Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harry Potter and the Gaze Into the Abyss.

Letter from HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY posted:

Dear ,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for your NEWT level studies. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books, preparation, and equipment. Please obtain them no latter than July 5th, when the Hogwarts Express departs from King's Cross Station.

As you are a sixth year student, certain things are expected of you. Pursuant to your continued education at Hogwarts, please see the following are put in order in your return letter.

Sixth-year students will require:
  • Backstory / Introductory fiction about themself.
  • Completed character sheet, chosen from Skins listed latter in this letter.
  • Answers to these prompts: tell me about one of your classes, tell me about a secret you've discovered at Hogwarts, tell me about another student that's significant to you - for good or ill.
  • And lastly (and optionally) a suggestion for the game thread title.

Skins
The following Skins will be acceptable for study at Hogwarts this year: *Due to damage suffered during a mysterious accident last year, classes on The Ghoul are unavailable this year.

Other Equipment Notes
Background fiction should mention things like: When did I learn I was a wizard or witch, or have I always known? What type of wand do I have? Do I like being a witch or wizard? How do I get along with other kids? Am I muggle born, half blood, pure blood, or don't care one bit about the whole idea? Do I have a pet? Have I ever used this patronus? Am I having a hard time with some subjects? What do I excel at? Basically, write a teenager who is a witch or wizard (and probably a monster on top of that!), not a supernatural creature that just happens to be a teenager.

Students may also bring, if they desire, any of the following: a picture, theme music, etc.

Harry Potter took place years ago - it's 2015. While you're welcome to incorporate elements of the canon into your character, please be aware there's a new headmaster and an almost entirely different staff at Hogwarts!

Everything, from Skin selected to the specifics of different rolls made in-game, can be reflavored to be more Harry Potter themed. Use your imagination, things are set in a new time-period and not back during the book years in order to increase everyone's creative freedoms. Roll to lash out flavored as a Bat Boogey Hex? That's great. Vampire changed to Veela? Also great! Please don't feel constrained if you're not that familiar with the books or movies, either.

----------

Six to Eight of you that write letters back will be accepted this year. Characters of any House will be accepted, but if you don't want to describe the one you're in, that's fine - you'll be sorted upon your arrival. Applications will close the 5th of July.

Yours sincerely,

Rauri

Headmaster

Hogwarts is a school where lots of dangerous and dramatic things happen, the Professors aren't quite up to the task of keeping an eye on all the students, and snoggings abound. As such, it's a perfect setting for a Monsterhearts games! If you're not familiar with Monsterhearts, the reference books are available here. Basically, you roleplay a crappy teenager that's also got to worry about being a secret monster on top of everything else. Poor decisions and drama abound, and it's a lot of fun! I'll be accepting what I feel are the best 6-8 applications, and if that includes someone that's never played before, that's great!

Part of the appeal of Monsterearts is that it deals with teen and social issues - that does mean however that things like racism, sexism, homophobia, teen sexuality, physical / emotional abuse, etc. can all come up. If you're not sure about a post, please discuss it with myself or others in #swampthings before posting it. If you have an issue with the tone or content of a post, please let me or the person who wrote it know - again, everyone's well-being is more important than this game, and the intent isn't to upset anybody.

This is intended to be a fairly active thread, with MC posts coming roughly once per day. Please be available to post roughly once a day as well. If anything comes up or you're having problems writing posts or getting inspiration, please talk to me either by PM or IRC and we'll arrange something. If you don't have PMs and you're not willing to join IRC, I'd recommend against submitting a character.

Credit to godfish for running the original thread / massive amounts of inspiration for this one, and Rather Watch Them for the current thread title.

Ok that's all great, but what do I need to submit?
Some basic info on your character, your character sheet, and a response to these prompts: Tell me about one of your classes, tell me about a secret you've discovered at Hogwarts, tell me about another student that's significant to you for good or ill.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

First Questions

Margaret (Maggie, Margot) McClellan, The Fates
Has there ever been a time you've wished to not be, well, you three? What's something you've foreseen you've tried to prevent? Have you ever been successful in averting fate for yourself or others before?

Do all three of you always get along? Is there anything you've ever disagreed on? Who won the argument, or is it ongoing?

Gwendydd Teague, The Scion
Wow, you're a big fan of yourself, aren't you? What do you think of those that dislike you, either for who you are or what you've done? Is there anyone that remains a foe no matter how constantly you've impressed them?

A Patronus is symbolically representative - what's yours? What do you think it means about you? You can cast it, right? What other difficult spell have you mastered, and who else knows it?

Senna Avener, The Unicorn
Tell me about a time that words alone were enough to change someone, or put a stop to something bad. Then describe another where you had to use your wand. What would you have done differently in hindsight?

Being as accepting and friendly as you are - and a true Hufflepuff - you have to have made friends others would have overlooked. Tell me about two of them. Which of them are you still close to? Why did the other drift apart?

Octavia Rookwood, the Heir
Which of the New Marauders are you most worried about, and which has you looking over your shoulder the least? Are there any you're still close to, or has your group all but drifted apart?

Since the incident, what's the worst thing a classmate has said to you? A Professor? Is there anyone that's treated you with new found sympathy? Could you use them against to protect yourself from the New Marauders?

Valerie Easton, The Queen
I can't imagine a group like yours doesn't have its share of enemies. What's the worst thing you've ever done as a group against one of them? When did one of your enemies put one on over on you? Is there any professor you suspect of being sympathetic to you?

What talents and knowledge do you and your group possess due to your backgrounds that your classmates lack? Have you ever put them to use? Why or or not?

Yggh'lymth (Yuno Limith), The Eldritch
What have you managed to get wrong about social norms that used to be right? What have you inadvertently gotten wholly correct? What do you find oddest about life at Hogwarts?

What do others think of your strange views? Is there anyone that seems to suspect there's truth to your words? Is there anyone that seems to suspect there's something more to you?

Erhard Weiss, The Angel
What do you enjoy most about being at Hogwarts? What do you find most frustrating? What mistake do you see your peers keep making that you wish you could stop? What virtue do they typically exhibit you can't quite manage?

Dangerous things often happen at Hogwarts, and you've managed one already. What happened, and who was to blame? How did you handle the situation, and would your creator approve?

Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, The Werewolf
What aspect of Quidditch was Harry bad at that you've actually mastered? When did that come in handy during a match? What's your "style", basically? What's the most irritating bit of Quidditch advice to get from other people?

Roaming the grounds so much for night, supposedly "chasing guys"... tell me about a time that's lead to snogging? And another time it nearly got someone killed? Is there anyone you wish you could tell about your condition?

Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine
What request have your parents made that you're considering? Is it the worst thing they've ever asked you to do? If not, what was? When was the last time you did as they bid, and what reward did they manage to send you?

What's your favorite part of being at Hogwarts? Are there any extracurricular clubs or groups you're in? What's something you'd change about the Hufflepuff common room, if it was up to you?

Jacob Grimes, The Mortal
Wow, that all sounds awful! Who have you met at school that actually seemed sympathetic to your views on school safety? And who just thinks you're a giant whiner? What incredibly dangerous thing happened just yesterday?

What's your favorite thing about Hogwarts? What thing does everything take for granted that could change the world? What do you think of wizarding society in general, while we're on the subject?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

First Questions

Emily Brown, the Sasquatch
Has anyone been able to recall you for long? Does your family? If not, where do you stay during the summer months? Are you on any clubs or teams, even if they don't ever give you credit?

What aspect of your existence do you enjoy the most? What's been most inconvenient about your remarkable mundanity? How do you relax?

Seth Mercer, the Wyrm
What sort of serv friends are you looking for? What traits and characteristics make someone valuable to you, and what flaws and foibles are you willing to overlook? Is there anyone in your class that embodies these traits?

What's the most interesting artifact in your collection? Where do you store them at Hogwarts? Has anyone ever stolen from it, and what did you do to track down the thief?

Lee Gibson, the Unicorn
When did your unique upbringing and outlook let you see a solution to a problem those around you missed? When did a bully underestimate you, to their expense?

What's your favorite thing about Hogwarts? What do you find most offensive? What's the one change you'd make, if you could?

Second Questions

Margaret (Maggie, Margot) McClellan, The Fates
What signs and omens do you see that have you worried for this year? Do you think you should warn anyone? Would they believe you if you did?

What do most people think of you? What do you think of most people? Has anyone noticed the cycle of your personas?

Gwendydd Teague, The Scion
Tell me about the time you earned the most points for Slytherin. Now tell me about a time you lost quite a few. Overall, have you been a net drain or loss of points, and what does your House think of your antics?

With all the students at Hogwarts, what makes your so sure you'll be selected for the Tri-Wizard Tournament? What unique edge do you believe yourself to have over your competitors? What student would many of your classmates pick over you?

Senna Avener, The Unicorn
Tell me about a time you violated your moral code. Why did it happen? What did you do to make things right later?

What bit of magic comes extremely easy to you? Who have you tried to help with it that was having trouble? How did they repay you?

Octavia Rookwood, the Heir
What tricks were you and the other New Marauders good at that not even the professors know? What other secret were you involved in that didn't blow up in your face?

While I'm sure it's hard to relax now, what do you do to take your mind off things? Anyone you're interested in? Anyone interested in you?

Yggh'lymth (Yuno Limith), The Eldritch
What's your favorite tactic for trolling people? What's the most spectacular incident you've been involved in so far? Did you get in trouble?

What club have you joined, and do they actually like you? What's been the most amusing thing about them? Do you think they'd make a good cult?

Erhard Weiss, The Angel
What's the most trouble you've gotten into since coming to Hogwarts? Do you think the punishment you received was fair?

Of all your classmates, who's caught your interest the most? Why? Have they noticed you, or have you kept your distance?

Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, The Werewolf
What's your favorite part about being an Animagus? About being a werewolf? Your least favorite?

If you had to name three goals for the year, what would they be? Do you think you'll succeed in all of them? If you had to fail one to stand a chance at the others, what would you give up?

Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine
What's something you've done on accident that's earned your family's praise? What's something you've done - that any other family would've been proud of - that caused them to scorn you?

What ghost seems to have taken an interest in you? What place did they show you that's come in handy? What did they say that's given you pause?

Jacob Grimes, The Mortal
What hex do you most hate getting hit by? What magical creature do you most think should be removed from the curriculum? What professor scares you most?

How has your knowledge of muggle life and society come in handy at Hogwarts? Which of your Housemates is most irritated by your talk of the real world? What dangerous prank did they play on you most recently?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

First Questions

Beauregard Sutton, the Neighbor
What's been the biggest difference between Kentucky and the UK? Between your home and Hogwarts? What's your most and least favorite things about living there?

What's the general reaction to you being a vampire? Is there anyone that clearly hates you? Someone that finds it a bit too cool?

Janna Marsh, the Eldtritch
What's your favorite aspect of life at Hogwarts? What do you find most boring? And what can you barely tolerate?

What classmate of yours seems to know some of the Secret Signs? How did you discover this? What do you think of their knowledge?

Second Questions

Valerie Easton, The Queen
Which member of your gang do you trust most? Why? Which do you think would be first to betray you? Have they ever tried anything before?

What do you think of the rumors of a Tri-Wizard tournament? What evidence that Something is afoot have you come across? Do you think you'd make a good champion?

Lee Gibson, the Unicorn
Have you ever actually managed to get your classmates to play football? Are there any that are still interested? Who's aggressively antagonistic towards your preferred sport?

What professor do you get along with well? What favor have they asked you to do for them? What did you think of their request to keep it secret? Do you intend to help?

Apps close in roughly five hours or so. Will do one last round of questions in a day or two, then make picks.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Making picks in about eighteen hours.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Alright, made my picks.

For Gryffindor,
Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, The Werewolf - Played by godfish
Lee Gibson, the Unicorn - Played by shogeton

For Ravenclaw,
Margaret (Maggie, Margot) McClellan, The Fates - Played by Life Gets Worser
Valerie Easton, The Queen - Played by Rather Watch Them

For Slytherin,
Gwendydd Teague, The Scion - Played by Kitty Empress
Erhard Weiss, The Angel - Played by Axe-man

For Hufflepuff,
Senna Avener, The Unicorn - Played by Jenner
Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine - Played by Ferrosol

If you didn't get accepted, I'm legit super sorry :cry:. Had to cap it at eight, which means a couple PCs I really wanted couldn't quite squeeze in. If anyone drops out / quits posting, you all have first priority on replacing them (provided you're still interested at that point.)

For those that did make it in though, it's backstory time! IRC is easiest for this, please make sure no PC ends up totally excluded. Since this game has an above average number of PCs, adding a background for everyone, to get some extra strings distributed.

_________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

We'll handle NPCs, highlights, and seats in your homeroom (probably Defense Against the Dark Arts) after we get backgrounds figured out. I'll also be meshing backgrounds (lots of duplicate professors right now, going to clarify who is actually teaching what) and setting up the NPC list and strings sheet in the next day or two.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Since backgrounds are done, time to place NPCs. You'll assign highlights to another PC with your first post of the gamethread, who assigns for who will be answered therein.

Here's the NPC sheet. If something's blank - or I've left a space for you all to provide info - please fill it in. Full disclosure: I got lazy after a few hours of working on it, and that's why those blanks exist.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o_qkk6wbKm2wj3izYO2YMiGVP8VFqonOujDjPYiQKJ0/edit?usp=sharing
Editing in Strings Sheet momentarily.

pre:

|<Door          [Prof Legate]         Windows>|
|                                             |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]        [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]        [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]   |
|              [Practice Area]                |
|_____________________________________________|
The "homeroom" class is going to be Defense Against the Dark Arts, with Professor Legate. She teaches all the 6th years taking DADA, all in mixed classes as well. Please place your characters, along with two NPCs (preferably ones that already exist, but feel free to make new ones up if you think the class could use some drama or you've got a great idea) to the seating chart.

Once we're done with placing NPCs, I'll throw the gamethread up. Going to ask that people put their character sheets in their first posts in that thread, and keep them updated with advances and moves as selected. A statblock at the top of your post is required too, with nameplates highly encouraged.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QYWrj_FeIX67X32RCFvyLPsVyWSTtOjwFNL9Ap97QK8/edit#gid=0 Strings Sheet!

Will place NPCs into seating chart soon, editing that in here.

Working on the gamethread, should be up tomorrow evening.

If you've any backstory fiction to edit in / details to hammer out, now's the time.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Working on gamethread for reals, will be up in (I'd guess) two hours or so.

NPC List.
Stings Sheet.

pre:

|<Door                         [Prof Legate]                           Windows>|
|                                                                              |
|  [Rupinder][Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [ Angela ]  [Lizbeth]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [ Gwen]             [Chaucer]  [ Erhard ]  [Devon  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [  Mags ]  [Analia ]  [Victoria]  [Eustace]   |
|  [Melanie] [ Lee  ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [Zachary ]  [Harriet]   |
|                                                                              |
|                             [Practice Area]                                  |
|______________________________________________________________________________|
Eustace Black the Slytherin and Devon Meeks the Gryffindor have been added to the expansive class as well.

As for highlights, I'm a fan of the "everyone gets to highlight one other person" method. Some wonkiness involved, but with eight PCs that's bound to happen. Anyways, do assignments either in here, or with your first post in the gamethread.

Senna highlights for Cana
Cana highlights for Gwen
Gwen highlights for Zach
Zach highlights for Valerie
Valerie highlights for Lee
Lee highlights for the Mags
Mags highlights for Erhard
Erhard highlights for Senna

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Gamethread has been posted.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

MC Highlights

Cana highlight Volatile.
Lee highlight Dark.
Mags highlight Cold.
Erhard highlight Hot.
Valerie highlight Dark.
Gwen highlight Hot.
Senna highlight Cold.
Zach highlight Hot.

If you've already rolled it, mark XP for it.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 15, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

New prompts coming later today.

RWT - Are you still interested in playing? Please let me know if something has come up. I'll add a prompt for you this scene if you'd like, if you're bowing out I understand as well.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

We'll be doing highlights every 3 scenes, which is also how long I'm defining a session to be. Just realized I hadn't announced this anywhere, even if it was pretty obvious already.

Secondly - if you're writing a post that extensively involves an NPC, I'm quite willing to provide dialogue for them if you want me to. Just message me on IRC and let me know what's up.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Prompts coming tomorrow, too tired to finish them this evening.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry about the delay in prompts everyone, spent the night in a war with computer problems I eventually lost.

Will have a post up within the next twenty four hours.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Session 2 Highlights

Gwen highlight Cana.
Cana highlight Senna.
Senna highlight Jacob.
Jacob highlight Mags.
Mags highlight Lee.
Lee highlight Erhard.
Erhard highlight Valerie.
Valerie highlight Zach.
Zach highlight Gwen.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Session 2 MC Highlights

Gwen highlight Hot.
Cana highlight Volatile.
Senna highlight Dark.
Jacob highlight Hot.
Mags highlight Cold.
Lee highlight Cold.
Erhard highlight Hot.
Valerie highlight Dark.
Zach highlight Hot.

Prompts coming later tonight (tomorrow morning for many of you).

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Posting prompts in about 15 hours - those of you that haven't posted yet are encouraged to do so :).

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Prompting in eighteen hours or so, get any last minute posts in before then.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Updating in less than 24 hours, so get posts in soon if you feel the need.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Somebody else please post in this thread to break up the parade of Magus avatars it has going on.

Working on prompts now, should have them finished either late tonight or while I'm at work tomorrow. Will probably be moving everyone to next scene + advancing the time of day.

RWT - If / when you desire to return, awesome, I'm saving a spot for Val. As for now, she and her horsemen are galloping around in the backgrounds of scenes.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Posting prompts for everyone later today, sorry about the lengthy wait. Val is getting a prompt as well, since I believe it's Rather Watch Them is intent on resuming playing.

EDIT: Had friends come into town early and my posting schedule got thrown off. Updating this asap, sorry for the wait.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 24, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

#Potterhearts is now a thing.

<Ferrosol> should probably change that note to potterhearts with a capital P
<Rauri> k did

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 17, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Posting prompts within twenty four hours - I have been a lazy rear end but am going to do it or you can all bug me forever for having failed to do so in IRC.

EDIT: An unexpected amount of family drama caused me to fail this self-imposed challenge. I urge all of you to harass me in IRC until I've posted these prompts though - they're partially done.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry to do this everyone, but it's probably pretty obvious that I'm not updating this game anymore. Thanks everyone for playing, hope you had fun while the game was active, and look forward to being in future games with all of you.

• Locked thread