Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
So much for 5,000 years of civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

What is greece?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
is this what a modern day bank run looks like? Lame

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it's what happens when you give piles of money to lesser beings.

Only germans, dutch can be trusted with piles of loan money

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
they're the ones who did the argonauts right?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i feel bad for greece, but then im reminded they probably brought this upon themselves and deserve it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

they're the ones who did the argonauts right?

what's scarier german bankers or skeletons with swords?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

etalian posted:

what's scarier german bankers or skeletons with swords?

This doesn't answer my question.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

the .bak stands for bankrupt, btw

An ominous juxtaposition:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Greece is the first domino. Just wait until the others fall (Italy, Portugal, Spain, etc.).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nnnotime posted:

Greece is the first domino. Just wait until the others fall (Italy, Portugal, Spain, etc.).

Couldn't Italy float itself on tourist money?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 28, 2015

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Opa!!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i get my news only thru imgur.com memes, is this the work of the gays?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

nnnotime posted:

I know this based on my extensive education and research. In fact, I have all of my hard evidence right here...

*faaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrtttt!*

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
so is the TL;DR of this that the EU is a failed idea?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sandy beaches and cheap food for the Germans.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

i feel bad for greece, but then im reminded they probably brought this upon themselves and deserve it.

Pretty much. In layman's terms prior to entering into the EU they moved a lot of liabilities around not unlike a shell game to hide how much debt they had - but it was a bad shell game its been shown many inside the EU suspected this was the case but let them in anyways because: stupid.

They had asinine government benefits packages like 6 weeks paid vacation coupled with 80% retirement pay at age 53 and are now awestruck as to why they don't have any money; somehow - this is all Merkel's fault!

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
fun and cool fact: greece has been in default or in a similar crisis for about half the years it has been independent from the ottomans, lol

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

fun and cool fact: greece has been in default or in a similar crisis for about half the years it has been independent from the ottomans, lol

Yeah their problem is nothing new - it's pretty amazing the stupidity the bureaucrats at the EU had in letting them in.

Well not that amazing really.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

kick them back out

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Thunder Moose posted:

Pretty much. In layman's terms prior to entering into the EU they moved a lot of liabilities around not unlike a shell game to hide how much debt they had - but it was a bad shell game its been shown many inside the EU suspected this was the case but let them in anyways because: stupid.

They had asinine government benefits packages like 6 weeks paid vacation coupled with 80% retirement pay at age 53 and are now awestruck as to why they don't have any money; somehow - this is all Merkel's fault!

Angela Merkel?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

so is the TL;DR of this that the EU is a failed idea?

Yeah the concept of wedding countries with vastly different economies to a single currency was a horrible idea.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Grandma: will you vote on this referendum?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-28/tsipras-asking-grandma-to-figure-out-if-greek-debt-deal-is-fair

quote:

Economists with PhDs and hedge-fund traders can barely stay on top of the vagaries of Greece’s spiraling debt crisis. Now, try getting grandma to vote on it.

That’s what Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras is doing by calling a snap referendum for July 5 on the latest bailout package from creditors. The 68-word ballot question namechecks four international institutions and asks voters for their opinion on two highly technical documents that weren’t made public before the referendum call and were only translated into Greek on Saturday.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thunder Moose posted:

It's Merkel's fault that Germany is so hardline on the negotiations and going 'we don't care if you country collapses just keep cutting state spending so you can keep paying the interest on our loans.'

This is basically loan sharking on a national scale I don't see why everyone is being so thick about it. Like yeah don't take loans you can't afford but when the creditor shows up and breaks your kneecaps that's not chill either.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Last thing I heard from Merkel was that she wanted some boob touches at makeout point

Maybe you guys are getting a little carried away

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

It's Merkel's fault that Germany is so hardline on the negotiations and going 'we don't care if you country collapses just keep cutting state spending so you can keep paying the interest on our loans.'

Yeah. The whole thing is both sides being greedy as gently caress. EU (and germany and like in particular) enjoyed exploiting Greece and the like as long as it benefited them to fuel their own economic engine, until poo poo hit the fan too badly. And Greece kept spending it on mostly stupid poo poo instead of putting a lot towards things that could pay off like infrastructure/etc while suckling at the teet, and was too greedy to realize that the house of cards has to come down someday. And while they aren't wrong that austerity is gunna gently caress them harder, they do share responsibility for loving themselves.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 28, 2015

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Moridin920 posted:

This is basically loan sharking on a national scale I don't see why everyone is being so thick about it. Like yeah don't take loans you can't afford but when the creditor shows up and breaks your kneecaps that's not chill either.

The nerve of loaners expecting all of their money back with interest right?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Greece could probably float on tourism money too if they hadn't scared off all the tourists with their dumb golden dawn nazi poo poo.

Also it would help if they managed to collect taxes on anything ever.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
eurozowned

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Why are the south of places always so lovely?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Thunder Moose posted:

Except you don't give money willy nilly when you know that actually can't pay it back.

It's not unlike the subprime mortgaging shitfest that happened in america. All the shitfuck financial institutions knew that these people couldn't ever pay them back if poo poo hit the fan but they hoped to run it out as long as possible. then when the bubble burst, they started blaming all the poors for taking out loans they couldn't afford.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 28, 2015

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Lord of Pie posted:

Greece could probably float on tourism money too if they hadn't scared off all the tourists with their dumb golden dawn nazi poo poo.

Also it would help if they managed to collect taxes on anything ever.
From what I gather from family overseas Greece had a lot of their priceless historical pieces/locations pilfered at some point and is not what you might expect. :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thunder Moose posted:

Let me loan you a large sum of money during a difficult time when you are vulnerable knowing you might not be able to pay it back. Later, if you are unable to pay, I will come destroy your assets one by one until you cough up. I will also loan you more money to cover the initial interest/debt, but only if you do me some favors.

This is all perfectly aboveboard and how typical loans function. Not at all say, like a mafia loanshark.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone for ONE SECOND considered that Angela may need some boob touches?

God drat

I know this is GBS but let's have the tiniest amount of sensitivity, please.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Don't forget that the Chinese markets are going to crash soon. Once again the USA is on top of all the corpses of people that can't afford healthcare.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
It's is starting to feel like D&D in here.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Xaris posted:

except you don't give money willy nilly when you know that actually can't pay it back.

it's not unlike the subprime mortgaging shitfest that happened in america. all shitfuck financial institutions knew that these people couldn't ever pay them back if poo poo hit the fan but they hoped to run it out as long as possible. then when the bubble burst, they started blaming all the poors for taking out loans they couldn't afford.

Fair point but we aren't talking clueless average Joe taking out a housing loan - this is a national government who has people with masters and Ph.D's in economics. The former is immoral for preying on ignorance.

Greece should not have taken the loan knowing full well upon reflection of their own balance sheets that this wouldn't work out. Trying to weasel out now and say "but we don't want to pay you, it's not fair" is just plain spoiled imo.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Why is China gonna crash, thought they were doing pretty good

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Why is China gonna crash, thought they were doing pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

It's is starting to feel like D&D in here.

edit: drat it. I don't want to be in D&D for this.

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 28, 2015

• Locked thread