Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Rauri posted:

Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine
What's something you've done on accident that's earned your family's praise? What's something you've done - that any other family would've been proud of - that caused them to scorn you?

What ghost seems to have taken an interest in you? What place did they show you that's come in handy? What did they say that's given you pause?

Oh, don't say you've heard about that. It was an accident after all. I honestly had no idea Malcom had been fixing Quidditch matches. If he hadn't have accidentally walked into me and spilled all his ill-gotten gold in front of his head of house I still wouldn't have known. Still I got the credit for exposing him and my fathers praise for "eliminating a dangerous rival" his parents have packed him off to Durmstrang apparently. Still I didn't do anything I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why can't my Dad be normal like everyone elses? I mean I came second in the hufflepuff house cup most parents would be really proud of that especially since I only came second by something like 5 house points. But no all I got is being berated as how did dad put it "the biggest loser in a house full of losers." Yeah thanks Dad really fine praise.

Oh god yeah and that ghost won't leave me alone. What ghost? you ask. Evie she's an oldish woman or at least that's what she looks like anyway as a ghost. From what I've been able to piece together she used to teach divination way back when and is sticking around until she sees all her prophecies come true. Thing is from what I've been able to find in the library all of them are so vague they could've come true a dozen times already and no-one has noticed. Anyway apparently she's latched on to me as some sort of great hero or something prophesied to do whatever I was busy with my charms homework so I missed most of it. Truth is I think she's mistaken me for someone else. Still theres a cozy little cellar not far off from the Hufflepuff common room. I'd say it's deserted but someone's keeping it clean and it appears someones using it to store casks of really strong beer. Blew me away when I tried it. Evi lead me there, she said I looked like I needed a drink and I might as well enjoy it because I'd need more than a drink before the term is out. I laughed it off at first but it was the way she said it almost like she felt sorry for me....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Rauri posted:

Lee Gibson, the Unicorn
When did your unique upbringing and outlook let you see a solution to a problem those around you missed? When did a bully underestimate you, to their expense?

What's your favorite thing about Hogwarts? What do you find most offensive? What's the one change you'd make, if you could?

You know, one thing about these posh wizards is they always gotta think big. A lot of 'em live real fancy shmancy, and all they think about is a prophecy this, and ancient knowledge that and poo poo. They don't really think properly about a quid, or a galleon. Like, say, there was this one time some kind of magical artifact got stolen. Was apparently the key to some ancient ghost vault or something, and involved in prophecies. So, a lot of people were studying stuff, and people were thinking which family had done what a hunderd years ago or poo poo, or maybe someone was trying to resurrect Voldemort again. Bunch of folks started looking all kinds of places.

Me, I heard the Artifact was actually a golden ring. Like, serious bling. And all the artifact stuff only got found out after it got stolen. And I know it isn't just posh dudes that get sent here, for obvious reasons. So, I just went to Hogsmeade with a bit of coin, and suggested to some folk in the less busy places I was looking to sell something quickly. Found a little goblins called Friendly Fredrick. Guess what, he was buying all kind of stuff I know for a fact got 'lost' at Hogwarts. Gave him fair warning that this was the kind of stuff you get Aurochs after you for. He gave it back right quick, though. Handed it back at Hogwarts, got some points, but got subtracted some because I didn't rat out where I found it. Because I don't snitch, and you never know when you need some coin, or you need to get some cheap things. I visit him now and then. He's alright. Apparently stole the item of clothing that freed him. We talk poo poo about posh wizards sometimes. Anyway, the point is, none of the big brains thought sometimes, someone nicks someone because they want to sell it for the dosh. Cuz they've got a silver spoon so far up their rear end, the idea of not having enough money's complete nutters.

As for underestimating. Look, when I first came here, I was all impressed, but I never saw anything magic, innit? So I'm this litlte guy who doesn't got his tie right and is gapin' at everything, and I got a pigeon as my familiar. So yeah, a week in, these two snotty little shites figure they're gonna have some fun with me. Start playing lil' jokes. One of them was all smug about his big brother being prefect or something. So, I cornered him in the bathroom ,and told him his brother was graduating next year, and he had six years with me. So he'd better stop with the loving jokes. Like I learned in school. You gotta show you're hard if you wanna get any respect. Anyway, he told me I wouldn't dare, so I pretty much had to rough him up then and there. Lost a fair few points, a load rear end of detention. Little bitch snitched on me. So, first opportunity, I cornered him, and roughed him up again for snitching, because what the gently caress, mate? You take your lumps. I get detention? Ain't even bothered.

Honestly, I probably get away with a lot of poo poo because 'my special circumstances'. That's eh, something that's new, though. These teachers, a lot of 'em go kid's gloves on me. They got the file on what happened to me mom. (or what they say happened! Wasn't like that.) and I'm guessing they all feel somewhat guilty in a way, I figure if I started roughing up kids for nothing they'd come down hard on me, but dealing London-style with wanna be thugs who thing they're hard enough to come at an harcore OG Milwall Lion, yeah, I can get away with that. Maybe some of 'em actually cheer me on, 'cept they can't officially. Anyway, despite often costing Gryffindor more points than getting them, I got some amount of popularity. Turns out when you're a kid growing up in a lovely place in the 'Muggle' world, with some mystery going on about an attack on your parents by some dark magic types then come here and start breaking rules and getting away with it and showing an interest in DADA, you get a reputation. I dunno. Like, that Harry Potter bloke kicked Death Eater rear end, which is fine and all, but he turned his back on his family, didn't he? Also, I don't loving stand for anyone getting bullied, not me, not someone else. And I don't give a gently caress what they're bringing at me. Anyway, it's nice not to be treated like a lovely criminal by your teacher. No, seriously, the poo poo teachers let you get away with here is pretty brill.

A thing I also like is hanging with the other 'muggles' You know I told you how we meet and chat about our stuff. Fun thing is, that's people from kind of everywhere. Got some posh son of a bigwig HR guy, a girl from Pakistan, a guy from the welsh middle o' loving nowhere, the son of a pastor. Inhere, we're all talking like equals mate, it's loving madness. We're all united in hanging on to the things we like about home, even if we're cool with being wizards or witches or whatever. Because it's not just people yelling 'mudblood' that's the problem. You got people who are real friendly and nice, but they keep telling you to adapt, to change yourself to fit in with the rest. To just ignore and forget everything our parents and our friends back home told us, just so we don't have to remind them that there's a world outside their nice wizard bubble that they hosed up proper. I'm taking my place here, but I'm taking South-East London with me where I go, though. So, yeah, that's a thing I don't like. And yeah, I'm aware that's how Rupinder's feeling most of the time back home too. Been taking care of that back home. Can't stand for any Daily Mail racist poo poo. Gotta deal with that kind of bollocks when it shows up, innit?

So, one change? If I could have one change? The uniforms mate. The loving uniforms. Every time I wear them,, I feel like I'm betraying everything I've ever been. Originally, I just wore them badly because gently caress if I know how to make a tie. Now, I make a goddamn point of wearing my uniform improperly. Most teachers gave up trying to correct it. You take enough points off, Gryffindor knows they ain't winning, and then nobody gives a poo poo anymore. I'd come in my best fake Burberry if I thought I could get away with it. Ugh....

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rauri posted:

Second Questions
Jacob Grimes, The Mortal
What hex do you most hate getting hit by? What magical creature do you most think should be removed from the curriculum? What professor scares you most?

How has your knowledge of muggle life and society come in handy at Hogwarts? Which of your Housemates is most irritated by your talk of the real world? What dangerous prank did they play on you most recently?

Dear Diary,

So, let me tell you about how this crazy school probably traumatized me for life, because the teachers are too lazy to do their jobs right. For instance, Professor Thomsonicle's Defense Against the Dark Arts class is the most dangerous place I've ever been. At least once a week, someone ends up missing the rest of the day's classes because of an injury. Still, even I have to concede that part of the danger is the material itself. There's only so many ways you can make throwing half understood jinxes and hexes safe.

Granted, he just seems to go with however he was taught, and drat the casualties. But that's beside the point.

Professor Vink, though... She's a nutbag! On my first day here, half the class had to go to the hospital wing for burns. See, Vink hosed everyone down with cold water and then wanted the class to use a drying charm on each other. A charm that none of us had ever used before. She's the only teacher whose class has anywhere near the same number of injuries as DADA classes. I've still got some scars from that, too!

Ever since then, I've noticed how magical fire is just... wrong. It's fire, but it doesn't need fuel. It just... sits there, devouring everything it touches. And, unfortunately, it's not really a secret anymore. Caitriona Grory, easily one of the worst people in the school, has been conjuring some whenever the teachers aren't looking and every single time it scares me half to death.. But last night... oh, last night she went too far. She snuck into my room and LIT THE PLACE ON FIRE. SERIOUSLY. I woke up and almost choked to death on the smoke!

Of course, none of the teachers believed me, especially since she repaired all the damage by the time they came to take a look. And it's not like "Perfect Caitey" would do anything that reckless. Ugh, she's such a brown-noser.

Still, some of the other people in the house think that Caitriona's going too far. It probably didn't hurt that I've become a lot more popular after I shared a few tricks I picked up from my muggle friends. For instance, yeah, the teachers have got ways to detect if you just magic ink onto parchment, but apparently they never heard of the "taping a few pens together" trick. Stick five of them together and you're done in ten minutes, tops.

I swear, no one around here has any common sense. If it isn't magic, it's useless in their eyes. All the better for me, I guess.

Till next time,
Jacob

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

I'd like to address the rumors: It's true, it's true, I'm from America. My family's run a tobacco farm in Adamsburg--that's near Lexington, Commonwealth of Kentucky--for over 300 years now. I'm glad to spend the year as an exchange student at Hogwarts, but this boy's always gonna long for his old Kentucky home.

But yes, I am also a vampire. The Sutton clan has been spreading the darkness through the Bluegrass Region since my grandpappy first set up shop in a Native American burial ground so many centuries ago, or so the family legend goes. I sustain myself on pigs' blood, cows' blood, and the like; I've actually never drank human blood, the family realizing a while back that murdering people attracts more attention than it's worth. (Not that it doesn't still happen, mind, just that I've never been involved.) The family's also developed various protection charms, so as long as I'm wearing this amulet I can walk in the sun and handle holy symbols without issue, though looking around here I don't think the latter half's going to be much of an issue.

Vampires always have some degree of magic, of course, but I found I was rather gifted for spellcraft and took to it like a hog in mud, so when I was 12 I was sent off to the prestigious Lions Academy near Atlanta to get a proper wizardy education. I'd say I've been good but not great, but the Sutton name still goes a long way, so I'm proud to be accepted for this exchange program. I hope I represent the US--and vampires--quite favorably.

It's true what they say, though: England is another country, and there's been a bit of trouble adjusting. The talking hat put me in Slytherin, but I think maybe just cause I'm a creature of the night; I don't really get along with my bunkmates. They seem to always be sneaking and scheming, and I can get enough of that from my kin in Adamsburg if I wanted it. (And when they realized that as a vampire I actually had zero wizard blood in me, hoo boy. I don't think I really cut the tension when I added, "Well, none yet." Meant as a joke, but, uh...) I seem to do better with the Ravenclaws; we all just want to be the best wizards we can be.

I can't complain about all of the attention I've been getting, though. I don't know if it's the accent, my vampire allure, or just the fact that I'm the first new person these folk have met in six years, but I do seem to be catching some eyes. Vampire-human romance is a bit of a taboo, least back home, so I've tried to keep things light, but it don't mean I can't have some fun.

quote:

Beauregard Sutton, the Neighbor
Boyish, with hopeful eyes
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Neighbor Moves

Mixed Messages
When you're alone with someone, decide if you're attracted to them or not.
  • If you are, tell them why you can't be together and roll to shut them down, adding 1 to the roll.
  • If you're not, tell them all the things they've got going for them (to let them down easy) and roll to turn them on, adding 1 to the roll.

Precarious
When someone gives you a gift of another chance, give them a String.

Nap Fan
As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two below for the MC to detail. The MC will tell you when you wake up, and then tell you the details.
  • Something has been left for you
  • Someone unexpected is nearby
  • Someone's been trying to contact you
  • Something happened at home
  • Something has been cancelled
  • Something has been broken
  • You have a nice dream

Sex Move
When you scream out someone's name during sex, gain a string on them.

Darkest Self
You feel...you feel like a monster. What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand you that skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isn't supernatural, but you're gonna take it right to the line. You become that darkest self.

Backstory
Youlive next to someone; you bedroom windows face (or the Hogwarts equivalent). Choose:
  • You watch them through the blinds and they've noticed, each gain 1 string on one another
  • You leave your blinds up while you change, each gain 2 string on one another.

You made out someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 strings on you.

Tell me about one of your classes.

I signed up for Flying. Don't look at me like that; I know the class is supposed to be first-years only, and yes it is me and a bunch of 11-year-olds, but I've never had a chance to use a broomstick before. My people ain't supposed to need 'em, and they stopped teaching it at Lions a few years back cause of all the injuries. I'm not good at flying, not at all, but man is it fun.

Tell me about a secret you've discovered at Hogwarts.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so please don't spread this around, but not the only vampire on campus. The Potions professor, Sangforth, also bares the Mark of Cain. We recognize our own. She took me aside in private to assure me that the Headmaster was aware and that they had an arrangement, but that the campus might throw a fit if it became public knowledge. I never did get a chance to confirm this with the Headmaster, though.

Tell me about another student that's significant to you -- for good or ill.

Most of the students here got used to having a vampire among them pretty quick, but they don't always like it. The worst is this girl from Gryffindor (did I say that right?), Lenora Ravishwood. She fancies herself a monster hunter and thinks I'm hatching some kind of evil plot to, I don't know, convert the school or get the Headmaster in my thrall, or something like that. I've tried to assure her that no, I really am just as I appear, but she won't listen. She started sleeping with garlic under her pillow, which can't be fun for the other people in her room.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Janna Marsh, the Eldtritch (Versxi'stisfis'nashir the Doom of Ys)

If there ever was a placid island of ignorance in a sea of black it would be this loving school. Wizard, warlock, witch, it does not matter. They are all fools, playing with powers they can barely comprehend. Worse their white towers are even taller than those of the loving Mi-Go, opting to keep their gits away from the general populace. Would the Elder Things have created their pathetic species if they had kept the secrets of their technology away from the common Thing? No, of course not. One day the Muggles will realize what has been kept from them and will violently tear away this "magic". Maybe then this pathetic race will make its way to the stars.

Enough brooding, we are here to talk about me, yes? I was born in the far nebula of Zargon IX, close of the black center of creation. The songs of the pipers soothing the Daemon Sultan brought the lesser race on one of the planets to become a psychic gesalt, forming me. My true form would destroy the minds of men, so I'm stuck looking like a disgusting human "female". Look, I didn't know how human genders worked so it seemed like a good idea at the time. I certinaly didn't expect this race to be so...carnal. All these urges I'm getting, urgh.

I am forced into this form because we lost the war with the drat Elder Gods. Trust me, if Nodens hits you across the phantsamgormic terbancle you would flee to a back water too. My fall shook the earth, set the heavens afire, destroyed a human city beneath me and all that good stuff. After sleeping over that rather painfully landing for a couple hundred years I woke up and took this form. Unfortunately my awakening was during a rather unpleasant conflict in which a bunch of humans got angry at more powerful humans and started cutting off heads. The next few centuries were marked by multiple men getting angry at something or other and trying to conquer the world. The human "country" I woke up in, France, seemed to be the teeth kicking target for most of these attempts so I fled across the Channel and into England. There I learned more about the white tower of wizardry. Now Miss Marsh, fifth of her name by human records, will be entering this Hogwarts school. Joy

Oh, you want to know about this little pest? Really? Fine, here

Ugly little thing, isn- Wait, why are you making that awwwwww sound. Ugh, you can never account for human tastes. But really, this form is so gross and furry and eugh.
Now this one, this is his cute form

Lookit him! How could you say not to that face. All his little dimensional scrambles and bitey nibblers. Melts my heart faster than a Star Vampire, tell you what. Hes smart too, can track down someone with stolen goods through any point of four corners. Made sure my dorm had at least one corner like that, just for him.

The Eldritch posted:

Look: Stoic with vacant eyes
Origin: Exile
House: Ravenclaw

Hot: +1
Cold: +1
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Moves-

The Inscrutable – Choose one of the effects for spending a string. This effect cannot be used against or by you. If someone has the Unhinged condition strings may only be used for the selected effect against them

Mad Love - When you ignore reason or convention to Turn Someone On add “gain the condition Unhinged” to the options on a 7-9. On a ten they gain the condition unhinged.

Social apathy - Roll cold to run away from situations that don’t involve physical danger.

Backstory-

You're so above these plebeians. Though there was one person who impressed you with their intelligence, they gain two strings on you.

You’ve caused someone to doubt something they believed in, take a string on them.

-tell me about one of your classes

Defense Against the Dark Arts, most useless class I ever took. "Oh no, an evvvvvvvil wizard might use magic against you, heres some ways to nonlethally stop them." Professor Vladmir is an idiot, pure and simple. The black and white mindset of these people worries me, although the fools being taught here will never be able to truly show their prejudice. All we've learned how to do is to disarm and minorly inconvenience anyone out for blood. Awesome, thanks, try that against someone using my kind's magic, see how well that goes.

-tell me about a secret you've discovered at Hogwarts

I'm not the only one of my kind to come here, or at least some of our worshipers frequented this place. One of the side towers has a trapdoor disguised as a brick in its bottom floor. Underneath is a whole complex of rooms designed to hold both a cult and its object of worship. I've only explored the first two rooms, a library of eldrtich lore and a altar room, but I'm sure theres more. Strangely ever since I found it I've been seeing strange lights into the lake by the school. Perhaps some of the meremaids are descended from Dagonic stock.

-tell me about another student that's significant to you - for good or ill.

Ugh, the drat urges this body gets sometimes. So one of the Slyterin boys, the house full of racists, is a typical dreamy bad boy rear end in a top hat. After being a human for so long I should be over that kind of person but nope. Instead its a dream every other night about this leather wearing prick. Couldn't it at least have been a girl? That fits more with my own mind, I think. Christ, I don't even know his stupid name. I hate human emotions.

mcclay fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 3, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Rauri posted:

Second Questions
Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, The Werewolf
What's your favorite part about being an Animagus? About being a werewolf? Your least favorite?

Favorite things, hmm. As an Animagus, its definitely the freedom. I can do and go pretty much where ever I want when I'm transformed, and even if people see me, there isn't any way to tell its me. I can understand why the Ministry keeps such close tags on it, it'd be so easy to go mad with power and start stealing things, or spy on people to learn their secrets, follow someone around to freak them out about the big ol' wolf, even to kill people if you were so inclined, it'd be no trouble to escape detection, they can't even see the spell usage on a wand even, no trace at all.

For both, the heightened senses that come along with are ...kind of hard to describe... but a bonus. The sense of smell (and the others, but mostly smell) are so much stronger than a humans, they're almost like new senses entirely. You can smell the past of a room, whose been there, what they did, how they felt, and in the present you can smell emotions and sometimes even lies coming off of people, and you can almost always tell whose been snogging who, say. The enhanced senses can last even after I've transformed back, but they slowly fade back to normal, but gives me a lot of insight into the people around me. It also really helps leading a team when you can tell if someone is high strung or distracted, worried, exciting, all that.

For the werewolf.... this one is the upside and the downside really. When the moon forces my transformation on me, I'm still me, just.... with a lot less inhibition, a lot more animal rage, and a general desire to hurt people. I can resist it, sometimes. But the lack of inhibitions isn't always bad, it lets you have a lot of experiences you wouldn't normally. One thing that comes to mind is chasing down wild animals. As a human, I'd never dream of it, transformed as an Animagi, the thought occurs, but I don't want to, the desire to hunt an elk is pretty low, normally. And the idea of sinking my teeth into it, soaking up the blood and the satisfaction of a good kill isn't there at all. But as a werewolf, why not? And plenty of things are more enjoyable than that, but, its an experience I won't regret, even as a human.

The absolute worst part about both transformations is the lingering habits. I mean sure no one can see me lifting a leg when I sit down in the toilet, but its still embarrassing as hell! Or occasionally scratching myself totally in public without even thinking about it. Or growling at people. Sure most people make a growl once in awhile, but I do it way too often! Ugh. poo poo like that.

Rauri posted:

If you had to name three goals for the year, what would they be? Do you think you'll succeed in all of them? If you had to fail one to stand a chance at the others, what would you give up?

One: Win the Quidditch Cup. Uh, not entirely sure I even had to say that? Its pretty obvious. We've got a very good team already, and I'm going to be holding tryouts to see if I can find even better people, and backups. Can you believe no other captain has thought of training backups until now? Idiots.

Two: Win the Triwizard Tournament. This is probably the least certain event, there are a lot of bright candidates for this in the school this year, but if the Goblet picks me, I'm confident in my ability, and the ability of my friends to help me through any difficulties I have. More to the point, I'm confident in my person as the best possible choice in the school.

Three: Not get caught as a werewolf/animagus. This is preeeeeetty important. I'd put the Quidditch Cup behind this, though I'm not sure why it'd ever come to that, but for the Triwizard... if it gave me an advantage in one of the tasks... I might be willing to expose my ability to transform into an Animagus to win. There werewolf thing though I'd want to keep hidden. If it would win the tournament, maybe the stigma would be worth the fame and treasure that'd come from the victory? I don't know, it's certainly something I'll have to think long and hard about when I get in.

But all in all, I'm pretty confident I can keep this hidden. I managed to hide the werewolf thing all last year, my team might not be miles better than the competition, but no one has wildly superior brooms and I know my team is talented as hell, and we're going to work hard all year to make us all even better, and if I get in the tournament, I'll do everything I can to win, which is enough for me.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

First Questions

What's been the biggest difference between Kentucky and the UK? Between your home and Hogwarts? What's your most and least favorite things about living there?

What's the general reaction to you being a vampire? Is there anyone that clearly hates you? Someone that finds it a bit too cool?

Janna Marsh, the Eldtritch
What's your favorite aspect of life at Hogwarts? What do you find most boring? And what can you barely tolerate?

What classmate of yours seems to know some of the Secret Signs? How did you discover this? What do you think of their knowledge?

Second Questions

Valerie Easton, The Queen
Which member of your gang do you trust most? Why? Which do you think would be first to betray you? Have they ever tried anything before?

What do you think of the rumors of a Tri-Wizard tournament? What evidence that Something is afoot have you come across? Do you think you'd make a good champion?

Lee Gibson, the Unicorn
Have you ever actually managed to get your classmates to play football? Are there any that are still interested? Who's aggressively antagonistic towards your preferred sport?

What professor do you get along with well? What favor have they asked you to do for them? What did you think of their request to keep it secret? Do you intend to help?

Apps close in roughly five hours or so. Will do one last round of questions in a day or two, then make picks.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Rauri posted:

First Questions
Janna Marsh, the Eldtritch
What's your favorite aspect of life at Hogwarts? What do you find most boring? And what can you barely tolerate?

What classmate of yours seems to know some of the Secret Signs? How did you discover this? What do you think of their knowledge?

The library here is surprisingly well stocked on the stranger aspects of the occult. While most of the stuff about my folk is in the Restricted section you can still find interesting things in places open for regular students. The widespread knowledge of ghouls among the "enlightened" populace surprised me my first year, though their knowledge of the creature's true habits is laughable. Whats also laughable is most of the classes. Herbology is boring, History of Magic is propaganda and Defence against the Dark Arts is often just plain wrong. The only decent courses are Care of Magical Creatures and Study of Ancient Runes. Of course those would be better if I didn't have to take them with the other students. Grynffindor: vainglorious idiots; Slytherin: racists and cowards; Hufflepuff: gromless minions. Even Ravenclaw, the only decent one out of the lot, is like living in an ivory tower.

However, some of these idiots have gotten their hands on power beyond what the weak organs they call their brains can imagine. The whole school grounds is a place of power, a natural lodestone for magic. There are caves and tunnels both beneath and around the school that lead for miles, if you show the right symbol or have the right blood. One of these caves connects to the library of a long returned Yithian. It looks like a team of wizards found it and studied it but didn't remove any of the books for fear of damaging them. If I were a betting creature I'd put down good money on a good amount of the highly restricted books in the library being copies from here. A cross-house group of students found the entrance and by pure luck one of them has the blood of the Deep. They've set up a Cabal down there, sneaking out every weekend to go through the stacks and copy down copious notes. They are, however, not very subtle. One of them, a Jacob Malloery, sits in front of me in Defence against the Dark Arts and doodles Yithin symbols in the margins of his paper. Ever since then I've been getting into the library through the back entrance, Yithin paranoia at its finest, and have been watching them bumble about.

My estimation of their magical power? Chimps with fire arms. Pathetically hilarious to watch fumble about but with a hint of danger. Some of the Signs could cause some major damage not only to them but also to the school at large. There also the chance of them drawing the attention of the Yithin who used to own the place. As much as I hate this school I'd still rather prefer it not be burned down around me.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Rauri posted:

Valerie Easton, The Queen
Which member of your gang do you trust most? Why? Which do you think would be first to betray you? Have they ever tried anything before?

Excuse me, but "gang"? Are you implying something? Because we're not a gang so much as we are a very passionate non-sanctioned school club. We may not be star students, but we're not thugs.

Out of everyone I think I trust Erin the most. She and I have a connection: we can read each other the way (I assume) sisters can, and when we do sense something wrong we know how to help the other one feel better. Of course, that's more of a fire-forged friendship tempered over the years, but at its roots is a gesture of altruism.

She spoke to me. After the flyers and the trip to the headmaster, she approached me, sat down and started a conversation. That was the first time since the smear campaign, or even before then, that someone wanted to speak to me instead of about me, or at me. She was perfectly pleasant the entire time, even as my defense mechanisms kicked in and I systematically dismembered a wax figurine of the late Headmaster Severus Snape on the table in front of her. (I fixed him later, like I always do.) She's persistent, and she understood what I wanted. What more could I have asked for? She's my best associate.

Now obviously I need to mention that stunt Gilly pulled with Jackie (sometimes she still hee-haws for fun), but to be completely honest, that only makes me trust her more. Her power is being used to help me, and that's the sort of thing I respect. No, Martin is the dangerous one.

He's very ambitious in the Shakespearian sense. With alarming regularity he approaches me with sudden epiphanies of Utopian scenes he's envisioned for Hogwarts and how we would be ruling over all which, don't get me wrong, is very appealing to my baser prospects. But it's not how I see things: In a perfect world we would have the power to stamp out the oppression while protecting none but our own. We have... philosophical debates about the matter, and it seems like he doesn't respect my position as de facto leader when the Horsemen was my idea in the first place.

Seeing as we're all equal, he should understand his place and let me do the planning in the future.

Rauri posted:

What do you think of the rumors of a Tri-Wizard tournament? What evidence that Something is afoot have you come across? Do you think you'd make a good champion?

It makes sense for the school's sake. After hosting a series of tragedies it shows that we have recuperated and seek the glory we once held. And symbolically it simply makes sense that the Horsemen would usher in this new age of wizarding fame. We're fully in support of equal-opportunity events like this, and if one of the Horsemen won, the stigma would finally be shaken off and we could be seen as who were really are: heroes.

Of course, there's always rumors. The most prevalent is one in which, wonder of wonders, Lor--Pardon me, Lowdown Dirty Voldemort returns from his death, even when we have definitive proof that he's dead, causes destruction and we're right back where we started back in the age of the band Pulp. Remember them? Nobody admits it, but they do. What a sad pathetic world we would be in.

Another rumor is that the Horsemen would try to sabotage the tournament as the Death Eaters did, and that is blatantly false. We would be just as spirited as every other student, especially if one of our own was competing. We would do everything in our power to make sure they succeed, as opposed to the Death Eaters who sought to make everyone fail. Huge difference.

And this one's odd. Apparently if there's a Tri-Wizard Tournament, the Care of Magical Creatures professor will publicly boycott the whole thing because of the way dragons were treated the last time around. That doesn't interest me very much, but it's something to consider.

All in all, I'm not really the right candidate for the Tri-Wizard Tournament. That honor would go to Martin, being as he's the strongest and most physically capable--but don't be fooled. The Horsemen would all be winners if he won, because we would help him out immensely. His thinking is entirely spacial, which leaves us with the logical aspects of the tourney.

Plus, he really wants to have the title. Needs it. Craves it. And with me behind him, the potential we have. It's the kind of passion that can't be tamed except by my own hands! Ahahahahahaaa!

*cough*

Excuse me. That was rather brash, wasn't it.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Rauri posted:

Lee Gibson, the Unicorn
Have you ever actually managed to get your classmates to play football? Are there any that are still interested? Who's aggressively antagonistic towards your preferred sport?

What professor do you get along with well? What favor have they asked you to do for them? What did you think of their request to keep it secret? Do you intend to help?

Well.... yeah, I managed to get some people interested in football. Just... it's not... really how I imagined it. for one, I'm not even playing myself, because it wouldn't be fair, so I'm mostly just training them. I had the original idea it was gonna be like the Quidditch team, each House having their own team. House spirit and all that, right? Except I don't really have that much takers for it. A few folks who got a real interest in Muggle stuff, sporty types who just really don't like to do the broom thing. So, eh... mostly I've been playing Futsal, five on five. And we usually don't really have enough folks to really make teams according to Houses, so it's been mixed teams. I figured this was just how it was gonna be till we gained popularity but eh...

Look, you know all the rot about football being something that brings people together, rather than tear them apart, right? That shite nobody acutally believes? It's loving working here. It's nutters. Like it's one of the only things in this school a Gryffindor and a Slytherin can be on the same team.So, a lot of people who want to make some friends in the other Houses came and, well, everyone's real freindly. Oh, they got at it hard, but it's all 'well played' and 'you sure got me good there' and 'let's hang out.' And I mean. That's good, right? Just, you know, not... not like I imagined it. People aren't real serious about it. I mean, it's not like any of them can make a carreer, it's just... a fun thing to do and hang out with mates in a way they couldn't normally do. All right, I sound like a tosser whining about it. I'm happy running it.

Little problem though. See, there's one girl who's good enough I've actually taken the field against her if she's there to prevent a walkover. Sometimes even had her referee and train others if there were a lot of people there. Harriette Silverstride. Slytherin, even with that name. She's good, really good, in a Slytherin way. Especially on defense. She's focused, ruthless and actually seriously competitive. She scares the pants of the opposing team. Part of that is that she's on the Slyherin Quidditch team. a Beater too, with a rep for really accurate painful plays. Though I figure her playing football for years helped her become a better Beater. And here's the problem. She says she's getting tired of Quidditch, and she likes Futsal better. She's blown training to come play a few times. So I had the Slytherin team Captain Liam Drake corner me at some point telling me it was dirty pool trying to weaken their team like this, and he was gonna make me pay if I had her quit Quidditch. And if that wasn't enough ,the Gryffindor captain Harry Landon started telling me how they want to face the Slytherin at their best and he never asked for my help in anything. So they're both thinking I'm recruiting her to help Gryffindor win. I both told them I don't give a poo poo about loving Quidditch, which just pissed them off more and I don't think they believe me. Didn't tell Harriette about it. gently caress if I'm losing my best player over some Quidditch drama.

What professor do I get along well with? Wel, the Art Teacher is pretty alright. Mila Sirtanni. She's Italian. I don't get half what she goes on about. She's very arty. But she really likes a lot of Muggle art. Says the point of art is to challenge and defy convention and I'm doing that in my own way. I just took her class because it seemed pretty easy. I mean, painting and photos and shite. she asks me now and then to pose for some kind of painting she's making in my mugg... I mean, my normal clothing. Sure, I'll help. I don't know why she wants to keep it a secret. Maybe it's a surprise or some shite right?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Making picks in about eighteen hours.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Rauri posted:

First Questions

What's been the biggest difference between Kentucky and the UK? Between your home and Hogwarts? What's your most and least favorite things about living there?

What's the general reaction to you being a vampire? Is there anyone that clearly hates you? Someone that finds it a bit too cool?

First, there's all the little differences you'd expect going cross the ocean. There's different words for things, like "jumper" instead of "sweater" or "muggle" instead of "mundane", and it's disappointing not knowing anyone else who follows baseball or quodpot. I'm still not sure I understand the currency, but I think when the Veela I met at Hogsmeade station offered sixty Galleons for my hundred Eagles, I was taken for a ride. One thing that wasn't an issue, thankfully, is jet lag; being nocturnal in Kentucky is close enough to being awake during the day in Hogwarts that I didn't have any problem adjusting.

Really, the biggest adjustment is the bedroom situation. Hogwarts was kind enough to provide a coffin and even allow me to fill it with some real Kentucky soil, but in truth I've never had a roommate before, let alone a dozen. (Even at Lions Academy, a very charitable donation from my parents was enough to ensure I got one of the coveted single rooms.) I don't know how the other wizards can stand it. There's no privacy, so people are always snooping by when I'm, say, trying to write a letter to my folks back home, and I hate to imagine how I look before I've performed my morning ablutions. People in my room also have a nasty habit of slipping off their shoes with the laces still tied, and I just can't focus on anything until I get a chance to undo those knots.

Huh, looking back over what I wrote, I guess the real big difference is that the Sutton clan isn't here to help me out or give me a leg up. I think that's a positive, though; maybe I'll finally show my kin that I can do perfectly well on my own, without them always watching my back. Not that I'm not grateful for the assistance, but as one of my cousins explained it to me once, the Suttons like doing you favors while your young so you feel like you owe them when you're old, and of course our folk spend a lot longer in the second category than the first.

The general reaction from the other students here seems to be a calculated indifference. The Headmaster must've told everyone before I got here that wizards and vampires are not enemies and that I should be treated like anyone else. Most students don't want to confront me, at least not anytime an authority figure's around, but I do get a number of stares when they think I'm not looking, or whispered conversations they think I can't here. (Preternatural hearing's one of the boons of my heritage. The better to hunt with, but people get cagey when you mention that part.)

I am getting tired of answering questions about how I became a vampire though. I always say the same thing: "My mother was a vampire, and my father was also a vampire, and if you don't know what happened next it's not my place to tell you." The rituals of converting a mortal to a revenant are very well known, but they also tend to attract attention when, say, the hardware store owner is suddenly pale and gaunt and only goes out at night. These days, we find it easier to blend in if we stick to swelling our ranks the old-fashioned way. (In the States, at least. I've heard tell that in the old country, vampires are a bit...less concerned with avoiding attention, shall we say.)

My first thought was to say that Lenora Ravishwood, who I've discussed previously, clearly hates me, but that doesn't seem quite right. She's afraid of me, though she'll loudly tell you she isn't, on some level I think she's glad I'm here. Now she gets to play Van Helsing to a real vampire, when from what I've heard before the only "monster" she ever slew was a housecat that had not, it seems, ever transformed into a terrifying beast in the light of a full moon.

I think that one of the seventh-year Slytherin prefects, Ophidia Unger, really does hate me, but she'll never quite say it outright. She always takes a harsh line with me, and has docked me house points a few times for minor transgressions, such as having my shirt untucked or leaving my coffin open during the day. I know she's been cultivating a reputation for her prowess with the Dark Arts and I guess she assumes that I'm going to swoop in and automatically be the "darkest" wizard around. I didn't help matters early on when I came to the conclusion that her animosity was really just sublimated romantic attraction and when we were alone in the hall one night I tried to give her the whole "creatures of the night, what music they make" routine before planting a kiss on what turned out to be very unwilling lips. I think the only reason I didn't lose even more points is that she didn't want to tell anyone else about it.

On the other end of the spectrum is a Hufflepuff boy two or three years my junior by the name of Gregory Patch, though he likes to be called "Nighthawk". He paints his fingernails black and likes to sulk around talking about the pain and darkness in the world. His careful attempts at being disaffected can't stand up to the eagerness he has to be my friend, and his "subtle" hints that he dreams of spending eternity as a walking undead are anything but. I try to be nice, but to be honest, that enthusiasm for my way of life kind of gives me the creeps.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rauri posted:

Emily Brown, the Sasquatch
Has anyone been able to recall you for long? Does your family? If not, where do you stay during the summer months? Are you on any clubs or teams, even if they don't ever give you credit?

What aspect of your existence do you enjoy the most? What's been most inconvenient about your remarkable mundanity? How do you relax?

Yeah, I mean, some people remember me, at least a little. Like, when they see my face I can tell they recognize me and whatever. It's not like I'm bloody invisible, it's just... well, like, Mum and Dad, see. They smile when I talk to 'em, and they know my name, but like... I've got six sisters and I'm dead in the middle, so when I show up for summer holidays they don't even notice they've got other things to worry about. Like the youngest, Lisa, she's 11 and she's just got her letter, which is weird 'cause Mum and Dad are muggles so why do they have two witch daughters? And Mary's got this new boyfriend who's super rich, and Joanna's off at college, and so, yeah, it's fine that I sort of... blend into the background, right? I don't want to be a bother.

So I mean, I do my chores and study and try not to cause a fuss. Oh, and I make sure to leave notes around while I'm gone so's they don't turn my room into a or whatever. I'm fine looking after myself, it's fine. It's fine.

Course I say that, but summer before last I was feeling kind of pissed off cheeky, so I decided not to go home for the summer. You know, see if anyone noticed. Instead I sort of stowed away with my mate Rachel and stayed with her family for the summer. Now, it hurts to have somebody who should know you look at you like you're some sort of space alien, but it's almost as weird to have complete strangers just like, accept you, on account of they couldn't give a poo poo are too nice to worry about it. Her Mum just gives me that look everyone gives me, like: "Hm, could've sworn I only had the one daughter, forget my own head next" and then makes me up a bed, like she'd expected me all along but had just forgotten. Don't get me wrong, she's super nice just like Rach, she's an accountant or something. They live by the seaside so I got to spend the whole summer lying on the beach which was mad especially 'cause Rachel's brother is dead gorgeous. But I kept worrying about Mum and Dad, right, so after like a month I gave them a call, told 'em where I was. "Oh, having a good time are you?" 's all they said.

I'm sort of in two clubs, actually. Officially, well, nobody ever believes me when I tell them but I'm actually on the Quidditch team. I should like, carry around a bloody team photo just so's I can prove it. Just an outside Chaser so I don't get to do anything all that important; I mean honestly most of the game is just faffing about while the Seekers do the only job that matters, right? Once they didn't even print my ruddy name on the fliers, I nearly had it right out with the boy in charge figure it was just a mistake. I wanted to play as soon as I saw it but I figured it'd never work on account of somebody'd have to notice me first, right. But I made the mistake of telling Alice about it and she got me a spot on the team, probably as a laugh. Or 'cause having me around makes her look even better. Luckily I'm good enough at flying that I can just do my job and hopefully nobody'll get around to giving me the boot or anything.

The other club is maybe a bit less official. I'd say don't tell anyone but it's not like you're going to remember me telling you this anyway, is it? 's called the Thestral Society. You know, after the mad horse things what you can only see after you've seen someone die. Supposed to be this huge secret but I don't really know why, mostly we just go flying over the lake and around the castle. Which I love, there's just nothing better than whirling about the towers in the middle of the night while it's snowing. Only, see, here's the problem; I've never actually seen anyone, like, actually die. So whenever somebody points out a thestral I just nod and go "oh yeah mate look at the wings on that one" and hope nobody catches on that I can't see a bloody thing.

That's probably the best thing about my... what'd you call it, mundanity, yeah. No credit, yeah, but I don't get in trouble either, I can just bugger off to Rachel's for the summer or not do my homework or wander about after curfew and nobody cares. Kind of nice I guess.

Worst? When Lisa was born, well I wasn't there when it actually happened of course, but we all went up there right afterwards. And Mum looks at Dad, and at all of us, and she goes, "How lucky are we, to have these six beautiful daughters."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Alright, made my picks.

For Gryffindor,
Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, The Werewolf - Played by godfish
Lee Gibson, the Unicorn - Played by shogeton

For Ravenclaw,
Margaret (Maggie, Margot) McClellan, The Fates - Played by Life Gets Worser
Valerie Easton, The Queen - Played by Rather Watch Them

For Slytherin,
Gwendydd Teague, The Scion - Played by Kitty Empress
Erhard Weiss, The Angel - Played by Axe-man

For Hufflepuff,
Senna Avener, The Unicorn - Played by Jenner
Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine - Played by Ferrosol

If you didn't get accepted, I'm legit super sorry :cry:. Had to cap it at eight, which means a couple PCs I really wanted couldn't quite squeeze in. If anyone drops out / quits posting, you all have first priority on replacing them (provided you're still interested at that point.)

For those that did make it in though, it's backstory time! IRC is easiest for this, please make sure no PC ends up totally excluded. Since this game has an above average number of PCs, adding a background for everyone, to get some extra strings distributed.

_________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

We'll handle NPCs, highlights, and seats in your homeroom (probably Defense Against the Dark Arts) after we get backgrounds figured out. I'll also be meshing backgrounds (lots of duplicate professors right now, going to clarify who is actually teaching what) and setting up the NPC list and strings sheet in the next day or two.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

quote:

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

I'm thinking of Zachary or Valerie for this.

Kitty and I talked a bit and I'm going to take Gwendydd's Someone beat you at something - find out what it was, give them a string on you and take one on them. for Cana beating her at Quidditch or flying lessons. Which totally isn't why Gwendydd thinks Quidditch is stupid :v:

quote:

_________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

I was thinking Lee or one of the McClellan's for this, if either player thinks they fit, whoever would be the most likely to be wandering the castle/grounds and getting in trouble.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying
to learn from them what it means to
be human. Gain two Strings on them.

I was thinking Gwendydd or Valerie for this one. But if anyone else wants to chime in please feel free.

quote:

Your family seeks to control your
every move. The head of your family
gains two Strings on you.

Maximilian Bainbridge has a lot of secrets. Including the two big ones he's a secret Animagus and a secret former Death Eater who only barely avoided a trip to Azkaban. He tends to treat his disappointment of a son as an errand boy and flunky as his clear lack of talent leave him unsuitable for anything else.

quote:

Oh you mean the incident with Erhard and the Acromantula nest. Yeah I didn't know there was a nest of those creepy things in the grounds either. I'd just snuck back from one of Dad's errands when I ran into it. It would've had me if Erhard hadn't driven it off what was he doing out so late anyway?

GodFish posted:

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

I'm thinking of Zachary or Valerie for this.

I'd be fine with this for Zack

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

My backgrounds posted:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

I don't know what to think of Gwendydd Teague. I don't like judging and she and I have been friends, so to speak, since we first got in. Our owls get along, Pryas is always cozied up to Enid in the owlery preening her and such. We both agree it's cute. I wish we got along even half as well as our owls but Gwen is so brash. She treats everything like a game she has to win and she's always showing off. It is very brazen and to be frank a little off putting. It doesn't help that she seems to try even harder around me. But, maybe that's all in my head? She's not lacking for any attention from anyone really. But I... I think she wants me!
...What if I'm just another prize to her?

My backgrounds posted:

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I like Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, Cana to her friends. She's confident but not too arrogant. I go to almost every Quiddich match. It's a rough sport but I like to cheer for my friends and I have friends in every House. If I miss a match it's because I have class or another commitment. I always do my best to be there for my friends though and Cana is one of my friends! Except, earlier this week after a game I was at, Hufflepuff vs. Gryffindor, things went very different! It was a tight fought game and Gryffindor only pulled it out at the end by catching the Snitch. (This is called Harry Pottering, he apparently did this all the time.) After the game I congratulated Cana on her win and she pulled me off to the side. It was a semi-private alcove but I wasn’t concerned. Cana means me no harm and she wasn't gonna rub in her victory like Gwendydd would. (Grr! That woman!) I wonder what she wants to talk about all the same but I don't wonder long because she thanks me for being there then offers me the winning snitch.

I told her I simply couldn’t accept and she said, "Please take it, I love you. Um, I mean like you!" I was shocked, she loved me? How? Sure our owls were friends and we had a lot of classes together and we're usually partners in group projects but love me?! Gosh I had to take it! I didn't wanna hurt her feelings! I like her too but love? Oh dear. She must have noticed my hesitation because she told me I could give it back to her this weekend if I didn't want it. After our date at Hogsmeade. Oh gosh! I just agreed to a date!

So yeah! I always try to be there for my friends but I think Cana wants to be more than friends! What do I do?!

BONUS:

Rauri posted:

________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Maggie McClellan and I were just exploring the grounds trying to find her cat together. We wound up wandering pretty far off the beaten path and we weren't being quiet. We spooked some massive elk and the rest of his herd quite on accident. Maggie must have seen something in that (she's really good at that kind of thing) because she warned me that we were about to encounter a conflict. Well, I knew better than to question her on this stuff (she's really gifted) but I still wanted to help her find her cat! I figured it was best to heed her warning and take our search elsewhere. However, as I started to veer back towards campus a hunting party of irate centaurs enclosed us! (It's kind of neat that Maggie can predict these things!) They were quite cross with us, I thought it was probably because we frightened away their game. They began to berate us and Maggie had a huge personality shift and got really protective!

It was a tense encounter but together the pair of us managed to reason with them and diffuse the conflict. Maggie and I made a great team! It turns out the centaur were more upset about our wandering so dangerously deep into the wood (something about not wanting to get involved in 'wizard drama' ever again) than anything else we did. So we apologized for the inconvenience and the centaur helped us find her cat and even escorted us back to the school grounds safely. I think we made some neat friends!

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 8, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

quote:

Someone has relied on your advice and warnings. Gain 2 strings on them.

It's most likely not very much of a shock to learn that my fellow Ravenclaws have been the most receptive to my Sight. I suppose that's only to be expected of the House that most values knowledge. For the most part, it's pep talks - yes you'll pass that class, of course you'll out-duel that Hufflepuff, no the Slytherin won't mock YOU of all people - that sort of thing. A few though, get more interesting visions - those who lead more interesting lives, I suppose. Of those, Valerie Easton has listened the best, I think. It might help that I've given her a hint that she'll discover a new spell - something that will be of use for many wizards after she verifies the formula and codifies it.

I...didn't mention to her that the spell isn't the sort that...reputable...wizards will use. I thought it best she didn't know, she seems very concerned with her reputation, after all. And she always has those friends of hers with her, not really the sort of people I'd be keen on upsetting.

quote:

Your fatalism and dire prognostications have irked some people. One someone gains 2 strings on you, or two someones gain 1 string on you each.

For the most part, the other houses aren't too fond of a Seer meddling in their affairs. Some people even go so far as to question the validity of my Sight! Take the Slytherin Gwendydd Teague for example. I told her quite simply that she shouldn't be so full of herself or someday soon someone was going to get fed up with her and she accused me of being a charlatan! Ridiculous, considering I wasn't even forecasting when I told her so. Now though, I hope I get a vision to confirm what I said, even if only so I can laugh about it to myself.

There are other people, sometimes, who are so steeped in the past that to bring up a future - even a certain one - causes them discomfort. And it makes my visions the sort of thing that are more metaphor than fact, a lot of the time. Zachary Bainbridge is one such individual. I don't bear him any ill-will, honestly! I simply said that he can't shed his skin as simply as he'll hope he can, and he blew up at me! Quite surprising, coming from a Hufflepuff. I don't know what about the phrase would tick him off like that, I mean, he isn't a Slytherin. But that's what I saw, him, trying to shed his skin like a snake and unable to get all the way free of it. A pretty disturbing vision, actually.

quote:

Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld and I have been in Divination together for a while, and I'm not certain what to make of her - she lacks what I would consider the Sight but she has a sort of intuition that seems almost instinctual that is, while entirely different, impressive in it's own way. Regardless, she's nice enough, not that I spend a lot of time with her otherwise being that she's a Gryffindor and I'm a Ravenclaw, but she's a good Quidditch player and I haven't seen anything bad in her future; just contradictory things.

One day we were working on alternative fortune-telling and the Professor asked us to pair up, and Cana and I ended up pairing up together. We were supposed to perform the augury on a specific subject in the future (if you must know, it was the outcome of a duel, not that we ever found out the proper outcome) We decided we were going to summon a spirit to tell us the outcome, which, again would be silly in normal circumstances since I could just invoke a vision normally myself, and I don't think Cana would have any trouble using her own talents, either. But that was the assignment and I suppose it's good to be well-rounded. Well, neither of us are very good summoners or maybe we just picked a bad place on the grounds to do it - Cana was kind of insistent on a spot in the woods at night, and being Maggie at the time I didn't particularly care so long as it was interesting, so, there we were.

The spirit that we summoned wasn't very forthcoming about sharing the outcome of the duel with us, but it did try to hijack our bodies. It tried me first, and it felt like every cell in my body was on fire for a few moments, and I remember just continually shifting from Maggie to Margot to Margaret to Maggie and on and on and screaming and almost passing out before it got ejected somehow, sneering about my being "too crowded." Before Cana could do anything it tried the same thing with her and I was in too much pain and shock to see what happened clearly but she screamed too, except it sounded almost...inhuman somehow. The spirit sounded frustrated and said she was no good either, and then it vanished. Hopefully, back to wherever it came from and not to...wherever else.

We...gathered what strength we could and got the hell out of there. For a day or two I wasn't even sure who I was out of my normal options, I guess I was still in shock. And Cana seemed grumpy, too. It was the only assignment I've ever failed in Divination. I still like Cana just fine, but we're...cautious about each other now. I don't know what the spirit meant about her being unsuitable...and I wonder if she feels the same way about me?

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Valerie Easton, the Queen

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

Gibson Lee is a seedy little boy with a reputation. He's been sent to detention more times than three of us can count (Gilly says seven times a year on average), but he acts altruistic as if he has a conscience. How does he keep his head above water when the slightest infraction gets the four Horsemen under surveillance. What's his secret?

This is exactly the kind of hypocrisy that causes suffering for those of us raised in unstable households. We sons and daughters of Death Eaters are needlessly put down while people like Lee can gallavant around causing Gryffindor ill without as much as a slap on the wrist? I'll get to the bottom of it. All students deserve to be equal. No exceptions.

quote:

_________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another

Thinking Cana for this.

Ferrosol posted:

I was thinking Gwendydd or Valerie for this one. But if anyone else wants to chime in please feel free.

I think Valerie is the perfect choice for figuring out how "real people" act.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Gibson Lee, The Unicorn

quote:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Possibly Cana H. Lobos wants to take my balls. No, wait, I mean the footballs Gibson brings along to play. Gibson luring away a start-Quidditch player from team-Slytehrin pissed off the Gryffindor captain, and a few of the recruits she has her eyes on might be having good times with Football. And Gibson would not react with grace to requests to encourage people to drop football to play 'that posh broomriding shite'

quote:

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Hmm, who'd be a character likely to fall for the bad-boy? Don't immediately have an idea.

quote:

For this I was thinking Gwendyd (and he was thinking of me too, so that works) I was thinking that it might be a relatively disreputable thing. Something that wouldn't really end up in points going for Gryffindor. An idea I had was that someone had their wand broken, and didn't have the money to fix it. And, what do you know, Lee knows a fence. Might be even when your gang was still all together. A little bit of Hogwart's 8? Of course, if one of us picks this, the other one has to pick someone else. Wait, confusing characters. Let me rethink that. Gwendyd does not sound like she'd get involved in larceny.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 7, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Current postulation:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Lifegetsworser - confirmed

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Jenner - confirmed

Currently Ferrosol confimred : Dark forest, spiders, doom guys

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 7, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

All right, some ideas for Capers.

One idea I have is that somebody was in a situation where they direly needed money. (broken wand, family debts suddenly having financial problems) Lee and [other character] get up to some larceny, and actually steal something not too dangerous as far as they can tell, and go sell it to the goblin Gibson knows. Some amount of trust there, and both characters knowing of each other they've got enough dirt on each other they will never turn snitch on one another.

Also, here's an idea.

"Alright. So, remember two years ago. When everyone got really lovely and depressed? Dementor in Hogwats. Yeah, again. I was just getting lost again, when I heard sobbing. I don't stand for that, innit? So I go find it, and there's this Hufflepuff Senna girl, leaning over some other unconscious Hufflepuff girl. Big shade looming over her. Weird thing, it seemed to try to want to get closer to the unconscious girl, but couldn't quite make it. Now, seein' girls getting messed with like that, just sets me off, right? So I fuckin' spell I could remember at it, and it's just coming at me. So then, I just got loving pissed and took a swing at it. Weird thing is I loving hurt it too. Thing looked as surprised as me. So it grabbed me, and I grabbed it, and I'm shouting curses that ain't got nothin' to do with dark magic, right? But it's not feeling good.

Then the girl just stands next to me says I shouldn't do things in anger. Can you believe that poo poo? But then, I figured anger never feels good for me. So I just took a breath and calmed down. And suddenly, the Dementor wasn't doing jack poo poo except writhe in my grip. Though I think the Senna girl got somewhat to do with it too. Headmistress McGonagall herself showed up. Senna girl seemed to want to avoid any attention, and I don't wanna snitch, so when she didn't really go into detail about the 'she kept the Dementor of the other girl for a bit', I didn't clarify. Headmistress pretty curious about me. Asked me to keep mum about the whole thing. Which I did. Gryffindor got a shiteton of points for it though."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 8, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Shogeton posted:

Gibson Lee, The Unicorn

quote:

Possibly Cana H. Lobos wants to take my balls. No, wait, I mean the footballs Gibson brings along to play. Gibson luring away a start-Quidditch player from team-Slytehrin pissed off the Gryffindor captain, and a few of the recruits she has her eyes on might be having good times with Football. And Gibson would not react with grace to requests to encourage people to drop football to play 'that posh broomriding shite'

I'm always on the lookout for talent, which is the main reason I've been watching Lee's groundball practices. Granted, most of the people who join up with him are kids who can't make the cut for Quidditch, but occasionally someone turns up who'd be a star if they seriously tried, but just never thought they'd have the chance. One of those, I think, is Lee himself. He's athletic as hell, and has the perfect build for a chaser. To top it off, those kick fake outs would, with a little modification, work amazingly mid air, no one expects you to use your feet at all, and the general skill it takes is something a lot of people lack, but he has down pat. And smacking it with your head? Genius. He's never seemed very interested in Quidditch before, but I'm going to have a word with him soon and talk him over. If not a main team chaser, he'd make an excellent backup, and I wouldn't mind letting him keep is groundball club going either.

quote:

I've been watching Zachary rather closely lately. It all started when I came across him out in the grounds one night- I was a wolf, he was a human- luckily not the full moon. He was coming back from the woods, looking really furtive and anxious, and smelling even more. I followed his trail back and found a package with a vial of unicorn blood in it. The scent, unlike most blood, smelled foul, enough to make me back away without doing any more investigating it, and I could barely smell anything else for ages after that. His own scent though was... not happy about it. I don't know where he got it from or why he left it there, he definitely didn't kill a unicorn himself, but... it was worrying. Aside from that, after I started keeping a nose on him, I noticed he tended to slip out into the grounds fairly often- nowhere near as much as me, but enough that he might be out on a full moon, so I've been even more careful to track him, to see if I can find a pattern in his movements so I'll know if I have to be extra careful. They seem to happen most often after he gets letters from home (I think its his home, that one is hard to tell) and he usually smells different.

quote:

Gwendydd: Someone beat you at something - find out what it was, give them a string on you and take one on them.
I'm sure she's full of some story about how Quidditch is dumb, and blah blah true skill is dueling or something blah blah. But the truth is, during the flying lessons in our first year, she never managed to beat me, no matter how hard she tried, because I was always trying just as hard. So now she pretends to -not hate, that'd be giving it too much respect- but think its beneath her, too little of a way to show off her talents. But I know better. And she'll always have to know that I'm better than her at it, and I know it drives her crazy.

quote:

Gwendydd and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Speaking of Teague, I might have sounded a bit harsh there, but I don't hate her or anything, I'd say we don't usually get along, mainly since she just tends to be really obnoxious about being really full of herself and showing off a lot of the time and I like to needle her about stuff whenever I can. I'm not entirely sure if she hates me or enjoys our aggressive friendship thing we have going, because she keeps coming back for more, and she usually can give as good as she gets as far as hard times go.

Anyway, one night a bunch of us were out having a party in the forest, fire, drinking, the whole deal. Well, someone ratted us out to the teachers, and they showed up to bust the party up and we all scattered. I ended up running off with Teague, taking a couple of the bottles of the best stuff with me. We could hear someone following us, but then she did a perfect concealment spell on the small glade we'd ended up in, and we saw the teacher pass literally feet away from us, without seeing or hearing a thing. It was great! We ended up finishing the bottles I had in celebration, and I had to lead us back since we were both rather drunk, but I knew the woods a lot better than she did. It was a good night out though.

quote:

Senna: Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Taking this, will elaborate more later.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

quote:

Valerie and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Okay, so, don't blame me and uh, I'm pretty sure we shouldn't blame Val even if she's like kinda... You know. Evil? Look, lets just jump to the point that I'm pretty sure I'm like, one of five students with the knowledge to do what happened, and she's not one of those five. So if I didn't do it, and she's not smart enough to do it, it wasn't us. But I'm pretty sure we saw a basilisk. Like, the death gaze frog-chicken-snake, that kind of basilisk. But I mean it wasn't like, full grown or anything.

Let me start at the beginning, see me and Val got detention because I went off on a kid for trying to correct me I was correct and he admitted it, and Val because I think she was like, discussing how the whole voldermort thing was a hoax or something? Either way I'm sure it was super offensive, most of the thing she says seems to be to someone. And fitting with our amazing schooling system, we got tasked with cleaning out the dungeons and making sure that like, no critters had taken up residence.

So we got through the night mostly safe, and with no big problems, until we got to like the deepest parts, where suddenly everything was like already dead. In the surprise of a loud noise, my fire spell dropped and we got stuck ik the dark - I don't know what happened, but when I felt something big - like, against my hip big - run into me that felt like it wasn't walking? I didnt try to relight the flame.

But what else doesn't walk and kills tons of things without leaving a trace of violence?

quote:

You wowed someone in the past with your talents - take two strings on them.

Zachary is like, really easy to impress. I mean,I am impressive, but with him it almost felt sad? He's a Hufflepuff so I mean I guess it's fitting that he act like one, but honestly - even a hufflepuff should have some dignity.

Regardless, during a rather... Intense period where I angered the - at the time - head boy last year, Zach and I had the honor of truly meeting. He obviously resented the boy, but didn't act on it - while I happily took to the challenge, and faced him down - despite him being nearly a foot taller. See height is a sad thing, because it just doesn't matter when you're dueling with magic.

I think Zach is the only one who even remembers that duel of mine.

quote:

You stand out - give everyone a string on you

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Since backgrounds are done, time to place NPCs. You'll assign highlights to another PC with your first post of the gamethread, who assigns for who will be answered therein.

Here's the NPC sheet. If something's blank - or I've left a space for you all to provide info - please fill it in. Full disclosure: I got lazy after a few hours of working on it, and that's why those blanks exist.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o_qkk6wbKm2wj3izYO2YMiGVP8VFqonOujDjPYiQKJ0/edit?usp=sharing
Editing in Strings Sheet momentarily.

pre:

|<Door          [Prof Legate]         Windows>|
|                                             |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]        [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]        [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|              [Practice Area]                |
|_____________________________________________|
The "homeroom" class is going to be Defense Against the Dark Arts, with Professor Legate. She teaches all the 6th years taking DADA, all in mixed classes as well. Please place your characters, along with two NPCs (preferably ones that already exist, but feel free to make new ones up if you think the class could use some drama or you've got a great idea) to the seating chart.

Once we're done with placing NPCs, I'll throw the gamethread up. Going to ask that people put their character sheets in their first posts in that thread, and keep them updated with advances and moves as selected. A statblock at the top of your post is required too, with nameplates highly encouraged.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
pre:

|<Door                   [Prof Legate]         Windows>|
|                                                      |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]        [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]        [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|                       [Practice Area]                |
|______________________________________________________|
Placing Brittany Smith and Alyssan White (Lessy), one of Cana's chasers and her best friend respectively

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I still need someone to have confessed their love to Lee. There was someone in the channel who mentioned it, but I forgot who.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
pre:

|<Door                   [Prof Legate]                    Windows>|
|                                                                 |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]        [Chelsea]  [        ]  [  ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]        [       ]  [Erhard  ]  [  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [  ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [  ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]  [  ]  [       ]  [        ]  [  ]   |
|                       [Practice Area]                           |
|_________________________________________________________________|
Adding Ravenclaw Victoria Krum; and Hufflepuff Chelsea Nix

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Shogeton posted:

I still need someone to have confessed their love to Lee. There was someone in the channel who mentioned it, but I forgot who.

It was LifegetsWorser, (Mags, Margot or Maggie), you never answered which aspect you thought would fall for him.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

pre:

|<Door                      [Prof Legate]                       Windows>|
|                                                                       |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]             [Chelsea]  [        ]  [   ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]             [       ]  [Erhard  ]  [   ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [       ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [   ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [Erin ]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [        ]  [   ]   |
|                          [Practice Area]                              |
|_______________________________________________________________________|

Added trusted Horsemen Gillian Sothe and Erin Noctis.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
pre:

|  [    ]  [Glenda]  [Senna]        [Chelsea]  [    ]  [    ]     |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]        [Chaucer]  [Erhard  ]  [  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [  ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [  ]   |
|  [   ]  [   ]  [ Erin ]  [Valerie][Gillian]  [    ] [   ]       |
I'm bad at ASCII art.
Senna sits right in front like the good student she is.
Glenda Murphy sits next to her friend and fellow Hufflepuff, she's recently broken up with her girlfriend Brittany Smith and is being catty about it
Chaucer Umstead a Gryffindor sits next to fellow Gryffindor Erhard. He's a loud mouth and a bully. One of those kinds of Gryffindor who think they're the poo poo and can do no wrong 'cause they're in Harry Potter's House.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 9, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
pre:

|  [    ]  [Glenda]  [Senna]        [Chelsea]  [    ]  [    ]     |
|  [Althea][Byron]   [     ]        [Chaucer]  [Erhard  ]  [  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [Mags]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [  ] |
|  [   ]  [   ]  [ Erin ]  [Valerie][Gillian]  [    ] [   ]       |
The Mags is sitting in the middle because she can hear everything.

I only have two workable npcs for this, so! Althea Deline, the singer with the pretty eyes and Byron Welch, the friendly Potionsmith are hanging up and to the left.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
pre:

|<Door                         [Prof Legate]                      Windows>|
|                                                                         |
|  [      ]  [Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [        ]  [  ]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [     ]             [Chaucer]  [Erhard  ]  [  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [ Mags  ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [  ]   |
|  [      ]  [      ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [        ]  [  ]   |
|                             [Practice Area]                             |
|_________________________________________________________________________|
Redid the seating chart because, it looked sloppy, I learned to program on FORTRAN, sorry old habits die hard.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

pre:

|  []  [Glenda]  [Senna]        [Chelsea]  [ Angela  ]  [    ]    |
|  [Althea][Byron]   [     ]        [Chaucer]  [Erhard] [     ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [Mags][ ]  [Victoria]    [    ]     |
|  [ ]  ]  [   ]  [ Erin ]  [Valerie  [Gillian]  [ Zach][Harriet] |
Zachary lurks at the back of the room where hopefully no one can ask him questions

The fact that he's conveniently close to fellow Hufflepuff Harriet Jones doesn't have anything to do with it. and no he doesn't have a crush on her... well not much of a one

Angela Birkham inhabits a desk a few rows in front of him and is pretty much the classic member of her house brave arrogant and always willing to try new things.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
pre:

|<Door                         [Prof Legate]                           Windows>|
|                                                                              |
|  [      ]  [Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [ Angela ]  [       ]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [     ]             [Chaucer]  [ Erhard ]  [       ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [  Mags ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [       ]   |
|  [      ]  [      ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [Zachary ]  [Harriet]   |
|                                                                              |
|                             [Practice Area]                                  |
|______________________________________________________________________________|
I decided to help out Ferrosol

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 9, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Axe-man posted:

pre:

|<Door                         [Prof Legate]                           Windows>|
|  [      ]  [Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [ Angela ]  [       ]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [     ]             [Chaucer]  [ Erhard ]  [       ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [ Mags  ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [       ]   |
|  [      ]  [      ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [Zachary ]  [Harriet]   |
|                             [Practice Area]                                  |
|______________________________________________________________________________|
I decided to help out Ferrosol

Axe's Boggart is definitely bad ASCII Art.
thank you

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
pre:

|  [      ]  [Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [ Angela ]  [Lizbeth]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [ Gwen]             [Chaucer]  [ Erhard ]  [       ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [  Mags ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [       ]   |
|  [Melanie] [      ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [Zachary ]  [Harriet]   |
Kitty asked me to post for her but she made these choices:
"Put Gwen behind Senna, gotta keep watch of the girl that belongs to her."
Then agreed that Melanie Trix of House Slytherin and Lizbeth Follie of House Ravenclaw would be best.

Melanie is "a muggle-born Slytherin" who doesn't have much talent in Magic but is a bit of a Gwen fangirl. "She is extremely good with potions and herbology." She sits in the back left to properly yandere at Gwen.
Lizbeth Follie is one of Gwen's rivals, they got off on the wrong foot right on the train and have been competing against each other ever since. Lizbeth is always looking for ways to outshine Gwen and sits up front by Angela.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 10, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QYWrj_FeIX67X32RCFvyLPsVyWSTtOjwFNL9Ap97QK8/edit#gid=0 Strings Sheet!

Will place NPCs into seating chart soon, editing that in here.

Working on the gamethread, should be up tomorrow evening.

If you've any backstory fiction to edit in / details to hammer out, now's the time.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

Cana and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Martin, as you may know, is a Quidditch player first and foremost. Because of that, he's usually away for practice and... extra practice. That Cana gal is quite the captain with all the ambition of, well, myself. So when Martin gave me the "Horse Call" during practice, I had no idea what to expect.

When I came to the field on my broom around sunset I heard shouting and saw dear Martin sprawled out on the lawn. I heard it all from Cana: another set of Bludgers was tossed out of the stands and sought him out. I followed Cana as we looked for evidence of tampering. The storage room had been unlocked after being dispelled of its protective charm, but left a damning clue in the form of a reddish brown tuft of fur. Cana panicked immediately, but I understood the situation completely. It had to be a werewolf.

So we stalked and prowled trying to find more distinguishing marks, like claws or paw prints, and finally we caught it in the halls.

It was actually Martin's cat, Growley, after he forgot to re-apply the Anti-Alohomora Charm, or lock the door... So Growley knocked over a Bludger box and knocked him out.

We told him it was a werewolf when he came to. Now he locks the drat door. Lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

quote:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Mags has an eerie certainty about her that is the unmistakable taste of fate, divine providence at work, though she doesn't know it, she has attracted the attention of more than just mortals upon her, and yet she wears it like a cloak. She is unstable to talk with normally, at times, I feel she is almost a different person. I watch her knowing that her very foot steps lead her to an undeniable and irresistible fate, and those that she gets close too will find themselves either swept along, or cast aside.

quote:

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Every once in a while there is a person whom you see as home, maybe they remind you of someone, or maybe even someplace, and for me, Senna is one of those people. Her very appearance and the way she acts reminds me of heaven, both the light, and glory but also the mindlessness and the rules. There is no compromise no middle ground there is just The Word, and that is all. That is what caused a simple question, a question in this case of inaction compared to action, of justice instead of chaos that lead to me to the path I am now on. I think she knows it too, and I fear it shows on my face more than it should.

quote:

It was a normal night and my wandering had strayed further from the garden that had been my home for many a night. Some might say that it was a foolish thing to do, but I figured another detention couldn't hurt too bad compared to the monotony of ritual and routine that my garden was. There was some peace and serenity in that garden, but one could not always last in a garden could they? My wandering came to the grounds itself rather than the halls, after all teachers stalked them from time to time, but the grounds for the most part other than my "friend" from that faithful evening.

Zachary the Hufflepuff was wandering around looking like he was returning from something in a hurry. I wasn't able to figure out what, though I suppose following his trail back could have lead me to him, but rather, on the edge of the forest there was something else lurking and watching. It had more than just two eyes, and all of the black beady eyes were staring at him. I gave a yell, and he turned and looked like I had caught him with his hand in a candy jar.

There was going to be blubbering, I could tell, but the spider dropped from the trees and landed next to him, a wave of my wand, "Arania Exumai!" I said assertively and the bolt raced through the air hitting the spider in its head. There was a hiss and it retreated injured but not destoried, I moved forward to the Hufflepuff and took him by the shoulder.

"Get out of here quickly there are more in the trees, a whole nest of them." I said as I watched him run toward the school. I walked swiftly behind him, scanning the trees for more forbidding spiders. "I'm not a perfect, and I don't care why you were out there, but the Forest... the forest isn't a place to explore." I pushed him along and gave a slight worried look in the direction of the forest, he wandered off toward his home room and I mine.

I decided that a bit of comfort and solitude is exactly what I needed rather than larger mysteries that would remain unsolved tonight.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 10, 2015

• Locked thread