Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

This is why I should stay the gently caress off of Craigslist:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5159020119.html

Yeah, I'm rebuilding one and all, but I kind of miss the exclusivity that comes with having one that's legitimately rare. I sent the guy a text, we'll see if I get a response back, AND if said response doesn't end up having a major red flag.

If there isn't, any AI goons near Colorado Springs that would be willing to give it a once over and take it for a shop diagnostic before I decide to spend time and money flying to Colorado?

If I end up buying it I'd just finish the 1995 and sell it and keep this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, I guess the guy didn't actually want to sell the car, couldn't get him to respond to any e-mails.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Buy mine instead.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Nah. Yours is the wrong color, and you ruined it by putting the wrong bumpers on it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Debating again pulling the ABS system out of the '97 and installing it in the new car,....

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Found two people selling grey VR-4's. gently caress.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well since you already got a pair of Talons it stands to reason you'll need the matching pair of VR4s or people are going to start questioning your dedication to the cause.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Why in the hell are there two lower ball joints, and why is one of the ball joints directly under the axle with less than zero clearance and almost impossible to tighten?

Otherwise super easy axle replacement, A++ will do again on the other side.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Because DSM.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Don't worry, B5 chassis Audis have two upper balljoints and IIRC either E21 or E28 BMWs have two lowers.

You do not suffer alone.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

SUPERIOR JAPANESE SUSPENSION

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The audi also have one long through bolt holding the arms to the knuckle through a machined groove, and the tie rod end is a tiny little bolt threading in. Guess what likes to rust together and twist off the head?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It is truly ironic that you, in rustfree Washington, are saying that, while I in rotten Massachusetts got both front upper pinch bolts out intact on an 01 A4 with over 200k miles on it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

It is truly ironic that you, in rustfree Washington, are saying that, while I in rotten Massachusetts got both front upper pinch bolts out intact on an 01 A4 with over 200k miles on it.

I was about to say the same thing but replace mass with Chicago and a4 with a8

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Washington is in no way a rust-free state, although it's better than the misbegotten wastelands you're from. And it's going to get worse since they've decided that salt is a much better thing to use on roads in the future than sand.

Fuckers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

SouthsideSaint posted:

I was about to say the same thing but replace mass with Chicago and a4 with a8

Same as what all of your are saying except Canada and we just burn the car if it's over 10 years old

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Our cars burn for 15 years before they die. It's just a very slow fire and burns more of the metal and less of the paint, rubber, and plastic.

Sucks about your new salt-based overlords, I always thought of WA as a rust-free haven for cars that doesn't blast them with radiation until the paint and plastic melt :(

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
It's not that bad here, some years we get no snow and when we do it's usually only for a couple days before the rain washes the salt away.
As an example here is the door of my truck:

Three+ years ago i backed into a garage door while leaning out to look behind me. It was obviously not the first time this had happened since there was already a crease and touch up paint there when I bought it. Three years of parking on the curb, daily driving and rare washes on bare metal has led to a what I would describe as minor surface rust showing no signs of spreading. On a twenty year old truck I have still never had trouble with a stuck bolt.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

WANT

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I'm sure people have figured this out by now, but there's unlikely to be a whole lot in the way of updates (outside of me lusting over GVR4's) until I get moved. Once I'm actually in the house where the car is parked full time I'll have less excuses to not work on it (especially since I'm currently unemployed).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I have found the ultimate 80's car:

http://greenville.es.craigslist.org/cto/5288304654.html

I really love the late model Conquests for some reason; one of these days I'm going to buy the poo poo out of a good example and swap a 4G63T in to it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My dad owned not one, but two of them. IIRC, an 88, followed by an 89.

I've wanted one ever since. :sigh:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

There's a local guy that has a GVR4 cor sale, hope to get a look at it soon.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
The GVR4 from Texas with the PREEVO plate is in pretty good shape when you see it in person. I think the only one I've ever seen seen in better condition is the guy from Texas with EVO0 for a license plate. That looks like it just rolled out of the dealer.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

The GVR4 from Texas with the PREEVO plate is in pretty good shape when you see it in person. I think the only one I've ever seen seen in better condition is the guy from Texas with EVO0 for a license plate. That looks like it just rolled out of the dealer.

That one already sold, unfortunately.

For loving $10K, too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Took a look at a local GVR4 on Saturday, found the following issues:

Definitely has an oil leak.
Failed emissions last time.
Feels like it has a boost leak.
Water is getting in to the trunk, so bad seal somewhere.
Water is also apparently getting in to the driver's footwell.
A/C doesn’t work.
Engine seems "rough". Thinking it could be as simple as bad plugs/wires, or something a lot more serious.
It's a series of things that could be either simple/cheap maintenance items, or could be something seriously wrong. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's not worth $4000 in it's condition.

Trying to decide if I should go forward with an inspection, or if I should just keep looking.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

$4k for one of those cars is insane. It's a 25 year old clapped out tuner car. DSMers are a unique breed, though. They may one day grow out of it and move on to something more modern, or have 20 DSMs in their backyard.

You sound like the latter type. :) I'd pass on that car and find something else.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Only 3000 made it to the US, and a good portion of those have been destroyed. And they're a bit more than just a clapped-out tuner car.

It's like complaining that a '64 Mustang is a clapped-out muscle car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MikeyTsi posted:

Only 3000 made it to the US, and a good portion of those have been destroyed. And they're a bit more than just a clapped-out tuner car.

It's like complaining that a '64 Mustang is a clapped-out muscle car.

As a former dsm owner, I'm well aware. Just because it's rare doesn't make something desirable in my eyes. It's nothing special by today's standards.

That said, go nuts, it's your money. I'm just another rear end in a top hat on the internet with an opinion. :v:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

You know what a really smart thing to do is?

Make sure you put all of your tools and car parts in the corner of a room, then move a whole house worth of boxes in front of it.

This would be a great time to try to get my car finished too, since I'm still looking for work and all.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Now it just means you have to unpack everything and put it up while you work on getting to your tools.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, well, well, what do we have here?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYB AGX's and what should be Eibach Pro-kits.

Now I need to find stuff to make sure I can get the alignment back in-spec after install.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Ugh. I think I threw away the last camber bolts I had.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

The alternator was only spitting out 30A. The factory spec is 65A. After the ground and positive lead were replaced, it does 80A.

I hope to someday learn what the hell the previous owner did to this. Also more black duct tape for everything.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The alternator was only spitting out 30A. The factory spec is 65A. After the ground and positive lead were replaced, it does 80A.

I hope to someday learn what the hell the previous owner did to this. Also more black duct tape for everything.

Put a 4G63T in it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ordered a set of trans/motor mount bolts today, because it obviously has the wrong ones in at least one place and gently caress if I know where I and the rest of the monkeys that have worked on this car know where they are now.

Got my tax return money, so I'm going to get the alignment correction pieces I need and I'm thinking about either picking up the other few prothane kits I need to do all the suspension bits, OR buy new suspension pieces and also buy the prothane kits and just swap out the rubber bushings for the prothane bits.

I also want to replace the carpet, but that may wait a bit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Found another Galant I want but can't afford.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5607439143.html

On another note, the bolts I needed showed up and 14" should be coming by on Thursday. Plan there is to probably first check out the failed A/C in the Saturn so I can see how hard it's going to be to make it comfortable in the heat again, and then probably then start getting the Talon reassembled so I can start driving it again.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

InitialDave posted:

Countdown to "crank walk" image being posted.

Really, nobody stepped up? For shame!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In other car news, the Saturn has a blown compressor, which is just SUPER on 90+ degree weekends.

And the CHEAP end of replacements for one is apparently north of $200.