Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm rather fond of 3, for all its faults it had a certain charm though that's probably down to the prisoners. It's a complete 180 to the second film though which is what annoys a lot of people and is kinda understandable.

4 though is just straight up trash outside of the scene where 2 aliens gang up on the weakling one to escape the xeno prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

david_a posted:

Whoever came up with this should have gotten a bonus, though.

Yeah this was loving fantastic and set the mood for what was about to follow perfectly...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Elysium was not as good as District 9 but Chappie was incredibly excellent. Your mileage may vary based on how much you want to see Die Antwoord teach a robot to be gangsta I guess; anyway it succeeded on all crucial wierd rap robot fronts

There were parts of it that were genuinely superb, the whole notion of sentience and AI but then everything surrounding that was pretty terrible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you didn't crack up at MOMMY.DAT I don't know what to say man

Also every scene the mall ninja villain was in but then I guess some folks haven't had to deal with that guy IRL

Like I said, there were some bits that were enjoyable but it was overall a complete waste of a concept. Chappie himself = great. Everything else in that film = whatever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Hugh Jackman playing a mil-tech nerd was a highlight

His character arc was just odd though. He wanted the Dev dude gone so he took out a military robot and tried to shoot everyone to death? I know it's a film and interesting stuff needed to happen but I was sat there like "tell Sigourney he's stolen poo poo..."

There was just a whole load of stuff in that film that made no sense outside of 'because it's a film' which is weird because the main point of the film about AI and sentience was put across somewhat seriously and was interesting. It just seemed like the film couldn't decide what it wanted to be.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

porfiria posted:

Apparently the crashed ship they stumble across is the one Shaw and Michael Fassbender commandeer at the end of Prometheus. And I guess Fassbender has gone full Moreau and is growing monsters and killed off all the Engineers

I thought Ridley was wittering on about this being Alien 5 and not Prometheus 2 like was expected. So confusing.

I'm not overly enthralled by the trailer, it seems to be loaded with a bunch of stuff I've seen before in previous films. It feels like Alien with a bit of Aliens prequel and obviously a great big glob of Prometheus. I'm hoping they're keeping the exciting poo poo well under wraps.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Why do Alien nerds dislike Blommmkammmp's idea for a new film? I recall he hated Alien 3 killing Newt and Hicks, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

The Blomkamp project is probably dead, but he hasn't made a bad movie yet despite being given plenty of rope to hang himself on ambitious productions.

Y'all never see the utter shite that was Chappie then? I try to ignore that bollocks exists too, it started off so well, the premise of an AI learning as a human would at an accelerated rate is something you could to lots with. Alas the concept was squandered and we got Die Antwoord doing soundtrack and art direction as well as being poo poo actors to boot and then some weird Hugh Jackman going apeshit using an ED-209 to shoot people because reasons... When the best actor in your film isn't actually a human actor you hosed up.

That poo poo was loving terrible, definitely a bomb on his record. Elysium was decent but 'cmon man, claiming he hasn't made a bad movie just isn't true.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

Die Antwoord is the reason I haven't seen Chappie.

A wise choice, if you don't like them you'll loving HATE them after that film.

K. Waste posted:

Elysium and Chappie were good, you weenies. Better than District 9, even.

I know CineD deliberately trolls sometimes but this is too obvious, even for here.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Oh, that's the guy. That's the guy I hate. And I actually like Baby on Fire! But I think he's a singularly irritating presence on screen, with a level of undeserved bravado and severe lack of irony in his own preening. I don't like that guy!

In reality he's INCREDIBLY thin-skinned, a producer posted up a photo of him with Ninja on instagram and I commented on it saying "please don't work with this douche" and Ninja spent about 3 hours flipping out and tagging me in poo poo in a vain attempt to take the piss.

Dude is easily riled :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The worst bit about Ninja in Chappie is the lol at him struggling to hold up a prop gun and fire it with his noodle arms.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

K. Waste posted:

The adeptness of Ninja's performance is embodied in how persistently some viewers misidentify him as a 'real person.' "This isn't good acting, it's just Ninja-playing-Ninja." But this is inaccurate. Ninja is already a performance, and a very convincing one.

I was never convinced he wasn't playing a part. I feel a more convincing actor is RiFF RAFF and even posting that is loving hilarious...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I ended up exchanging it for Anarchy Reigns which is a significantly better game in every way.

Anarchy Reigns is great fun, I played a whole bunch of it online with friends and it was just a joy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've just noticed thermal vision Dutch... Cool as.

*edit: or warm as I guess? :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Did we find out whether there was actual beef with The Rock on the set of the last F&F movie?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Poster looks like the bit in Resurrection where Ripley falls through a flooring grate onto a writhing pile of xenos... I think at that point in the making of, Sigourney has gone full bore into "I wanted Ripley and the aliens to bang"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I pumped many 50p pieces into Alien 3: The Gun at my local arcade.

It was so satisfying to play simply because the guns were huge when I was a kid.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

UmOk posted:

That empire cover is so bad. Don't try to imitate the master.

It's the short fat arms which made me lol first. It's like a bad piece of fan art.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm kinda sad that the previous release of Alien Stompers brought to light this shoe design, it's been one of my favourites for years and I've had multiple pairs and never paid more than $50 for them. Amusingly I've got a pair that are ultra-limited edition, 54 pairs worldwide that I paid the max $50 for because nobody else wanted them from the store. Reebok hadn't released any new colours or run off any old colours for a while so my current red/grey pair will likely be the last I get at a bargain price which is a pity because they're loving fantastic flat pedal bike shoes.

I heard the above pairs are supposedly general release not limited so if they're not stupidly expensive (they will be) I may pick up a pair for old time's sake.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Rumor Control, here are the facts.

Alien 3 owns.

I appreciate this reply. RIP Brian Glover, you were a wonderful bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm watching this tonight, I'm kinda looking forward to it being a bit poo poo.