Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I was going to make a cooking challenge post and have rules about ingredients I was eliminating and do a 30 day challenge thing, but then I got exhausted thinking about it (also the general chat thread was a little militant about labels). So instead I’m just going to challenge myself to post in this thread every once in a while, and I hope you will too!

This thread is about hippie food. These days there are all kinds of dumb labels for eating this way- clean food/ whole food/ plant-based/ etc. but they are all kind of specific in nitpicky ways that I don't always follow, so I figured “hippie food” was silly enough and loose enough to make the thread fun and keep people in the spirit of things instead of arguing about definitions.

So, what is hippie food? Whatever you want it to be, maaaan! No, really, there are no rules, but you recognize hippie food when you see it. Wholesome, usually vegetarian or vegan, lots of vegetables and whole grains, stuff that “tastes healthy”. Granola is the quintessential hippie food. Sometimes this kind of food gets a bad rap, but I think it’s the most delicious of all, honestly.

This thread is for me to post some meals, hopefully inspiring some of you to cook like a hippie too. It's also a place for you to suggest things for me to make with the vegetables I have on hand, and to post your own recipes/ meals!

Here's what I had for lunch:

It's quinoa salad with mint, basil, parsley, chickpeas, cucumbers, peas, broccoli, olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon. I made a big batch for the fridge for lunches for a few days. I am eating this with homemade kimchi and quick-pickled kohlrabi on the side, for some zing (I love zing).

Here is where some of my food comes from:

My pet chickens aren't laying yet, but they should start soon.

This is where they live:

The chickens like eating my vegetable scraps and they also create compost for my garden, so they're great to have around.

Here's my vegetable garden. We just moved into the house last year, so the vegetable garden was just started this spring:

That's my dog, Orbit, guarding the squash from intruders.

I joined a CSA a few miles down the road. Here's this week's CSA:

We've got some tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, kale, spinach, lettuce, sugar snap peas, new potatoes, dill, and kohlrabi.

Last week I got a bit lazy with meal planning, and some of the vegetables are still not used, so I also have broccoli, more shelling peas, carrots, and some beets.

Not sure what I'll make tonight with all of this! Maybe zucchini fritters, potatoes and dill, and a tomato salad?

I'm thinking up a meal plan for this week now, so I'll post when I have it figured out. Does anyone have any ideas? (please note, my oven is broken right now, so I can't bake). Any favorite "hippie" meals that you like to make? Is anyone else part of a CSA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Awesome.

I don't eat anywhere close to this.I do have a tiny little garden in the back (that's torturing me with its little green tomatoes that are never ripening), but my philosophy is much more just 'no empty calories'.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm definitely interested to see this! I think you've hit the nail on the head as far as labeling what to call this too. Super jealous of your dog, garden and chickens too.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Qin-wa only grows natively in central south America and because of the first world or something the bolivians can't afford it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A good thread. Should note that hippie food includes slaughtering animals as well as raising kale. Basically I guess to me "hippie food" means living off the land as much as you can. It's something I try to do myself.

Pretty green where you live - very lucky.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there is this kale salad sold at wholefoods around here that I really love, I've recreated the recipe. you basically take a tablespoon of marmite, maybe the same or more of soy sauce, fish sauce (assuming you're not insane and literally won't eat anything to do with fish), mince a few cloves of garlic, add lemon zest and juice, and a little bit of tahini. mix it all to combine and add sugar to balance it out as needed. destem and tear up your kale, get rubber gloves on (or smell like garlic for days) and physically crush the kale as hard as you can, working the marinade in.

let it soak for an hour or two and toss every 15 minutes. mmmm it's delicious.

I also have been loving salads with grain in them recently. like a cold dressed farro salad with raw or pickled fennel, avacado, tomatoes, and herbs. if you prepare all the different elements well, and know how to properly dress a good salad, stuff like that can be great. it can also be loving horrible and utterly tasteless.

I guess this is true of all food. FUCKIN DEEP MAN

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good OP

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

there is this kale salad sold at wholefoods around here that I really love, I've recreated the recipe. you basically take a tablespoon of marmite, maybe the same or more of soy sauce, fish sauce (assuming you're not insane and literally won't eat anything to do with fish), mince a few cloves of garlic, add lemon zest and juice, and a little bit of tahini. mix it all to combine and add sugar to balance it out as needed. destem and tear up your kale, get rubber gloves on (or smell like garlic for days) and physically crush the kale as hard as you can, working the marinade in.

let it soak for an hour or two and toss every 15 minutes. mmmm it's delicious.

I also have been loving salads with grain in them recently. like a cold dressed farro salad with raw or pickled fennel, avacado, tomatoes, and herbs. if you prepare all the different elements well, and know how to properly dress a good salad, stuff like that can be great. it can also be loving horrible and utterly tasteless.

I guess this is true of all food. FUCKIN DEEP MAN

A tablespoon of Marmite, soy sauce, and then fish sauce on top of that? How salty is that dressing? (I'm not afraid of salt, quite the opposite, just curious)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Rurutia posted:

I do have a tiny little garden in the back (that's torturing me with its little green tomatoes that are never ripening)

My tomatoes are just starting to flower, so I don't even have fruit yet! It rained really hard the other day, and I went outside and the whole garden smelled like tomato leaves, it was glorious.

Sextro posted:

Super jealous of your dog, garden and chickens too.

Aww, thanks. They're all a lot of fun! I'll post more pictures of them soon :)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A good thread. Should note that hippie food includes slaughtering animals as well as raising kale. Basically I guess to me "hippie food" means living off the land as much as you can. It's something I try to do myself.

Pretty green where you live - very lucky.

I think it really depends who you meet and what their personal philosophy is. I do know lots of locavore/ live off the land types who do eat meat/ lots of local produce, but they just consider themselves simple Pennsylvania farm folk, and have no idea what to do with faro or quinoa or miso or kimchi, all of which are pretty big staples in the type of food that I cook. I definitely try to use as many local products as I can, but I cook a ton of global and Asian-inspired food too. I think all of that falls under the "hippie food" umbrella though, which is why I chose that label for the thread.

mindphlux posted:

there is this kale salad sold at wholefoods around here that I really love, I've recreated the recipe.

I do love kale salads, when you rub in good oil and the leaves break down a little. I am one of those crazy people who eats no fish though. I was raised as a Buddhist, so I don't eat any animal products at all (except for backyard pet chicken's eggs) for religious/ ethical reasons. My husband is an omnivore though!

Here's my rough plan for the week, to use up all these vegetables:

Today:
- Lunch: the last of the quinoa salad, zucchini fritters, tomato and basil salad
- Dinner: home made tofu (I'm soaking the soybeans now) with scallions and tamari, cucumber sushi, spinach with garlic, ginger, and sesame

Saturday:
- Brunch: new potato hash, eggs, grilled tomato
- Dinner: steamed beets with dill (I would roast them, but have no oven right now), white bean salad, sugar snap peas, kale

Sunday:
- Udon noodle stir fry with peas, carrots, kohlrabi, edamame, peppers, broccoli, lots of hot sauce. Or maybe we'll go out to eat somewhere.

Monday:
- I'm home alone on Monday, so it's an easy/quick meal of sweet potatoes and tempeh with peanut sauce and greens. My husband HATES tempeh and I love it, and he also thinks I put too much hot sauce on everything, so when I'm just cooking for myself, I tend to make something like this.

Tuesday:
- Some kind of grain (or couscous) salad, garlic scape hummus, carrot slaw, grilled flatbread

Wednesday:
- I don't know yet- need to see what's leftover in the fridge. CSA pickup is Thursday, so Wednesday is always the day to scrape together whatever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

A tablespoon of Marmite, soy sauce, and then fish sauce on top of that? How salty is that dressing? (I'm not afraid of salt, quite the opposite, just curious)

not that salty. most dressings should be made this way for like slaws and such, where you anticipate the liquid from the plant matter seeping out and diluting your base.

so, that's like 2-3 tablespoons of salty umami stuff and some lemon juice for an ENTIRE huge bunch of torn up kale. the end product is relatively dry and not too salty. just try it. I'll go even saltier if I'm making like a papaya slaw or cabbage where there's a ton of liquid that will be released.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Usually I cook a ton on weekends, but I didn't this weekend. Bad timing to start a thread?

Friday night I made vegetable sushi and then made my own tofu. Making the tofu just called for lemon and soybeans- the process was pretty magical! But I underestimated how long it would take to make it, and by the time it was done, I just wanted to wolf it down and didn't take any photos.

On Saturday we went out to eat at a cool brewpub, and then on Sunday we went to our friend's for dinner. (She made hippie food though- fava bean and potato patties, a bulgur tabbouleh, and a big green salad).

So, this is my first opportunity to share more hippie food with you!

For lunch: the aforementioned tofu, with a bit of tamari, sesame seeds, chili flakes, and sesame oil. Also, vegetables from the CSA: spinach, scallions, and sweet potato, and a simple peanut sauce.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
sometimes I eat out of the dumpster behind the Kroger I think that is like eating hippy food right

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
no that is pretty monoculture i think

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

For the family 4th of July party: cabbage slaw, browned Asian eggplant and zucchini, carrots, cucumbers, pepper, tofu, basil, mint, spicy lime dressing.

Everything but the pepper and tofu is from the CSA or my garden.

I will probably eat this all myself!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Plus_Infinity posted:

For the family 4th of July party: cabbage slaw, browned Asian eggplant and zucchini, carrots, cucumbers, pepper, tofu, basil, mint, spicy lime dressing.

Everything but the pepper and tofu is from the CSA or my garden.

I will probably eat this all myself!

that's pretty rad looking

I can't for the life of me be bothered to give a poo poo about quinoa. It reminds me of kale, which I associate with stinky hippies overrated the hell out of. And skyrocketing prices for an overrated veggie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kale is good. Quinoa not so much.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I don't mind quinoa but I don't really see the point of it. It's pretty okay in couscous, lentil or oatmeal-type dishes, except 5 times more expensive and a bit less flavourful.

The American kale craze doesn't seem to have caught on here much. Possibly because of a national trauma regarding being forced to eat grandma's underseasoned boiled kale and potato mash (with a sliced sausage plopped on top). The trick was to put it on top of the sausage slice so it didn't touch your tongue, swallow the mash whole and quickly chew the sausage to get rid of the flavour. That bitter boiled cabbage funk... :gonk:

Disclaimer: it's actually pretty delicious if you don't give it the wartime cooking treatment.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I like how quinoa has a bit of a snappy texture, more than couscous anyway. My favorite grain is probably faro though. It's so nutty and good!

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
One time I got a handy at a Jefferson starship concert

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Plus_Infinity posted:

I like how quinoa has a bit of a snappy texture, more than couscous anyway. My favorite grain is probably faro though. It's so nutty and good!

Faro is good. Bulgur is also good!

I didn't take a picture but yesterday I made Mercimekli Köfte, which owns especially hard since it's basically effortless cold falafel. You shape them by giving them a satisfying squish between your fingers:

" My Turkish Kitchen posted:

1 cup of red lentil
3/4 cup of extra fine bulgur
1 small size of onion (finely chopped )
3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped )
1/3 bunch of parsley (finely chopped )
4 green onion (finely chopped )
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 tsp of cumin
1 tbsp of hot red pepper paste (harissa or biber salcasi or sriracha)
1 tbsp of tomato paste
salt

Wash and drain lentils. Take it in a medium pot and cover with just enough cool water to cook. Turn the heat on high and bring it to the boil then turn the heat down to low. Do not add too much water. Watch it closely if water is needed during the cooking process you could add some more.
Turn the heat off when lentil becomes mushy. At this moment you may drain if it has access water. The consistency of cooked lentil should be thick. Add bulgur to the pot and stir. Cover the lid and let it sit for 20 minutes.
Take olive oil and chopped onion in a small skillet and saute it over medium heat.
Take the lentil-bulgur mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add sauteed onion, tomato paste, red pepper paste, cumin and salt to the bowl and knead it until well combined. Then add chopped green onion, chopped parsley, chopped garlic and knead again.
Place some lettuce leaves on a serving dish. Take a small piece of mixture ( about the size of a walnut ) and give it a shape of football with your palm and put it on the lettuce leaves.
Serve it with ayran [spicy bell pepper paste] and pickles [green turkish peppers or some kind of mix of pickled vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, beets etc].

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp

PiratePing posted:

Faro is good. Bulgur is also good!

I didn't take a picture but yesterday I made Mercimekli Köfte, which owns especially hard since it's basically effortless cold falafel. You shape them by giving them a satisfying squish between your fingers:

Wow that looks like something I made in the bathroom of a festival once I didn't realize I was an artist

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I like teff. I make teff polenta. And injera. But mostly Teff polenta.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PiratePing posted:

The American kale craze doesn't seem to have caught on here much. Possibly because of a national trauma regarding being forced to eat grandma's underseasoned boiled kale and potato mash (with a sliced sausage plopped on top). The trick was to put it on top of the sausage slice so it didn't touch your tongue, swallow the mash whole and quickly chew the sausage to get rid of the flavour. That bitter boiled cabbage funk... :gonk:

Also suspiciously following the American kale craze over here with my "grandma's underseasoned boiled kale and potato mash" -trauma,
but over here, the supermarket (AH) started to sell "Rawlicious" kale chips for 3,49 euro per 40 grams,
now THAT'S a good reason not to fall for that poo poo ;-)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Every time I've had quinoa I just felt it was bland and I'd rather bulgar or something.

Kale has just been totally underwhelming every time I've had it. Like if I really wanted chips I'll have the real drat thing. Even when not cooked as a healthy alternative I've just been so bleh on it.

I've also never tried making either myself, so maybe that might change it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kale is toothy cabbage. Don't think of it as anything else.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Kale is toothy cabbage. Don't think of it as anything else.
Eh, kale's much more bitter than cabbage. Coleslaw made with kale rather than cabbage isn't just going to be toothier.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Kale has its place. Bitter isn't bad. Embrace the bitter. Now lets talk about fresh hops on the dinner plate.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I love bitter so I'm a fan of kale. Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable of all.

My garden somehow exploded this week. Tomato plants are almost as tall as I am. Chickens are almost old enough to lay. My black futsu squash has taken over the squash patch. I think it grows a couple feet a day!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think kale is pretty great with anything vinegary or citrusy. One of my favorite things to do is blanch some kale just until it starts to break down, then toss with olive oil, balsamic, lemon juice, tomato and radishes for a nice summer salad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just like it cooked all day long with bacon and onions, then served with Trappey's.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

PiratePing posted:

I don't mind quinoa but I don't really see the point of it. It's pretty okay in couscous, lentil or oatmeal-type dishes, except 5 times more expensive and a bit less flavourful.

It's jammed out the butt with Protein. I use it in soups and stews to fill it out, a bit like you would with pearl barley. I think of it like risotto or tofu - if you do nothing with it, then you're gunna have a bad time.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just like it cooked all day long with bacon and onions, then served with Trappey's.

Ah, perfect for the Hippie thread.

Crosspost from the General Question thread, super filling lentil and potato soup I made the other night

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ah, perfect for the Hippie thread.

Like I've said before, "hippie" food, especially if you read the appropriate literature and cookbooks from the 60s and 70s, was about eating healthy with the natural foods you had on hand, always as home made as possible, and home grown if you could. For instance right now we're getting a lot of beets, among other things, so we do them Japanese style (lightly boiled and topped with a little dashi and shoyu), cooked all day like the turnip or other greens with fatty pork and other flavorings, roasted and covered with bechamel, pickled in 3 different ways, roasted, cooled, and mixed into a rice salad, etc.

It's not about eating quinoa everyday and driving the price of it up for poor Peruvians. It's about keeping a garden, baking bread, raising animals, and being very familiar with your own kitchen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quinoa is cool, it tastes good in breads and when cooked like a risotto. As a general use whole grain though there are just so many out there that are cheaper and, in my opinion, far more delicious. Tarro, wheat berries, barley, buckwheat... all amazing and pretty cheap if you live in the US. We usually get wheat berries supplied from our local CSA in bulk and it's honestly a struggle to wait two whole weeks in between eating them all up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like I've said before, "hippie" food, especially if you read the appropriate literature and cookbooks from the 60s and 70s, was about eating healthy with the natural foods you had on hand, always as home made as possible, and home grown if you could. For instance right now we're getting a lot of beets, among other things, so we do them Japanese style (lightly boiled and topped with a little dashi and shoyu), cooked all day like the turnip or other greens with fatty pork and other flavorings, roasted and covered with bechamel, pickled in 3 different ways, roasted, cooled, and mixed into a rice salad, etc.

It's not about eating quinoa everyday and driving the price of it up for poor Peruvians. It's about keeping a garden, baking bread, raising animals, and being very familiar with your own kitchen.

Jesus. This is scary, but I might be more of a hippie eater than the vegetarian females I know who do yoga and spend money on "healing crystals."

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY

grandpas drunk posted:

One time I got a handy at a Jefferson starship concert

shut the gently caress up is also gluten free, should add that to your diet.

CSA's are amazing if you can find the right one for a good price that serves what ya want.

One summer every week we got a Salsa CSA. Had bomb salsa all summer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

Jesus. This is scary, but I might be more of a hippie eater than the vegetarian females I know who do yoga and spend money on "healing crystals."

yep

and I probably embody more christian ideals than most christians I know, even while screaming 'god is dead, allahu akbar' all the way to the bank

just how poo poo shakes loose with ideology I guess :I

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

It's funny how these things go!

Okay there is no photo for this recipe because it is not photogenic but it is very delicious and simple. Maybe toooo simple but I never see anyone prepare it this way and it's about 10000x better than watery squash (ugh). And at this time of year everyone has zucchini coming out of their ears if they are growing them at home!

My Mother's Zucchini:

Cut zucchini into matchsticks. Toss with salt and let the water leech out for a bit. Put a pan over high heat and add a tablespoon or two of oil and let it heat up. Drop in the zucchini and spread it out so its just in one layer on the pan. Let it sit there until it's almost burned. Stir and repeat until all the matchsticks are dark brown. This will take half an hour or so. At this point you can add more salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, tomato, whatever you like. The zucchini will be sweet and very flavorful, almost like caramelized onions.

I like it tossed with pasta and olive oil but it's also great on bruschetta, or in any kind of salad, or just as a little side dish.

I have not yet tried cooking the zucchini this way and then making zucchini bread out of it but I think it would be amazing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Plus_Infinity posted:

It's funny how these things go!

Okay there is no photo for this recipe because it is not photogenic but it is very delicious and simple. Maybe toooo simple but I never see anyone prepare it this way and it's about 10000x better than watery squash (ugh). And at this time of year everyone has zucchini coming out of their ears if they are growing them at home!

My Mother's Zucchini:

Cut zucchini into matchsticks. Toss with salt and let the water leech out for a bit. Put a pan over high heat and add a tablespoon or two of oil and let it heat up. Drop in the zucchini and spread it out so its just in one layer on the pan. Let it sit there until it's almost burned. Stir and repeat until all the matchsticks are dark brown. This will take half an hour or so. At this point you can add more salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, tomato, whatever you like. The zucchini will be sweet and very flavorful, almost like caramelized onions.

I like it tossed with pasta and olive oil but it's also great on bruschetta, or in any kind of salad, or just as a little side dish.

I have not yet tried cooking the zucchini this way and then making zucchini bread out of it but I think it would be amazing.

I've done this many times. It's delicious and very easy. Try melting an anchovy and some tomato paste into the oil before you fry the zucchini. I also like to add almond slivers in the final few minutes, just to get them golden.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I just harvested 6 giant cucumbers from my garden. So exciting! Does anyone have any interesting cucumber recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

my lazy summer salad go to is cucumbers, tomato, red onion, Bulgarian feta (it's really creamy and awesome), and mint.

I would love some cuc recipes as well though!

• Locked thread