Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Traveling...

Forever_Peace posted:

"My friends here say that there are some humans up at the tree bridge digging holes - do you happen to have any idea what that might be about? Were they here when you last passed through?"
"That one's news to me. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Most of the humans in the forest are friendly, and rarely attack us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Waador posted:

"That one's news to me. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Most of the humans in the forest are friendly, and rarely attack us."

Clive smiles and fishes an apple out of his bag as an indulgence for Gala as his companions work out their differences. He doesn't have the heart to mention that the last people who happened to be unfriendly are presently carrying around the rapidly rotting head of his previous owner in a bag. "Most" is only enough until it ain't, my friend.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Traveling...
While the group considers their options, the sky darkens due to the movement of clouds overhead. A light rumble in the air heralds the beginnings of a moderate rainfall. The sounds of the storm will likely mask your approach, but the flowing rain will almost certainly make any journey across the river more dangerous than it already would have been.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Waador posted:

Traveling...
While the group considers their options, the sky darkens due to the movement of clouds overhead. A light rumble in the air heralds the beginnings of a moderate rainfall. The sounds of the storm will likely mask your approach, but the flowing rain will almost certainly make any journey across the river more dangerous than it already would have been.

"Let's just hit them from this side of the river. And try not to damage their tents."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jorvan Jozan
[HP: 10/10] [AC: 16]
[Hit Dice: 1d8] [Hit Dice Left: 1/1]
Hero Points: 5/5

While still at Oleg's

"Mr. Oleg now isn't the time for planning this but I wanted to ask a favor of you. These men and women I'm travelling with all have their unique skills. Some handle maps and money while others have more...aggressive skill sets." The elf nods his head briefly to the half orc. "Now what I offer on this expedition comes down to matters of faith. I'm here to see to wounds both physical and spiritual. So when we are done with this Kessle I'd like your permission to set up a chapel within your walls. Nothing outlandish like in the great cities of course. Just a simple place where people can be with their gods in quiet reflection. I think the Greenbelt could use that kind of comfort in these trying times." Jorvan pauses for a moment as a thought comes to him. "And you know it stands to reason that travelers might be more likely to come and do business with you if they know that they can also attend to the matters of the spirit as well as the mundane in your fine establishment."

After leaving Olegs and looking for trouble

The report from Jergo's ghastly little pet wasn't too surprising. They were bound to encounter more bandits before they got to the main enclave. This bandit camp offered a chance for more information and to further weak the main force. However the weather was not with them nor was the terrain. The river was swelling and the log bridge looked dodgy at best. Jorvan strained his eyes through the rain in an attempt to see what else could be waiting across the river.

Perception Check - Riverside: 1d20+5 15

"In this weather I can very easily sneak up closer to the bandit's camp and get a better look around if you all wish me to try."

Lvl. 1 [2/2]: Burning Hands (Domain), Faerie Fire (Domain), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless, Detect Magic (Ritual)
Abilities:
Warding Flare [3/3]: Impose disadvantage on attacking enemy within 30 feet that can see by using reaction. Replenishes on Long Rest.

Trast fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 15, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Scritching Britzke on the top of his ghastly head Jergo whispers through their mental connection "I'd like for you to do another pass around the camp my little friend, see if there are any other people in the woods around the camp, if you think you can risk it take a peek into that pit and see what they're up to in there."

quote:

If it's just the two guys lets just unload on them and cross at our pace. If we can't kill two dudes with a surprise round and a full round of combat they deserve to get away :v:.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
It's this:

quote:

If it's just the two guys lets just unload on them and cross at our pace. If we can't kill two dudes with a surprise round and a full round of combat they deserve to get away .
:spergin:

Autumn Somerset
AC: 13 | HP: 9/9
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 2726/27
Hero Points: 4[b3]/5[/b]

Since we're not in combat, I'm gonna use an Action to Hide = 16 because ~wood elf and natural phenomenon~ :dealwithit:
Then next Action to arrow'd at whichever bandit because :flame:
12 to hit, 6 damage :rolldice:
Hero Point for +2 to hit :suicide:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen
HP: 7/7 AC: 16 Hero Points: 0/5 HD: 1d6

Pausing in his instruction to Britzke, Jergo eyes Autumn as she slips off toward the water bow in hand, suspecting she has violence on the mind he barrels off after her, his path forward diverging as she slips out of sight. Jergo's scurrying through the woods is not graceful or quiet by any means but he is hopeful that the turning weather covers for him.

Popping out further down from where Autumn is, Jergo finds his attention drawn off to the side as he ducks behind the log bridge while Autumn's bow let's off a twang and an arrow flies off into the midst of the odd excavators. There is a brief moment of guilt where Jergo considers that he may be taking part in an attack on innocent people but these fellows hold the same general look as those who were in Oleg's trading post and it quickly dispersed as a sense of justice takes it's place.

Holding out his athame Jergo hisses out "Vivo kaj morto Mi iras sen Malvarma Tuŝo" his spell fires off and a skeletal hand appears by one of the ¿bandits? and begins to claw away.

Familiar: Britzke the Fiendish Bat: 60' blindsight.
Spellbook (Save DC:13 +5 attack)
Rituals: Alarm(11min), Comprehend Language(10min), Detect Magic(10min), Find Familiar(1h10min 10gp)
Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Chill Touch, Prestidigitation, Mold Earth
Prepared Spells
Lv. 1 [1/2]: Mage Armor, Shield, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages
Class: Arcane Recovery (1 spell level p/long rest)
Effects: Mage Armor(8 hours)(13 ac becomes 16)

quote:

Not exactly what I had in mind when I suggested that but we'll make it work :ohdear:.

8 on a stealth check I'm hoping the turning weather inflicts disadvantage on their passive perception giving them a -5 to the auto check :v:.

Casting 16 to hit for 4 necrotic damage on Autumn's target

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 15, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Durnem Hapford (alias of Clive Wearling)

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

From his position a few yards behind Autumn, Clive strains to see through the pouring rain to the opposite side of the bank, but doesn't see much more from his vantage point than the wet, heavy wind agitating the foliage of the bank (Perception of river bank: 2#1d20+3 7, 14). As Autumn quietly slides into position, Clive pulls Gizmo to the ready and smoothly extends the top of the boulder by a about three and a half feet, allowing her plenty of illusory cover to hide behind. Clive hopes that anything on the other side wouldn't be able to notice the lack of rain splashes from across the river, but takes a second to admire the beautiful wet sheen he manages to produce over the surface of the stone.

quote:

Cast: minor illusion, "grow" the top of the boulder to be a few feet taller where Autumn is.

Then, Autumn pulls out her bow and smoothly draws back an arrow, taking sights at something she can see much better than Clive. From the rear, Clive can hear the pitter-patter of Jergo sprinting forwards in response, ready to get a piece of the action. Hero we go.

Clive rapidly moves up to join Autumn near the river bank, ducking next to her behind as much cover as he can manage. Clive whispers an incantation at the far bank, making some quick but relatively unpracticed gestures. "Það er syfjaður tími fyrir þig". God it's been years, I hope this works.

quote:

- Move 30' to beside Autumn (Stealth: 1d20+4 7 if needed but I'm treating this like a surprise round)
- Cast sleep near the center of the camp (Sleep: 5d8 19)
- Drop prone behind the rock and illusion

--------------------------------------------------------
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (3/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (1/2).
status effects: Speak with Animals (30mins), minor illusion 54 seconds.
(currently under the alias of Durnem the surveyor)

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 15, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

"Well I guess that takes scouting off the table." Jorvan rushed ahead to take cover in the rocks.

Not taking a combat action yet. Jorvan completely sure that these are bad guys yet.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Watching everyone else scurry off towards the river, Daimon shrugs, ties his horse up and follows them. He crouches next to Jorvan, hoping that the rain masked his approach.

dice and things posted:

Stealth towards river: 1d20+2 7

I didn't know if you were waiting for us to move up - I was quite happy to sit this one out.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 15/15 AC: 17 HD: d12 (1/1)

As the others slinked off, Gorom believed the plan was still to scout some more, but the twang of a bow and the chant of the banker-gnome told another story. "We will find any stragglers! Don't let one get away!" Pulling his shield off his back, Gorom turned from where he was going to head downstream and charged Kahli through the clearing. Reaching the log, Kahli leapt up onto the natural bridge as Gorom kept an eye out for an ambush.

Leaping to solid ground on the other side, Gorom turned his horse about and drew a javelin from the holster he'd put on his saddle and hurled the missile at the nearest bandit.

pre:
Perception: 1d20+2 9
Hurling a Javelin: 1d20+5 7
At disadvantage due to range, but I missed the first roll anyway.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Previously, on Oleg Ball Z...

Trast posted:

"Mr. Oleg now isn't the time for planning this but I wanted to ask a favor of you. These men and women I'm travelling with all have their unique skills. Some handle maps and money while others have more...aggressive skill sets." The elf nods his head briefly to the half orc. "Now what I offer on this expedition comes down to matters of faith. I'm here to see to wounds both physical and spiritual. So when we are done with this Kessle I'd like your permission to set up a chapel within your walls. Nothing outlandish like in the great cities of course. Just a simple place where people can be with their gods in quiet reflection. I think the Greenbelt could use that kind of comfort in these trying times." Jorvan pauses for a moment as a thought comes to him. "And you know it stands to reason that travelers might be more likely to come and do business with you if they know that they can also attend to the matters of the spirit as well as the mundane in your fine establishment."
"This is a brilliant idea, my friend! We can have statues to all of the well-endowed gods, yes?!" Oleg seems on board with the idea.

Meanwhile, in the forest...
At first, Jorvan endeavored to see through the rain (and the literal forest) to better assess the situation. This was a task obviously doomed to failure, but Jergo made an effort to aid it by lending the talents of his bat to perform a second radar sweep.
"Sure, boss, whatever you want." The familiar followed the instructions given to him, as they were simple enough: step one, do another pass around the camp, and determine if there are any other people in the woods. Afterwards, take a peek in the pit to see what they're up to. Taking off like a bat out of hell, Britzke does a wide sweep around the area, and is able to confirm, "I don't see any signs of people hiding in the woods around the camp. I'll head in closer to the camp site itself and see what they're hiding." Adjusting his course, the bat begins to make his way to the center of the encampment.

Unfortunately, it is around this time that the others had reached the limits of their patience. Perhaps the fault lies with Jergo, who didn't explain what his familiar was up to. Or perhaps the fault lies with the Brevoyan educational system, which did not instill a sense of discipline in the group. More likely, it is the lust for blood that creeps into the hearts of all those of no fixed address. Whatever it is, it happens quickly.

Autumn creeps her way towards the camp, easily taking up position opposite the fire pit and using the night blindness of the humans to her advantage. Jergo follows suit, worried that the elf might have violence on her mind, though he quickly abandons all thought of preventing her from such action as the night madness overtakes him as well. As if on cue, Clive summons an illusory rock to conceal the sniper on the literal grassy knoll: he too had succumbed to the blood lust, clearly. Around this time, Britzke has nearly made his way back to the camp site from his surveillance of the surrounding area, and Jergo receives a telepathic message, albeit a few heartbeats too late.
"Boss, I think I hear something moving out here. It doesn't sound like a human, though. Maybe a wild animal?"
pre:
Camp fire group level of alertness: 4%
Their passive perception at night is reduced by 5, due to dim light.
As a result, you all pass your stealth checks.
In the span of the same two or three heartbeats, Autumn launches an arrow into the chest of one of the men sitting by the campfire. That same man also gets punched directly in the face by a skeletal uppercut, which knocks him off balance. Shocked and reeling from the pain of the attack, he attempts to stand up, but loses his footing and goes careening directly into the camp fire. It wasn't a blaze by any means - or, at least, it wasn't - but now it's a human pyre. The man is screaming in pain and suffering terribly. His comrade, shocked as he was to see his conversation partner brutally attacked, had shot upright, and seemed to be about to run away, or perhaps start screaming for help: it is at this time that Clive's spell of sleeping takes hold. The screams of the man dying in the fire briefly stop, only to quickly resume. The man who had stood up in an attempt to react to the situation is also quickly overcome, and goes careening towards the ground - luckily, not into the camp fire - less luckily, directly into the river, with a splash.
pre:
Autumn's arrow hits the first man at the camp fire for 6 piercing damage.
Jergo's chilling touch then hits the same man for 4 necrotic damage.
He reels from the attack, and in his panicked state (21%) he slips into the camp fire.
The first man then takes 4 fire damage.

Clive's sleep spell then deals 19 non-lethal damage to the area.
This briefly puts the first man to sleep.
...his suffering resumes moments later as the fire still burns, however.
This also puts the second man to sleep.
...he was in the process of running for cover, also panics (14%), and goes careening into the river.
With all this going on, Gorom is lured into the fray as well, galloping towards the log bridge on Kahli. He hurls a javelin towards the men who were sitting at the camp fire, but as a result of the serious chaos of the battle, is unable to strike true.
pre:
Gorom's attack misses.
The scene is a terrible one. Only Jorvan and Daimon had managed to resist the lure of the night madness of the Narlmarches. Perhaps this is due to the monastic discipline instilled in Jorvan during his training, and similarly due to far more corrupting influences that Daimon had previously managed to resist in his former life. Whatever the reason, they are the innocents in this endeavor. Assuming there is any guilt to be laid, that is. Before there is an opportunity to confirm that, Jergo gets a troubling update.
"Oh, poo poo, boss. It's a troll, and it definitely heard those screams. It's heading your way!"

Rather predictably, everyone else in the area also heard those screams. You do tend to get results when a man is immolated alive. Although barely-clothed and poorly-armed, six heads quickly poke out of the nearby tents.
"What the hell is going on?!"
pre:
Roll initiative if you intend to continue your war on these men.

Waador fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 19, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan Jozan
Hero Points: 4/5

Oleg Ball Z

"....Yes I'm sure we can arrange that. Given that you are the most likely person to acquire the statues when you go into the city to purchase supplies you could even pick of the most endowed ones yourself." Jorvan didn't want to laugh but Oleg was certainly a character. And he probably wasn't far off on the statues either. Most gods and goddesses were known for the beauty, Desna especially. The elf just hoped that Oleg wouldn't pick out anything tacky.

Only you can prevent forest fires....welp

One man burning to death in the rain and the other put to sleep and dropped into the river. Things were certainly taking a turn for the worse. They still didn't even know what the men had been up to. Jorvan seized the rope from his pack and quickly looped it into a lasso. He couldn't let that man drown if he was an innocent caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Desna grace guide my hand again..." The rope sailed from his hand into the wind and rain.

Attack Roll to throw lasso onto man in water: 1d20+5 12

Hero Dice 1 of 5: 1d6 4 Attack and hero dice for a total of 16

Strength Check - Reeling in a fish: 1d20 10

Lvl. 1 [2/2]: Burning Hands (Domain), Faerie Fire (Domain), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless, Detect Magic (Ritual)
Abilities:
Warding Flare [3/3]: Impose disadvantage on attacking enemy within 30 feet that can see by using reaction. Replenishes on Long Rest.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

Jergo holds his head in his hands a moment and drags his open palms across his cheeks "Oh dear" He turns to face the rest of the group on this side of the river and hisses out a stage whisper "So there's a troll coming just thought you should know." His suspicions confirmed about Autumn's elven bloodlust, Jergo sighs over her impatience,and resolves to shoot down any of her attempts to "scout" in the future.

Figuring he may as well use a bad situation to his use, Jergo skims through his memories of his survival classes and recalls a sound the ranger teaching had warned everyone about, troll mating season was a very dangerous time, sending trolls into a feverish violent pitch as they domineered over each other to advance their own bloodlines, twisting his fingers into a knot Jergo swipes his hand through the air and across the river a loud sound of a troll declaring this it's mating grounds echoes out a short distance.

His little spell cast Jergo pulls back from the river bank and makes toward Bibuton to get him further away from the oncoming chaos.

Rituals: Alarm(11min), Comprehend Language(10min), Detect Magic(10min), Find Familiar(1h10min 10gp)
Prepared Spells
Effects: Mage Armor(8 hours)(13 ac becomes 16)

quote:

Made a nature check to know stuff about trolls for the following action :v: 18 on that.
Casting Minor Illusion on the other side of the river to make a sound that hopefully causes the troll to just barrel into their camp and start tearing dudes up while we pull back and let it work. This is of course assuming Britzke heard the troll on their side of the river, if it's on our side gently caress that noise I'll do something else :ohdear:.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In other circumstances, Jorvan manages what should be considered a fairly impressive shot: he snags the lasso around the man floating down the river. Unfortunately, as he pulls it taut, the current of the river draws the lasso up from the man's torso, and it tightens around his neck. He's safe for now, but...
pre:
Good old-fashioned hanging: 41%.
These guys sure do keep rolling poorly on the bad luck dice.
Perhaps luckily, Jorvan's efforts to pull the man in are met with little success. He manages to retain his footing along the slippery banks of the river, but reeling in a two hundred pound fish is hardly the easiest task in the world.
pre:
Jorvan's lasso secures the man, albeit by the neck.
However, his strength check is insufficient to reel him in.

Skill challenge
A DC 15 strength check is needed to reel the man in.
However, a result below 10 may cause you to fall into the river.
Furthermore, a result of 20 or higher may cause damage to the man's neck.
Meanwhile, Jergo creates the sounds of a rutting troll. That bodes well.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan Jozan

Try as he might Jorvan could not pull the man to the shore. Worse still the loop of the rope had slipped up to the man's neck and threatened to break the man's neck. "I can't hold him for long. Can anyone help me?" Jorvan hissed out through gritted teeth.

I rolled a d20 to decide if I attempt to continue to reel the guy in or let go. I rolled a 3 :v: However I remembered that another player can offer to assist in an action. If someone is willing to assist I'll try again. If no one wants to spend their action on this, understandable given impending horny troll, I will let go of the rope. The dice will decide!

Abilities:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trast posted:

Try as he might Jorvan could not pull the man to the shore. Worse still the loop of the rope had slipped up to the man's neck and threatened to break the man's neck. "I can't hold him for long. Can anyone help me?" Jorvan hissed out through gritted teeth.

Hearing the priest's request Daimon goes to help, taking hold of the rope closer to the riverbank. "We're probably going to have to kill him anyway. If you haven't inadvertantly throttled him."

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

Clive grimaces as the "quiet" disappearance of the lookouts descends into an immolation nightmare, and barely manages to heave a sigh of relief that his group still seems to remain hidden before the gentle Cleric, to Clive's utter astonishment, leaps down to the bank and flings a noose around the bandit in the midst of the rapidly-moving current, pulls it taut, and initiates a perpendicular hanging. Six more bandits step out of the tents to investigate the commotion.

At nearly the same instant, Jergo announces more bad news: a troll is on the way.

We are so hosed.

Clive is rolls back away from the bank and is about to book it back to Gala (hitched a few minutes back) when he remembers something from their earlier encounter back at Oleg's. Shortly after the little banker had vaulted onto the rooftop to pick off the last bandit...

quote:

"aaaaaaand finishing out my extravagant action with a casting of chill touch 14 to hit(8+6 from bard die) for 8 necrotic damage. Coward bandit also can't regain hp until the start of my next turn ."

Clive pauses and looks back to Jergo, perched on the bank and manipulating a clever illusion of a Troll call, presumably to lure it among the six bandits (INT check: do I know what the troll call was for? [DC10]: 1d20 14). Clive figures that tangling with a troll, much less with six additional bandits, was goddamned suicide. But maybe, just maybe, they might have a sporting chance.

Jergo, I'm not sure if you know this, but you just became the important person for miles.

quote:

-Give a bard dice to Jergo.
edit: “Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll a 1d6 and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes.
The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die,
but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails.”

Clive knows the score: the little gnome has to stay alive, and he has to keep the Troll busy with that little phantom hand. Clive taps the little gnome on the shoulder as he walks by to move Bibuton out of the way, and nods towards the right flank, away from the wooden bridge. "Let's set up over there, and hope your illusion works."

With that, Clive mounts a bolt in his crossbow and moves back up to the West of Autumn, laying prone a few feet from the edge of the bank. Jorvan would be spotted, but Clive hopes that the troll disrupts things soon enough for that to matter.

Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (2/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
status effects: Speak with Animals (30mins), minor illusion 54 seconds.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 20, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
As the tense situation continues to evolve, the men who had emerged from the tents finally begin to get their bearings.
"My god...", says the first, surveying the carnage that is the smoldering, flailing, screaming body of his comrade.
"You! You did this! You animal. Why?!", says the second, spotting the humanoid form of Gorom at the edge of the camp fire's flickering light.
The third turns his attention away from the soon-to-be funeral pyre, and follows the gaze of his comrade to Gorom. "By the gods, no ...it's an orc!" He was perhaps a bit more perceptive than his fellows.

The rest of the men gasp, their heads turning to look at the shadowy form of Gorom as well.
"Kill him! Kill him! Look what he did to Michael! And where is Jacob?! What did you do with Jacob?!" This one has perhaps not yet spotted the unconscious - and seemingly dead - body of his comrade in the river.
"Guys ...I didn't bring my sword. I thought it was a raccoon or something. Did ...you?"
"I ...didn't... I mean..."

A brief pause as the men exchange knowing glances with one another.
"Oh, poo poo..."

The men rush back inside their respective tents. Meanwhile, the sound of something large and feral heading through the brush towards the camp can be heard approaching at an alarming speed.
pre:
Initiative
 - Men 9
 - Troll 4

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan Jozan

"Desna bless you, Daimon. We might yet save this man." Jorvan again pulls against the current and with Daimon's help is able to turn the tide.

Strength Check with Advantage: 2#1d20 2 15

Abilities:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

Giving Durnem a quick nod Jergo makes sure Bibuton is secured and out of sight and then moves back to bank of the river on the boulder near Autumn. Allowing the lusty troll wails to fade out Jergo raises his hand again and with a few quick swipes extends the form of the stone he is crouched behind up and around his own form creating additional cover.

Jergo's spotty attention is jogged when he hears screams across the way "By the gods, no ...it's an orc!" Jergo lets out a quiet "Oooooh" having forgotten Gorom had charged across the water, well hopefully the half-orc would skedaddle before a horny or angry troll comes bursting into sight, maybe both? Horngry? Jergo shakes his head, there are more important things to focus on at the moment.

Prepared Spells
Effects: Mage Armor(8 hours)(13 ac becomes 16) Minor Illusion cover(10 rounds) Bardic Inspiration(1d6 to a roll) 10 minutes.

quote:

Extending the boulder Jergo is on top of with Minor Illusion to become unseen.

I expect letting the troll rampage through camp will take care of the majority of the half dressed unarmored people :v: we can then sweep in and mop up. I honestly forgot Gorom was on the other side of the water when I decided to try to spur the troll forward so I'll apologize for that now :ohdear:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 20, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Autumn Somerset
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 26/27
Hero Points: 3/5

Autumn gets comfortable in her hiding position and waits for the shitstorm to begin. :munch:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Although he had no real way of knowing it, Jergo had been right: they were in the thick of troll mating season. Contrary to the gnome's belief, however, that was not a good thing. Whether in the company of the sort of high society often frequented by Brevoyan bankers, or the wilds of the Greenbelt, there was one thing someone generally ought not do: and that was to invite a troll looking for love to a party. Any party.
pre:
How close are we to troll mating season?  Very much in the thick of it.
Things get very real, very quickly. With most of the group taking a 'wait and see' approach, Gorom is left to his own devices, while Autumn and Jergo hunker down. Jorvan and Daimon manage to extricate the man from the river without snapping his neck - but for the grace of Desna, a feat that should have been impossible in the weather conditions - and are able to safely drag him to their side of the shore. He remains blissfully unconscious.
pre:
Jorvan and Daimon manage to rescue the man from the river.
Meanwhile, the sounds of shields buckling, crossbows being loaded, and swords being drawn are obvious from within the nearby tents. Ironically, their focus on arming themselves against an 'orc' leaves them blind to the rescue of their comrade, although from their perspective it likely would have seemed to be a kidnapping from some unknown and presumably orcish source across the river.
pre:
Gorom has two rounds to do whatever he wants, assuming nobody else does anything.
Meanwhile, Britzke gets a closer look at what is heading your way.
"He's ...erect, sir..."
pre:
You brought this on yourselves.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo claps his hand over his mouth and snaps back at Britzke in his mind "Gross. Britzke stop being gross! Don't look at thing's junk!" The gnome claps his hands over his eyes and shakes his head mumbling "oh this is gonna be so gross."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
"I ...can't look away, sir. Even if I close my eyes, my bat senses let me feel his curves... it's... truly awful."

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 15/15 AC: 17 HD: d12 (1/1)

As the men emerge from their tents, Gorom lets out a snarl, only reinforcing the stereotype. However as they are practically in their long johns, the Orc lets out a boisterous laugh as they scramble back into their tents. Shouldering his shield, the barbarian pulls his great axe from the hanger on his back and prepares to work himself into a rage as he steers Kahli around the pit into the camp.

It was then something strange happened, there was a sound that even disturbed the Orc. It sounded like the friended mating call of a female troll, but it was coming from across the river. Gorom managed to put two and two together, based on his band's past trickery, however it seemed like a really stupid plan. These men were already scared shitless, and for a good reason, why make a-

Perception (for realism): 1d20+2 22

Suddenly there was another noise from somewhere off in the other direction. It was a crashing, thrashing noise, and it brought with it the braying of a male troll. Nevermind, this was a good plan, thought the Orc with a fanged grin.

Laughing manically, Gorom did in fact ride into the camp, axe raised high. However it didn't strike the unarmed men in their tents. Instead the hungry axe did what axes do and bit into the wooden tent poles and severed their cording. Once adequately damaged enough to collapse the tent on the Unarmored men, Gorom gave out a whooping cheer like an animal and rode to the other tent to do the same.

Once the tents had fallen, Gorom knew he had little to no time, and Kahli was beginning to panic from the smell of troll musk. God awful smell. Unsure is he could backtrack to the log bridge in time, Gorom opted to exit the scene as quickly as possible and rode out of the camp, due haste.

spending both rounds to collapse each tent with the men inside. Round 1, Split move, collapse tent, move to other tent. Round 2 collapse tent and full move away from troll. If the troll is coming from the west I run to the bridge, any other direction, I run west.

The tents now likely resemble thrashing, amorphous blobs. Possibly screaming in panic because they think an Orc is killing them as I shout and stomp around the area. I think this makes me evil now, lol

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

"Oh buddy... I'l save you" Jergo waves his hands above his head for a moment and then weaving his fingers together and closing them tightly, he sends Britzke to a pocket dimension blessedly lacking in troll dongs. :dong:

quote:

Temporarily dismissing Britzke the poor guy :gonk:.

Ahaha yesssssss Gorom!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

Clive smiles as Gorom raises some hell among the humans. He feels a slight twinge of concern that these random humans might not be more than a quick snack for the troll ("get somebody else to solve problems for you"), but it was certainly goddamned entertaining, and that was more important.

Nice work, Gorom

quote:

- Gorom gets a bard dice.
"Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll a 1d6 and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes.
The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die,
but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails.”

On a whim, Clive then decides to add a little surprise for the troll. Clive has no idea how well trolls can jump (he's never seen one in person), but he knows that three squishy people plinking away with arrows and magical grasping hands might make for a tasty target. While the far side of the river descends into chaos, Clive motions to Autumn to get her head down. Then, the illusory stone in front of her disappears, as another sod-encased boulder grows out of the river bank on the far side. To anybody (or anything) on the far side of the river, it would look like a 15-foot jump from stone to stone across the river. Of course, that first "stone" might prove to have some difficult footing.

quote:

minor illusion: make a stone outcropping, partially covered in sod, on the far side of the river.
Marked on roll20

Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (1/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
status effects: Speak with Animals (30mins), minor illusion 60 seconds, prone.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 20, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

The roar of a rutting troll shakes Jorvan from his efforts to bring the rescued man onto dry land. "You might have just been saved from a fate worse than death, stranger."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
While Jergo grants blessed mercy to his familiar, whisking him safely away to a pocket dimension with approximately zero troll genitals per capita, Gorom quickly clues in to what is happening, and more importantly, what is about to happen. The men inside the tents were hurriedly trying to arm and armor themselves, which was not a process made simpler when their tents were collapsed in upon them. The screams of the men were truly terrified, as if expecting the follow-up blow of Gorom's axe any second. It was reasonable, really: first, he would blind them and restrain them with the weight of the tent, and then he would chop madly at the tarp until it was a bloody pulp of man flesh. When the follow-up blows did not come, they seemed slightly confused.
"He's going to kill us! He's going to kill us!"
"Quiet, fool! Do you hear that? He's galloping away! Hah! Maybe he knew he couldn't take all of us."
"Thank the gods. Somebody wake up the kid, we've got to get out of here before he comes back with more hands to finish the job."
"Good idea. I'll take a look outside. Maybe there's ...something we can do for Michael. And we still don't know what happened to Jacob!"
"There's no time for that. Get your head in the game!"
"Has anybody seen my pants?!"
"..."

It takes a few moments, but three of the men begin to cut themselves free from the eastern tent. They haven't had time to strap any armor to themselves, assuming they own any, but they have managed to brandish daggers and short swords, which are helpful in freeing themselves from the now-worthless tent.
"Hey, what's that sound...?"
They emerge from the tent just in time to come face to face with a living nightmare.

"Oh no..."
"Grllugrhrgll..."

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 20, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo curses his race's ability to see in the dark and ducks his head to the ground hands clasped tightly against his eyes "Oh Gods... it's twitching, I'm so sorry Britzke." :cry:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

The arrival of the troll signaled a new bloody turn to the events on the river. To say that it was in a state of agitation would be an understatement. The men across the river where soon going to feel the troll's anger of the lack of a willing companion. Jorvan still had lingering doubts as to whether the men were bandits or not and he needed answers quickly. He shook the man he and Daimon had dragged from the river until he was awake. "If you value your life answer me truthfully! Do you serve Kessle or the Stag Lord?!?"

Charisma Check: 1d20-1+1d4 22 :fry:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Jorvan shakes the sleeping, waterlogged, lucky-to-be-alive man to consciousness. It takes him a few moments to register that he is alive, and, for some reason, that he has been either saved or captured by an elf.
Barely coherent, the man nearly vomits, coughing up a non-trivial amount of river water. Hacking and wheezing, he responds to the question, "W...what? Who?" His body is shivering, clearly the chill of the river has taken its toll on him, "N...no. T-t-t-trackers. S-s-searching for the k-kid's f-f-f-father..."

Meanwhile, the scene across the river progresses just as planned. Faced with a terror that dwarfs them in size, the men in the nearest tent make an effort to strike it down, and are met with about as much success as you might expect. Their short swords and daggers barely even pierce the hide of the creature, and the wounds begin to seal over immediately. In response, the troll bites one of the men viciously in the shoulder, while using its meaty hands to grab the other two by the waist and smash them together like sea shells.
pre:
The three men in the eastern tent attack with short swords and daggers.
 Hit - 19 / 6 / 11
 Damage - 5 slashing

The troll regains 10 hit points, regenerating his wounds.
The troll responds in kind, with his toothy maw and hamfisted claws.
 Hit - 15 / 14 / 14
 Damage - 5 / 6 / 8 piercing and slashing
For whatever reason, the troll seems to be playing with its prey. It seemed to be pulling its punches, as it deftly grabbed hold of the men, but instead of tearing them in half, it seemed to have just given them a few love taps. A horrifying thought occurs to Jergo ...could this be ...foreplay?

The screams of the men as the ravaging by the troll commences seems to inspire their comrades to emerge from the western tent, crossbows in hand. They take aim and fire with deadly accuracy.
"Get away from them, you sub-human animal!"
pre:
The men in the western tent emerge, bearing crossbows.
 Hit - 23 (critical!) / 20 / 23 (critical!)
 Damage - 10 / 8 / 11 piercing
The bolts embed themselves cleanly in the creature's neck, chest, and shoulders. A lesser creature would have died instantly. Even Gorom would have died to a barrage like that, more likely than not. A lesser creature this troll was not, however.

:siren:Combat:siren:
:rolldice:
:v: (AC 11, 5 damage, injured) (AC 11, 6 damage, injured) (AC 11, 8 damage, wounded) [short swords and daggers]
:v: (AC 15, 29 damage, injured)
:v: (AC 11) [crossbows]
:ghost: [Michael]

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan Jozan

"Trackers? Desna preserve us." He let go of the man and turned to look at the battle on the other side of the river. In their haste to violence it seemed that Autumn had set off a chain reaction of events that led to her, Jergo, and Durnem killing an innocent man and nearly another. That couldn't be helped right now. What he could do was fight to make things right. Jorvan utter a holy incantation and holy light shot out of his hand towards the troll

Guiding Bolt at Troll / 4d6 DMG Roll: 2#1d20+5 7 20 HIT 4d6 16 DMG

"We need fire to kill that monster! Torches and flaming arrows if we can." the elf says to his party.

Jorvan yells across the river to the men. "Fight on! Help is here!

Jorvan will move as close as possible and as carefully as needed to the log bridge. If the troll tries to cross over I'm going to hit it with burning hands.

Bloodthirsty murder hobos going to get innocent trackers snu snu'd by a troll. :v:

Abilities:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

Jergo isn't quite sure what is going on anymore as Jorvan suddenly bursts into motion, but Jergo has always been an impressionable gnome and thus follows other's leads at the drop of a hat. Jergo considers the situation for a moment and comes to the realization that perhaps Jorvan is hoping to win the bandits(?) trust in hopes they would bring the group to their leaders? Honestly if Jergo had to really think about it he doesn't care, he'd do anything at this moment in time to stop the troll's gargantuan body flesh and turgidity from jiggling around.

Momentarily uncovering his eyes Jergo holds back a gag and starts casting "Vivo kaj morto Mi iras sen Malvarma Tuŝo!" throwing his hand out again a skeletal hand appears quickly slapping itself down neatly onto the troll's chest, the skeletal digits immediately writhing in disgust to reflect Jergo's own discomfort, however the troll's flesh surrounding where Jergo's spell has landed pales and the Troll's quickly closing wounds halt in their regeneration.

His work done for the moment Jergo closes his eyes tightly and tries to lock these horrible memories away in the vault.** Mentally turning a key Jergo looks up and lets out a gasp of surprise at the heavily edited by his mind beast that is attacking the group's resting companions!

Familiar: Britzke the Fiendish Bat: 60' blindsight. Unsummoned
Prepared Spells
Effects: Mage Armor(8 hours)(13 ac becomes 16) Minor Illusion cover:(10 9 rounds.) Bardic Inspiration(1d6 to a roll): 9 minutes 54 seconds

quote:

Casting chill touch on the troll with advantage from being unseen, hit with a 15 for 6 necrotic damage and the troll becomes incapable of healing any hit points until the start of my next turn.*

Chill Touch- You create a ghostly, skeletal hand in the space of a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the creature to assail it with the chill of the grave. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and it can’t regain hit points until the start of your next turn. Until then, the hand clings to the target

** Rolled a d100 the higher the result the more of this Jergo is locking away :ohdear: got a 75 so Jergo is locking away 75% of this experience, he's gonna remember a troll wandering into camp and summarily being beaten up but the other details don't matter :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 21, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

As everything goes to hell in a handbasket, Clive basks in the beautiful chaos. He had expected that the Stolen Land would be a convenient place to lay low for a while. He had not expected camp demolitions, troll dongs, river lassos, and thrilling infantry skirmishes.

It's all just a little too much for Clive. After just a few seconds of trying to line up a ludicrous long-distance sniper shot (just who the gently caress do I think I am?), Clive gives up in exasperation and decides to pursue a course of action that would be so much more fun.

Still prone, Clive slowly plows forward through the wet mud, half-sliding down towards the bank across from his illusory river stone. Once perfectly positioned as bait, Clive stands up to his full height, brimming with such confidence and poise, the grimy goop sloughing down his front just barely manages to look like so much dramatic flair. Throwing his hand crossbow over his right shoulder, Clive weaves a devastating turn of phrase that slithers through the space between him and Troll, seeping through the porous cracks in the beast's fragile psyche and permeating through the core of it's fragile ego.

"...We're really not all that impressed by it."

Clive makes direct, unflinching eye contact with beast.

...and then drops like a sack of potatos back onto the river bank and tries to blend into the sloshing mud as much as possible.

quote:

- Move 15' to the rock near the bank and stand up. (order only reversed for fluff reasons)
- cast Dissonant Whispers at the Troll for: 3d6 11 damage. WIS save for 1/2 damage. On failed save, must run away from me as a reaction (triggering 3 attacks of opportunity in the process)
- drop prone again

Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (1/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (0/2).
status effects: Speak with Animals (30mins), minor illusion 54 seconds, prone.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 21, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Realizing the truth of the situation, or at least deciphering some of it, Jorvan unleashes a bolt of holy 'fire' upon the troll in an effort to undo the tragedy wrought by his companions. The radiance of Desna sears the beast terribly, lighting it up in the night like a bonfire. Jorvan calls out to the men with the promise of help. They respond with stark terror, however.

More specifically, in the flickering light of the campfire, neither you nor they had really been provided an opportunity to assess the situation. As Desna's radiance flickers about it, however, you are all provided with a clear view of the creature. It is four times the size of an average troll, and the milky whites of its eyes, and the way it isn't even looking at any of you, suggest that the creature is blind. It has clearly made up for its deformity at birth by becoming the largest, roughest, toughest troll you have ever seen.
pre:
Desna's light temporarily illuminates the troll, providing a clear view of the creature.
It is clearly blind, and is four times the size of a regular troll.
This is not a good sign.
The beast roars in pain in response to the onslaught, however, which is a good sign.
pre:
The troll takes 16 radiant damage from Jorvan's guiding bolt.
As this occurs, Jergo's tiny gnome brain has finally had enough, and suffers a brief psychotic break. Fracturing the terrible memories and locking them away - hopefully forever - in a corner of his mind reserved for unbalanced ledgers and inaccurate accretion of debt, he is left with only the vaguest understanding of the situation as it has unfolded. He knows well enough to batter a troll, though, and the creature receives a thorough necrotic fisting.
pre:
The troll takes 6 necrotic damage, and suffers the secondary effect of chill touch.
Made of sterner stuff than the gnome, Clive manages to keep his wits about him, and laces a debilitating enchantment upon the psyche of the troll.
pre:
The troll makes a wisdom save, and gets 4
The troll takes 11 psychic damage, and uses its reaction to move away from Clive.
The men immediately take attacks of opportunity, rolling 10 / 17 / 20.
Their onslaught deals an additional 8 slashing damage.
The troll's throbbing erection is unhindered by Clive's psychic onslaught, but it does seem to suffer a wounded ego, and it immediately turns its back on the man, crying and running away: perhaps yet another in a long line of rejections in its lifetime. The men engaged in melee with the creature seize the opportunity, carving wide gashes across its calves and back as it turns to flee.
:siren:Combat:siren:
:rolldice:
:v: (AC 11, 5 damage, injured) (AC 11, 6 damage, injured) (AC 11, 8 damage, wounded) [short swords and daggers]
:qq: (AC 15, 70 damage, injured)
:v: (AC 11) [crossbows]
:silent:
:ghost: [Michael]

Waador fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 21, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Autumn Somerset
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 2625/27
Hero Points: 32/5

"U mad bro?" :troll:
Autumn smirks to herself and takes aim at the slathering abomination.

Troll is blind so ADVANTAGE FOR EVERYONE! :v:
Longbow with Advantage™ and therefore Sneak Attack©: what the gently caress.
Hero Point: 16 to hit, for 11 piercing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HP: 9/9 AC: 13 Hero Points: 4/5 HD: 1d8+1 Spells 1 @1

Leaving Jorvan and the half-drowned man to thier own device Daimon makes his way towards the brdige, loosing a crossbow bolt at the troll, but curses as the shot goes wide.

dice and things posted:

Crossbow at Troll + damage: 2d20k1+4 11 1d8+2 4
I want to try and get close enough to hit it with my own Dissonant Whisper spell

• Locked thread