Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As we were noting earlier, in conversation with Xenomrph: the alien is not a static thing. The being that pops out of Kane is made out of Kane. It is a reflection of not only his physiology (skull, hands, etc.) but also his psychology.

So, what would an alien look like if it mixed genes with a different alien? Obviously it wouldn’t be just another humanoid thing. A xenomorphized tree would be shaped as a tree, etc.
Which takes us back to the Eric Red draft of Alien 3, where not only any animal can be xeno'd (we get pig aliens, chicken aliens, etc), but eventually the setting of the film itself - the space station - is used as base material for the aliens to reproduce. (It's actually the only time in the intended-for-screen part of the franchise where the mechanical part of biomechanical comes to the fore that I've seen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Payndz posted:

Which takes us back to the Eric Red draft of Alien 3, where not only any animal can be xeno'd (we get pig aliens, chicken aliens, etc), but eventually the setting of the film itself - the space station - is used as base material for the aliens to reproduce. (It's actually the only time in the intended-for-screen part of the franchise where the mechanical part of biomechanical comes to the fore that I've seen.)

The actually-existing Alien 3 explains Xenomrph’s confusion, since its creature bears no resemblance whatsoever to a dog and still has a basically humanoid form. That’s because, narratively, that particular creature is ‘just’ a hallucination caused by Ripley’s interrupted stasis.

The creature is not an evil dog, but is instead born of the question “what kind of animal would do this to a dog?” - i.e. a man. It stands for collective evil of the prison population.

If we were to actually explore what a xenomorphized dog (or cow, chicken, etc.) would look like, we would have to ask: what is like to be a dog? What would a dog’s “alien form” look like, when dogs are already somewhat alien to us?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Payndz posted:

This is an interesting point, “biomechanical” was always more of a byproduct of Giger’s art style, but has really never been used in the series for reasons other than camouflage (it happens notably in the first and third movies and in Alien Isolation, and intermittently in the comics).

Also there is no confusion here. :)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I guess I should have said it's about the only movie I can think of where a kid gets killed onscreen. Off-hand, I can't think of any others (aside from Beware Children At Play), but that always struck me as surprising.

And y'know what, AvP Requiem sucks rear end. It's just a lovely movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You've seen all these silly space alien movies but you haven't seen Maximum Overdrive?!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You can cut AV|P:R down to a decent 20min predator short.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m amazed we still haven’t gotten a decent cut of the movie with the lighting/brightness/gamma/whatever fixed.

What I’m saying is AvPR 4K cut when

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Was everyone else aware that LV-426 (Acheron) and LV-223 (planet from Prometheus) where in orbit of the same gas giant?

I just found out because I read the AVP/ Prometheus cross over comics from 5 years ago or so, "Fire and Stone" and "Life and Death"

I really enjoyed them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ScottyJSno posted:

Was everyone else aware that LV-426 (Acheron) and LV-223 (planet from Prometheus) where in orbit of the same gas giant?

I just found out because I read the AVP/ Prometheus cross over comics from 5 years ago or so, "Fire and Stone" and "Life and Death"

I really enjoyed them.
Yep, one of the special features/easter eggs from the Prometheus blu-ray puts them orbiting the same gas giant, and even hints that the Weyland corp detected the signal from the Derelict and mistakenly thinks it's coming from LV-223.

F&S and L&D are pretty neat, as well.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Happy alien day :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ll be watching ‘Alien’ in 4K for the first time this evening, I’m looking forward to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched the whole series last week leading up to Alien Day so tonight I'll be finishing up with Covenant.

Sounds like next year I'll be able to do the whole thing in 4k!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Who wants the Big Chap?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

el oso posted:

Who wants the Big Chap?

You know guys, my birthday is right around the corner (May 11th).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

el oso posted:

Who wants the Big Chap?

Considering the age it's in pretty good shape, but good lord it looks like poo poo. Would be awesome to see in person.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
If anything I'd like Alien to go more into the bio-mechanical aspect, alternatively give us Dark Seed on the big screen so I can witness the thrilling saga of Mike Dawson.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Xenomrph posted:

i don’t think David created the Alien, I don’t think anyone did, but Ridley Scott does and he thinks David did it and he expressed that in Covenant and then reinforced his belief in interviews.

Like you, I think the idea is nonsense (although perhaps for slightly different reasons). I never said I thought David made the Alien.

Dude, you've read interviews with Scott. You know he's changed his mind at least five times since he said that (more if he's actually working on a related film), at least once before the interview was over.

Which means, like, you have a whole reaction to a film based on how he phrased things in this particular interview and then he just... does something else instead. That fucker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
hosed up how David did all this poo poo and then changed his face so he could impersonate a Blade Runner.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hodgepodge posted:

Dude, you've read interviews with Scott. You know he's changed his mind at least five times since he said that (more if he's actually working on a related film), at least once before the interview was over.

Which means, like, you have a whole reaction to a film based on how he phrased things in this particular interview and then he just... does something else instead. That fucker.

There’s a well-worn adage in the Alien fan community: “Ridley Scott says a lot of things.”

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a well-worn adage in the Alien fan community: “Ridley Scott says a lot of things.”

There's probably some trolling of the fanboy mentality going on as well. Maybe not as much as Lucas used to, but in Scott's shoes it'd be hard not to gently caress with your fans a little in hope of expanding their perspective through their reaction.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone turned their apartment into the Nostromo/Hadley's Hope and it's loaded with props: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_mwIpmeoSk

Cool as all gently caress.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just wanted to let you all know that I am included in the latest Alien RPG sourcebook as a character, wherein I am described as “brazen” and “incompetent”. :v:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Xenomrph posted:

Just wanted to let you all know that I am included in the latest Alien RPG sourcebook as a character, wherein I am described as “brazen” and “incompetent”. :v:

Are those core stats in the system, because honestly that would totally work

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t have a full stat line, just a mention in another character’s profile and the Colonial Marines personnel organization. :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nice I preordered the colonial marines book. Though I doubt I'll get to play any time soon

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If you preordered then you should get the PDF very soon.

It is off the wall with wacky obscure references to random poo poo from the entire franchise. The fuckin’ 90s Kenner toyline vehicles have artwork and statlines, it’s nuts.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Xenomrph posted:

time for you to meet a variety of horrible fates! :parrot:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched AvP last weekend because I had never seen it and hey at least it has the common decency to only be 100 minutes.

The quality level was about what I expected it to be - competent but completely mediocre. I was amused at how similar the expedition is to Prometheus. Way too many stupid slow-mo shots, the xeno lifecycle was shortened to the point of parody (seriously, just have another team that went a few days before that mysteriously vanished), and the alien armor & spear were ridiculous. The aliens looked OK; obviously CG at times but you could tell there were suits/models involved too.

The predators though… Why do they have those absurdly long arm knives? Why do the Ultimate Bad rear end Hunters get taken down like chumps? When he takes the mask off at the end…
:pwn::laffo:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Thats cool as hell dude. :hfive:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

The fuckin’ 90s Kenner toyline vehicles have artwork and statlines, it’s nuts.

Mantis alien. Snake alien. Flying queen. When?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

david_a posted:

I watched AvP last weekend because I had never seen it and hey at least it has the common decency to only be 100 minutes.

The quality level was about what I expected it to be - competent but completely mediocre. I was amused at how similar the expedition is to Prometheus. Way too many stupid slow-mo shots, the xeno lifecycle was shortened to the point of parody (seriously, just have another team that went a few days before that mysteriously vanished), and the alien armor & spear were ridiculous. The aliens looked OK; obviously CG at times but you could tell there were suits/models involved too.

The predators though… Why do they have those absurdly long arm knives? Why do the Ultimate Bad rear end Hunters get taken down like chumps? When he takes the mask off at the end…

Wait the predators have had arm knives since the first movie right?

Edit: Yeah, a long time since i watched it but figured they had to since with the shoulder cannon and mask they are the defining predator weapons. I played the poo poo out of AvP2 multi as a teen! The spear and disc was in the game as well, pretty sure all weapons in tje avp movie where actually.

There also where this cool spike sniper gun you could fire while cloaked and if you got a headshot you nailed the head to the wall and the predator did that deep laugh it did in the movie when starting the timer.

Still best game mode where infection. Everyone is a Marine in a free for all, first to die turns into an alien and all marines got put into one team. Then the alien had to try and kill marines, if you died as a marine you got turned into another alien.

Rounds always ended in some last stand where the aliens did wave attacks to try and overwhelm the dwindling marines, it owned!

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 13, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I was amused at how similar the expedition is to Prometheus.
They’re both basically retellings of Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness

david_a posted:

Way too many stupid slow-mo shots, the xeno lifecycle was shortened to the point of parody (seriously, just have another team that went a few days before that mysteriously vanished)
FWIW the life cycle was even shorter in Alien Covenant. :shrug:

david_a posted:

The aliens looked OK; obviously CG at times but you could tell there were suits/models involved too.
Fun fact: the Alien suits and puppets are literally reused props and costumes from ‘Alien Resurrection’, repainted black and with different legs.

david_a posted:

The predators though… Why do they have those absurdly long arm knives? Why do the Ultimate Bad rear end Hunters get taken down like chumps?
The short answer on the arm blades (and the oversized shoulder cannon) is the director wanted the Rule of Cool and thought bigger guns and knives would be mega badass and cool.

The Predators get punked for two reasons:
1. They’re literal Predator teenagers on their first hunt
2. The humans hosed up the order of events - the Predators are supposed to trigger the pressure plate near the entrance which wakes up the Queen, she lays eggs, the Predators get their shoulder guns and doing that sets the maze in motion and lets the pre-selected sacrificial hosts get impregnated and births a certain number of Aliens, which the rookie Predators blast and then call it a day.
Instead the humans triggered the pressure plate and took the guns just as the Predators were even entering the temple, so the maze was going and more Aliens were being born before the Predators had geared up, giving the Aliens a chance to ambush the under-equipped Predators.

There’s an intentional logic to it, it just gets handled a lot better in the comic series the movie cribs heavily from. Peter Briggs did a script draft in 1991 that’s much closer to the original comic, you can read about it here.

Dienes posted:

Mantis alien. Snake alien. Flying queen. When?
The old toys came with mini-comics, the planets from those comics get referenced in the RPG and the jumbo scorpions that the Scorpion Aliens are born from get full stat lines as a hostile nonsentient extraterrestrial species players can encounter.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Noir89 posted:

Still best game mode where infection. Everyone is a Marine in a free for all, first to die turns into an alien and all marines got put into one team. Then the alien had to try and kill marines, if you died as a marine you got turned into another alien.

Rounds always ended in some last stand where the aliens did wave attacks to try and overwhelm the dwindling marines, it owned!

It did own! Spent so much time hudled with a group of marines downstairs on Quarantine shooting waves of aliens trying to jump in.
Good times

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That AvP game was so good. I loved all the vision modes and some of the levels having switches/whatever to gently caress with the lighting too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xenomrph posted:

Congrats!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Marvel breaking new ground with its new Alien comics... :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1399118432218587140?s=19

But seriously anybody know if they are any good?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I haven’t read them myself because I prefer reading trade paperbacks but the consensus from the community is “not very good”.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ScottyJSno posted:

Weyland-Yutani?

I dunno. I've heard bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ScottyJSno posted:

"The latest issue of Marvel's Alien reveals that one of the writers saw an Alien movie."