Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:f5:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

:munch:

Love the thread title.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

Love the thread title.

That means we need at least 2 more of those things for this thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Countdown to "crank walk" image being posted.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Countdown to "crank walk" image being posted.

Walked right out of the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Anyway. As I'm sure most of you are already aware, the last several months haven't really been the greatest I've had.

The latest "fun" news was getting notice from my landlord on Monday morning telling me "I'm going to have people doing pruning in the backyard, so the cars have to be moved by Saturday". Then the guy across the street with the truck flaked on helping me move them.

So 14" and I did it with his tiny Civic.

Fortunately the "new" house (my mother left it to me) is only about a block away from the place I'm renting, and has a loving paved driveway and a carport, so it should make finishing the car considerably less lovely. And they're both on the ground now, so I can start really digging in to the car so I can swap the shifter/cables/engine harness, which are the things I need to do next before I start putting the rest of the car back together.

Of course, I now have to split time with all the activities I've got coming up (summer is really drat busy for me), plus I need to dedicate time to doing renovations on the house, AND then I have to get everything moved from the place I'm renting.

I'll get it done, we'll just see if it's before or after I buy a Lancer. :)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ssjonizuka posted:

That means we need at least 2 more of those things for this thread.

I had a '91 AWD a while back as well. Not on number 4 yet though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, looks like there's a guy that's parting out his 2G and might have a cheap Fluidyne for sale, might have to snap that up (I hate radiators with plastic components).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am jealous of your paved driveway. :argh:

Also all the good jokes are taken so please just make sure you use clean needles when you muscle your DSMs.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Parts!

It's 1/0 AWG for the new alternator, with a bonus spool to re-do the grounds. I bought some ring terminals so I can connect the power wire to the alternator, and I already bought a set of battery posts with large openings for cable.

Still need to pick up a 150A breaker or fusebox for the line, but that shouldn't be hard to find.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you can deal with the fuse being 175 instead iirc mid 90s ford f150s have a nice mega fuse holder and 175 amp mega fuse on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood, two of them actually, connected right to the starter solenoid.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

If you can deal with the fuse being 175 instead iirc mid 90s ford f150s have a nice mega fuse holder and 175 amp mega fuse on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood, two of them actually, connected right to the starter solenoid.

That seems like extra work for not a lot of gain.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

I am jealous of your paved driveway. :argh:

Also all the good jokes are taken so please just make sure you use clean needles when you muscle your DSMs.

You missed the joke about the first post in a DSM thread being an empty desolate wasteland where dreams went to die

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

You missed the joke about the first post in a DSM thread being an empty desolate wasteland where dreams went to die

You forgot the part about where you just shove money and parts into them and they never move under their own power.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Landlord update: Didn't even loving come out last weekend, apparently they broke the pruning tool. Coming out this weekend though, while I'll be out of town.

Looks like my current plan is to go home after work and spend a bit of time dicking with the car while I'm waiting for the girl to get home. Then eat dinner and back to the house (this time to work on the house itself to get ready to move in).

We'll see how it goes. Today's schedule is to get most of the parts and my tools moved over, then tear out the seats and part of the interior plastics so I can get on swapping the engine harness and shifter/cables. I should start tearing in to the dash soon as well so I can replace the lock cylinder in the ignition and start working on updating my lighting.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

A DSM koan for you:

How does one remove a power seat while lacking power?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In junkyards, I've talked the people working there into hooking up a jumper box to the car so I can move seats/pop the trunk/etc.

Just hook up a battery and make sure anything starter/alternator/thick wire related is very well insulated?

If too much wiring has been removed to do that, you might try feeding the fusebox directly from the positive terminal of a battery using jumper cables (negative to the body), just be drat careful.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 1, 2015

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Managed to get one of the seats out, the others probably going to have to wait until I've got the battery and fusebox back in the car.

In the past thirteen years owning one car I'd forgotten how totally lameawesome it is dealing with some dipshitprevious owner's lovely bodges innovative solutions.

Let's have ourselves a few moments, shall we?

lovely stereo wiring. Well, at least that isn't a surprise.

Oh, come ON. Really?

What the hell is this?

No, seriously. What the hell is this doing in here?

I'm going to need to trace that switch and find out what the gently caress it's going to. I wonder if it's some half-assed attempt at a kill switch or something equally stupid.

MikeyTsi fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That last pic is some kind of rheostat. Probably to adjust the level going to a :krad: sub amp, one with line level inputs (judging by all the speaker wire, the plain regular wire going to the rheostat, the lack of any RCAs in sight, and the blue wire [typically used to turn on an amp] being connected to.. something).

I've seen (and in my teen years, done) worse wiring, but that's still special.

If an adapter harness was used (assuming from the wire colors, it looks like they did use one), it looks like they at least started out trying to keep it neat. And it just kind of grew into a mess as they added on to the system.

e: okay, looks like that adapter harness has been through more than a few stereos/cars, if one was even used. :confused: That's butchered to hell. Shouldn't be too bad to fix though, get a junkyard (or Metra) pigtail and some crimps. Hell, you can probably cut out the harness from your old car and use that (cut at least 6 inches more than you think you'll need, preferably at least a foot), assuming you didn't do the same things to it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 1, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MikeyTsi posted:

A DSM koan for you:

How does one remove a power seat while lacking power?

I usually hack up a junk harness, jam some wires into the plug, and hook them to a cordless tool battery. 18 volts, 12 volts, what's the difference?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

That last pic is some kind of rheostat. Probably to adjust the level going to a :krad: sub amp, one with line level inputs (judging by all the speaker wire, the plain regular wire going to the rheostat, the lack of any RCAs in sight, and the blue wire [typically used to turn on an amp] being connected to.. something).

I've seen (and in my teen years, done) worse wiring, but that's still special.

If an adapter harness was used (assuming from the wire colors, it looks like they did use one), it looks like they at least started out trying to keep it neat. And it just kind of grew into a mess as they added on to the system.

e: okay, looks like that adapter harness has been through more than a few stereos/cars, if one was even used. :confused: That's butchered to hell. Shouldn't be too bad to fix though, get a junkyard (or Metra) pigtail and some crimps. Hell, you can probably cut out the harness from your old car and use that (cut at least 6 inches more than you think you'll need, preferably at least a foot), assuming you didn't do the same things to it.

I don't cut my harnesses, ever, so that's likely what I'm going to do. It was just REAL special.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, let's get the ECU pulled and get the rest of the engine control harness pulled out so I can swap it with the one from the '97, shall we?

Well. I guess now I know why there were "random problems" with the car. Good thing these are coming out with the control harness, right?

Well, moving on. Let's go ahead and pull the panel underneath the steering wheel, there's some random wires going around, and I want to see if maybe they put an aftermarket alarm or something in here,....

Huh.

WHAT DO I DO, GUYS? I DON'T WANNA GO TO JAIL.

Welp, looks like I'm pulling the dash!

Motherfuckingdamnitshit.

Probably no updates until next week, I"m busy tomorrow night and then I'll be off for the weekend. Stay tuned for another episode of, "What the gently caress?!"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PO got it from a buy here pay here lot. They often install a device that either lets them remotely disable the car or requires a new code to be entered every couple of weeks (and sometimes includes a GPS tracker, making their repo much easier). Either way, they usually just abandon them in place once the car is paid off.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

PO got it from a buy here pay here lot. They often install a device that either lets them remotely disable the car or requires a new code to be entered every couple of weeks (and sometimes includes a GPS tracker, making their repo much easier). Either way, they usually just abandon them in place once the car is paid off.

Yes, I figured it was something like that. It's super that they're okay with doing a lovely hack-job in to a car and then just loving leave it in there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wow this harness has been hamfucked by a multitude of idiots who shouldn't ever be permitted to touch automotive electrical systems. My condolences dude, that's gonna be annoying to reverse... at least you can mostly just match up color codes and work from there.

Reminds me, I gotta tear the garbage aftermarket alarm out of one of my cars, its disarm switch is A loving DOORBELL BUTTON. DECK SCREWED TO THE INSIDE OF THE ASHTRAY. I don't even know what the gently caress :psyboom:

Best part? The car came with a perfectly good factory alarm originally.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

Wow this harness has been hamfucked by a multitude of idiots who shouldn't ever be permitted to touch automotive electrical systems. My condolences dude, that's gonna be annoying to reverse... at least you can mostly just match up color codes and work from there.

Reminds me, I gotta tear the garbage aftermarket alarm out of one of my cars, its disarm switch is A loving DOORBELL BUTTON. DECK SCREWED TO THE INSIDE OF THE ASHTRAY. I don't even know what the gently caress :psyboom:

Best part? The car came with a perfectly good factory alarm originally.

It looks like it's all pretty much just splices and taps, which are relatively easy to fix.

And I do have a perfectly good set of wiring harnesses from the other car, I just REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE TO PULL THE loving DASH OUT.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Try one of these, worked great for me!
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Safety-Block/dp/B004T1VYLA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435878238&sr=8-3&keywords=blue+sea+midi+fuse

Dunno if 1/0 will fit in the breakout on the cover, though.

Maybe one of these will give you more copper:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Safety-Block/dp/B004ZJ0WEQ/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H8DNHNN2ZAXTN5PMHZ3

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 3, 2015

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Would you guys like to read about my adventures in home renovation in this thread, or should I find a place to create a new one?

I'm finding no shortage of "wtf" already.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd read about it here, but there's several thread like that in DIY/hobbies so you'd be right at home. Kastein has a similar thread for his house of theseus project.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Might as well do it there then. I'll set one up and put a link here later tonight, I'll be over there working on house/car this evening so I'll be able to take some of the wtf-ery pictures.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The guy across the street has an AWD turbo Talon. I have lived in this house for almost six years and the car has never run. It just sits in the garage with a car cover and a broken gearbox. He used to work as a dealership tech (does commercial HVAC now), so he knows HOW to fix it, the DSM depression just keeps him from getting it done.

I take a portable jump pack to the junkyard with me. I've seen a number of youtube videos about lithium ion jump packs that are much smaller and lighter.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

The guy across the street has an AWD turbo Talon. I have lived in this house for almost six years and the car has never run. It just sits in the garage with a car cover and a broken gearbox. He used to work as a dealership tech (does commercial HVAC now), so he knows HOW to fix it, the DSM depression just keeps him from getting it done.

I take a portable jump pack to the junkyard with me. I've seen a number of youtube videos about lithium ion jump packs that are much smaller and lighter.

PBCRUNCH where have you been? I have been awaiting your tales of flipping cars! Did you get rich and retire or something?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

PBCrunch posted:

I'm pretty sure he's probably completely broke like 99% of DSM owners.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

everdave posted:

PBCRUNCH where have you been? I have been awaiting your tales of flipping cars! Did you get rich and retire or something?

I went back to school and haven't had time for car flipping. For a while, the bottom of the used car market was completely screwed up; it is now returning to normal. Maybe I should buy a DSM (they're all broken, right) and flip it. Not a chance.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PBCrunch posted:

I went back to school and haven't had time for car flipping. For a while, the bottom of the used car market was completely screwed up; it is now returning to normal. Maybe I should buy a DSM (they're all broken, right) and flip it. Not a chance.

Flip it into a ravine, maybe.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I made a thread for my adventures in home ownership:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733454

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I found Octopus Magic's next DSM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19940000-Mi...=p2047675.l2557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wow... That interior. And tbh, everything else.