Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hey, I just went through setting up a sole proprietorship in the U.S.A. so I don't know how much help my info will be. Also I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice or medical advice or anything.

Basically the whole process for me was that I printed a form from online from my county clerk's office, then went in with it and paid $40USD to complete my "Fictitious Business Name Statement" (colloquially referred to as a Doing Business As or DBA most of the time). I then had a 40 day window to publish that I was doing business as that name in a local newspaper so that people could be all "Oh it's this motherfucker who's doing business as this company!" or whatever, and probably to make it easier to look up without going to the city I guess. At that point I have satisfied all the legal requirements to transact business as my business name, and can deposit and cash checks made out to the business, etc.

If you want to be an LLC or anything it gets more complicated, but basically the complications when you start it are that you pay more money to file more paperwork.

Also, separate from that, make sure nobody owns the trademark on your business name, that can lead to nasty stuff if you do not! You should then probably look into trademarking your business name once you have established nobody else has it trademarked. The way things are set up in the U.S. you can conceivably go get your business set up and start selling stuff and everything all fine and dandy in the eyes of the law and then like 6 months later somebody could show up, owning the trademark for the name and sue you. I have literally 0 idea how that works in Canada though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread