Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
My reply copied from another thread:

The appunwrapper summary makes the most sense to me. What seems like MPD is the twins playing each other at different times.

Interview 1: June 18, 1994. Eve as Hannah. She has her hair down. There’s no bruise yet, so it makes sense that Eve is playing as Hannah here. Eve introduces herself as Hannah and talks about her husband, Simon Smith, who has gone missing. She hasn’t seen him in days, which is unlike him. She mentions his boss, Eric, and that he works as a glazier for a glass and mirror company. She wants the police to help find Simon, because she’s worried. It’s not like him to disappear.

Interview 2: June 25, 1994. Hannah as Hannah. She has her hair up. She has a bruise on her left cheek. She claims she hit a doorknob (righhhht). It’s more likely that she got it when she killed Simon. But for now, her story is that he went missing and she wants the police to find him.

Interview 3: June 27, 1994. She has her hair down. Eve as Hannah (since the bruise is gone). She talks about the Glasgow trip. It’s possible that Eve is the one who came in for questioning this time since she’s the one who went to Glasgow, not Hannah. That way she could give the details without messing it up. She confuses the side that the bruise was on, as though she were looking at a reflection when she saw it on Hannah’s face. She brushes it off as a fast metabolism, but we’re not supposed to buy that story. She throws up, says it’s morning sickness. She’s pregnant (we learn later that Eve is pregnant).

Interview 4: June 30, 1994. Hannah as Hannah. She has her hair up. She’s wearing short sleeves and there’s no tattoo like we see the next day on Eve. She’s very chatty. She talks about her miscarriage and her parents dying in the same year, 1984. They were poisoned with death cap mushrooms, even though her father was an mushroom expert. It’s heavily implied in the game that Eve killed their parents. Hannah mentions Eve, calls her a childhood friend who she tried to drown at some point. Then scolds herself for talking about Eve.

Interview 5: July 1, 1994. Eve as Hannah. She has her hair down. She starts in a white shirt and spills coffee on herself. She then changes into a short-sleeved t-shirt that reveals a tattoo we’ve never seen before. She claims to have gotten it to express her individuality. It’s of an apple and a snake. She also plays a song on her guitar for the detective. Strange that they would even ask her, but she plays an old ballad called “The Wind and the Rain” about a jealous older sister killing s younger sister. It’s quite a fun, creepy song.

Interview 6: July 2, 1994. Eve as Hannah. She has her hair down. She’s angry here. Perhaps Hannah hasn’t gotten away yet and she’s nervous that they’ll figure out the whole twin thing too soon? She denies being a twin and challenges them to test her fingerprints against Hannah’s. Perhaps she hopes they’re bluffing? She has some harsh words for the detective and storms out like she doesn’t have time for this.

Interview 7: July 3, 1994. She has her hair down. Eve first as Hannah, shortly confessing to be Eve. Eve starts off pretending to be Hannah. But she’s in a good mood, doesn’t seem phased by anything. Her anger from the previous day is gone. It seems Hannah’s gotten away, so she’s very relaxed. Agrees to take a lie detector test and gets all the answers right except for her name (Hannah Smith). It’s possible she did this on purpose because she was eager to tell her story to someone now that Hannah’s gotten away and she feels invincible. So she comes clean, explains the meaning of the tattoo (snake and apple for the forbidden fruit and Garden of Eden). Then she offers to come clean with her whole story, telling about their childhood and how they spent their lives swapping places, pretending to be the same person. There’s no record of Eve’s existence, so she’s basically a ghost. She explains how Hannah married Simon and didn’t want to share him with Eve, but Eve eventually had an affair with him and got pregnant. Simon gave Hannah a mirror for her birthday that was supposed to be one of a kind. But Hannah put on a wig to pretend to be Eve with Simon and he gave her a mirror just like the other one. So Hannah snapped, broke the mirror and slit his throat with the broken glass. Then she called Eve and they hatched this whole plan, where they would change the time on Simon’s watch so it can coincide with a trip to Glasgow. Then Eve would pretend to be Hannah while Hannah got away. And they can’t arrest Eve because she doesn’t legally exist.

Hannah killed Simon and Eve distracted the police while she got away. Since Eve isn’t guilty and there’s no record of her existence, the police can’t arrest her.

MPD is a fun thought experiment but there's too much that throws that off for me.

E: I'll also say I absolutely loved it and think it will make my top 10 for the year. The GB interview was excellent as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
It's super interesting. Definitely feels like the general story arc could be found in Grimm's Fairy Tales.

E: I'll recommend the interview on Giant Bomb with the creator too. It's a great conversation. You can listen to it before you finish the game, but I just waited until I was done.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 28, 2015

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

triplexpac posted:

My wife and I sat together playing this for hours over the weekend, it was a great experience. She's still mad about the ambiguous nature of the game though, she wanted it all tied up in a bow by the end.

I wish I could find a screen cap but a guy on steam asked "When do I finish the game?" and was told "When you're satisfied you know what happened." and he replied "How do I know when I'm satisfied?"

• Locked thread