Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rscott posted:

Iceland seemed to do much much better by giving the imf the finger, but perhaps the situations aren't directly comparable.

IIRC Iceland was largely private debt not sovereign, and not being in the EU they could default without collapsing the Euro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

ocrumsprug posted:

IIRC Iceland was largely private debt not sovereign, and not being in the EU they could default without collapsing the Euro.

There is literally no reason that the Germans couldn't just bail out their banks directly. The cycle of " we give you credit with strings attached to give to your creditors, which happens to be us", ended up costing the ECB a lot more money than if they took proper fiscal policy in 2010.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
One of the reasons there were specific reforms demanded by the creditors was that Noone had any trust anymore for the Greek government. Which isn't entirely unreasonable considering what happened.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Also take note, the evil banks that provided the loans were deceived by the Greek government on the performance of the Greek economy. Could they have still seen this crisis coming? Possibly, but painting the Greek government as innocent victims in this is far, far from the truth.

If the Greek government (and the banks that helped them cook their books to get in the EU and benefit from Germany's credit rating) were so wily and impossibly brilliant that even the world's foremost financial experts who stake their careers and make their living on evaluating risks couldn't see a problem, then how were the Greek citizens supposed to figure it out and why are they responsible for the fraud perpetrated upon them?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Syriza should've just hardcore played the Putin card from the beginning, introduced the ruble or a directly convertible new drachma rapidly printed in Russian printers, rented out one of its islands for a Russian base, and so on.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Shibawanko posted:

Syriza should've just hardcore played the Putin card from the beginning, introduced the ruble or a directly convertible new drachma rapidly printed in Russian printers, rented out one of its islands for a Russian base, and so on.

yes, russia is a rich country with a strong economy and could certainly afford to prop up greece

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

And the Greek Prime Minister is delusional

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33322754

quote:

Greek PM Alexis Tsipras has threatened to resign over the result of a snap referendum on Greece's debt crisis due on Sunday.

Mr Tsipras said a clear vote against austerity would help Greece negotiate a better settlement to the crisis.

Otherwise, he warned, he would not stay in office to oversee more cuts.

Greece's bailout expires on Tuesday, the same day it faces a deadline to repay a €1.6bn (£1.1bn) loan to the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

The loan is to be repaid by 18:00 Washington time (22:00 GMT).

As the deadline nears, reports in Greece say a last-minute offer was made by creditors on Monday night.

EU leaders have warned that a rejection of the creditors' proposals on Sunday would mean Greece leaving the eurozone - though Mr Tsipras says he does not want this to happen.

Talks between Greece and its creditors broke down last week, leading to Greek banks having to shut this week.

This guy is an idiot.

If you want the Greek people to have a choice, great but make it between accepting the deal or leaving the Euro. Not this emotional bullshit where a No vote will help negotiate a better deal (it's clear it won't) as well as stay in the Euro and if they vote Yes to the deal he'll resign and hinder the implementation of the deal.

There's nothing to be gained by being this wishy-washy at this point and everything to lose.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shadoer posted:

This guy is an idiot.

If you want the Greek people to have a choice, great but make it between accepting the deal or leaving the Euro. Not this emotional bullshit where a No vote will help negotiate a better deal (it's clear it won't) as well as stay in the Euro and if they vote Yes to the deal he'll resign and hinder the implementation of the deal.

There's nothing to be gained by being this wishy-washy at this point and everything to lose.

He ran on a platform of ending austerity, if the electorate now decide they want more austerity after all he should resign rather than implement policies he doesn't agree with. I know that the Troika prefers parties that run on an anti-austerity platform and then when elected do an about face and betray all their promises but I think that isn't how democracy is supposed to work.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MeLKoR posted:

He ran on a platform of ending austerity, if the electorate now decide they want more austerity after all he should resign rather than implement policies he doesn't agree with. I know that the Troika prefers parties that run on an anti-austerity platform and then when elected do an about face and betray all their promises but I think that isn't how democracy is supposed to work.
Him resigning in the event of a Yes vote would be necessary. The absurdity is Tsipras' claim that a No vote will strengthen Greece's negotiating position rather than see it unceremoniously dumped out of the eurozone.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah him eventually resigning is understandable. But considering the situation, staying on to implement the program if the greeks vote for it is what a responsible leader should do.

Still there's a reasonable case for resigning since he is from the anti-austerity party. The "A No vote will put us in a better negotiating position and we will still stay in the Euro" is complete and utter bullshit. There is no more negotiating at this point, the ECB has made that crystal clear. It's either take the deal, or bringing back the drachma and inflating the poo poo out of it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Surely you can see how holding the referendum after the deadline, then resigning, then having a new election before being able to accept the Eurogroup plan, if it's still on the table, isn't doing Greece's economy any favors in the meantime. If any need for a mandate existed after only five months, Syriza should have just held a new election.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

Him resigning in the event of a Yes vote would be necessary. The absurdity is Tsipras' claim that a No vote will strengthen Greece's negotiating position rather than see it unceremoniously dumped out of the eurozone.
You're right in that Greece should have done this back in 2010, not now. Back then a greek exit would be much worse for the rest of the EU, after these 5 years the foreign private banks that would have taken most of the hit managed to successfully dump their bad loans on the german workers and have the german government become the debt collector and all the greeks got from bowing to the Troika pressure was the loss of 1/3 their GDP and the doubling of their debt. Still, sunk cost and all that, at some point you have to make the decision to cut off your foot rather than let the gangrene spread further.

Sinteres posted:

Surely you can see how holding the referendum after the deadline, then resigning, then having a new election before being able to accept the Eurogroup plan, if it's still on the table, isn't doing Greece's economy any favors in the meantime.
Again, if he believes that austerity is the worst option for Greece he's under no obligation to implement it. The whole thing is being setup for him to take the blame for the failure of the austerity program like the previous 5 years never happened, why would he put himself in charge of a program he believes will ruin his country when he's already being blamed for the failure of that program as it is?

quote:

If any need for a mandate existed after only five months, Syriza should have just held a new election.
Because surely simply resigning from the government in the middle of the negotiations when he didn't immediately get what he promised his voters would be hauled as the epitome of responsibility.

It's pretty laughable that the "recovery" in the last months of 2014 and subsequent fall is being attributed respectively to "austerity working" and "Syriza being elected" when the exact same thing happened in Portugal in more of less the same months and we didn't elect Siriza. That recovery was nothing but circumstantial and if it's true the countries currently being "austered" did show some recovery in a couple of quarters it's also true that their growth was lower than in the rest of the EU in the same periods so how the gently caress does that "recovery" get credited to austerity?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Holy crap those tweets that Syrza are back at the negotiating table are true.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33325886

quote:

Greece debt crisis: 'Last-minute talks after new offer'

Last-minute talks are taking place in Athens over whether to accept an offer by creditors allowing Greece to repay part of its debt, Greek media say.

Greece is hours away from a deadline to repay a €1.6bn (£1.1bn) loan to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) - one it may miss.

One of Greece's creditors made a last-minute proposal of reforms on Monday, reports say.

If Athens accepts the deal, it will free up cash to repay the €1.6bn.

Greek media say the government is in talks over the offer, made by European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker late on Monday.

One of the main points in the new offer is a change in terms to Ekas - a top-up given to poorer Greek pensioners. Athens does not want it scrapped before 2020, but Europe wants it phased out earlier.

The Ekathimerini newspaper initially said Greece's government "listened with interest to what was being proposed" but rejected the offer.

But Greece's national broadcaster ERT said on Tuesday morning that discussions about the proposals were taking place "at the highest level" in Athens.

If a deal is not agreed, Greece will almost certainly not be able to repay the IMF, and would be in arrears.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope Germany will be willing to destroy the military junta that comes to power after the bolsheviks are chased from Athens. Turkey must be checked, lest their Syria adventures embolden them to strike a weakened Attica.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Zeitgueist posted:

No, my response was pretty clear. You can ascribe the contractions to austerity as well as any expansions, and you're not showing it relative to growth prior to the crash. It's essentially the Estonian Miracle, where if you squint hard enough maybe you can make a lukewarm argument in support of austerity.

My views on the austerity that Estonians had to endure after the credit crisis of 2008 have somewhat changed in the past few years. Yes, we got out of a horrible situation without going bankrupt or damaging our reputation, but the cost has been significant. We are a very small country and so many working age people have left already that any small growth we had has screeched to a halt. I can't see it picking up either, because most of out major export markets are in a slump as well, we don't really have anything unique that we produce... At this rate we will never catch up to the richer countries of the EU, and why should we? We haven't really done anything to deserve it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OhYeah posted:

My views on the austerity that Estonians had to endure after the credit crisis of 2008 have somewhat changed in the past few years. Yes, we got out of a horrible situation without going bankrupt or damaging our reputation, but the cost has been significant. We are a very small country and so many working age people have left already that any small growth we had has screeched to a halt. I can't see it picking up either, because most of out major export markets are in a slump as well, we don't really have anything unique that we produce... At this rate we will never catch up to the richer countries of the EU, and why should we? We haven't really done anything to deserve it.

I wouldn't worry too much, the EU will probably end up sacrificing you to appease Putin's massive ego and inferiority complex anyway.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, the EU will probably end up sacrificing you to appease Putin's massive ego and inferiority complex anyway.

Or the US will bail them out, to oppose Putin. A new Marshall Plan, with complimentary US bases and missiles. Either way, Estonia becomes a junior partner, I fear.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

OhYeah posted:

Just welcome your old new germanic overlords again

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

demonicon posted:

One of the reasons there were specific reforms demanded by the creditors was that Noone had any trust anymore for the Greek government. Which isn't entirely unreasonable considering what happened.

It's not like the Greek government suddenly started being corrupt circa 2007. It's the creditors own drat fault for engaging in risky lending practices for a government everyone knew was cooking the books. The only reason the Greek crisis even exists is because PASOK went public with it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Question: other countries in the EU are in it fine without being on the Euro and retaining control of their own currency (i.e. Scandinavia, Poland).

Why didn't Greece just do that in the first place? Or I mean, why would it be so bad go go back to that now?

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Question: other countries in the EU are in it fine without being on the Euro and retaining control of their own currency (i.e. Scandinavia, Poland).

Why didn't Greece just do that in the first place? Or I mean, why would it be so bad go go back to that now?

Well they joined the euro because there's some benefits in terms of promoting trade and making nice with Germany and France, and nobody realized quite how much they were screwing themselves.

Now that they're in the euro it would be massively costly for them to leave. All their debts (public AND private) are denominated in euros, their contracts are written in euros, people's bank accounts are in euros. You can't just replace all those euro-denominated liabilities with an equivalent amount of drachma because nobody knows what the drachma will be worth, and besides, what good is drachma to someone living outside of Greece? And what if people try to take all their euros out of the country before the switchover happens, do you just let those assets leave? Leaving the euro would mean defaulting on its debts, shutting down all the ATMs (again), stopping people at the border to check their bags for cash, and generally be really messy.

Job Truniht posted:

It's not like the Greek government suddenly started being corrupt circa 2007. It's the creditors own drat fault for engaging in risky lending practices for a government everyone knew was cooking the books. The only reason the Greek crisis even exists is because PASOK went public with it.

This going back and forth over whose fault it is misses the point, which is that Greece and Germany shouldn't be sharing a currency in the first place. Germany's a big exporter, Greece and the other PIGS are big importers. Sharing a currency meant that Germany's currency was relatively undervalued and Greece's was relatively overvalued. German exporters were making money hand-over-fist, while Greek consumers were paying too much for their imports and Greek workers were losing competitiveness. German banks were lending money to Greece because the alternative was keeping it in the country- where it would've caused inflation and started to rebalance things.

Guy DeBorgore fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 30, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Using the Euro probably seemed like it would be handy for an economy where tourism is so big. Not that tourist businesses couldn't have just accepted Euros without being on the Euro.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What gets me is that if you stop moralizing, all you are left with is the fact that the scheme to get Greece to pay up imploded the Greek economy and made that very thing impossible. Which makes continuing on that course super dumb even if you literally just want the Greeks to pay up even if it kills a million babies.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
It's succeeded at one thing: bailing out the German and French banks who lent Greece the money in the first place. Their debt load is still huge, but now it's mostly owed to the Troika rather than the banks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Joining the Euro let them borrow at rates calcuated based on the fact inflating away the problem was impossible. It's the same problem all the weak economies in Europe had; join the Euro and get access to incredible amounts of basically free credit. Then the banks realized they can capitalize on this and expand like crazy to the point they become too big to fail and subsuquently can rely on a bailout, as we saw in 2007-8.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah but the german and French banks were bailed out with german and French money

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

demonicon posted:

Yeah but the german and French banks were bailed out with german and French money

Right, and thus the inherent moral hazard: the banks or, in particular the leadership of the banks realized that by selling shitloads of credit to the weak economies of Europe and subsuquently expanding, they personally gained in the form of various bonuses, salaries etc while the governments of Europe took the risk. Of course it eventually came crashing down, by that point who cares? They personally got paid, their banks don't die so their shareholders don't get completely hosed and the governments of Europe pay for it.

edit: and the other sort of facinating thing is that as soon as one bank starts doing the lending equivalant of crystal meth suddenly the ethical banks can't compete. If you weren't lending to the PIGS like morons in the bubble, why on earth would people choose to bank with or otherwise invest in you? All the crazy banks are expanding and paying out like crazy, what kind of idiot would put their money in the banks left behind?

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 30, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

demonicon posted:

Except in the eyes of the german people they aren't bailing out their banks, they're bailing out Greece. And now the german government is acting as the debt collector for the german and french banks and nothing was learned except "greeks are lazy".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A state that doesn't punish tax offenders is problematic. Like just imprison evaders equal to murderers and that poo poo would have been enough to set people into line.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Zeroisanumber posted:

Let's be realistic here. The president of the most powerful empire that ever existed in the history of Earth flew to Estonia, right next to the Russian border, and told everyone as long as you are protected by us, you will never lose your freedom. In those exact words.

Ain't nobody in Europe that is going to sacrifice us to Russia because their opinion is so irrelevant in this matter that it's hard even to describe.

Now, if you meant sacrifice us in *economic* terms... welp.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

OhYeah posted:

Let's be realistic here. The president of the most powerful empire that ever existed in the history of Earth flew to Estonia, right next to the Russian border, and told everyone as long as you are protected by us, you will never lose your freedom. In those exact words.

Ain't nobody in Europe that is going to sacrifice us to Russia because their opinion is so irrelevant in this matter that it's hard even to describe.

Now, if you meant sacrifice us in *economic* terms... welp.

lol we're not starting WW3 over Estonia

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Nonsense posted:

A state that doesn't punish tax offenders is problematic. Like just imprison evaders equal to murderers and that poo poo would have been enough to set people into line.

I agree. Its time to nationalize any company that evades tax by using loopholes.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

demonicon posted:

Exactly and how many taxpayers in Germany and France noticed this? Instead they (esp. Bild reading Germans) think they were donating money so Greeks could retire on 45

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

go3 posted:

And the Russians would?

Russia can get away with Ukraine because Ukraine matters more to them than it does to EU or US. With the Baltic states it's exactly the same way around.

You should know that there are US troops and armour in all the Baltic states and more to come this year. What do you think would happen here if a single US soldier died in the hands of a Russian insurgent? Russians are way more scared of the West than vice versa if history is to go by. Ever heard of Able Archer?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Greece was ruled by a military dictatorship within living memory. Joining the EU - and the Euro - was seen as the route to prosperity and finally becoming a stable, democratic, serious nation.

As for why they can't go back now - this is a pretty good overview:

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/27/8856297/greece-referendum-euro

quote:

Greece has been drawing dead this whole time, and the future outlook appears bleak for one simple reason — nobody else in Europe who holds power has any interest in making things anything other than painful for Greece.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Someone mentioned how Iceland pretty much gave the middle finger to creditors without many problems so lets use that example. When you go this route you actually need to be able to back your currency with an actual economy. Iceland is self sufficient in many important categories, including most food production, but what's even more important is they have an enormous amount of cheap energy which is the lifeline of their economy. They can default and then still borrow money because creditors still believe they will be able to be payed back.

Greece is a completely different story. Their economy is in shambles, their industries heavily depend on tourism and importing unfinished goods, and need to import basically all their energy and most their food. Their only real food production is cash crops, good luck surviving on pistachios and olive oil. They have social programs in line with some of the richest countries in their world while their major industries pay almost no tax. Switching to their own currency would be an utter disaster. No one would loan to them for any reasonable rate and the whole economy would probably crash nearly instantly.

When people talk about Greece I think they forget about the major differences in structure between Greece and other countries they are trying to compare it to. Austerity is being chosen because the alternative is to just dump buckets of money into the black hole that is the Greece economy. It's called "chasing bad money" and everyone's done with that game.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

I agree. Its time to nationalize any company that evades tax by using loopholes.

I think the Greeks should innovate in this realm, as they innovated human governance. They may as well, the poor and working-poor will hurt the most.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

go3 posted:

We invaded Iraq on a whim. An invasion of Estonia would present a much more concrete reason to go to war.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm just imagining Leonidas playing Monopoly and he lands on Boardwalk with hotels. He's got a couple of white and pink slips of paper tucked under the board which he begins to count slowly. Eight whole dollars.

"This is Sparta," he mumbles quietly as he flips over the property card to get its hock value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

We invaded Iraq on a whim. An invasion of Estonia would present a much more concrete reason to go to war.

Plus in many a year the Americans would have an actual bad guy as an enemy and they would have all the legal and moral justification for a military campaign. If you add the fact that Putin can solidify his domestic position just fine without risking a war with NATO then seeing Russian troops in the Baltics becomes a very slim chance indeed. Almost nothing to gain, and almost everything to lose.

But try to explain this to the "international relations and geopolitical strategy experts" on this board, I dare you.

• Locked thread