Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Interest post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Zachary Bainbridge

"You are a disgrace and a failure to your family." I still have nightmares about that howler where those words echo through my dreams. See the Bainbridges are an old and at one time respected family. But those days are long gone. I mean don't get me wrong we were never sacred twenty-eight material but once we were feared, respected, admired by our peers. But not any more. Don't tell my father I said this but the one thing the Bainbridges know how to do is pick a loser, my grandfathers generation sided with Grindelwald, my fathers Voldermort. So now we are shunned, ignored by those who were once lesser than us. I was to be the last hope of the family, go to Hogwarts and win us new allies new friends amongst those that mattered. They spent the remainder of the families wealth on the best wands the finest cauldron everything I would need to stand amongst my peers. But the drat hat had other ideas.

It never even dithered The Bainbridges an old pureblooded family Slytherins for nine generations and then me a Hufflepuff. Not even a Gryffindor, no a Hufflepuff. I just sort of wandered over to their table and sat there burying my head in my hands. The howler arrived the next day, I don't know how my father found out so quickly but he did. He blamed it on me, said it was my fault that I was a disappointment and a fool. It's not like I had a choice. But you know what it's not that bad. Most of my fellow Hufflepuffs are good people. So what if they're never going to be movers and shakers. They were even kind and generous to me who spent most of my first year stand-offish and alone. I suppose that's when I decided I'd show my parents and those who looked down on me what a hufflepuff can do.

As for wands well I had to try out a few before I found the right one for me. 9 and 1/4 inches of cherry wood with a core of unicorn hair. According to Mr Ollivander it was supposed to have a knack for charms, So far I've only been average at charms though. But that might be me rather than the wand.

As for my familiar I got one of these.

Yeah, thanks dad. I mean my housemates get cute owls or cats or even rats. And what do I get a snake. Talk about creepy. Still he's not too bad once you get to know him apart from liking to wrap himself around my neck while I'm studying. You can almost believe his little eyes trying to follow the page. But that would be ridiculous wouldn't it. Still Toby (although it's Tobias if dad's around) is pretty distinctive and I have to keep him well fed so he doesn't go after other peoples mice.

quote:

Name: Zachary Bainbridge
Skin: Serpentine
Look: Sleek, Apprehensive eyes
True Form: a tail, undulating limbs without joints
Origin: A family of old Wealth
Stats:
Hot: 1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Harm:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Experience Points:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone,
they become a part of the Failing
Dynasty (and subject to the move’s
mechanics).

Darkest Self:

You aren’t ever going to be the person
that your family wants you to be.
You can’t live with their shame and
insanity any longer. You need to
escape your current identity, go into
hiding, or run the gently caress away. You need
to threaten or hobble anyone who
would try to keep you in these familial
chains. You escape your Darkest Self
when you rejoin your family, or you
shed your past life and integrate
yourself into a new family.

Moves:

Failing Dynasty

In the age of serpents, your family was
powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a
shadow of their former glory. They want
to regain: their political clout

Whenever you are convinced to do
the bidding of a family member, carry
1 forward to doing it and that family
member gains a String on you. Whenever
you help your family regain some of their
former glory, mark experience.

Patience is a Virtue

When you bite your tongue and don’t
respond to adversity, roll with cold. On
a 10 up, choose one: gain a String on
them; they gain the Condition snake
food. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition
snake food.

Backstory:

You’ve been watching someone, trying
to learn from them what it means to
be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Your family seeks to control your
every move. The head of your family
gains two Strings on you.

tell me about one of your classes

My favourite class is Muggle studies. Do you know the Muggles are so charmingly backwards? they have these things like photographs but instead of depicting what's happening they're just still images. And they use these great big machines to fly with rather than broomsticks, I remember that last year she brought in some muggle sweets to share with the class. They barely tasted of anything. Still I hear they have this thing called the internet now which I believe is used for sharing pictures of cats across the world. What will they think of next?

tell me about a secret you've discovered at Hogwarts

On the fourth floor there's a room looks like a caretakers closet. But if you go inside there's a mirror. A magic mirror. It doesn't show what's there but shows what you might become. The first time I looked at it showed me happy with a brood of loving children and a wife. The second time it showed me with a dedicated team of research wizards working on some great spell. The third time was the worst. It was me but not me and I was leading an army of Death Eaters. I hope that isn't my future.... I've not worked up the courage to go back since.

tell me about another student that's significant to you - for good or ill.

Harriet Jones, Like me she's a reluctant Hufflepuff. Only in her case she's from a long line of half-blood Gryffndors. I think she handled it better than I did though she's constantly cracking jokes and playing pranks on people. She's the only person I know who actually gets on well with Peeves. Still I've started to suspect recently that's it just a better mask than mine. I found her crying in our common room once. She said she felt like a failure. Like she wasn't living up to her potential. I could sympathise because I wrestle with the same doubts. We talked late into the night. I think I made a friend. Now whenever I'm looking a bit down she cracks a joke to cheer me up. Look I never said this because if my parents found out they'd but she's really cute and I'm thinking about asking her to go with me to hogsmeade next time.

Optional IC Thread Title

Hairy Potter and the Confusing Teenage Hormones.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 27, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Rauri posted:

First Questions

Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine
What request have your parents made that you're considering? Is it the worst thing they've ever asked you to do? If not, what was? When was the last time you did as they bid, and what reward did they manage to send you?

There's a girl. Amelia Craggy a Slytherin Ambitious as hell and a real pain in the rear end, She's uncovered one of our families darkest secrets. the one where we're all a bunch of unlicensed animagi I got a message from my dad telling me about this. He wants me to kill her. But I don't think I can. I mean I don't want to spend the rest of my days in Askaban with only dementors for company But actually killing someone... I guess Dad is right I am too soft. I mean I suppose he's right that people like that are inferior to us and all it's just.... that kind of thing is wrong isn't it? So yeah I can't think of anything worse dad would have me do.
I mean the last job was freaky enough but at least they didn't want me to kill someone. It was supposed to be a simple delivery pick up a package from someone at the leaky cauldron and leave under a certain tree in the Hogwarts ground. Only I had to get nosy didn't I? I opened the package. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found a vial of unicorn blood. No Potions may be far from my best subject but I know unicorn blood when I see it. What did I do? exactly what I was told to. I put it under the tree and walked away. I learnt a long time not to ask questions you don't really want to know the answer too. Questions like Where it came from? Who it was for? Why did my Dad have it in the first place? Still it must have gotten to its intended recipient because not long after I got a letter from Dad filled with grudging praise that I didn't manage to screw up a simple chore. He even sent me a gift a new invisibility cloak! I should be happy but knowing that a unicorn got hurt to get me it is kind of a downer. It makes me feel kind of dirty now every time I wear it.

Rauri posted:

What's your favorite part of being at Hogwarts? Are there any extracurricular clubs or groups you're in? What's something you'd change about the Hufflepuff common room, if it was up to you?

Favourite part, The people. All of them so many different people with so many different opinions and so many different stories. I could talk to a different person every day and go a whole year without repeating myself and some of them are absolutely fascinating. Take Angela Birkham she spent a year as an exchange student at Beauxbatons and the stories she tells about those european wizards are hilarious. Do you know they actually eat chocolate snails? and all the teachers have to be addressed by their full names there? But I digress extracurricular activities. Well I tried out for the quidditch team but well the less said about that the better. However I have found my sport of choice. Wizard Chess I've been Hufflepuff house champion the last three years and last year I was runner up in the house cup to some clever 7th Year from Ravenclaw. Maybe this could be my year for the trophy. That'd really show my family I'm good at something that I'm not just some loser and a disappointment. What do I dislike the most about the Hufflepuff common room? there's no privacy everyone can see everything that's going on. So when Helena Dodworth screwed up her inivisiblity spell and caused her clothes to vanish the whole dorm could see. I've never seen anyone turn that colour of red before and truth be told I still don't understand why she was that embarrassed. So yeah I'd set up some walls or something or private nooks so students can sit and have a bit of privacy.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Rauri posted:

Zachary Bainbridge, The Serpentine
What's something you've done on accident that's earned your family's praise? What's something you've done - that any other family would've been proud of - that caused them to scorn you?

What ghost seems to have taken an interest in you? What place did they show you that's come in handy? What did they say that's given you pause?

Oh, don't say you've heard about that. It was an accident after all. I honestly had no idea Malcom had been fixing Quidditch matches. If he hadn't have accidentally walked into me and spilled all his ill-gotten gold in front of his head of house I still wouldn't have known. Still I got the credit for exposing him and my fathers praise for "eliminating a dangerous rival" his parents have packed him off to Durmstrang apparently. Still I didn't do anything I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why can't my Dad be normal like everyone elses? I mean I came second in the hufflepuff house cup most parents would be really proud of that especially since I only came second by something like 5 house points. But no all I got is being berated as how did dad put it "the biggest loser in a house full of losers." Yeah thanks Dad really fine praise.

Oh god yeah and that ghost won't leave me alone. What ghost? you ask. Evie she's an oldish woman or at least that's what she looks like anyway as a ghost. From what I've been able to piece together she used to teach divination way back when and is sticking around until she sees all her prophecies come true. Thing is from what I've been able to find in the library all of them are so vague they could've come true a dozen times already and no-one has noticed. Anyway apparently she's latched on to me as some sort of great hero or something prophesied to do whatever I was busy with my charms homework so I missed most of it. Truth is I think she's mistaken me for someone else. Still theres a cozy little cellar not far off from the Hufflepuff common room. I'd say it's deserted but someone's keeping it clean and it appears someones using it to store casks of really strong beer. Blew me away when I tried it. Evi lead me there, she said I looked like I needed a drink and I might as well enjoy it because I'd need more than a drink before the term is out. I laughed it off at first but it was the way she said it almost like she felt sorry for me....

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying
to learn from them what it means to
be human. Gain two Strings on them.

I was thinking Gwendydd or Valerie for this one. But if anyone else wants to chime in please feel free.

quote:

Your family seeks to control your
every move. The head of your family
gains two Strings on you.

Maximilian Bainbridge has a lot of secrets. Including the two big ones he's a secret Animagus and a secret former Death Eater who only barely avoided a trip to Azkaban. He tends to treat his disappointment of a son as an errand boy and flunky as his clear lack of talent leave him unsuitable for anything else.

quote:

_________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Oh you mean the incident with Erhard and the Acromantula nest. Yeah I didn't know there was a nest of those creepy things in the grounds either. I'd just snuck back from one of Dad's errands when I ran into it. It would've had me if Erhard hadn't driven it off what was he doing out so late anyway?

GodFish posted:

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

I'm thinking of Zachary or Valerie for this.

I'd be fine with this for Zack

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

pre:

|<Door                   [Prof Legate]                    Windows>|
|                                                                 |
|  []  [Glenda]  [Senna]        [Chelsea]  [ Angela  ]  [    ]    |
|  [Althea][Byron]   [     ]        [Chaucer]  [Erhard] [     ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [Mags][ ]  [Victoria]    [    ]     |
|  [ ]  ]  [   ]  [ Erin ]  [Valerie  [Gillian]  [ Zach][Harriet] |
|                       [Practice Area]                           |
|_________________________________________________________________|
Zachary lurks at the back of the room where hopefully no one can ask him questions

The fact that he's conveniently close to fellow Hufflepuff Harriet Jones doesn't have anything to do with it. and no he doesn't have a crush on her... well not much of a one

Angela Birkham inhabits a desk a few rows in front of him and is pretty much the classic member of her house brave arrogant and always willing to try new things.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Axe-man posted:

pre:

|<Door                         [Prof Legate]                           Windows>|
|                                                                              |
|  [      ]  [Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [ Angela ]  [       ]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [     ]             [Chaucer]  [ Erhard ]  [       ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [ Mags  ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [       ]   |
|  [      ]  [      ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [Zachary ]  [Harriet]   |
|                                                                              |
|                             [Practice Area]                                  |
|______________________________________________________________________________|
I decided to help out Ferrosol

Axe's Boggart is definitely bad ASCII Art.
thank you

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Valerie is a really cold blooded girl I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Most humans are rather baffling to Zach. But Gwen is particularly Dark and mysterious.

• Locked thread