talk more and christ almighty it's like pulling teeth to get anything done

RPPR has done some PBTA episodes, and the second season of The Adventure Zone was Monster of the Week. I don't know that either pod entirely groks PBTA but it's more grist for the mill.

Also there are some Twitch/Youtube streamers doing it, including some IMO very good ones on Roll20's official channel (with the caveat that they are run by Adam Koebel, who I know some folks would prefer not to have in their eyeballs/ears anymore.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
That's the thing. I don't think you're probably going to find a better PBTA game for generic fantasy than Dungeon World, because the reason Dungeon World isn't a particularly good PBTA game is that it's generic fantasy. Stonetop looks great but is a specific type of fantasy. Same with Fellowship, although aiming it at the Horizon is closer to what's being asked, I expect.

That said, there's a supplement (by the same people who are publishing Stonetop) for Dungeon World called Perilous Wilds that's probably pretty well suited for hex crawl type stuff. And it's not like Dungeon World is terrible, it's just not great.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't think it's probably right for this particular context but just wanted to say Vincent and Meguey Baker have a fairy game...
https://lumpley.games/under-hollow-hills-about-the-game/

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tulip posted:

Also there is a long and storied tradition of "losing a match is the desired outcome with chess." There was a whole etiquette of losing matches to show respect or romantic interest in the medieval era, it's very cool.

Have people done PBTA for WOD/COD? I'm thinking about doing it but don't want to duplicate work.

I mean, sort of. It's been previously discussed in this thread that trying to do "this other RPG but with PBTA type rules" is not a great way to do PBTA and doesn't tend to play to its strengths (c.f. Dungeon World). But there are at least a couple of urban fantasy type PBTA games that I can think of that take stabs at the sort of stories you might tell with World of Darkness, even if they're not explicitly trying to do WoD per se. Undying, which is specifically about vampires, and Urban Shadows, which is heavily focused on debts and politics between various factions of modern monsters.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I've heard good things about Galactic 2e

Galactic is pretty explicitly a Star Wars game, I thought.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's got some buzz but it's not at a profile level where it's surprising that it hasn't received third party content this soon after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

t3isukone posted:

Has it been released? Where? It looks interesting and I'd like to buy it but the Evil Hat site says it's still in preorders.

Probably just to Kickstarter backers then? All I know is I have a PDF.