Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
In the red corner, he's seen your future and - sorry to say - it doesn't end well for you, it's OmegaGoo as Seth Cremmul!

In the blue corner, strong, silent, and carrying enough heavy ordinance to level Fort Knox, it's Kai Tave as Ottavia Six!

:frogsiren: This battle will use Special Actions. :frogsiren:

Commentary/heckling welcome!

Which will find their foe first: The cyborg's sharpshooting sights, or the soothsayer's psychic skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 1

Seth Cremmul
20 Life
Discard 1: Wyrding | Grasp
Discard 2: Fool's | Dash
Finisher: Reading Fate

Ottavia Six
20 Life
Discard 1: Demolition | Dash
Discard 2: Snapback | Grasp
Finisher: Double Barrel

-- Seth predicts Drive.
-- Ottavia Target Locks: 4

-- Seth has Priority 1. Ottavia has Priority 0. Seth is Active Player!

-- Seth retreats 2 spaces.

-- Vanishing Burst has Range 3~4. Ottavia is at Range 4. Seth hits!
-- Whh...baff! After Soak 1, Ottavia takes 2 damage!
-- Ottavia's Stun Guard 3 holds.

-- Ottavia misses due to Vanishing's effect.

Wol fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 14, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's too late in the evening for me to think, I'll sleep on it and get a PM in then, but this seems like as good a time as any to get some clarification regarding how the styles that add +X~Y to the range of a base work. So if I use a style that adds +2~3 and use it on a base that has range 1, does the overall range of the attack become 3 (1 minimum range for the base, an additional 2 minimum range makes 3, and a max range of 3, so 3 either way) or does it become 3~4 (the base range of 1 is added to both the minimum and maximum range the style brings into play)? I have a feeling this is something I'm going to need to know to play Ottavia well.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah best sleep on it :v

the answer is that range 1 is the same thing as range 1~1, for the purposes of adding range modifiers

so you end up with 1~1 + 2~3 = 3~4

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

yeah best sleep on it :v

the answer is that range 1 is the same thing as range 1~1, for the purposes of adding range modifiers

so you end up with 1~1 + 2~3 = 3~4

Perfect, thanks.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Ottavia is my favorite character for no-holds-barred matchups. She can be absolutely brutal once you realize one important thing:

Ottavia is NOT a prediction character.

Seth is a prediction character. Lymn is a prediction character. Xentia is a prediction character. Ottavia is a hardcore denial character, like Arec or Lixis.

Because here's the thing. Ottavia doesn't actually care much if she gets the Target Lock right. Unlike Lymn/Seth/Xenita/Malandrax, a wrong guess doesn't weaken Ottavia's attack. The Target Lock is purely a tool for covering her rear end. If there's one move that will seriously hurt your chosen pair, you can shut that move out. If there's several dangerous pairs, you can name the worst one and force your opponent to play suboptimally, eeking out the incremental advantage. And with the ability to occasionally create win-win scenarios, Ottavia is usually winning the long game.

Ottavia is one of the characters I consider above the curve. Because if you know what you're doing, you can break the RPS mechanic over your knee.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Gutter Owl posted:

Ottavia is one of the characters I consider above the curve. Because if you know what you're doing, you can break the RPS mechanic over your knee.

Malandrax laughs at the fact you think there's an RPS mechanic in the game. Not that it's relevant to this match of course.

Playing as Seth is going to confuse me, considering that's my name as well. :psyduck:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

OmegaGoo posted:

Malandrax laughs at the fact you think there's an RPS mechanic in the game. Not that it's relevant to this match of course.

Playing as Seth is going to confuse me, considering that's my name as well. :psyduck:

Didn't I once run a game where you were playing against Seth? At least this will be a little less confusing than that.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:frogsiren: Never back down! It's time to...FIGHT!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Sefer posted:

Didn't I once run a game where you were playing against Seth? At least this will be a little less confusing than that.

You did. I was playing Sagas. That was confusing for other reasons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The good news for OmegaGoo is that if he doesn't kill me this match, my job will :suicide:

I don't know how in-depth my analysis can really be here (or rather, how in-depth I want to go before things get started as this looks to be a match where giving away one's thoughts in advance can be dangerous). I'd like to thank Gutter Owl for giving me an inadvertent leg up by pointing out the obvious (to everyone but me) in that Ottavia's gimmick is less about prediction and more about denial. I would, I like to think, have picked up on that in a few beats, but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Predicting exact moves is still a bit tricky for me...I've done it to Trasson before but only rarely and only after intense effort...so we'll see how well I do with a character that relies much more strongly upon it.

As for Seth, well, his thing seems much more obvious on the surface...predict the base, win a prize. Even by simply guessing at random he has a 20% chance each beat of getting it right, but most beats aren't going to shake out where every one of an opponent's bases are equally plausible choices, so Seth's chances of nailing a prediction are only going to go up as the match goes on. To be honest, while his gimmick looks handy...+2 power and priority each is nothing to sneeze at...it's really his unique base that worries me since as long as it's in his hand it could turn into an automatic hard counter for anything I do so long as he antes correctly. I feel like I'm going to have to do a better job of choosing moves that don't box me into a predictable corner than I did last game, so I apologize in advance if my rate of reply slows down a bit, but I'll be plugging away at it.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 2

Seth Cremmul
20 Life
Discard 1: Vanishing | Burst
Discard 2: Wyrding | Grasp

Ottavia Six
18 Life
Discard 1: Cover | Strike
Discard 2: Demolition | Dash

-- Seth predicts Drive.

-- Seth has Priority 9. Ottavia has Priority 2. Seth is Active Player!

-- Seth pulls Ottavia 1 space.

-- Compelling Dash does not hit.
-- Seth advances 3 spaces.
-- Seth pulls Ottavia 1 space.

-- Ottavia misses due to Dash's effect.
-- Ottavia retreats 1 space.

Wol fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 3, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I suppose that could have gone worse.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Well I suppose that could have gone worse.

Sorry. With both Demolition and Snapback in your discard pile, the only thing that could have hit me this beat was an Anti-Personnel Drive... which predicting Drive beat out. That beat was mine. Of course, I only dropped 2 damage on you and put you at optimal Ottavia distance, so you know, not my brightest moment.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Nah, there's nothing to be sorry for, it was a good play. I meant it, that could have gone worse for me. Could have gone better but you can't win'em all. I was aware that Vanishing Burst was a possibility, I even mentioned it as such to WoI, but I was trying to hedge my bets about other possible moves and, well, something's gotta give somewhere.

Before the match even started I was thinking "mmmmmaybe I should keep Snapback or Demolition in my starting hand," and I think this illustrates that I probably should have. I need to start curating my opening moves better now that I'm no longer quite as blindly stumblefucking around instead of just going "green and yellow out, done."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
It's almost always correct to start with Anti-Personnel in your discard. Still, builds character!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Wol posted:

It's almost always correct to start with Anti-Personnel in your discard. Still, builds character!

Was it Mystic Mongol who beaned me for 6 on beat 1 as Ottavia vs. Tanis? This was, of course, with the pre-Fate starting spaces?

But yeah, be happy I didn't open with a 7 for 2 trade...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'd have been fine with that.

Oh, you mean 7 damage to me. Well that's obviously a different story.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

OmegaGoo posted:

Was it Mystic Mongol who beaned me for 6 on beat 1 as Ottavia vs. Tanis? This was, of course, with the pre-Fate starting spaces?

But yeah, be happy I didn't open with a 7 for 2 trade...

Yeah, with pre-Fate starting spaces it was a lot more viable to start with Anti-Personnel (depending on the matchup, of course). I don't even know what matchup you'd want to start with Anti-Personnel with these starting positions, though. Mayyybe against Kaitlyn?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:frogsiren: Ottavia, what target do you lock?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I technically ante first, and I don't see it in the Beat (beg your pardon if I'm ninjaing you).

Ante Drive.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Oh whoops, thought I already put that up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh sorry I forgot that ante would work this way rather than just doing it via PM because whoops, we both have important stuff to ante now and things like who antes first matters.

I will Target Lock 4.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:frogsiren: Seth, show me the steps to this dance.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
Put your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,

But for reals, Pull her 1, advance 3, pull her 1.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 3

Seth Cremmul
20 Life
Discard 1: Compelling | Dash
Discard 2: Vanishing | Burst

Ottavia Six
18 Life
Discard 1: Snapback | Shooter
Discard 2: Cover | Strike

-- Seth passes.
-- Ottavia Target Locks: 5
-- Seth predicts Drive.

-- Seth has Priority 5. Ottavia has Priority 2. Seth is Active Player!

-- Seth advances 1 space.

-- Wyrding Drive has Range 1. Ottavia is at Range 1. Seth hits!
-- Swock! Ottavia takes 3 damage!
-- Ottavia is stunned.

-- Ottavia is stunned.

Wol fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 8, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The bright side is we seem to be equally bad at predicting the other.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

The bright side is we seem to be equally bad at predicting the other.

I didn't actually care what move you were doing. If you called my number, I was screwed. If you didn't, I got to do what I wanted.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Let me have my victories where I can get them.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Let me have my victories where I can get them.

But I'm not only here to win, I'm here to crush your spirits hopelessly and horrendously. :glomp:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

OmegaGoo posted:

But I'm not only here to win, I'm here to crush your spirits hopelessly and horrendously. :glomp:

Well it's nice to feel important. What the heck, I'll take it.

Probably won't get my move in until some time tomorrow, I've got work, but here are my thoughts on the last beat as sent to WoI and why I wound up playing it like I did.

quote:

Okay, so the first exchange didn't work out in my favor BUT on the other hand A). he didn't predict my base and B). we're now at range, and also C). he doesn't have Vanishing in hand anymore.

So let's review my options. He has three styles in hand which have priority values of +0, +0, and -4 respectively. He has no style with any sort of ranged addition to it...Fool's will allow him to reduce MY range, Mimic's allows him to mirror my own movement, and Compelling can move ME.

So his options here are kind of limited. I can identify two fairly solid moves he could make based on what he's got available to him:

1). Compelling Drive. Good priority, outmatched only by Grasp, with this he could move me close then move forward and hit me, stun me, and even shove me back into a corner. All in all, this would be some bad, bad news.

2). Mimic's Dash. First he races forward three spaces, camping out in my minimum range dead-zone created by comboing, say, Snapback with anything, and then Mimic's allows him to move in step with me whether I go forward or backward, effectively allowing him to dodge my attacks by hugging me.

Oh and I guess he could use Something Shot, maybe Fool's, buuuuuut I don't feel like that's an especially strong option given it can be clashed out easily by me and I think he knows that.

Of those two Compelling Drive concerns me more. One's straight-up avoidance but the other is a way for him to continue to hurt me AND reposition me for the worse. I mean, I won't like it if Seth is up in my grill but I'd rather that than being forced into predictability trying to escape from being backed up against a wall.

I would love to drop an Anti-Personnel Burst here but I feel like that's a bit too obvious, and besides which Compelling Drive would duck underneath it even if it would keep me safe from reprisal in turn. Snapback Grasp would out-prioritize a Compelling Drive...if he doesn't guess Grasp as his ante. That's really the crux of the matter still, can I select a base that won't give him extra priority? If he guesses then he gets a free hit. If he doesn't I might be able to make it work.

So what should I go with, assuming I Target Lock at 4 (the value of Compelling Drive)? Snapback Shooter is an attractive option...but doing so makes me vulnerable to missing via that Mimic's Dash combo. Cybernetic Shooter could prevent me from having that dead zone...but if he goes with Fool's Shot then I'll miss and he'll hit which will suck. Of all the bad potential options, one of them (Mimic's Dash) doesn't actually hurt me while the others generally DO.

So if I want to hedge my bets, the sensible play here seems to be

Snapback Shooter
Target Lock 4

Now let's see how it all falls apart.

So I had it in mind that Dash was on the table (though I was expecting Mimic's instead of Compelling) but I was more concerned about Compelling Drive coming out. The smarter play in retrospect would have been to Snapback Grasp at priority 5 then Target Lock at 9 to try and out-prioritize Drive and deny Dash, but the metagame conceit of Seth's predictive ante is causing me to, probably unwisely, try and make decisions about which of my moves seem more obvious than others and attempting to find a balance between "so good it's obvious" and "actually dumb and bad."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Well it's nice to feel important. What the heck, I'll take it.

Probably won't get my move in until some time tomorrow, I've got work, but here are my thoughts on the last beat as sent to WoI and why I wound up playing it like I did.

So I had it in mind that Dash was on the table (though I was expecting Mimic's instead of Compelling) but I was more concerned about Compelling Drive coming out. The smarter play in retrospect would have been to Snapback Grasp at priority 5 then Target Lock at 9 to try and out-prioritize Drive and deny Dash, but the metagame conceit of Seth's predictive ante is causing me to, probably unwisely, try and make decisions about which of my moves seem more obvious than others and attempting to find a balance between "so good it's obvious" and "actually dumb and bad."

You'll find that I assume things that aren't true all the time that turn into excellent reads. Unless I'm playing Malandrax.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
:frogsiren: Ottavia, what's your target lock?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Before that I'm curious, is there any value in Seth declining to ante for some reason I'm not aware of?

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
If he knows you can't outspeed/maneuver him without a correct target lock. He could also be messing with you to see what YOU think what HE would want to do. Or he just expects a dash or something that he couldnt out-prioritize anyway... in other words; just cuz

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Ldsity posted:

If he knows you can't outspeed/maneuver him without a correct target lock. He could also be messing with you to see what YOU think what HE would want to do. Or he just expects a dash or something that he couldnt out-prioritize anyway... in other words; just cuz

Look, I know you play me IRL a bunch, but get out of my head!

Kai Tave, I'll be happy to share my thought process post-beat so you are less confused in the future.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?

OmegaGoo posted:

Look, I know you play me IRL a bunch, but get out of my head!

Kai Tave, I'll be happy to share my thought process post-beat so you are less confused in the future.

Hey, if you leave the door unlocked, I assume I'm welcome to stay as long as I stay out of the room that's 3rd door on the right when you take the stairs up to the second floor. The front even has a sign sayin :getin:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I'd have assumed that even in the case of something like Seth knowing that he's capable of out-prioritizing you regardless of whether he antes or not you'd still want to try and go for that +2 Power because it's not really like anteing costs you anything if you guess incorrectly, but this is my third game ever so what do I know?

Target Lock 5

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Kai Tave posted:

Well I'd have assumed that even in the case of something like Seth knowing that he's capable of out-prioritizing you regardless of whether he antes or not you'd still want to try and go for that +2 Power because it's not really like anteing costs you anything if you guess incorrectly, but this is my third game ever so what do I know?

Target Lock 5

The point is to confuse you into messing up your Target Lock. And to just confuse you in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Ante Drive.

• Locked thread