Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i think this game's plot such as it is is bad, but the way it's conveyed covers/makes up for the fact that it goes so hard to be "ambiguous" that none of it really lands

it's weird cause i usually like narratives that allow the viewer to draw their own conclusions but it's so nakedly "The ending is what you make of it" it undercuts its own thematic and narrative resonance

that being said i think it's p clear that eve and hannah were the same person. the alternative is an explanation that's so loving absurd and unbelievable it breaks plausibility in half, plus and more importantly the reveal that you're sarah means that just from a convenience angle if hannah and eve were different people she wouldn't need to dig through old interview files to figure out what hannah did (plus, hannah wouldn't have been her mother which makes the reveal that you're sarah not make much sense otherwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thinking on it more I'm turnings more and more against her story I think, I think the game hides its massive, massive narrative flaws via its presentation and specifically nonlinear conceit

It's cool that a heavily authored narrative ends up almost procedurally generated due solely to how a player experiences it, and the fragmenting of the story helps and the fmv was actually good instead of ironically good but the narrative boils down to being one of two things: either it's so stupid and implausible it's unbelievable or absolutely full of plot holes

The big realization was describing this games plot to a friend and realizing how much of a loving idiot I sounded like, and how even justifying why I liked it came across as defensive

Like I don't think her story is like 999, another one of those almost exclusively narrative games, which was and is a piece of poo poo with a terrible story, since the presentation and production values alone set her story apart (also the gameplay of her story is weirdly fun, it's interesting to see how good my seo has developed over the decade plus I've been googling), but her story is a situation where I wish the good performance and strong aesthetic design and smart framing narrative was applied to a plot that wasn't intentionally obtuse nonsense that seeks to intentionally deceive every step of the way

Like you look at memento, which is an utterly beautiful and uniquely presented film that displays its narrative similarly to how her story does, but if it had just been that it wouldn't have been remembered as fondly as it is. Memento used its conceit and reverse chronological progression to tell a strong story, which her story doesn't do at al

Her story is worth five dollars and worth a playthrough but the narrative failures are so striking and so blatantly in service of keeping "ambiguity" that the whole thing just falls apart if you think about it for more than a second, which is one of the chief signs of a weak story

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

that reminds me- that actress they got to play the main character was surprisingly good but jesus christ her space work was terrible, I haven't seen someone pretend to drink coffee that badly since like...gently caress, i dunno, a budget usa show?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Or even offscreen ADR'd line reads, they could even be the end of question fragments most of the time like "...n what?" and "...happened?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Seashell Salesman posted:

One mystery that I never figured out, but which I'm pretty sure was actually explained somewhere in the tapes: what happened in February that the Police are asking her about?

she was photographed by a traffic camera speeding or something, no, i don't know why that's important

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

really, the biggest issue with her story is that it just falls further and further apart the more you dissect it, i really hate that I'm firmly on the side of eve and hannah are the same person not because it's more emotionally resonant for me, but because the alternative is so fuckin' stupid, so goddamn illogical and implausible, that having MPD, a disorder that psychologists are still not sure even technically exists makes the game more palatable

like, that's my biggest issue with the game, it presents two interpretations and i ended up taking the one that's the least silly, not the one that i like the most

• Locked thread