Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

quote:

Dear Headmaster,

Please find attached a letter I recently discovered, unsent, underneath a stack of homework assignments in my office. Though it is obviously in my handwriting, and bears no illusions or enchantments that I have been able to detect, I have no recollection whatsoever of writing it, nor of the student it concerns. Please note that it is addressed to the current student counselor, which suggests that I wrote it quite recently.

Because of this strange phenomenon, as well as the contents of the letter itself, I feel it is urgent to bring the matter to your attention at once. We may be dealing with a previously undetected high-level memory charm of some type. I have done my best to find further information on this student, but have come up with little other than the attached photos. Please advise.

Yours,

- Professor H. Honeyworth

quote:

Professor Ardenne,

I would like to request your assistance in uncovering some information regarding a student in my Charms class by the name of Emily Brown. She caught my attention when she came by my office to inquire after her marks in the class; I discovered that despite her name clearly being listed on the roster, I had failed to record anything regarding her work. Even more strangely, she had anticipated this eventuality, and had brought along every assignment and examination I had given back, all of which were clearly marked by my own hand, but none of which had been recorded.

After correcting my files, I decided to investigate further, and found an appalling failure on the part of this faculty to keep accurate records for Ms. Brown. Her marks are listed for each class, and she provided at my request several papers written for previous professors (which show her to be a good, if not exactly exemplary student) to prove that no cheating has occurred on her part. However, few of said professors so much as recall teaching her, and none can say anything of import regarding her behavior or performance. Her student file has not been updated since the first day she came to the school. In consternation, I asked another Ravenclaw student -- Roger Fine -- who sits next to Ms. Brown in my class, and had previously taken the same Divinations class as her. He said, and I quote, "I'm sorry, Sir, I don't know who you're talking about."

If you'd be so kind, I would appreciate you looking into this matter for me; you have better access to our student archives than I do. I should very much like to get things squared away for Ms. Brown, and to rectify this deplorable lack of diligence on our part. It would be a shame if her graduation came and went and all we could say regarding her tuition here was that she appears to have been physically present at least some of the time.

With love,

- Professor H. Honeyworth
- Letter found in a wastebasket in the southern courtyard corridor.

My favorite class so far this year I guess would have to be Charms. It's super easy and the teach seems to like me more than most teachers do, he calls my name for roll and everything, and I get to sit next to Roger. Plus you get to do all sorts of weird stuff. Like we made a frog go bright blue last week, it was killer. Roger couldn't do it and he smiled at me when I showed him how and I thought I was going to faint, right there. Maybe he'll ask me to the dance. I like it a lot more than Potions and whatever, I'm just awful at Potions. In Potions I don't get to sit next to Roger I have to sit next to Melissa and she always gets it right and I can never get it right.

It's kind of nice how nobody really pays attention to where I'm going or if I skip class. Like sometimes when I'm not feeling like going to Potions I'll just skive off and wander around the hallways. So like, way back in second year I used to do it all the time, and I noticed something weird. There's this tower you can't get to. I mean Hogwarts is crazy, especially for someone like me who grew up not knowing anything about magic at all, what with all the twisty corridors and hidden passages and moving staircases and all. But I've tried for years and there's just no way into that one tower 'cause all the corridors go around it and I even tried flying up there and there's all these bars on the windows. Okay, maybe it's abandoned right? Nah, there's a light up there every night. Too crazy right?

I hate hate hate the girl who's in the bunk across from me. Alice, oh Alice, sweet wonderful Alice. She's the Ravenclaw seeker and just mad beautiful and she's got boys falling all over her. I hang out with her and her friends all the time but I can tell it's just out of pity or whatever. I'm like their handbags or their hair, just there to make them look good. Like they'd really enjoy my company, what a laugh. So every day Alice invites me along and I follow them around and don't say anything unless they ask me stuff and Alice laughs and smiles and oh, I wish I could be like her just can't stand her.

quote:

Emily Brown, the Sasquatch

awkward, forgettable eyes, was a quiet child
Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile +1, Dark +2

Musk
You have a distinct smell, unpleasant to some, intriguing to others. When you sweat in the presence of other people, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, the MC gives you a String on someone there and they choose:
  • compliment you,
  • apologize to you,
  • give themselves to you.
On a 7-9, the MC gives you a String on someone there, and that character gives you a Condition, delivered in the most appropriate way.

Hidden in the Scenery
When it appears that you're not around, you may roll with dark. On a 10 up, you're there and you remain completely unnoticed. On a 7-9, you're there, and somebody sees. If they don't draw attention to you, they gain a String on you at the end of the scene.

Icebreaker
You radiate awkwardness and people don't know how to talk around you. When someone speaks to break a silence or to start a new conversation, you may roll with dark. On a 10 up, choose two of these questions for them to blurt truthful answers to, whether or not you actually ask. On a 7-9, choose one question and during this conversation you both blurt out truthful answers to it.
  • Who do you want to make out with?
  • What don't you want me to find out?
  • What do you intend to do?
  • What do you wish I'd do?
  • What are you scared of?
  • What are you ashamed of?
  • Do you like me?

Sex Move
The person you have sex with smells like you afterward, and gains the Condition scented. If they face their peers before scrubbing it off, they mark experience.

Darkest Self
Now, right now, it's time to rain stones down upon the bullies and the excluders. It's time to wreck their precious stuff, to shove them back so hard that they'll never even dream of messing with you or anyone ever, ever again. You escape your Darkest Self when you hurt one of those people more than they've ever hurt anyone else... and more than you meant to.

Backstory
You've been a wallflower all your life, but someone finally noticed you. Give them a String.
Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them.

Thread title: Harry Sighed as he Cast his Patronus

megane fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rauri posted:

Emily Brown, the Sasquatch
Has anyone been able to recall you for long? Does your family? If not, where do you stay during the summer months? Are you on any clubs or teams, even if they don't ever give you credit?

What aspect of your existence do you enjoy the most? What's been most inconvenient about your remarkable mundanity? How do you relax?

Yeah, I mean, some people remember me, at least a little. Like, when they see my face I can tell they recognize me and whatever. It's not like I'm bloody invisible, it's just... well, like, Mum and Dad, see. They smile when I talk to 'em, and they know my name, but like... I've got six sisters and I'm dead in the middle, so when I show up for summer holidays they don't even notice they've got other things to worry about. Like the youngest, Lisa, she's 11 and she's just got her letter, which is weird 'cause Mum and Dad are muggles so why do they have two witch daughters? And Mary's got this new boyfriend who's super rich, and Joanna's off at college, and so, yeah, it's fine that I sort of... blend into the background, right? I don't want to be a bother.

So I mean, I do my chores and study and try not to cause a fuss. Oh, and I make sure to leave notes around while I'm gone so's they don't turn my room into a or whatever. I'm fine looking after myself, it's fine. It's fine.

Course I say that, but summer before last I was feeling kind of pissed off cheeky, so I decided not to go home for the summer. You know, see if anyone noticed. Instead I sort of stowed away with my mate Rachel and stayed with her family for the summer. Now, it hurts to have somebody who should know you look at you like you're some sort of space alien, but it's almost as weird to have complete strangers just like, accept you, on account of they couldn't give a poo poo are too nice to worry about it. Her Mum just gives me that look everyone gives me, like: "Hm, could've sworn I only had the one daughter, forget my own head next" and then makes me up a bed, like she'd expected me all along but had just forgotten. Don't get me wrong, she's super nice just like Rach, she's an accountant or something. They live by the seaside so I got to spend the whole summer lying on the beach which was mad especially 'cause Rachel's brother is dead gorgeous. But I kept worrying about Mum and Dad, right, so after like a month I gave them a call, told 'em where I was. "Oh, having a good time are you?" 's all they said.

I'm sort of in two clubs, actually. Officially, well, nobody ever believes me when I tell them but I'm actually on the Quidditch team. I should like, carry around a bloody team photo just so's I can prove it. Just an outside Chaser so I don't get to do anything all that important; I mean honestly most of the game is just faffing about while the Seekers do the only job that matters, right? Once they didn't even print my ruddy name on the fliers, I nearly had it right out with the boy in charge figure it was just a mistake. I wanted to play as soon as I saw it but I figured it'd never work on account of somebody'd have to notice me first, right. But I made the mistake of telling Alice about it and she got me a spot on the team, probably as a laugh. Or 'cause having me around makes her look even better. Luckily I'm good enough at flying that I can just do my job and hopefully nobody'll get around to giving me the boot or anything.

The other club is maybe a bit less official. I'd say don't tell anyone but it's not like you're going to remember me telling you this anyway, is it? 's called the Thestral Society. You know, after the mad horse things what you can only see after you've seen someone die. Supposed to be this huge secret but I don't really know why, mostly we just go flying over the lake and around the castle. Which I love, there's just nothing better than whirling about the towers in the middle of the night while it's snowing. Only, see, here's the problem; I've never actually seen anyone, like, actually die. So whenever somebody points out a thestral I just nod and go "oh yeah mate look at the wings on that one" and hope nobody catches on that I can't see a bloody thing.

That's probably the best thing about my... what'd you call it, mundanity, yeah. No credit, yeah, but I don't get in trouble either, I can just bugger off to Rachel's for the summer or not do my homework or wander about after curfew and nobody cares. Kind of nice I guess.

Worst? When Lisa was born, well I wasn't there when it actually happened of course, but we all went up there right afterwards. And Mum looks at Dad, and at all of us, and she goes, "How lucky are we, to have these six beautiful daughters."

• Locked thread