Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Senna Avener

Hello, my name is Senna and I love my dads. I’m a half-blood, both my fathers are muggles but my surrogate mother is a wizard. I was born in the tiny Irish hamlet of An Geata Bán. My father is an optometrist and my dad is a patissier. The woman who bore me is a mutual friend of theirs and she’s my godmom! She’s still in my life and I think I have the best family ever! I was always a good kid. I did great in school, I excelled at team sports, but I always tried to make sure I didn’t stick out or show up anyone else. After all, we were all on the same team!

I wasn’t really that surprised to find out I was a wizard, my dads were but I kinda always knew I was a bit special, a bit magical. I was born with a unique birthmark you see. It’s on my scalp, a mark just like Harry Potter’s! Though mine looks a bit like a horn and not at all like a lightning bolt… But that’s okay! It’s deep in my hairline and you can’t even see it and anyway, I don’t actually have to be special! In fact, I don’t want to be special. No, no, not at all! We should be humble in all things, that’s what dad says! Anyway, I was very excited to receive my letter from Hogwarts! My dads had to have everything explained to them but they were just as excited. It made me feel so good to have them proud of me, they’re the best dads ever!

I’ve been here a few years now but I still get as anxious as I was on my first day! This year was special because Father and Dad have just gotten married the month before, now that it wasn’t illegal, so I was elated for them and yet really scared to be going off on my own! My first year though? Oh I was beyond nervous! I knew practically nothing about Hogwarts! My godmother, Sebrina Rahman, was the witch assigned to help my non-magical family acclimate to this new change. She’s always been real important to me but now she holds an even more special place in my heart because it’s because of her that I got my wand. I write her all the time.

I still remember when I got my wand, up until we started searching for one that spoke to me we’d been in high spirits. She answered all our questions and really helped put my dads at ease. She helped us get good deals at Diagon Alley on robes of all sorts. Oh and my owl! I love my owl! His name is Pyras! He’s a Mexican Striped Owl.

Pictured: Senna's owl Pryas.

Oh right, my wand, so we head into Ollivander’s and I’m trying wand after wand and none of them are really feeling right. We were there for hours, and even my upbeat spirits began to falter. I started to worry that maybe there just wasn’t a wand for me and it showed. My dads tried to be comforting and I tried to perk up for them, I don’t like making them upset! Anyway, Godmother Sebrina took us into an old antique shop and she had us talk to a wizard there. Turns out this guy is a distant cousin of hers and we start going through some of their old family wands and, we found one. I was ecstatic! It’s just the most perfect wand ever, it’s about average length and carved from a single branch of hazel with a unicorn tail hair core. It had been passed down godmother’s family for generations but no one had had the knack to wield it. I’m very proud. (But not too proud, that’s improper!)

After all that I was on my way to Hogwarts. I had the good fortune of sharing a car with a handful of kids from Wizarding families so I was able to listen in. They were all boasting about what Houses they’d be Sorted into, two of them claimed Gryffindor and one was absolutely certain she would get into Ravenclaw because she was a straight A student. (I congratulated her! Getting straight As can be hard work sometimes! I should know, I get them too!) One of the boys teased the girl that her arrogance would send her on to Slytherin for sure and I remember thinking Slytherin sounded awful but surely it couldn’t be that bad! They eventually got into an argument when one boy teased the other boy about how he’d be going to Hufflepuff because he was a bit chubby. (Maybe just a little… but it was a handsome kind of chubby! Oh dear I can’t believe I thought that! I’m so bad! He has a great personality!)

I remember them all being like, “Oh no, not Hufflepuff!” and I asked them, “What’s so bad about Hufflepuff?” They looked at me like I had three eyes. It was very unnerving! “Oh you must be Muggle-born.” The would-be Ravenclaw said, she sounded so condescending! People should be nice to other people! “Poor thing.” Ungh, you know I think she actually did get sorted into Slytherin! Couldn’t have happened to a nicer girl! (Oh no! I did it again! I need to stop! Bad Senna, bad!) They went on for hours about how Hufflepuff was just the worst. Words like, “No standards” and “Just take anyone,” and “Not a mean bone in their bodies,” and “Completely boring,” and then lots of snickering. I didn’t understand what was so bad about them all of that sounded, like, really good?

So we get to the castle and it’s gorgeous, it’s completely gorgeous, more magical even then they implied it would be. We’re all anxious and we start getting Sorted and it’s all very stressful because this is important! Where they put you is where you are for life! It defines you forever! The Sorting hat is sending kids off to their houses and as my turn nears I get a sense of dread. What if I’m not good enough? What will happen to me? When they set me down though the Hat didn’t even hesitate, “You’re a true blue Ravenclaw!” It told me. I remember loudly exclaiming “Oh no!” At the time I was almost panicking, not Ravenclaw! That’s far too lofty! I told it I didn’t want to be in Ravenclaw! Not that there was anything wrong with them, Ravenclaw is just fine but I just didn’t want to draw that much attention to myself! “Hmmm…” It mused, "What about Gryffindor? You'd fit right in." And I shook my head begged it not to. It mulled for awhile but when it exclaimed “HUFFLEPUFF!” It was like a weight lifted from my chest. I hugged it, I thanked it, I kissed it right on its fuzzy felt mouth (it was my first kiss!)

You know, I don’t regret it, it’s really nice being a Hufflepuff. There’s not a mean bone in our bodies and we accept everyone. That’s how people should be.

quote:

Name: Senna Avener
Skin: The Unicorn
Origin: Blessed
House: Hufflepuff
Wand: Medium length, hazel and unicorn tail.
Look: Birthmark, modest eyes
People Should Never: Lie, showboat, be selfish, swear, steal, cheat, do drugs, succumb to hatred, bully, lash out in anger, misgender people, or hurt the innocent!

Stats:
Hot: +1
Cold: +0
Volatile: +1
Dark: -1
Integrity: 0

Moves:
o With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly,
holding yourself to a high moral
standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect
this, which starts at zero and can climb
to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
- you take the moral high ground
about an issue that matters,
- you follow through on something
important that you say you'll do.

You can gain up to 1 Integrity per
scene. When a move calls for you to
roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity
after you roll

o I Believe In You
When you believe in someone who has
just done less than their best, make
eye contact with them and roll with
integrity (& then erase 1). On a 10 up,
the roll they just made counts as a 10.
• On a 7-9, add 1 to the roll they just
made. When time seems to stop and
fate hangs in the balance, sometimes
believing in somebody is enough.

o Speak From The Heart
When you have someone else's best
interests at heart, add 2 to your rolls to
manipulate an NPC.

o Sanctuary (Witch)
You have a secret place for practising witchcraft. Add 1 to
all rolls you make within this space.

Sex Move:
You have three intimacy moves:
When you lay your head in a virgin's lap,
gain a point of Integrity and choose:
- give them 1 forward to protecting you,
- roll to turn them on.

When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.

When you have sex, lose all your Integrity

Darkest Self:
This is it. Everything falls apart, and
you can't hold it together anymore. It's
not because everything is too much
to bear – just that you aren't good
enough. So beg their forgivenesses,
everyone you've wronged by being too
weak to help; and show them how
sorry you are, in whatever small ways
you can muster before the final curtain
falls. Don't seek their acceptance.
You don't deserve it. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone reflects to
you a glimmer of your own self worth.

quote:

Tell me about one of your classes.

I hate to admit it by my best classes are actually dueling and defense against dark arts. Basically anything that involves fighting I seem to be really good at. But I don’t like it! I’m not a violent person, not really! But they put me up against people and I just try my best not to hurt them. I’m always apologizing, my wand has quite the kick to it though! Luckily I’m also naturally gifted at healing magics too. It comes in handy, but I really don’t like hurting people! I like potions best but it’s not what I’m good at. I wish it was!

quote:

Tell me about something you discovered at Hogwarts.

Have you heard about the legendary Room of Requirement? I was just trying to find a nice quiet place to study and I was on my way to the library when the door just appeared. I entered and it was full of all kinds of books and just the things I needed to get the grade I wanted. Now I know where it is and I go to it from time to time. It’s kinda nice, to have my own special place.

quote:

Tell me about another student that's significant to you - for good or ill.

I made good friends with a boy in Herbology named Devon Meeks he knows a lot about plants and he’s my partner in potions. He swears a bit too much and he cheats at cards but I’m sure his heart is in the right place. I’ll keep on him, he’s a Gryffindor so he always tries to seem impressive. I wish he would just be himself, he’s a good guy!

quote:

(Optionally) a suggestion for the game thread title.
99 problems but a witch ain't one.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Rauri posted:

First Questions

Senna Avener, The Unicorn
Tell me about a time that words alone were enough to change someone, or put a stop to something bad.

There's still so much hate in the world, we live in a small town but that doesn't keep intolerance away. We're on the cusp of middle class and my dads had to save up for years just to afford to have me. Even before my home country's historic decision big meanies black with hatred were about giving my fathers a hard time.

It really ramped up a few weeks before the vote. An old church friend of theirs (I guess not so much their friend anymore) and a select few of their old congregation (my dads aren't Catholic anymore) started chewing them out. Calling them sinners, they used me as a weapon against them. "That girl needs a mother!"

I remember being so angry, we would get this from time to time and I was fed up! Normally I bite my tongue because it's rude to disrespect adults but this time I didn't hold back! "Shame on you!" I shouted at them "Who are you to decide what I need?! I have no need for a mother because I have the best family with my two perfect fathers!" I glared at them all. "How dare you try to sully our love with your toxic hate! Leave my family alone!"

Needless to say, they were shocked. They mumbled amongst themselves still but lost the will to fight. They left and they bothered us no further. Father told me a few of them sent he and dad letters of apology later and they had a lot of well-wishers and loads of letters of congratulations after their marriage.

I still grounded myself, of course. I'm a good girl!

quote:

Then describe another where you had to use your wand. What would you have done differently in hindsight?

One day, on my way home from the park I found a group of four boys tormenting a starving stray dog. That dog was an innocent creature and she didn't do anything to deserve their cruelty! So I strode right over and demanded they stop this instant!

My heart was in tatters, the poor dog was so scared and injured! Those meanies had either broken her leg themselves or had found her that injured. They just laughed and used my disapproval spur on their viciousness!

I appealed to them, what if you were this dog?!

I threatened to tell their parents!

They hit her with a heavy stick and she started yelping and didn't stop.

My wand was in my hand before I knew it, "Stupify!" I found myself shouting. I blasted each one of them and watched them fall stiff. Their once ruthless faces now twisted up into expressions of shock.

I soothed and picked up the injured dog, I called my dads crying as she yelped and suffered. They came and got me and they rushed us to the vet.

I was in so much trouble! Both from the wizarding world for publicly using magic and for striking out at those boys. I went two years without any allowance to pay for Trish's veterinary bills and they gave me a huge lecture, grounded me for a month, and took away my wand privileges for that time.

I wish I could have found a solution without resorting to violence. I'm ashamed of myself. If only I'd been better.

Trish is the best dog ever though.

Pictured: Senna's dog Trish.

quote:

Being as accepting and friendly as you are - and a true Hufflepuff - you have to have made friends others would have overlooked. Tell me about two of them. Which of them are you still close to? Why did the other drift apart?

People are getting better about LGBTQ rights all around the world! It's a good thing! It means people opposed to it are more likely to bite their tongues or look the other way than be called out as a bigot. Here in Hogwarts people sometimes bring their Outside intolerances in to mix and blend with pre-existing bigotry. Class differences, lineage, patronus shape, you name it and someone has probably found a way to use it as a way to sort everyone.

I think that's one of my biggest disappointments about this place (not that I don't love it here!) It's supposed to be so much different and better than the outside world but it really isn't. Just more magical, really. The same old hatreds just with a new slant (and now more new hatreds too!)

We practically begin our lives in Hogwarts being Sorted then some of us spend the rest of our lives Sorting. I make it a point to try to be friends with everyone I can. From the 'mudbloods' to the 'loonies' to the 'poors' (my family is not that we'll off either!) Each of those friendships come with their own struggles but these are the people who need friends the most!

Still, the friends that most stand out to me are Glenda Murphy and Brittany Smith. In the grand scheme of things they aren't any more special than anyone else. ("We're all special in our own special ways!" That's what dad says!) Glenda is Muggle-born and Brittany comes from a poorer family with a single mother but that doesn't matter, shouldn't matter. They're good people and my friends! What matters is that they were dating.

I was really touched when they confided in me. But then, they knew I'd be an ally because of my dads. I really liked Brittany, she's a Gryffindor, and Glenda is a Hufflepuff like me so we're also good friends. The two of them were such a cute couple, virtually inseparable, and I was so happy for them.

But it wasn't us that drifted apart, it was them. Over time they started to argue a lot. Little things, big things! They started falling out of love and I tried to reconcile them but I failed them.

I failed them as a friend. I failed them when they needed me most. This is all my fault, if I could have just helped them more, been there for them more, done... more.

It was a nasty break up, they hate each other now. I'm still friends with both of them but they're constantly back-biting and complaining to me about the other one. Trying to get me to side one way or the other. I feel torn in two directions. I like them both and I refuse to choose between them.

It's so awkward, this hate has consumed them and I miss my old friends.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 28, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Rauri posted:

Second Questions
Senna Avener, The Unicorn
Tell me about a time you violated your moral code. Why did it happen? What did you do to make things right later?

What happens when someone asks you for your honest opinion but you don't wanna hurt their feelings? I always feel squeamish as I try to search for the good things to mention. To technically be telling them the truth, just not the whole truth and not my full opinion. It's difficult because I want to be a good friend and this is part of being a good friend but it isn't. Like when it was Father's turn to cook and the noodles were too firm and he asked me, I told him it gave dinner an interesting texture.

Then he asked me if I liked it and... I had to do it. I had to lie. He'd worked hard on it and Dad told him it was fine. They call them white lies, but that doesn't make them good. Even if you spare someone's feelings it's still a lie! But I lied, I told him I liked it. It wasn’t bad! I didn't dislike it! But I didn’t like it... I lied, I'm the worst. It made Father happy though! So, it was good right?

Sigh, I just try to avoid those situations because there's no doing right by it. It is what it is and i don't like it, being put in positions where I have to lie or be telling technical truths. It feels uncomfortable. It's deceitful. It's quite distressing how much more "necessary" it's becoming as I get older...

But it's not just lying, I'm not perfect. I feel like all of life is just a process of becoming the best you you can be. My code of ethics are in place largely because I need them or break them myself. They're not meant to be easy! They're a struggle and they should be. These are things I need to improve about myself. I've heard it said that, "The world is a mirror" that it reflects what you show it. So I have to be that example of aspiring goodness that I want to see reflected back to me in everyone I meet.

I've never cheated, never needed to, never done drugs, or bullied. I accidentally misgender people sometimes but i always apologize and correct myself and stand up for them. And, I already mentioned the time I lashed out in anger (I'm still ashamed of that!) But stealing? Well... I've never stolen something not mine but I haven stolen something of someone else's back..

Chaucer Umstead a Gryffindor pureblood stole Yvette Farris's dress robes because she chose to go to the ball with a boy who wasn't him. I tried to reason with him and I even tried talking to the adults but as the date of the Ball rolled closer and nothing was being done I had Brittany sneak me into the Gryffindor common room and I stole it back.

A few repairing charms and a good wash and it was as good as new. Yvette had the best day ever that day. She even hugged me! And Chaucer? Well, I left him an apology letter and had one dance with him at the ball. It was awkward but it was the best I could do. Even now I'm still not sure if what I did was right. I've never felt so conflicted. Both guilty and satisfied at the same time.

quote:

What bit of magic comes extremely easy to you? Who have you tried to help with it that was having trouble? How did they repay you?

I've mentioned this before but I don't like how good at fighting I am. Hexing, counter-hexing, disarming, attacking. I don't like it, violence should be avoided, it should always be the last resort. But Beverly Tully cast a clumsiness jinx on Anthony Webber and I was able to counter hex it and get him back on his feet again. So, I guess it's not all that bad. Focus on the positives, right? He tried to give me his dessert that evening and I convinced him to share it then made sure he had most of it.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 30, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

My backgrounds posted:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

I don't know what to think of Gwendydd Teague. I don't like judging and she and I have been friends, so to speak, since we first got in. Our owls get along, Pryas is always cozied up to Enid in the owlery preening her and such. We both agree it's cute. I wish we got along even half as well as our owls but Gwen is so brash. She treats everything like a game she has to win and she's always showing off. It is very brazen and to be frank a little off putting. It doesn't help that she seems to try even harder around me. But, maybe that's all in my head? She's not lacking for any attention from anyone really. But I... I think she wants me!
...What if I'm just another prize to her?

My backgrounds posted:

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I like Cana H. Lobos von Volfenfeld, Cana to her friends. She's confident but not too arrogant. I go to almost every Quiddich match. It's a rough sport but I like to cheer for my friends and I have friends in every House. If I miss a match it's because I have class or another commitment. I always do my best to be there for my friends though and Cana is one of my friends! Except, earlier this week after a game I was at, Hufflepuff vs. Gryffindor, things went very different! It was a tight fought game and Gryffindor only pulled it out at the end by catching the Snitch. (This is called Harry Pottering, he apparently did this all the time.) After the game I congratulated Cana on her win and she pulled me off to the side. It was a semi-private alcove but I wasn’t concerned. Cana means me no harm and she wasn't gonna rub in her victory like Gwendydd would. (Grr! That woman!) I wonder what she wants to talk about all the same but I don't wonder long because she thanks me for being there then offers me the winning snitch.

I told her I simply couldn’t accept and she said, "Please take it, I love you. Um, I mean like you!" I was shocked, she loved me? How? Sure our owls were friends and we had a lot of classes together and we're usually partners in group projects but love me?! Gosh I had to take it! I didn't wanna hurt her feelings! I like her too but love? Oh dear. She must have noticed my hesitation because she told me I could give it back to her this weekend if I didn't want it. After our date at Hogsmeade. Oh gosh! I just agreed to a date!

So yeah! I always try to be there for my friends but I think Cana wants to be more than friends! What do I do?!

BONUS:

Rauri posted:

________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Maggie McClellan and I were just exploring the grounds trying to find her cat together. We wound up wandering pretty far off the beaten path and we weren't being quiet. We spooked some massive elk and the rest of his herd quite on accident. Maggie must have seen something in that (she's really good at that kind of thing) because she warned me that we were about to encounter a conflict. Well, I knew better than to question her on this stuff (she's really gifted) but I still wanted to help her find her cat! I figured it was best to heed her warning and take our search elsewhere. However, as I started to veer back towards campus a hunting party of irate centaurs enclosed us! (It's kind of neat that Maggie can predict these things!) They were quite cross with us, I thought it was probably because we frightened away their game. They began to berate us and Maggie had a huge personality shift and got really protective!

It was a tense encounter but together the pair of us managed to reason with them and diffuse the conflict. Maggie and I made a great team! It turns out the centaur were more upset about our wandering so dangerously deep into the wood (something about not wanting to get involved in 'wizard drama' ever again) than anything else we did. So we apologized for the inconvenience and the centaur helped us find her cat and even escorted us back to the school grounds safely. I think we made some neat friends!

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 8, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
pre:

|<Door                   [Prof Legate]                    Windows>|
|                                                                 |
|  [    ]  [Glenda]  [Senna]        [Chelsea]  [    ]  [    ]     |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]        [Chaucer]  [Erhard  ]  [  ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [  ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [  ]   |
|  [   ]  [   ]  [ Erin ]  [Valerie][Gillian]  [    ] [   ]       |
|                       [Practice Area]                           |
|_________________________________________________________________|
I'm bad at ASCII art.
Senna sits right in front like the good student she is.
Glenda Murphy sits next to her friend and fellow Hufflepuff, she's recently broken up with her girlfriend Brittany Smith and is being catty about it
Chaucer Umstead a Gryffindor sits next to fellow Gryffindor Erhard. He's a loud mouth and a bully. One of those kinds of Gryffindor who think they're the poo poo and can do no wrong 'cause they're in Harry Potter's House.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
pre:

|<Door                         [Prof Legate]                           Windows>|
|                                                                              |
|  [      ]  [Glenda]   [Senna]             [Chelsea]  [ Angela ]  [Lizbeth]   |
|  [Althea]  [Byron ]   [ Gwen]             [Chaucer]  [ Erhard ]  [       ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [ Cana ]   [Lessy]  [  Mags ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [       ]   |
|  [Melanie] [      ]   [ Erin]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [Zachary ]  [Harriet]   |
|                                                                              |
|                             [Practice Area]                                  |
|______________________________________________________________________________|
Kitty asked me to post for her but she made these choices:
"Put Gwen behind Senna, gotta keep watch of the girl that belongs to her."
Then agreed that Melanie Trix of House Slytherin and Lizbeth Follie of House Ravenclaw would be best.

Melanie is "a muggle-born Slytherin" who doesn't have much talent in Magic but is a bit of a Gwen fangirl. "She is extremely good with potions and herbology." She sits in the back left to properly yandere at Gwen.
Lizbeth Follie is one of Gwen's rivals, they got off on the wrong foot right on the train and have been competing against each other ever since. Lizbeth is always looking for ways to outshine Gwen and sits up front by Angela.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 10, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Cana better not give me the Cold shoulder this weekend.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Won't be posting until Kitty posts so we don't leave her too far behind.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Let's hope Jacob doesn't get Cold feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Senna leveled up and I'm taking A Blank Canvas from the Hollow skin

When you take an action that
embodies one of the Conditions that
you have, and you allow that Condition
to influence your sense of self, cross it
off and add 1 to your roll.

• Locked thread