Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

adventure in the sandbox posted:

OP is rude. I asked for stories and they ignored me :( smh

OP (probably, but one can hope not) got driven away by the PI retards who will then whine about how PI is dying after they kill a thread that could've had good content.

Thank you super for your sperg on pit bulls. This could have been a constructive discussion with a former ACO about classification of breed, dog bite reporting, etc., but instead you just flail around about your furbabies.

Thank you fluffy bunnies for your over-reaction. It was established that the ACO only reached for a weapon after someone started yelling at them. In the situations ACOs find themselves in, if someone near where you were called at 2am starts yelling gibberish at you, it is prudent to be prepared to defend yourself.

And here I was going to ask things about budget for treatment of strays, per capita officers, etc. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wtftastic posted:

yeah in your professional work as a vet there's no way you could ever contact an ACO or someone who runs animal control in your area. it would literally be impossible. they would never want to talk to you.

can't blame them.

I don't work in General Practice anymore, and I'm not associated with the local ACO because there's no reason for me to be. Where I used to work, we were the clinic that ACO used. We had one ACO for the city; he was overworked, underpaid, but he did his best. The cases he brought to us were almost always sad. We knew a lot of how things worked (and didn't) from him, but different places function differently.

Flavor Truck posted:

Go on ahead. Thanks to everyone who PM'ed me about this thread. I'm not discouraged by shitposting in light of those who have legitimate questions. There's very little information out there on the day-to-day for ACOs and my positive experiences greatly outweighed the negative. I still volunteer at a local shelter and have lots of input on things like budgeting, treatment of strays by shelter size, etc.

How did your area handle intake? Did you have a central holding area, and if so, was it sufficient to your needs? Was there a written (or unwritten) rule about amount of treatment on stray cases?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

How were your relations with the police?

I ask because an ACO I used to work with would tell us stories where it seemed like it had to be that the police held him in low regard or were just... dumb.

One that sticks out is the police picking up a dead dog on the side of the road and putting the body in his truck... in the summer and over the weekend (the ACO was off Sat/Sun).

• Locked thread