Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The assembly cut of Alien 3 is my favorite Alien movie. The first two are superior in lots of ways, but I love 3 as a conclusion to it all. Great performances, well directed and the best score out of all the films, and it's a goddamn miracle it ever made it to the screens. The production was a massive clusterfuck and it still came out as an actual movie.

The assembly cut uses really rough production audio for some bits of dialogue in the DVD release but I think they actually got the actors to come re-record the dialogue for the blu-ray which is pretty awesome.

Illinois Smith posted:

I haven't seen Jeunet's fourth movie since I watched it in theaters, what's the consensus? Just noticed there's a longer cut of that one too.
The longer cut adds nothing of significance apart from a different intro with awful CGI in it and a slightly extended ending that doesn't matter. The whole movie is a confused mess written by a crappy writer who wanted to make a gritty alien movie and talented director who wanted to make a dark comedy. It has some great gross-out practical effects which are creative and the excuse for bringing Ripley back was kind of clever but they never really go anywhere with the whole Alien DNA plot apart from "she's super strong now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, they were monks instead of convicts originally and Ripley was shunned and hated for basically bringing the devil with her to their world. The alien would live near the core of the planet and occasionally come up to feed. It's a cool concept but a wooden planet does seem pretty silly and I'm glad they went with an actual planet instead. Otherwise a few things still remain from the original script; the convicts being super religious and their hostility towards Ripley, Ripley being intimate with one of the convicts and the alien living basically below them and the place not having any weapons. I think in the original script they kill the alien by luring it out to wheat fields and setting the field on fire or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On the other hand it says a lot about 20th Century Fox at the time when even Renny Harlin goes "yeah no, this is a total mess, bye!"

It's maybe not the best idea to set a release date for your movie when all you have to go on are a few producers shrugging their shoulders. And release a teaser trailer for it, too. So what if it's flat-out wrong about the movie?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Don't want to start an Alien 3 derail in this thread of all places, but it really needs to be stated how drat good the music in Alien 3 is. I like this live version a lot. Okay thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

centaurtainment posted:

How much of David Fincher's style do you all think is in Alien 3? He always shoots other people's scripts, but as far as cinematography goes how close is it to his subsequent work? If I remember correctly, Fincher did the best with what limited control he had, instilling the picture with his trademark color palate (muted to say the least) and moody use of score. I haven't watched Alien 3 in quite a few years so I might be projecting my knowledge of his career backwards onto it.
I think it's recognizable as a Fincher movie, some scenes more than others. I mean he did Seven three years later and it's very definitely a Fincher style movie. He has a special effects background so all the practical effects in Alien 3 are top-notch (the rod puppet is great too, just the compositioning kinda stinks) and even though he had two (really good) DPs during the shoot, the movie has a very Fincher look to it. Underlit, stark and contrasty shots, low angles.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Timby posted:

I actually watched the Assembly Cut yesterday because of this thread, and honestly the part of it that makes it a Fincher movie the most is that it has incredible sound design.
Yeah, I was also going to bring up the gore aspect in relation to Fincher's style and thought about the autopsy scene in particular. The sound design in that scene is pretty gruesome and makes the whole thing so much more horrifying.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That, and he does effects and gore really well. That's the only reason I bother with them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I enjoy his movies well enough, even Elysium, and I don't really have much against him making an Alien movie either. If it does retcon Alien 3 out then that's dumb as hell but oh well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If they have to keep Ripley, they may as well just start from where Resurrection left off and run with the alien DNA angle.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No eyes, that's the main thing. It was a conscious design choice by Giger so you could never be sure where the Alien was looking. It's also one of the major reasons why the actual creatures are so timeless and still effective in movies which are 30 years old. Any other movie from that era where a scary monster had eyes looks really off now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well the thing that still makes the Alien films so effective from both the creature perspective and the action perspective is the lack of information being used correctly. James Cameron said the point of horror films is to frighten, not disgust, so limited gore or more importantly, the suggestion of gore is way, way more effective than showing everything fully lit and in focus.

Where most horror films fail is the filmmaker's self indulgence in their work in that their vision is more important than the intent of the material; they tell you what to be scared of instead of allowing you to find it for yourself. An audiences' imagination is one of the most important and powerful tools a filmmaker (or an author or any creative person) has and so few works use it to their advantage. Alien does and it does it brilliantly. You get suggestions, you get a shape, something unrecognizable moving in the shadows and your imagination fills in the blanks. That is what makes the Alien so terrifying, you make it terrifying. That's the real brilliance of it. It's a great example of "less is more" filmmaking.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

While I wouldn't commit to the reverse either, what a narrow and untrue thing to say.
Would you not say though that the suggestion of gore can be considerably more effective than explicit, visible gore?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I agree with the rest of that analysis, I just found that particular line to be a sticking point. The point of horror is catharsis, to see the things that terrify or revolt you in a context that's safe (but not too safe!) so you can understand them. Subtlety and gross exaggeration are both valuable tools.

I don't demand that a horror film frighten me, because if I did I would enjoy very few of them (and the ones I enjoyed would often have more to do with my personal phobias than the craft of the filmmaker.) I just expect that they have something to say about fear.
I absolutely agree that catharsis is a pivotal part of it but the mastery comes from basically using your own fears against you effectively, to leave enough room in the material for interpretation so you can subconsciously insert your own worst fears in what you see and experience in the film and be affected that way. In a safe environment, precisely, like you said.

But I think what Cameron means has to do more with how a lot of horror movies tend to be gratuitous with the violence and gore (funnily enough, much like Aliens is), and while that can be effective in its own way, doesn't really evoke a sense of fear or terror as much as disgust which should be more of a payoff instead of the core of what you're experiencing. Maybe that doesn't come across as well in a short soundbyte like that, granted.

And with Alien it's used masterfully; there's fertile ground there for genuine terror, physical in the Alien's power of violently and effectively ripping you apart and mental/sexual in the phallic and vaginal imagery and the insertions and laying eggs and what have you.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I agree up to a point, to me it's not as much about being disgusted by the visual but horrified by the very notion of the Alien coldly and instinctually reducing Brett (or any human) into a stage of its development. What is so striking about that is that you can easily imagine some insect doing that to another insect in the sense of "it's just what it does", it's evolution, it's survival, there's no conscious malice behind it at all but to us it's a person, a whole life lived. And now it's just a platform for creating more of something else. That's terrifying.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

lizardman posted:

You really think Aliens is gratuitously violent? I'm not even sure if it's as gory as the first is.

(I'll acknowledge that if you just re-color Bishop's 'blood' to be red, his surprise maiming by the queen alien would be a top-contender for the most gruesome moment in the whole series, but hey)
I don't mean gratuitous in a negative sense when it comes to Aliens, it's an action movie after all. There's the first chestburster scene and indeed Bishop's treatment in the hands of the Alien Queen that are both very explicit and in-your-face gory, but also the aliens themselves, many of them are killed in a very gruesome and gory fashion which is very fitting and acceptable in an action film.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

AvP:R was mediocre but infinitely better than AvP.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Resurrection did something nearly cool with the whole cloning Ripley thing, what with the failed clones and the DNA mix but then went absolutely nowhere with it.

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not shocked that people here like it. But I cannot enjoy the Family Guy of the Alien/Predator franchise.
What?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

The Newborn is a pretty great effect. You can argue about the design, but functionally? It looks and moves very realistically.
The design of the newborn was pretty rubbish but it definitely moved in a really clunky way too. The facial articulation was fine and nine times out of ten Amalgamated Dynamics do some top-notch practical effects stuff but it looks like a toy when it smacks the queen's face off and the one wide shot of it walking looks really bad.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like to think Jeunet decided to make Resurrection into a comedy because the script was so loving awful and even that didn't save it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

AvP:R is awesome because it at least goes balls-out with the concept. It's shot way too dark though. AvP is just a lame turd where they turn the Predator into Harry from Harry and the Hendersons.

If there's one good thing that'll probably come out of the Blomkamp Alien movie is that it won't be a PG-13 watered down nonsense and it'll have fantastic gore in it. Say what you will about the guy and I'll agree but he does shocking gore really well. :nms:http://i.imgur.com/ZtFFjKC.gif:nms:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just watched the Alien3 Assembly Cut with commentary and it's pretty interesting and I definitely recommend it. A few of the crew (editors and such) are involved and Paul McGann (Golic) appropriately provide commentary. I really hope that one of these days Fincher comes to terms with it and talks more about it, I know how much he loves doing commentaries for his movies after all. I'd kill for a Fincher solo commentary for Alien 3 but the most recent thing I know where he discusses it is some Bafta event that goes through his whole career and he pretty much Alan Smithee's the thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They still re-recorded the funky hissing dialogue for the Blu-Ray which is way more than I ever expected them to do.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I always liked the idea they floated around for the fourth one where they go to the Alien planet, but that was only while Giger was still alive. They could've done a bunch of crazy cool poo poo by just dosing Giger with mescaline or something and leaving him in a room with a bunch of paper and pencils for a few days. Just make it a total off the rails surreal nightmare.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember the Atari Jaguar AvP game being terrifying because it ran like poo poo and had fairly effective sound design. It's a bad game but many a pants were nearly shat crawling around in vents and turning a corner and HOLY poo poo an Alien is right in your face at 15 frames per second.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Isn't there also a line referring to Ripley having a nightmare in hypersleep? I think she mentions it as an excuse for Newt's autopsy, but going by Clemens' reaction something like that isn't impossible in the Alien universe. So maybe being conscious on some level while in hypersleep is a thing and all Ripley has been dreaming about since Nostromo is aliens.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The funny thing is that Horner himself imitated it the most throughout his career.

But re: score talk, the "complete" Alien 3 score is so great. I know Goldenthal got an Oscar for Frida but as far as I'm concerned, A3 is up there as his best.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This is totally true. I liked all the weird tricks he used to create a bunch of its sounds like using a gumball on a sustained gong and stuff. IIRC the flanged horn thing that's in many a 90s film (and Goldenthal's own Batman Forever/and Robin scores) began here.

I'm always torn on how much a composer "should" repeat themselves or not. Like on the one hand of course I want to hear new stuff from people, but then there's definitely situations where it's obvious the producers/director were like "I like the music in _____ do that." Not expecting everyone to be like Poludouris and crank out stuff as different as RoboCop and No Man's and at the same time or Flesh+Blood and Conan the Destroyer.

I remember Horner got a lot of flak for his score for Troy, but didn't he bring it from nothing to complete in like two weeks or something crazy like that? I remember he was a last minute replacement to Gabriel Yared's already completed soundtrack for it.
The thing is though that a good composer can have a recognizable style that carries across the music they create without repeating themselves. There are tons of examples by John Williams where you can tell it's his music (Goldsmith and Goldenthal also) but it's still something he's never done before. The Aliens score bugs me every time I watch that movie now because there are parts in it that he flat-out recycled for other movies. The whole four-note motif being the most infamous one, though I don't think that one is in Aliens. Dude had talent but some of it was just blatant.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wild T posted:

I give them credit for a good idea. Let's slap Larry's yellow lab in full Alien makeup and have him run around, moving in a way that human joints do not work and adding a layer of unfamiliarity and weirdness. The problem is that the body language of a dog is so inherently familiar to a majority of human beings on this word so it just looked kinda :3:
It's not really a bad idea as such, if they'd gotten a different kind of dog and not literally the most timid, terrified and shaky little whippet in the world it might've been an okay shot if lit properly and stuff. I imagine they were after the type of full-on greyhound sprint dogs do and not the twitchy skittering the dog did in the shot.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Alien 3 had just the coolest looking Alien design and the suit looked fantastic, even if it didn't match the rod puppet like, at all. Smooth dome all the way, gently caress Aliens and its ridged dome alien designs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was looking at that thing on amazon and in the past they didn't ship things to my neck of the woods, so I went to look why that was by going to the checkout with it and...

It should arrive before April 11th :swoon:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nice, was gonna see that tomorrow after a long wait but cheers for the spoiler.

Also Hicks was a boring character and Newt was only there for Ripley's character development.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And much like the light emanating from the spotlights of the 20th Century Fox logo at the very beginning of the film, there's the EEV that gets violently ejaculated out of the Sulaco that's on fire/feverish birthing pains. This motif is obviously repeated then with the birth of the alien and dropping both Hicks and Newt's bodies out "into the light" aka "out of the birthing canal into the world". Then there's the undeniable fact that Andrews, who in his bald, chubby state resembles a baby (he even childishly plays with a red ball) (which is -- and this is so obvious it just gave me a tumor -- his father's testicle), gets "aborted" by the alien which violently yanks him into the dark hole above. Bishop's ruined state so super duper clearly is meant to represent a failed sex doll as they can't give birth and that white stuff oozing out of his ear? Yup you got it, it's PUDDING. MAN PUDDING. The alien exploding at the end? Hello? Hiroshima anyone? God you guys are so dense sometimes.

Alien 3 = Kama Sutra/The Graduate/Hoffmeyer's Legacy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Time and again, I am proven to be immune to parody.

Oh lighten up, fella. It's just a movie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The NECA Alien 3 figure arrived today. It's genuinely pretty awesome and looks cool all posed up with the stand. One of my better drunken impulse buys.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I honestly never saw the point of things like that. All they do for me is devalue the impact of the source material. The original Alien was loving scary because it looked so bizarre and had a disturbingly violent sexual vibe to it. If you choose to buy into it, a third party "expanding" or illuminating the universe instantly narrows the universe where the films take place by implicating the audience's view of that same universe is invalid somehow. The same stuff coming from the original creator narrows it down even more. One of the best tools a creative person has is the imagination of the audience, and a skilled storyteller uses it to their advantage by subtly nudging the audience to fill the blanks. In the best horror films, including Alien, the monster is most often in the shadows and you can't really make it out, but what makes it terrifying to you personally is your imagination filling in the blanks. That's effective.

But now we know just about every loving thing about the Aliens which eliminates so much of the original thrill and fear we felt about them. They're not our personal monsters anymore.

You could also argue that the sequels do that as well, and you'd be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just found this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5PxqOZ-dzc, someone added/modified some Alien 3 effects and put up comparisons with the original. It's maybe a little bit goofy but I like the idea of seeing the Alien as a "dragon" of sorts from Golic's perspective.