Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

THE MACHO MAN posted:

my lazy summer salad go to is cucumbers, tomato, red onion, Bulgarian feta (it's really creamy and awesome), and mint.

I would love some cuc recipes as well though!

MINT. Should have thought of that. I have tons of it in the garden!

Here's my lunch from today. Two salads:

- cucumber, kohlrabi, parsley, farro, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper

- lentils, carrots, golden beets, olive oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, with a lemon-tahini-sumac-garlic dressing and local raw honey

This is the kind of thing I love to eat the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

THE MACHO MAN posted:

my lazy summer salad go to is cucumbers, tomato, red onion, Bulgarian feta (it's really creamy and awesome), and mint.

protip get a bucket of vietnamese fried onions and put them on this salad. next level poo poo.

I stayed in bulgaria for about 3 months and got hooked on the bulgarian salad "shopska", which is basically this. cucumber, tomato, red onion, and peppers, with a tart bulgarian cheese. I throw in olives as well usually, and fried onions.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

protip get a bucket of vietnamese fried onions and put them on this salad. next level poo poo.

I stayed in bulgaria for about 3 months and got hooked on the bulgarian salad "shopska", which is basically this. cucumber, tomato, red onion, and peppers, with a tart bulgarian cheese. I throw in olives as well usually, and fried onions.

A buddy of mine who lived in Bulgaria for a couple years with the peace corp brought some rakia back with him that we polished off in a night. Good poo poo.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I think this may have polish origins, not sure but I grew up eating it. Slice cucumbers and thinly slice an onion. Dress with a mixture of chopped fresh dill, sour cream and a little vinegar with plenty of black pepper.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Roxy Rouge posted:

I think this may have polish origins, not sure but I grew up eating it. Slice cucumbers and thinly slice an onion. Dress with a mixture of chopped fresh dill, sour cream and a little vinegar with plenty of black pepper.

I know about the origins but yeah there is definitely a similar thing in Polish cooking. I am not sure of the name but you pretty much nailed the ingredients. It's always at Polish kitchens here and is wonderful

mindphlux posted:

I will definitely check this out, thanks! Is it basically just fried shallots like I see for some recipes or should I grab one of those jars?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I know about the origins but yeah there is definitely a similar thing in Polish cooking. I am not sure of the name but you pretty much nailed the ingredients. It's always at Polish kitchens here and is wonderful

I will definitely check this out, thanks! Is it basically just fried shallots like I see for some recipes or should I grab one of those jars?

it is just fried shallots, but I can't imagine how you'd make them at home. worth picking up a jar.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Giant salad for lunch. Summer produce is really getting into the swing of things now!

- Potato salad with homemade mayo (with an egg from MY OWN CHICKEN!)
- Cucumbers
- Tomatoes
- Lettuce
- Grilled eggplant

It's delicious, and everything is from my own garden or the CSA!

Here are the chickens:

I have lots and lots of eggplant from the CSA, so any suggestions for what to do other than grilling would be nice.

Also, how long do fridge pickles last? I have SO many cucumbers, but I don't want to go through the hassle of boiling jars and fully canning them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you use enough salt and vinegar, they last until they get slimey or taste funny. A year maybe I don't know.

For eggplant make Korean things.

• Locked thread