Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Immortan posted:

Alien 3's "xenomorph" in addition to being a quadruped creature, is notable for casually taking it's time on victims rather than giving a quick fatal strike. It made for some intense scenes (and screams!) in the claustrophobic catacombs of the prison when it attacked or had some poor bastard dangling from an air shaft while gauging his brains out.
To me it felt like it didn't really bother killing its victims before it started eating them so it struggled a bit with the flailing limbs.

This is the only movie where it feels like the Alien is an actual biological creature that needs to eat. The first one was an unstoppable eldritch Space Elder God that seemed beyond the concepts of food. In Aliens they were more like bio-mech drones that turned humans into building materials and then went into low-power hibernation.

In Alien3 going one-on-one with the beast was ultimately suicidal but not instant death. Dillon manages to last a few minutes with it. Doesn't Ripley even try dragging it by the tail at one point? I know, I know, it won't kill her, but can you imagine the beast from the first movie putting up with that indignity? Instant Fade to Black; that character has now been Disappeared.

Alien 3 might be my favorite but a large part of that is how flawed it is and the fascinating production history. I haven't really followed the graphic novel version of Vincent Ward's insane wooden planet script but I'll be sure to read it when (if?) it ever completes (it seems to get a new section every millennia or so). I had heard of the "wooden planet" idea before I watched the extras on the DVD but I had assumed that meant a forested planet, not a planet literally made of wood.

Also I feel compelled to bring up my favorite factoid about Alien 3 which is that the chemical process used to composite the rod-puppet into the live action shots was so drat bad a lot people think it was lovely CG. Since it came out in 1992 that would have been way beyond the tech of the time, but the way the compositing gave the Alien that awful green tint is very similar to how early lovely CG effects don't blend into the rest of the scene. I've been told it could have been corrected in modern times if they re-composited it digitally but there's no way they would see an acceptable return on that investment :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Its amazing how unorganized the production was - they actually started building sets for the wooden planet just to try to get some momentum to actually complete the drat thing. If you lock carefully in the final movie you'll see some oddly gothic architecture and stained-glass windows that seem a bit incongruous for a shithole industrial/prison planet...

What's also amazing is every other idea they had for the movie was actually far worse than the final product. I think William Gibson's script is the one mentioned earlier with Space Russians. The aliens become an airborne infection in that one. And they can infect androids. Because reasons. At one point hack master Renny loving Harlin was attached to direct. I love how insanely smug he seemed in the DVD features. "Yeah I got tired of waiting for them to get organized and took my talents elsewhere." *proceeds to make one of the biggest bombs in movie history a few years later and bankrupts Carolco*

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Harlin managed to direct some half-decent movies but given his overall track record those are the aberrations.

Stare-Out posted:

On the other hand it says a lot about 20th Century Fox at the time when even Renny Harlin goes "yeah no, this is a total mess, bye!"
LOL good point

quote:

It's maybe not the best idea to set a release date for your movie when all you have to go on are a few producers shrugging their shoulders. And release a teaser trailer for it, too. So what if it's flat-out wrong about the movie?
I feel like they are rushing into NeoAlien3 with the same reckless greed that nearly doomed the first one. "Hey Blomkamp released some fanwank that the neckbeards on social media are going crazy over. Let's ramp this franchise back up! Call Sigourney! Get somebody working on the 10-year plan! We need sequels and crossovers, people. Call up Renny and see if he wants to do a movie about Arcturians."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

I actually watched the Assembly Cut yesterday because of this thread, and honestly the part of it that makes it a Fincher movie the most is that it has incredible sound design.

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, I was also going to bring up the gore aspect in relation to Fincher's style and thought about the autopsy scene in particular. The sound design in that scene is pretty gruesome and makes the whole thing so much more horrifying.
I'm pretty sure Fincher had walked away by the time they were doing sound design. Elliot Goldenthal (and I agree that his score is amazing) mentions how he wasn't happy with the final mixing at all because the sound effects and music were fighting for dominance. I don't remember the term for it, but you can use music as the sound effects is some cases (Mickey Mousing? that's what they called it in the '33 King Kong features anyway) and Alien 3 is sort of all over the place with having the effects, score, or both try to dominate any given scene. There wasn't a director around enforcing a consistent vision (heh) so everyone kind of did their own thing. For example, the sound effects team had a ball with the intro escape pod scene and cranked the poo poo out of the bass on that one.

Whoever came up with this should have gotten a bonus, though.

RE: Prometheus
I like that film but it's probably best to consider it as a separate thing. Ridley Scott doesn't give a drat about how it fits in with the rest of the franchise and you shouldn't either. When I think of the Alien universe of the first three films my jockeys are still Space Elephants :colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

exquisite tea posted:

The Prometheus was a cutting edge research vessel, the Nostromo was a basically a freight train in space. That's a really odd thing to fixate on.
For all we know the Nostromo is actually older than the Prometheus.

Going with retro 70s CRTs would have totally clashed with the sleek 60s golden age sci-fi aesthetic they were going for, anyway.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sticklefifer posted:

I'm actually not sure if I've seen the Assembly Cut. I've seen two cuts of Alien 3; the theatrical version and some sort of director's cut that changed some things. The one detail in the latter that I remember was that the android Weyland at the end turned out to be human instead. Was that in more than just the Assembly cut?

I remember liking the cut I saw better than the theatrical one, but liking the original ending sequence better - Weyland just being another Bishop and Ripley holding in the chestburster felt like a fitting moment to cap off the trilogy.
It certainly was not a Director's Cut since Fincher refuses to have anything to do with the movie. You saw the Assembly Cut.

davidspackage posted:

I know at least in this cut, "Bishop" at the end has a bleeding head and a hosed up ear from getting smacked in the head, does the theatrical cut make it more ambiguous what he is?
Apparently there was some extra footage of him writhing in pain and bleeding that wasn't in the theatrical. I don't remember it being different but I haven't seen the theatrical version in a long time.

I don't really like him being human either. Lance is credited as "Bishop II" so I feel like the intent was to make it a bit less clear. The part that really bothers me for some reason is that his story seems too convenient- the designer of the Bishop android is the exact same age, happens to also work for the Evil Bio-Tech division (despite constructing a robot with Asimov's Three Laws), and was instantly available to haul rear end out to Fury 161? The marines in the second movie seemed familiar with Bishop so he must have been with them for a while which makes their appearance being identical a bit odd. It feels unsatisfying, and since when has The Company been truthful about anything?

I prefer to think that his story is bogus and he's just another Carter Burke-type middle manager (who didn't look like Bishop) with a serious desire to climb the ranks. It does not seem out of the question that they could have performed Future Plastic Surgery(TM) while en route to make him a convincing facsimile of the android. That could explain why his ear hangs off on that weird angle after being clobbered. Crediting him as "Bishop II" is just saying that, human or robot, he was just another expendable tool in service of the almighty Company.

exquisite tea posted:

I just mostly wish they would dare to do an Alien movie without Ripley in it, but that is evidently not gonna happen.
The part that makes me cringe the most is how they're going to rope her character back into the story. They've established that you don't age from hypersleep so it's not like they could just have her wake up on the Sulaco, meaning they have to come up with some drat reason why she would ever be in contact with the aliens again. After her experiences in the first two movies I doubt she would have ever left Earth again.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Immortan posted:

Aliens is a well made film but it's just so drastically different from the first and third films. There's just something off-putting about turning the most deadly & terrifying creature that intelligently stalked and killed members of a spaceship into exploding redshirts getting steamrolled by machine gun fire en masse. Aliens saving grace was the queen. I still love Aliens I just prefer the first & third before it.
It's interesting that nearly every other medium associated with the franchise (books, comic books, video games, etc) is dominated by the second movie. It's basically not an Alien franchise, it's an Aliens franchise. The more direct action appeals to a younger audience, I guess. I wonder how popular the first movie would have been if there had never been a sequel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

They had the alien queen puppet on display at our science centre and I cried because I was so scared of it. Until my early teens I had a super strong fear of the "xenomorph" and couldn't even imagine watching the whole movie ever. I'd even have to overt my eyes from the Aliens arcade machines.

I now love the movies but can't imagine ever playing Isolation, I'd probably cry again.
Are my clone? They had the full-size queen / loader at a science museum when I was a kid but I could barely stomach looking at it, let alone getting close to it. What I wouldn't give to go back to that exhibit now... I think it was part of some "movie magic" thing and I also remember they had the animatronic shark from Jaws there - and he moved! :allears:

Somewhere along the line my fear of these things led to fascination. I think I actually read the novelizations of the first two movies before I watched them (less scary that way) :)

lizardman posted:

I wonder how many of us 80s/90s kids that were deathly afraid of the Alien are out there.
:wave:

quote:

That HR Giger really hit some kind of psychological nerve with his design. While obviously I was just a kid and kids are afraid of monsters, I've never in my life had such instant feelings of terror from just looking at something before. I was terrified of the xenomorph creature on an almost phobic level.
Yeah I'm not sure what it is about the design. The sexual aspects of the design were totally lost on me as a kid. I guess it just ticks a lot of boxes:
* it's black and shiny so you can't get a good grip of the details
* no eyes
* that inner mouth just feels Wrong on some visceral level
* those weird tube things sticking out of its back muddying its shape even further
* long skeleton-ish tail (every kid likes dinosaurs and knows what a skeleton tail looks like)

It's like the ultimate boogeyman really.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the major factors, certainly at first, is that it has no earth analogue. It's not a lizard, or insect or mammal or bird. It doesn't fit in any category of biology we know. Now, there's lots of sci-fi creatures in that category (Zerg, Tyranids etc) but not at the time.
Zergs are ripoffs of Tyranids which were heavily "inspired" by the Alien in the first place :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Good point about the eyes - the seems to be the hardest part to get right in a special effect. Compare the CG Arnold from Genisys to the real thing:

Those lifeless doll eyes really give it away.

Even with the dummy head from the 1984 original, it's the drat eyelashes that do the most harm to the illusion!

I know it's a small image, but try holding up a pencil or something to block the eyes and see if that doesn't make it look a million times better.

Also dragonfish should stay down below with all the other unholy abominations swimming around down there

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I like how the related (and equally nightmarish) megamouth shark was first discovered when it tried eating an anchor on a U.S. Navy ship in the 70s. The oceans are really criminally under-explored and there might still legitimately be enormous undiscovered species lurking around out there. Even giant fish like oarfish aren't seen very often.

I would be super excited about one of the Avatar sequels being set underwater if it wasn't, you know, an Avatar sequel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

My movie isn't bad look at all the money it made!
It doesn't look like he had anything to do with the released AvP movie. They had been working on that concept ever since people went crazy for the alien skull gag in Predator 2 so this was a way earlier draft. I read something that claimed to be an AvP draft a long time ago but I have no idea if it was real or not - I vaguely remember something about a colony outpost and a woman fighting side by side with a predator.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
SMG: I'm curious if you think the absurdly dark color grading of Av|P:R was part of some larger theme or just an incredibly bad stylistic choice.

EDIT: CORRECTED MOVIE TITLE

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 28, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ozmunkeh posted:

Uhmm, I think you mean Av|P:R. That 2 second lens flare in the opening titles changes the movie completely.
Ah, how could I have been so blind! I updated my post to correct this grievous mistake.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Darko posted:

1) The geologist and the biologist or whatever. Firstly, high on space weed. Secondly, not the cream of the crop because they were hired just to fill roles. Their appearance was purposely crafted to show they were in the "I don't give a gently caress" level of their filed.
Part of the deal with these two is that the biologist is noticeably interested in Wolf Man and wants to be his pal / something more pretty bad. People get offended by him messing with the snake monster, but he is a biologist confronted with a brand new alien species and he's trying very hard to Be Cool in front of someone he desperately wants to impress. If they hadn't been huffing around some haunted corridors alone for a few hours he probably would have been a bit more careful investigating.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A:R gave me a lasting, irrational dislike for Joss Whedon. Partly for writing the awful script to begin with, but also for complaining about all the rad stuff in his script they rewrote/threw away even though all his ideas were worse than what was in the movie. He wanted a ridiculous jeep chase scene through a crop field(!) inside the giant ship that read like some kind of horrible Jurassic Park crossover fanfic.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lurdiak posted:

I read somewhere that at one point the script was going to kill Bishop and Ripley off (probably not in the goddamn opening scene) and that the climax was going to be Newt defeating the alien on her own. That sounds like it would've been a lot more interesting and acceptable as a film.

But no I guess we gotta make everything about Ripley.
Well, that's the reality of film making. We might think it's a series about some nasty aliens but as a movie series it was reliant on Sigourney Weaver.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

Earth Hive and the two stories that connect to it also waver on how smart the aliens are, going for a middle ground of a regular one being at the level of a smart donesticated dog and a queen being significantly smarter than a human (but how this is tested and known is left vague). However in Earth Hive there are staright up humans that ally with the aliens by kidnapping and bringing people to their hives so the aliens don't mess with them.

But still this is also the set of stories where it turns out there's a gigantic QUEEN queen alien that is in constant telepathic comminication with all aliens that exist across multiple star systems at all times so...

In the Aliens commentary James Cameron also says that they cut the power not by causing damage to cables but by figuring out how to turn it off.
I was under the impression that all the comics assumed the Queens were telepathic to some degree. I think in the first comic series, that's one of the main causes of the cult - the captive Queen is causing weird dreams around the globe, leading people to be fascinated by it (meta-commentary?).

Also one of the earlier ideas for the ending of Alien was for it to kill Ripley and impersonate her voice in the radio distress signal... That would have, uh, changed the franchise somewhat. (I can't tell how serious that idea was, because I can't imagine it not coming off as completely laughable)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

Wans't some latin name thrown around or was that only in the comics?
There are two: internecivus raptus ("murderous thief") and linguafoeda acheronsis ("foul tongue from Acheron").
Not very catchy.

You would think that in the third and fourth movies Weyland-Yutani/USM would have given them some name, at the very least something boring like Species 4582.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The multiple levels of canon on Wookiepedia or whatever is probably the dumbest thing ever. "This is slightly more made up than this other thing."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Conspiracy theory: Ridley added "Alien" to the title of Prometheus 2 specifically to torpedo Blomkamp's movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yes, Michael Biehn famously got more money for Alien 3 using a grainy, low-res monochrome headshot of him than he did for starring in Aliens.

I don't remember which of the story iterations that Hicks/Newt first die in. They are very much in the Gibson script. I guess it must have been the Vincent Ward wooden planet but I thought she was alone when she landed in that one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Yaws posted:

I wasn't paying much attention to the internet reaction when Prometheus came out but was it always such a lightning rod for simps like the person above?
Yes, absolutely. If anything it was worse when it was first released before people adjusted their expectations. I went into the theater expecting Alien 0 and left immensely disappointed. After reading through the thread here and seeing that the movie does actually explain nearly everything I slowly came around to it and I now own it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Am I the only one who wasn't bothered by Weyland's makeup? It seems to be a common complaint. He has obviously gone through every anti-aging technique known to future mankind so of course he looks unnatural.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

I was watching the movie very intently but I never noticed anything come out of anyone's eyes! I even remembered this exact quote before watching the movie because I hate anything eye related.
Were you watching an edited version? It definitely happened

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remember in the behind-the-scenes footage Fincher looked like he was screaming internally waiting for Jordan Cronenweth to finish setting up the lighting for that scene...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There was exactly one CG shot of the alien when its head cracks under the water. Remember it was released in 1992; a year after T2 and a year before Jurassic Park.

It is my favorite bit of trivia about Alien3, though: the rod-puppet optical compositing was so bad a lot of people assume it had to be early crappy CG. I think it's the way it has that horrible green tint that completely doesn't match the lighting of the rest of the shot. Very similar to how the lighting of early CG was incredibly off. If you look at something similar like the hellhounds from Ghostbusters they don't exactly look lifelike but at least the colors vaguely match.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm referring to the character 'Junior.'
The guy with the teardrop tattoo? He dies in the fire later on when the trap fails. In the Assembly Cut he intentionally sacrifices himself to lure the alien into the chamber but I'm pretty sure he's visible in both versions.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kurzon posted:

The subplot with Ash in Alien raises a question: if the Company knew that there was an alien on that planet, why send a tugboat to retrieve it? Why not send a team of specialists?
It's never clear what exactly WY knows. I figured they knew there was an unidentified signal but not much else. Sending a hidden android along with a cheap-rear end space truck is presumably a lot cheaper than gearing up a full-blown extraction team (which I'm sure is more visible to rival corporations as well).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
From what I remember reading about the making of Prometheus, AvP was only brought up once by Lindelof when he first started working on the script (I think in the context of "you know, AvP has a Weyland in it too"). Scott gave him a look and it was never mentioned again.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't know how familiar everyone is with the details of how Alien was created but it was a very messy process. What appeared on screen is not the vision of any one person; tons of people helped shape it. There are a lot of great blogs about this - Strange Shapes is an excellent one. It will answer some of these questions about where certain ideas came from.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, the plan was to bring Sigourney back for the fourth one in that continuity. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the Gibson scripts (he wrote two drafts).

One script that I never see mentioned (for good reason!) was Eric Red's abomination. It's sort of a proto-AvP:Requiem.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

lizardman posted:

Dan O'Bannon, on-screen, accuses the producers of changing all the character names in his Alien script simply in order to dick him out of royalties.
O'Bannon and Giler/Hill really, really did not get along. Changing the character names and re-writing the dialog to be a bit more casual was probably the biggest improvement Giler/Hill did to the script; Dan used names like Standard, Melkonis, and Broussard, and the dialog was very wooden hard-sci-fi stuff. But they did totally act like jackasses and tried screwing him over on several occasions. You can read more details here.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wow:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it was bending its butt to the side too!
Eschergigers!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Corvo posted:

I think Resurrection would have benefited tremendously from not having Weaver at all. She's a great actress but bringing her back from the dead was foolish considering how perfectly Alien 3 ended the trilogy. They could have kept the same general plot/cast and worked the story perfectly fine without Weaver, and continued the franchise with new teams encountering the xenomorphs in new situations. Why couldn't the military facility have just found some eggs somewhere else instead of cloning Ripley? The writers assuming that the only aliens in the universe were on LV-426 was a huge waste of potential.
Story wise, absolutely, but I'm not sure that movie would get made without Weaver. At the very least, it would probably have a fraction of the budget without her.

For people who aren't alien fanboys like most of us are in this thread, she was probably more important than what the monsters look like.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

I loved that Prometheus reused Giger's hive concepts for the alien buildings, I really hope they use more of his artwork for the sequel. There's a great doc on Netflix about Giger that gives a peek at the mountains of work he accumulated in his life. It's really good, and makes me want to visit his hometown and check out the Giger Museum. They shot it right before he died, so it's pretty much the period on the end of his life's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAs2FKH3DGc
I thought Dark Star was pretty drat depressing. Giger shuffles around like a zombie for most of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

Exactly. Giger suffered with some personal demons but it was cool seeing him find solace and comfort surrounded by his work and his small circle of friends/family. How could you be depressed watching Giger ride around on his little garden nightmare train?
That footage was from a few years earlier when he was noticeably more mobile and alert. I don't remember him looking very happy in the later stuff; he always seemed a bit out of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SirDrone posted:

What happens if a facehugger face hugs a fellow alien?
I wouldn't be surprised if this was in one of the terrible comics. Maybe it's the human equivalent of inbreeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PriorMarcus posted:

Ressurection does have the single best shot of the franchise in it though.
Which is? (I haven't seen it in years)