Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I dunno whether to app my Ghost from last game or go in a new direction. We'll see!

E: I didn't actually come up with this title. :eng99:

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Valerie Easton, the Queen (Famine, Ravenclaw)

(source)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Dull Life

I was delivered under the light of a Lumos. My mother and father were on the lam, as they always were and still are, from those hunting Death Eaters. Since the fall of Voldemort that has been their status quo, even with me weighing them down. Of course, as a half-blood I have no business in the dark of exile, nor did my father. But love conquers all, I suppose. What does blood have to do with ideology anyway?

What matters to my mother is simply "us and them." We are the persecuted and they are the pursuers, therefore we are good and they are bad. Most of us didn't have a choice in the matter, like the Malfoys, but where we differ is that Lucius turned traitor to those who respected him. My mother stayed married to the idea of supremacy... until she met the muggle-born who would be my father. Something about his mystique made her second-guess her biases, and his knowledge of the wizarding world helped immensely in their escape. It only made sense that the only man who could reach her was exactly what Salizar had feared.

One of the most important things my father taught me is that life operates in cycles, time especially. He's pointed to the Wizarding Wars as an example. First has given way to the Second, and who's to say there's not a third one coming? Same thing with generations of family. My grandmother was a Death Eater, my mother was a Death Eater and me? I'm... Cycles are made to be broken?

I did get put in Ravenclaw, like my father, with a surprisingly springy birchwood and Veela hair wand like my mother's. The gentleman at Hogsmeade told me such wands could very well remain untamed, but I was destined for it. The only snag in retreading my parents' course: I was never fond of owls. Cyrus is a lot like me: impure, tempered, and a natural alpha. He's perfect for me.

Of course, reputation preceded me when I came to Hogwarts. I understood that I wasn't persecuted for my existence unlike my parents, and having eluded arrest for long enough they had been somewhat forgotten. An owl did manage to sniff out where I was eventually, though I explained to the Ministry that I was alone at the time.

I wasn't welcome in many of my classes until I started my campaign, The Horsemen: a group of students descended from Death Eaters who have been sought out as monsters. We have known from the start of our education that a third war was entirely possible, so we united to warn the student body that peace is fleeting and took in those who want protection from the impending doom of L--legacy of Voldemort. Great, terrible Voldemort, who is awful and evil.

We're trying to make a difference. We're not Death Eaters, and we don't deserve to be treated as such. Anyone who tries to put these false accusations on us will be proven wrong. The threat is out there, and could very well be among the student body! But we're prepared: we know how Death Eaters operate and can counter it, because we're smarter and more powerful than anyone before us. Who better to warn Hogwarts than the Horsemen: Conquest, War, Famine--that's me, the black horse--and Death.

We know, more than anyone, that which has been is destined to be again.

quote:

Name: Valerie Easton
Skin: The Queen
House: Ravenclaw

Look: Icy, captivating eyes
Origin: Occult leader

Stats: Hot 1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 0

The Clique
You're at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
- they're cultists (with dark oaths and willingness to die)

Streaming
You have a telepathic connection with your gang members. You can always hear their emotions and fears. When you try to hear specific thoughts, gaze into the abyss about it and add 1 to your roll.

Broker
You're attuned to how people value and weaken one another.Whenever you gain a String on someone with any Conditions named in a Skin move, such as blamed, one of them, morbid, dazed, snake food, like a sister to me, like a brother to me, moth to the flame, [outclassed or doomed], mark down 2 Strings on that person instead of 1.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self
They've failed you. This is all their fault, and there's no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Strings
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

Advances
1: Take a move from another skin. (The Wyrm's Broker)

Erin Noctis (Conquest, Slytherin)

(source)

"Forget about Val. Did you see the match last Thursday? What am I saying, of course you did. Well--"

The most jovial of the group, our little Charmstress has a wide variety of domino masks for every occasion and loves to play pranks. When I don't feel like talking to anyone, I let Erin do it for me. Her grandfather and mother were arrested following an accusation from Lucius Malfoy himself. After being let out for not showing any signs of loyalty to Voldemort, her mother was released and got right back on the Death Eater wagon. What a doll Erin is for not letting that part slip.

Martin Awlester (War, Gryffindor)

(source)

"I can hear you, you know. Be thankful I only bash Bludgers."

Popularly called "Mopey Martin," a Beater for Gryffindor's house team. The man who should have been his father was imprisoned after watching both of his parents die during the Battle. Marty's mother, never having known his status as a Death Eater, cried fowl and swore one day to bring to justice her fiance's arrest. Being raised in a household of fury, he bears tribulation like a badge of honor in his desire for strength and control.

Gillian Sothe (Death, Hufflepuff)

(source)

"Don't touch me 'less you want scales on yer arse."

So quick to judge, are we? No, Gilly is not as sociopathic as she lets out. Yes, she has injured a few people, but she's a delight to be around if she likes you. Her giggly and visceral stories leave me absolutely breathless. I'm not entirely sure what atrocities have been done to her family, but I have no doubt she belongs here. She knows Hogwarts like the back of her hand and she's a crackshot with a wand.

Rauri posted:

Tell me about one of your classes, tell me about a secret you've discovered at Hogwarts, tell me about another student that's significant to you for good or ill.

History of Magic
Can you believe it's been seventeen years since the Second Wizarding War and nobody's bothered to research into Voldemort's point of view? Not that he particularly deserves to be honored, mind you, but he was tormented and sought out the friendship of his fellow Slytherin. Sure it escalated to war, but his childhood touches on a key issue: Students get bullied here, and sometimes the aggressors and victims look alike. I'm tired of History being one-sided... and Professor Binns is still a ghost, so he's dead set in his ways (pardon the pun). The only good this class is would be for reading something really worth learning, like the Gringotts Beginner's Budget Book, or Spelling: The Grammar of Spellcasting.

The Melting Hall
Between the greenhouse and the central courtyard is a short innocuous hall. There's nothing remarkable about it unless you let the morning sun hit the stones of its back wall. Each stone appears to turn liquid and allow objects to harmlessly enter and remain. When the sun no longer shines on them they become solid again, encasing any secret notes or special gifts in their stone cocoon until the next morning. It's not the most convenient form of communication, but the professors don't seem to know about it.

Durian "Lockhart" Smythe
The greatnephew of the one and only Gilderoy Lockhart, novelist and former DADA teacher, Durian is trying to instill hope for the self-assured that anything is possible if you don't try. He was sorted into Hufflepuff despite begging and pleading with the hat that he was, in fact, a magical genius after having read his great uncle's entire collection. He's been telling tales of victory over the Horsemen in a variety of trivial matters including broom maintenance and ability to see thestrels. Someday his smart mouth will write a check his bottom can't cash.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 29, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Rauri posted:

Valerie Easton, The Queen
I can't imagine a group like yours doesn't have its share of enemies. What's the worst thing you've ever done as a group against one of them? When did one of your enemies put one on over on you? Is there any professor you suspect of being sympathetic to you?

When I first began the campaign, nobody seemed to understand that we're standing for the greater good, in spite of our continued insistence. For the first year my offers for protection and peace had gone unanswered, or rejected with incredible spite. For one horrible March students distributed flyers of my face with the words "Death Witch Wannabe," which only ceased when I was taken to the headmaster to explain my stance. Now the most frequent reaction is a silent scowl, which I suppose is an improvement. It wasn't until Erin talked to me after Charms one afternoon that I found a partner. The other two just gathered to me naturally.

Martin had it the worst. He was briefly removed from the quidditch team after an awful verbal lashing. He retaliated with a beater's bat, which went as well as one might expect. After his stint in detention, we all fell under watch by prefects and professors alike. We tried to be civil, we really did, but with our special treatment came the onslaught, spurred by a Ravenclaw prefect, Jacqueline Belladova. She monitored us constantly, both in and out of the dormitories, waiting for the slightest error to send me to detention. I remember her walking two paces behind me with a watch to make sure if I was late to my class she was the one to catch me. "No Horseplay, no secret meetings, no hooky," she'd sing at my head. Shameful.

I heard from the others that they had received similar punishment. One among us was going to crack under that sort of pressure.

It was Gilly who fired the first shot, though not at her "pursuer." She passed by us (myself and Jackie) in the hall and suddenly shot an rear end-Head Hex at her. While it was slightly amusing to hear Jacqueline's baffled braying as fur sprouted on her face, she soon retaliated with a series of violent charms that completely subdued both Gilly and myself. So it was that the four Horsemen were sent to detention in the Charms classroom, under the supervision of Professor Franklin Meliora. He's handsome for a thirty-something, as I'm sure any other student could tell you. I don't see it.

The first thing he asked is why we would try to incur the next generation of Death Eaters and I told him quite frankly that that was the exact opposite of our intentions, as I am often forced to do in these situations.

"I know," he said. Not only did he completely understand, but he was a friend of my mother's when they were both students at Hogwarts. He told us we were safe in his classroom whenever we needed council. When our time was done (and he gave Erin a hug, seeing as he's her favorite teacher), he asked me to stay and showed me to his office.

"It's odd," he began, "The young are so determined to oppose their elders that they somehow fall right in line. Wearing improper dress code, spreading slang, even the occasional student-made dark magic. Then when they grow old enough to have power, the world embraces their culture with open arms. They become comfortable, accepting, and before they know it, they look in the glass and see their mother or father looking back at them." Then he reached into his desk and removed a very skull-like mask. "Your mother lost this during the battle. Why don't you hold onto it?"

I think I understood what he was implying: the "unpopular" is destined to be "popular" and vice versa. It's a cycle, like all things. One day my unpopular view is going to be the main view, and the disbelievers will be in the minority. I will be responsible for more and more people until eventually everyone will be able to see it my way. What a wonderful world such would be.

I keep my mother's mask in the trunk by my bed. It fits perfectly, though obviously there's no way I'd ever wear it outside of the dorms.

quote:

What talents and knowledge do you and your group possess due to your backgrounds that your classmates lack? Have you ever put them to use? Why or or not?

Let's start with Martin. He's very strong and agile, sure, but did you know he used to design and solve labyrinths? His mother bought him a great number of maze books as a kid, ranging from straightforward to beautifully complex. He's spent a number of days in the library studying Charmed Tents and the like. Not only can he craft grandiose webs of corridors, he can plot a route through any room with ample time to study. He almost made Seeker because of it, but his temper kept him from focusing on the snitch.
Why, I recall one night he told me Gilly was lost on the third floor after curfew and he tracked her down and led her out in ten minutes flat without being seen by anyone. By my observation, he could have made it in five, but I suppose he had to console her or what have you.
He's also an excellent Care of Magical Creatures student. That hasn't come up in our "adventures," but it's worth noting.

Now Erin. She may be a terrific charm- and jinx-caster and she can surely gob your ear off, but she's also an adept potioneer. She knows where to find even the most obscure components. She learned most of them from her mother, the "practicing" Death Eater. Very volatile stuff, what she knows, but it works wonders.
And you remember when I mentioned the domino masks? She hand-crafts them, sometimes for fun, other times as a commission for students. She makes every mask fit every face because she has a healthy supply of Polyjuice Potion components. That also came in handy when James Catther volunteered his hair to us. See, James is a close friend of Durian Smythe (remember him?), and we considered it a perfect opportunity to prank him with a game of Vile Vials. Erin, as James, told him that one of the six vials we prepared for him was actually a vomit-inducing concoction and played to see who would lose.
What we didn't tell him was that they were all disgusting. When Durian bravely volunteered to go first he was ill for two straight hours.

Gilly is something special. She's constantly out past curfew sneaking around the castle grounds, she knows obscure hexes, and her attitude toward other students is deplorable. She says her father taught her to grift and steal at a young age, but apparently she also knows how to break into the Ravenclaw dormitories and leer over my bed like a cat with a dead mouse in her mouth. She'd give any sensible person the willies.
There's also her knowledge of the Shadow Corridors, a system of hidden magical passages Death Eaters used to flee if left without magic. A few of them lead directly to L—lair of Voldemort, his meeting place. She never used those, but others kept her safe when she was living on the streets. Almost all of the Corridors in and out of Hogwarts were severed by Dumbledore and the other professors, which is unfortunate.
...This part's just between you and me, okay?
She knows how to make Dark Marks, or at least something like them. She showed it to me so I could give it to the other Horsemen, since I'm their leader. When I touch my wand to the spot on my sternum, the other three can feel a chill on theirs as it turns from light pink to black, and they can send signals to me in the same way. It's a neat little tool we have.

As for me, I'm the most educated in wizarding history and the most well-spoken of the group. My father taught me everything about wizardry before I ever learned the history of Muggle England. A lot of people don't remember the First Wizarding War, or what led up to it. Just the fact that the second one happened and we "won." Forget about the countless deaths on both sides of the conflict as long as Harry Potter gets to be the hero in everyone's parchment scribbles.
I suppose I can also intimidate people with my demeanor. I'm a very blunt person, and my pallour scares the more "mainstream" students. I was the first person to ride a broom, not because I was first in line but because nobody wanted to mount their broomstick for fear of what I might do when prompted by their usurpation.
It's only natural that I'm the one in charge. I'm simply the most qualified.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 30, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Rauri posted:

Valerie Easton, The Queen
Which member of your gang do you trust most? Why? Which do you think would be first to betray you? Have they ever tried anything before?

Excuse me, but "gang"? Are you implying something? Because we're not a gang so much as we are a very passionate non-sanctioned school club. We may not be star students, but we're not thugs.

Out of everyone I think I trust Erin the most. She and I have a connection: we can read each other the way (I assume) sisters can, and when we do sense something wrong we know how to help the other one feel better. Of course, that's more of a fire-forged friendship tempered over the years, but at its roots is a gesture of altruism.

She spoke to me. After the flyers and the trip to the headmaster, she approached me, sat down and started a conversation. That was the first time since the smear campaign, or even before then, that someone wanted to speak to me instead of about me, or at me. She was perfectly pleasant the entire time, even as my defense mechanisms kicked in and I systematically dismembered a wax figurine of the late Headmaster Severus Snape on the table in front of her. (I fixed him later, like I always do.) She's persistent, and she understood what I wanted. What more could I have asked for? She's my best associate.

Now obviously I need to mention that stunt Gilly pulled with Jackie (sometimes she still hee-haws for fun), but to be completely honest, that only makes me trust her more. Her power is being used to help me, and that's the sort of thing I respect. No, Martin is the dangerous one.

He's very ambitious in the Shakespearian sense. With alarming regularity he approaches me with sudden epiphanies of Utopian scenes he's envisioned for Hogwarts and how we would be ruling over all which, don't get me wrong, is very appealing to my baser prospects. But it's not how I see things: In a perfect world we would have the power to stamp out the oppression while protecting none but our own. We have... philosophical debates about the matter, and it seems like he doesn't respect my position as de facto leader when the Horsemen was my idea in the first place.

Seeing as we're all equal, he should understand his place and let me do the planning in the future.

Rauri posted:

What do you think of the rumors of a Tri-Wizard tournament? What evidence that Something is afoot have you come across? Do you think you'd make a good champion?

It makes sense for the school's sake. After hosting a series of tragedies it shows that we have recuperated and seek the glory we once held. And symbolically it simply makes sense that the Horsemen would usher in this new age of wizarding fame. We're fully in support of equal-opportunity events like this, and if one of the Horsemen won, the stigma would finally be shaken off and we could be seen as who were really are: heroes.

Of course, there's always rumors. The most prevalent is one in which, wonder of wonders, Lor--Pardon me, Lowdown Dirty Voldemort returns from his death, even when we have definitive proof that he's dead, causes destruction and we're right back where we started back in the age of the band Pulp. Remember them? Nobody admits it, but they do. What a sad pathetic world we would be in.

Another rumor is that the Horsemen would try to sabotage the tournament as the Death Eaters did, and that is blatantly false. We would be just as spirited as every other student, especially if one of our own was competing. We would do everything in our power to make sure they succeed, as opposed to the Death Eaters who sought to make everyone fail. Huge difference.

And this one's odd. Apparently if there's a Tri-Wizard Tournament, the Care of Magical Creatures professor will publicly boycott the whole thing because of the way dragons were treated the last time around. That doesn't interest me very much, but it's something to consider.

All in all, I'm not really the right candidate for the Tri-Wizard Tournament. That honor would go to Martin, being as he's the strongest and most physically capable--but don't be fooled. The Horsemen would all be winners if he won, because we would help him out immensely. His thinking is entirely spacial, which leaves us with the logical aspects of the tourney.

Plus, he really wants to have the title. Needs it. Craves it. And with me behind him, the potential we have. It's the kind of passion that can't be tamed except by my own hands! Ahahahahahaaa!

*cough*

Excuse me. That was rather brash, wasn't it.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Valerie Easton, the Queen

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

Gibson Lee is a seedy little boy with a reputation. He's been sent to detention more times than three of us can count (Gilly says seven times a year on average), but he acts altruistic as if he has a conscience. How does he keep his head above water when the slightest infraction gets the four Horsemen under surveillance. What's his secret?

This is exactly the kind of hypocrisy that causes suffering for those of us raised in unstable households. We sons and daughters of Death Eaters are needlessly put down while people like Lee can gallavant around causing Gryffindor ill without as much as a slap on the wrist? I'll get to the bottom of it. All students deserve to be equal. No exceptions.

quote:

_________ and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another

Thinking Cana for this.

Ferrosol posted:

I was thinking Gwendydd or Valerie for this one. But if anyone else wants to chime in please feel free.

I think Valerie is the perfect choice for figuring out how "real people" act.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

pre:

|<Door                      [Prof Legate]                       Windows>|
|                                                                       |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]             [Chelsea]  [        ]  [   ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [     ]             [       ]  [Erhard  ]  [   ]   |
|  [Britt.]  [Cana]  [Lessy]  [       ]  [       ]  [Victoria]  [   ]   |
|  [      ]  [    ]  [Erin ]  [Valerie]  [Gillian]  [        ]  [   ]   |
|                          [Practice Area]                              |
|_______________________________________________________________________|

Added trusted Horsemen Gillian Sothe and Erin Noctis.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

Cana and I stumbled across / were involved in something dangerous one day - but made it out ok. Describe what happened and take a string on one another.

Martin, as you may know, is a Quidditch player first and foremost. Because of that, he's usually away for practice and... extra practice. That Cana gal is quite the captain with all the ambition of, well, myself. So when Martin gave me the "Horse Call" during practice, I had no idea what to expect.

When I came to the field on my broom around sunset I heard shouting and saw dear Martin sprawled out on the lawn. I heard it all from Cana: another set of Bludgers was tossed out of the stands and sought him out. I followed Cana as we looked for evidence of tampering. The storage room had been unlocked after being dispelled of its protective charm, but left a damning clue in the form of a reddish brown tuft of fur. Cana panicked immediately, but I understood the situation completely. It had to be a werewolf.

So we stalked and prowled trying to find more distinguishing marks, like claws or paw prints, and finally we caught it in the halls.

It was actually Martin's cat, Growley, after he forgot to re-apply the Anti-Alohomora Charm, or lock the door... So Growley knocked over a Bludger box and knocked him out.

We told him it was a werewolf when he came to. Now he locks the drat door. Lesson learned.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

There's something about Lee that sets me off. I'm not saying he's hot, but...

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

For Valerie's advance, I'll take the Wyrm move Broker.

You're attuned to how people value and weaken one another.Whenever you gain a String on someone with any Conditions named in a Skin move, such as blamed, one of them, morbid, dazed, snake food, like a sister to me, like a brother to me, moth to the flame, [outclassed or doomed], mark down 2 Strings on that person instead of 1.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Zach must be more Cold-blooded than he lets on.

• Locked thread