Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Daina Giedre
Pers: 5/16; Peri: 36/40; Wp: 5/5

(I'm going to declare minor Intimacy "I Speak for Them", will gradually turn into Major as Daina gets to know the people she speaks for!)

Daina too lets out a sigh, but it is not a sigh of relief. 'What have I gotten myself into?' she internally ponders, but there is no time to answer that question when already there's another one being asked of her.

"Geidre?" Daina said, turning to Letti as she snapped out of the momentary daze. "Oh please, call me Daina, my parents run the Geidre inn. Been through the family for generations. I play music for them every now and then." She fell silent for a moment as the weight of the situation dawned on her. "I just...hate it when innocent people get into trouble for things they were never responsible for."

"Anyway, the festival!" She clapped her hands together, suddenly realizing there was still the festival to worry about. "It's a basic coming of age festival for Lozari, and a few of the other nearby hamlets. A big thing every year, good to reconnect to the people we haven't seen for a while."

As murmurs started to slowly rise from the crowd around the train, Daina leaned into Letti. "Any chance you could get them back to fixing up the train? I think I've said enough for today."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

PE: 6/16, PPE: 19/29, WP: 5/6, Limit: 0
Active Charms: Keen Hearing Technique (indefinite), Keen Sight Technique (scene)

"Dunno about you, but I'm interested in seeing it!" Mammoth said brightly as he sauntered up to Daina and Letti, grinning broadly with a mouth full of slightly-crooked teeth and bright eyes underneath a carved eyeshield that rested on his forehead.

"Sorry if I scared anyone, " he said, thumping his weapon happily, "seems I was right about that ambush, though. And it looks like help was on the way, if things had gone badly" he said, pointing at the figure of Shain.

"We should get everything loaded up, though, this train isn't going anywhere for a while. People should get their valuables, divvy up horses, and get to town. Maybe after folks in town clear some of the mud flows, they can come by and fill in the trap."

He jabbered happily, and his lack of introduction seemed more an oversight than an intentional slight, especially with the adrenaline of a near-battle so recently past.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Beneficent Owl

The doctor smiles secretly as the situation resolves itself without him. It was very impressive that one so young could have such a commanding presence--and kindness of heart. He waits a few moments before introducing himself to Daina. "I'm grateful for what you did back there, vouching for us before you even knew us; I don't even want tot think about what would've happened without you." Bursts of golden power, his nature revealed, and life on the run once again... He seems to stare off into the distance for a moment before continuing. "Please, call me Owl. Did I hear correctly that your family owns an inn? I was hoping to secure a peaceful place for my patient to rest." He gestures over to where the driver still lies on a cloak, sleeping peacefully now. "And as a measure of thanks for everything you've done today, please let me know if anyone you know requires healing--I'd be more than happy to help."

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Train

With a combination of more help having arrived, Letti's earlier encouragement, and an obvious incentive, the crowd dispersed and got to work quickly. Most of the merchants had carried their goods a ways before catching the train, so there were enough mounts to go around. Anything they couldn't get, they could come back for, though there was a lot of theorizing about whether the bandits were just waiting for them to leave to pick whatever was left.

But shortly, Liandre's head snapped up. He once again glanced to something at his right, then stood and jumped over the escarpment.

"Now what?" Agidus grumbled. He'd changed into much rougher boots for the mud, and squelched his way to Hara. The boy followed unsteadily, barefoot in the mud with his shoes slung over his shoulder. He looked ready to topple and the trek hadn't even begun. The merchant didn't seem to notice, his eye now on Daina and Letti. "This is the welcome we get? I should have stayed home. What an utterly wretched place." He made no move to help Hara's efforts, or offer her another towel, and had soon wandered off to grouse at someone else.

Some of the train's crew and a few passengers with weapons volunteered to stay behind and guard the rest while more leparns were brought in to finish hauling. Those with injuries went first on mounts, secured with some of the wares. It wouldn't be long now, and most of the train agreed on one thing: They all needed some drinks.

Daina's family could use some warning of what was heading their way.

--

The men stared at Shain blankly for a moment. Then something slammed into him from behind without so much as a sound for warning, and pinned him to the ground. It didn't hurt, beyond getting the wind knocked out of him, but claws on his shoulders suggested it could at any moment.

"Hold up, Gravel," one said. He looked like he wasn't sure whether to laugh at Shain's predicament or be horrified. "That's Shain, isn't it?" He glanced to a companion for confirmation, who only shrugged. "Let him up, man, he's only here to help out."

Gravel seemed unwilling to do so, until Liandre cleared the ridge and came to a gentle rest out of sight from the road. Then the elemental scrambled off Shain as fast as it could move. "My apologies," Liandre said. He stared at the man for a moment, like a collector studying a butterfly. "Shain Zio. The situation is resolved with no serious injuries, but thank you for coming to aid." He strode down the hill as Shain picked himself up. A flick of his hand called a gust of wind to brush the dirt off Shain's clothes. "Far-Flung Gravel is a touch excitable."

The rockhound looked about as sour as a rockhound could with a literal stone face.

--

If no one is going to join in Shain's bit, then go ahead to town with the caravan. The very muddy, rather cold caravan. For expedience, everyone will meet at the inn once this finishes up.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Shain - PE: 16/16 | PPE: 28/28 | WP: 5/5 | Limit: 0/10 | SM: 0

There was a stormy look on Shain's face as he got up and off the ground. His senses were getting dimmer. Once upon a time, he would have noticed the hound's approach instantly, but now he'd been taken totally off-guard. He wasn't sure whether to let loose his anger or rein it in. His edge was dulling. The creeping feeling of obsolescence was maddening, but on the other hand...he was retired. And the fact his reflexes had had a chance to get worse meant his attempts to get away from his old life had finally worked. That was soothing thought, and the frown soon disappeared from his face.

"Don't even mention it. Serves me right for not keeping an eye out." He said, managing a smile and waving away the need for an apology with a gesture of his hand. "Did he think I was about to try something or is he just suspicious of strangers in general?" He asked, glancing at the rock hound. "And where'd you find him? I didn't know Lozari was home to any earth spirits."

Transient People fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 19, 2015

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Train

Gravel managed to look deeply insulted. "You don't often connect with the local spirits, do you?" Liandre asked, bemused. "Don't feel too displeased. He did materialize mid-jump."

"How was I to know?" Gravel growled, in a voice of stone grinding on stone.

"Protective," Liandre said idly, and motioned toward town. "It seems the train is ready. The town might want a warning, I would think. Severa does hate surprises." He looked thoughtful. "Perhaps you could join us at the Giedre family inn after business is addressed. It might prove enlightening." He smiled. "I'll see you there, yes?"

--

The train met up with Everai's small detachment on the way to town. The General looked annoyed, and his expression didn't change when Agidus marched up and began filling him in on what had transpired, joined by a few others. The rest of the party arrived at the inn without further mishap, and though their reception was hasty, Daina's warning had arrived in time to prevent further logistical disaster.

Many passengers went straight to their provided rooms to wash off the mud and rest; some came right back down for drinks after a change of clothes. Agidus had, at least, given Hara her promised outfit before he marched off to talk to the General. It was certainly lively, with the liquor flowing freely even before the last stragglers tramped over the doorway and collapsed at the tables.

Finn dropped into a chair and looked longingly at the bar. He wasn't a drinker, but sometimes... He closed his eyes and let his head thunk wearily on the backrest. "I can't believe I'm actually glad that the Realm's here to clean that up. Severa's going to be so pissed..."

Agidus's assistant, left to his own devices, didn't quite make it to the table before he collapsed. The minstrel helped him to a chair in a corner, where he draped his own cloak over him and searched the room for Owl.

--

First scene finished - 2bp and 2sbp for everyone.

I'm assuming everyone has arrived at the inn by now for a breather, and/or that promised meeting. Feel free to mingle before then.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Yu Tan Harakino - PE: 0/16 | PPE: 25/31 | WP: 5/5 | Limit: 0/10

Hara, quickly wiped mostly free of mud and wearing her new clothes, collects two mugs of ale and takes a seat by Agidus' assistant. She checks for a pulse before setting down beside the poor fellow, feet...on a nearby chair, after a quick assessment of the inn suggests that feet on the table would be frowned upon. "I'm sure there'll be a hardship bonus in it for you, my friend." She laughs darkly at some internal joke that isn't funny. Luckily, a few coins that hadn't been there previously were now located in one of the assistant's pockets. She'll have to keep an eye on the merchant while he's still in town, just to make sure no accusations of theft get thrown around.

When the doctor arrives, Hara waits until he's tended to the patient before sliding the ale in his direction. "The wages of virtue are sometimes death, but sometimes ale. Last patient?"

Use Flawless Pickpocketing Technique to give poor dude a little spending money.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 20, 2015

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

PE: 16/16, PPE: 29/29, WP: 5/6, Limit: 0
Active Charms: Keen Hearing Technique (indefinite)

The Icewalker took a few bundles under each arm and walked towards the front of the group, pointing out soft spots in the mud and generally clearing the way. When the route was clear, he’d occasionally drift back in the pack and talk about looking forward to the bright green growths of spring, looking forward to new litters of sled dogs, and interest in the festivities.

“A child might help out with home, but is generally expected to be cared for. You only become an adult when you can build a solid igloo, when you can hunt up the meat for a feast, and then you host your friends and family. You are a man when you can care for others, so you show that by throwing your own celebration!” he said, his irrepressible cheer annoying some and buoying the spirits of others.

“And songs are important, too. You might write your own, have some given to you, and everyone sings and eats. Daina, will you be playing tonight?”

When they reached the inn, he sat down at his table. He could tell which table was his, because it was the table that had a blanket thrown over one portion of it when folks spotted him coming, to spare their tables further denting and mild charring. He put Hesiash's Anger on the ground with a *thump* and rested the giant Orichalcum weapon against the blanket before ordered mead and meat. Lots of meat.

There was plenty of room for others to join him.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Hidden by the new visitors' activity and off to the side in a corner, Shain drank quietly...though perhaps it was more appropriate to say he was nursing a drink. He was taking his sweet time actually getting through it. Having taken care of all the details of his upcoming expedition, he'd chosen to take a minute to sit down and think after arriving at the Geidre inn. The way Gravel had blindsided him was something he could push aside for a time, but not really forget. It had stuck in his craw, refusing to leave his mind.

He was getting dull. Growing less useful with each passing day. Each errand he'd undertaken had seen him accomplish less and less...he'd chosen to retire, but that didn't mean he wanted to be worthless. He couldn't just lie on his bed and stare at the ceiling for a whole day. He needed something to keep him busy. Some kind of challenge...

Overcome by the sudden urge to do something, he gulped down the rest of his drink in one shot and stood up, running his hands over his hair and making sure his coat was just the way he liked it before looking around for Liandre. It was time to see what he wanted to talk about.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Daina Giedre
Pers: 5/16; Peri: 36->33/40; Wp: 5/5
Ongoing: Spirit Detecting Glance (3m)

"Of course I will," Daina said, smiling at Bright Spark, "I've been practicing for this night you know. I guess ever since I moved into the Archives, Lozari hasn't heard me practicing as much anymore." She shrugged at the thought. Everyone has to leave their home sometime. "I'll be playing with Severa, and speaking of which, I should probably let her know what on earth happened with the train."

- - -

Daina didn't send a message ahead of time to Severa, unlike the one she gave to her parents. This kind of news would be likely to piss Severa off, and that would be bad for everyone. But something about Liandre's words disturbed her. The spirits were angry...and he seemed to care quite a bit about them. If he was coming into town, it wouldn't be surprising if there was a spirit or ten accompanying him. She would have to keep her eyes open.

(Activating Spirit Detecting Glance. Daina can see but not physically interact with dematerialized spirits.)

"Severa!" Daina hollered out as the other woman came into view. "The train's back, everyone's safe, but I have some bad news..."

(Let's skip the explanation in the spirit of getting things moving faster.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 21, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tepet Letti - PE: 7/16 | PPE: 35/35 | WP: 5/5 | Limit 0/10

Reyva came down the stairs alone. He had finally changed his clothes, and got as much of the mud out of his hair as he could, but he still looked a bit more mussed than he liked when meeting new people. He looked around the room at the locals and the train passengers. There weren't any empty tables left, so he'd have to sit with someone if he was going to eat no matter how he felt about mixing with the commoners. His aunt was nowhere to be seen. Heartened somewhat by that fact, he found the noisy Icewalker with the giant cannon and a plate of meat that couldn't possibly be meant for one person and sat down next to him.

"So..." he muttered, not really sure how to open a conversation like this. "You're not from town either, are you? What kind of weapon is that?" He could feel the echo of fire essence pulsing through it from across the table, and without thinking reached out one hand to touch the smooth barrel.

====

Letti meanwhile, had changed her muddy boots and skirt for less muddy but seemingly identical versions of the same, and sat pouring herself some hot tea while waiting in her room for the coded knock she knew would soon come.

"Enter," she said, once she heard it.

The man who opened the door then closed it discreetly behind himself was perfectly average looking in every way. He had shaggy brown-blonde hair over a face that rarely smiled or frowned, his clothes were clean and well kept but unadorned and inexpensive. Even the way he walked as he took a few steps into the room, his posture, his presence were all lacking anything that would make him interesting to look at. The eyes simply slid off him, like rain on an overcoat.

Then he looked up, and Letti smiled as she saw some of the most intense eyes in Creation examine her. She offered him a piping hot cup of tea and gestured for him to sit at the small table across from her.

"Cecil, how have you been? You've been here a full week by now, yes? Tell me about Lozari."

"Muddy," Cecil offered, accepting the cup with a slight bow of his head. His voice was as nondescript as the rest of him. "Politically, not just the thaw. The Realm and others are moving in, and it's putting the locals on edge. Good timing though, with the festival today. Should be an opportunity to make friends."

Letti nodded. Cecil passed a sealed envelope across the table, containing a several page report on what he'd seen and heard since he'd arrived and stood to leave.

"Cecil, it's time to return to my entourage. I'll need your business acumen more than your eyes for a while."

He smiled a little at that, bowed his head, and left the room. Letti sat back, broke the seal on the letters and acquainted herself with the town. Dinner could wait until she was ready.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 21, 2015

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Beneficent Owl

When he finally noticed the severely concussed assistant stumbling towards the inn, Owl inwardly curses. How could he have missed something so obvious? Sighing, he takes out a small contraption made of mirrors and lenses, using it to focus the dim light inside into the man's disturbingly unfocused eyes. Then, a quick acupressure routine to reduce the swelling and a few blankets to keep him warm. Perhaps a bit of overcompensation, a tiny nudge towards a speedy recovery, in a sort of unspoken apology for not noticing sooner.

He sips the ale proffered by the Fire Aspect, mulling over the question for a moment. "I hope so. It was chaotic in there, and out; to be honest I was mostly just following the screams. I'm not really used to all this...excitement." He shifts in his chair uncomfortably, as if he was not expecting to have shared that much.

Owl tenses slightly as he sees young Revya touch another man's weapon, as if he could make up for his earlier obliviousness by worrying about what hadn't even happened yet. Another calming breath, and he forces himself to scan the room impassively, seeing if there was anyone else who needed help.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Yu Tan Harakino, at your service," she says to the doctor, extending her arm towards him to clasp wrists. "Depending on what you need, of course. I think you can relax, this fellow looks to have been the last of the seriously hurt."

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

Had he such skills, Reyva might have felt delicate contours on the barrel that evoked the way heat distorted air. Had he magical sensitivities, he might have felt the faint hum of carefully inscribed prayers along the inner surfaces. What he might surely feel would be an urge for righteousness, a barely contained fire, a piece of something primal and old and hot and hungry.

Those nearby might have just noticed a small tongue of flame rising from the barrel before winking out into nothing.

Bright Spark patted it and smiled, ever so slightly nervous at having his cover blown. Why is it always Fire Aspects!? he thought to himself. "Beautiful, isn't it? Heart of purest red jade, sheathed in the shiny stuff to keep from it from melting down. Accumulates stuff like firedust, even this far north! You've a good eye for relics, looking for wonders of your own?"

He waited for a response and began working on a large haunch of meat, all while his eyes carefully gauged the Dynast's mood. Bright Spark was trying to toe a line somewhere between "wary but respectful meeting between equals" and "I respect your obvious lineage, but this is my neighborhood."

"Bright Spark, of the Mammoth tribe, of Estuuya, you say Icewalker," he finished, and gauged the response very carefully.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Inn - Upstairs

The report contained mostly what one would expect for a conflict between the Realm and a backwater town, with discontent about the mines and enforced labor policies, but there were some unusual details. Children had been going missing for some time now. Spirits had also been vanishing, though there was surprisingly little information about that; Cecil speculated that it was to avoid upsetting people before the festival. What was common knowledge, though, and rather important for her to note, was that Lozari welcomed Anathema - to the point where they despised that term, and made it known behind soldiers' backs. No wonder there was strife.

Lozari's chief was a man named Rajim; but most of the town went first to Severa, one of several Outcastes in the area, for urgent matters. She was well-respected despite her remarkably (emphasized with harder pen presses) uncouth demeanor. General Cathak Everai lead the Realm troops, with a small detachment of Immaculate monks. There was no mention of anyone who fit the bandit leader's description - which was curious, considering he had his own followers.

There were some other names, but a quick skim showed nothing standout for the moment; after all, there was a party to get to.

Inn - Common room

The young man - or boy; it was hard to say - didn't react much to Owl's ministrations, but he did settle into the blankets with evident relief. In the process, Owl noticed some scars, barely hidden by his clothes. They were old; he couldn't easily tell what had caused them without further examination, and this was hardly the time.

The boy reached into his pocket for something, and blinked in confusion when he felt coins. He glanced between Hara and Owl, the only people close enough to have done it, and looked like he might say something; but then he just sighed and closed his eyes.

Things were settling down when the door slammed open and Severa stormed in. She stopped on the threshold, scanned the room, snorted when she didn't see her half-brother and stalked to Finn's table ahead of Daina. Finn, for his part, shrank down into his chair. He looked at Daina pleadingly: She hadn't told Severa that he'd told her that Liandre was related to her, had she?

But Severa just yanked out a chair, paused, left to the bar to grab a drink, came back and dropped into the chair with a grunt. She ignored the odd looks her entrance had earned from locals and travelers alike. "When I get my hands around his drat throat..."

It took a few seconds for her to remember something. She sat up, looked around, and pointed at the corner. "Hey, you-" She snapped her fingers.

"Shain," Finn muttered.

"Shain! Quit moping and get over here. You find anything?" She turned back to Daina and Finn while he made up his mind and lowered her voice. "Another kid disappeared," she said. "That's what I sent Finn after you for, before this mess. Hopefully Shain's made himself more useful than the Inquisition or..." She grimaced. "Liandre."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tepet Letti - PE: 2/16 | PPE: 35/35 | WP: 5/5 | Limit 0/10

Most of what Reyva sensed from Spark's weapon was how badass it was. He hadn't seen anything like it before at home on the Blessed Isle, it was entirely new. His trip so far hadn't shown him much he considered interesting, since it'd mostly been the same people walking and riding in the same direction with very little time to stop or take in the sights along the way. Now that they'd finally got here, (here being a tiny dot on a map farther north than anyone should ever want to go,) he wanted to check things out.

"I'm Reyva of house Tepet," the young man said proudly. He sat down and tucked into the plate that was placed in front of him by a very busy waitress. He hadn't even ordered anything, so that was a bit of a surprise, but the meat looked good and it tasted even better so he had no complaints. "Oh, well-" he said between bites, "-my twinswords are red jade, yeah, but I don't usually bring them to dinner with me." He laughed a little bit, for once not trying to be rude. "They don't take up a whole place at table though, haha!"

Spark's careful manner was entirely lost on Reyva. He just wanted to have a bit of fun before his Aunt showed up and made him sit straight and keep his elbows off the table. When the waitress came by again and dropped a mug of mead in front of him his eyes lit right up.

====

Letti nodded to herself as she tucked Cecil's missive away in her things. Arranging a meeting with Cathak Everai was probably the most prudent first course of action, it could be taken as a slight if she spoke to the locals first, and it was always wise to stay on good terms with the men who carried the biggest swords. She headed downstairs, intending to do exactly that, when the woman matching Cecil's description of Severa burst through the inn doors.

Prudence was good, but opportunity was better.

She did wait for the woman to settle in with her drink before approaching. "Excuse me, I'm sorry-" she nodded to Daina graciously. "Is something wrong? Miss Daina did us a good turn protecting the train earlier today. I would like to repay the debt if there is anything you need. My name is Tepet Letti."

Mastery of Small Manners for 5m, immune to cultural faux pas and some intimacy bonuses if needed.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Daina Giedre
Pers: 5/16; Peri: 33/40; Wp: 5/5

Daina didn't immidiately sit down, but she gave Finn a smile and patted him on the shoulder. No, she didn't mention that he told her about Liandre. Really, how Daina learned of their relationship wasn't as important as the fact that Liandre was around again. "They're half-siblings." Was all Daina said, before reaching through the kitchen door to grab an apron and a pitcher to start refilling drinks.

"Lately, children have been vanishing from the town. At first I thought it was the work of ghosts, but more children have been disappearing lately, so something else is at play." Daina said with a grimmace, lingering at the table a bit before moving on to another table. Although she was helping other customers, it was clear by the way she kept glancing over that she was still focused on the conversation with Severa, and would probably pop in if she had something to add.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

Bright Spark relaxed, grinned, and drank his mead.

“It’s just my way!” he replied, “Always on the go, always on the move. If I leave it somewhere, maybe I won’t have time to go back if a storm rolls in, or trouble is on the move. It’s a part of me now: I keep it close and it speaks to me. When I need more than words, it does the speaking.”

“Lozari is a cold place, but there are others colder, more distant. You should be fine. And there’s good work to be done, you’ll see,” and then Bright Spark leaned in, conspiratorially. “That man from earlier? He makes assumptions, says his way is best. Even if he has power and a good point, that makes people bristle. Some people here, maybe not too sure if they like the Realm garrison. Same reason. You could change that, maybe, make a lot of people happy.”

Can insert a socialize roll or something in here if need be, to get the measure of this young man.

Something from a conversation across the room caught his ear. He wiped his mouth and picked up his drink, leaving an astonishingly empty plate behind.

"Shain came running when I called for help! Everything stayed friendly, but it was good he came, I think. Mud, bandits, ghosts, or spirits, if you have problems, Mammoth tribe happy to help," he said once he'd approached Severa's table.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Hey, Severa." Shain said, raising his now empty mug with a smile. "Fancy meeting you here. I thought you were too busy yelling at people to get things on time to go out drinking." The words were blunt, but carried only humour, not malice. "Spark's right. I did some digging, but the hauler mess meant I couldn't make as much headway as I would've liked. I'm gonna go ask some questions to the Rose cultists tomorrow. Maybe they know something we don't about these disappearances. Think you can keep the whip in check until I come back?"

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Beneficent Owl

Owl relaxes perceptibly at that--he would still make a check before retiring for the night, but it at least gave him enough breathing room to figure out what was going on. "Beneficent Owl, and likewise, especially if you or yours get hurt. And I don't think I've properly thanked you yet for helping out with the hauler--I never could have gotten her moving without you." He pauses and contemplates for a moment before continuing. "I don't suppose you know what's happening with all..." Owl gestures to the slowly growing band of seemingly locals conspiring near the center of the common room "...that, and the bandits? I'm afraid I must have been a touch distracted with my patient, but tensions seem to be rather high. Any thoughts?"

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"It seems to me," says Hara somewhat quietly, "that there is some unhappiness with recent attempts to impose foreign influence over the area. It sounds like there is going to be a meeting right here in a bit, so maybe we'll learn a bit more. My people've been dealing with those ARR-EEE-AY-ELL-EMM types for quite a while now, so I've got some sympathy for the locals."

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Inn

Severa's mouth twitched on hearing the name Tepet, but she just waved for Letti to take a seat and drained some more of her glass while Daina explained and others showed up. She smirked wryly at Shain - "Can't yell with a dry throat, can I?" - before getting back to business. She set her nearly-empty drink down and propped her elbows on the table with a sigh. "That'll all depend on what the idiot has to say for himself before I slam his face in. Injuring a hauler, for all gods-damned sakes..."

She brushed hair out of her face with a sigh, showing a streak of mud. "Sorry," she said unconvincingly. "Long day and with all this mess I don't think the festival's going to be able to officially start until tomorrow. If anyone can look into the missing kids, we'd all be thankful."

She turned to Shain next. "We've asked before. Not that they said much. Maybe you'd have better luck." She smiled grimly. "Or persuasiveness."

While Daina waited tables, she noticed a faint chill in the air - odd, since the fire was going strong. The next time she looked to the windows, she saw that the cause was a Sylph, her form ever-shifting, more of an airy impression than a solid image. Daina recognized Skylark from the hot springs; she tended the area, made sure everyone was comfortable. She was a peaceful sort. Now, though it was hard to make out a Sylph's face, she appeared to be studying the room for threats. She hadn't feared people seeing her before.

Though that was before the Realm settled in, and Daina hadn't had time to visit in a while...

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

There was a consideration, and a nod to Severa.

"I don't like the sound of that. If children are going missing, someone is killing the future." Bright Spark said, looking distant for a moment. Then he looked at Shain and his interesting weaponry.

"You are Shain, I am Bright Spark Mammoth," he said, as he looked the other man up and down. Bright Spark had heard his story, at least some of it, but this was their first time really getting acquainted. "If something strange is out there, I can find it. How about we help one another?"

His eyes also drifted over to where Reyva was sitting. "We all need to work together, I think. Since none of us working alone has solved the problem yet."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Before answering Spark's offer, Shain took a moment to size him up. He'd never met him before, but word couldn't help but spread when a man with a cannon came to town. He was a demolitionist, a member of the Mammoth tribe and its representative in the region. As he looked into his eyes, he felt a sense of kinship with him. He was another man of the gun, and just as devoted to his people as he'd been once upon a time. If the Crystal Tyrant had not been ousted, would he have sent him to Lozari to assess the situation as well? It was pointless to think about such an impossible dream, and yet he couldn't help but wonder. Spark seemed...happy.

No, not happy. Alive. He was living his life and living it fully, knowing that he was in his rightful place and doing his best to help his tribe. How could a man like him harbour any regrets? Knowing that you were needed and valued, doing what you were born for...it was all that any man could ask for. It was something he'd been given, and then had carelessly lost.

Slowly, Shain nodded. Spark was a good man. He could trust him. "Ain't no one else alive I'd rather have watching my back." He answered, simply. Keeping his eyes on Spark, he extended his hand. "Shake on it to seal the deal, partner?"

Transient People fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 25, 2015

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"You're on," says Hara as she slides her hand into Shain's before Bright Spark can react. "The doctor and I are coming along too." The Fire Aspect points cheerfully in the direction of Owl, recently left blinking in the wake of a quick, "Hold on, I've got an idea."

"There's no better way to prove one's good intentions when you arrive in a new place than rescuing some lost children," she declares. "I guess maybe curing the people in charge of lung-rot, but that's beyond me. What I can do is persuade the skin off an armadillo if need be. And I heard you say some 'persuading' might be needed." She winks at Severa.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

For a moment, Shain stood there silently, surprised by the woman's brazenness. Then, a broad grin spread across his face and he laughed, putting a hand on her shoulder. "If making a good impression gets some kids back to their families, I don't see why I should say no to letting you tag along. My name's Shain. And you two are...?"

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Yu Tan Harakino, and he's Beneficent Owl. Since we're going to be partners, you can call me Hara and him Owl. Beneficent takes too long."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"He must've had spiteful parents." Shain said, nodding enthusiastically, even as he kept his expression good-natured. "How about you, miss?" He asked, turning towards the lady who'd so properly approached Severa, before his antics had distracted her. "Am I wrong for hoping someone of such high standing is up for helping the less fortunate?" He asked, gesturing for her to sit with the rest of them. "You know, this is a busy night like I haven't seen in a while. What brought you all here? We don't usually see so many people come in with the hauler."

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

"Ahhh, this is so great! Nothing is going to stop us now, Princes, Princesses, and Heroes all!" He said, now inserting himself between Harakino and Shain just has Harakino had inserted herself earlier. He gently spun Shain to face him and embraced him in a short hug, very much invading the other man's personal space as he gently pressed his forehead to the other man's. There was hardly a second to recover before Spark had turned around, introduced himself, and made to do the same to Harakino.

"We will need to learn more of each other, so we know strengths, know how to help one another, but this is a start!"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Letti stepped back just one step, staying within the group but outside of hugging range. She was an outsider here still, and being overly friendly could be misunderstood- she didn't want to weaken anyone's position in what was already a volatile situation. She did laugh when Hara voiced what she'd been thinking, that rescuing children was indeed a quick way into people's hearts.

"If you need someone to speak- or perhaps lean a bit- on the garrison I'll do my best," she said to Severa, giving a gentle nod of her head. "Missing children is a serious matter... especially when it seems the local spirits are on edge."

It was not lost on her that Severa seemed to know Liandre, though she didn't press that for now. The fact that Liandre hadn't been in Cecil's report was telling, the man must not come to town very often.

When Shain addressed her she smiled broadly and spread her hands. "Only a peaceful mission of trade, sir. When a town grows quickly, there is plenty of coin to be made in supplying her with all the dry goods and equipment she needs. And I have every reason to believe this one is about to experience unprecedented growth indeed! But yes, I do have some small martial skill of my own and my NEPHEW and I- this is his first time away from home you know- would be HAPPY to HELP."

She turned her head, announcing the last little bit quite loudly. Reyva didn't turn his head, but his shoulders flinched and he started shoving the rest of his dinner in his mouth as fast as he could.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Beneficent Owl

Owl makes to say something, then stops himself. Honestly, he couldn't even be surprised by Hara; in retrospect, this was inevitable from the moment the Fire Aspect had offered him a drink. Nothing to it now but to move forwards. "Ah, just to be clear, does anyone in charge have lung-rot?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Easy there, Spark. I only got one set of ribs, you know?" Shain said, joking as Spark accepted his offer in a way that better fit his customs. He took it in stride, accepting it graciously. It was good to have some people he could work with again. It'd been a long, long time since it last had happened...

Shain acquires a Minor Tie for Spark, representing a sense of kinship. Social Link Go!

The Owl's question got another chuckle out of him, as he shook his head. "We've all got our little pains and aches, but I don't think anybody's been so unlucky. Lozari's lot is a little better than that," he said.

"So that kid's your nephew, then?" Shain said, turning to look at Letti and then Reyva in turn. "I can see it. Mind if I ask his name? I don't think he's gonna appreciate it if I spend the week calling him 'Hey You' or 'Kid', you know. Tyrant knows I wouldn't have taken that sort of guff when I was his age."

Transient People fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 25, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Daina Giedre
Pers: 5/16; Peri: 33->32/40; Wp: 5/5

Daina looked at the sylph curiously, then around the rest of the inn. No one else had noticed Skylark, only herself. That was interesting, but she couldn't do anything about it right away. In the mean time it seems like the travelers from the train were settling in nicely, and she couldn't help but smile as she listened in on their conversation. It looked like many of them would be of great help, including the Tepet who spoke to her earlier. But her nephew on the other hand...well, he just didn't get how family worked!

"Really?" Daina said, fake gasping at Reyva. "You'll help us find the children? Oh thank you!" She said, suddenly giving him a hug, just to embarrass him more. "Oh, I've been so worried about them, we need all the help we can get. "Oh here, let me get you some more to drink!"

(Would have used this to instill a helping intimacy on him but he has no stats. Alas, there are other ways to get Daina's shoujo harem going.)

As Daina ducked into the kitchen, she made a subtle gesture to the sylph when no one else was looking. "Come over here, we can talk in private,"

(Activating Poetic Expression Style to say that without words. Also for documentation, I spent my 2 SBP bumping Socialize to 5.)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Hara hugs Spark with a speed and force that drives the air from the slightly taller man's lungs with a whoosh. Their foreheads meet with an audible clunk; it's clearly not a deliberate headbutt, but the impact leaves nearby patrons wincing and making mental notes to avoid Hara's actual headbutt.

The Northerner can feel the tell-tale flexible hardness of fine mail beneath Hara's new clothes. It's also clear that while she may be shorter, the Fire Aspect outweighs him by a good amount, almost all of it muscle and bone.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bright Spark Mammoth

A slightly dizzy and punchdrunk Bright Spark Mammoth grinned wide, crooked teeth and all, and was excited at what the future held.

The present held one thing for certain: more mead!

And more greetings. Shain and Harakino seemed like good people, but Letti and Owl had hung back. Maybe they'd just take time to warm up, so that was alright.

"Beneficent Owl, eh? I see what you did for that hauler. Very good work, very clean and good. And very fast." he said the last sotto voice, tapped his temple with one hand, and took a long pull of mead. "I respect that. Healers are always needed, and Healers never want for friends."

Building minor intimacies towards Shain and Harakino, since they are both clearly Heroes and Good People.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Inn

"Why does everything have to be a production with you clowns?" Severa asked flatly, crouched defensively over her drink lest she end up a casualty of male bonding (and Hara). She smiled at Daina's antics, though, and straightened when the coast seemed clear. "Good to see enthusiasm, though. I can brief you after this mess is over, don't want to be in the middle of it when moron shows up."

Skylark turned her head toward Daina. The wind that made her form tensed in a little eddie of hesitation; then she shook her head, and flitted out of the window. A moment later she was back, and pointed at the door.

Liandre entered. He had put a clean light gray coat over his travel clothes, though underneath it, his pant legs and boots were still muddy from the road. The coat was decorated in light blue embroidery, waving lines echoing wind currents - something that a noble would wear, not some backwoods farmer. He strode to the table without heed for the mix of accusing and anxious stares he earned, or the odd looks given to the rock hound that followed him.

If there were more spirits with him besides Skylark and Gravel, they hadn't come inside. Skylark flitted to Daina's shoulder, the somewhat-cold air brushing her ear the only material sign of her presence. "You should talk to him first, I think," she said. "He knows more."

Liandre stopped behind Severa's chair and leaned on the back. She waved him off. "Personal space." When he smiled slightly and opened his mouth, she pressed a hand to her temple and held up the other warningly. "And if you 'dear sister' me I'm choking you with that damned coat."

He circled around to drop into the other chair. Seeing the two of them this close, the family resemblance was clearer - and so was how very...Realm Liandre looked, in his face and his bearing. He could have been a Dynast on vacation. Right down to the smile that seemed on the verge of becoming a sneer as he regarded those present.

"Now tell me what the hell you were doing, and make it fast, because I didn't have time to drink enough for this," Severa growled.

"Severa, you'll die of stress one of these days." Liandre lifted his head, scanning the table and then the room. "I thought I made my reasons clear." He sighed, spotted Daina, and motioned for her to join them with an elegant wave of his hand. With that gesture, the sound of the inn around them became muted; a light breeze ruffled their hair. "Now, first off, I know some of you bear sun-marks," he said, "and if that concerns the rest of you, we have nothing to discuss."

His words were mild, but he studied the three newcomers' reactions sharply. Severa's glance followed his despite herself.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Yup. That's a bandit alright." Shain's voice cut through the silence that followed Liandre, relaxed and jovial. "You know the ultimatums come at the end of a conversation, not at the beginning, right?" he was smiling, but his blue eyes carried in them a soft admonishment. He was not about to press the issue, but he was certainly not impressed by Liandre's attempts to establish himself as the leader of the conversation. Too rude, too dominant, too obvious.

"So we've got...what's that name the Realm likes to use...Anathema among us, is that it?" He asked, glancing at the Dynasts present. "Can't say I'm surprised. Lozari's doors are open to everybody, whether they're emissaries, merchants, or people trying to get away from the eye of the Realm. You gonna name any names here, or is that just your way of asking the sun's men to introduce themselves?"

Truth be told, Shain was in no hurry to chase this lead. He had no particular business with the Solars just because light came out of their asses, and he would not allow anybody to reduce him to simply being one of them. All that he'd achieved, had been the fruit of his own efforts, and Holly's. That golden glow that had enveloped him after defeating the only real Lawgiver he'd ever known had been nothing but a mockery, a sense of limitless possibility and potential realized only after all his hopes for the future had already been dashed. Let the region know him as the Seven Colour Gunner. It was better to be defined by the things he'd done than some meaningless gift he had been given. But he knew that not everybody else thought the same way...

"Who will be the first to out themselves?" he wondered, as he leaned back and crossed his arms. The tension was mounting. Somebody would soon crack under it, of this he was sure.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 31, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Daina Giedre
Pers: 5/16; Peri: 32->31/40; Wp: 5/5

Without hesitating, the golden sphere of the Zenith Caste appears on Daina's forehead.

"The people of this town already know that I was blessed by the Sun. Get to your point, Liandre." She says impatiently.

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
Beneficent Owl

The doctor's face blanches slightly at Liandre's...accusation? There's no way that wasn't talking about him; he had heard the murmurings about his healing of the hauler. Owl couldn't even feel bad about it, though--was he supposed to just let the beast die in a hole?

But something about Liandre's last line was intriguing; something about it seemed surprisingly--

Oh.

His posture straightens almost imperceptibly at seeing another caste mark. If she has been active in the village for some time...

"As confrontational as all that has sounded...I have been trying to understand why you would try to ferret out who else is Anathema. Not to call the Hunt, or else it would have already appeared. The only reason I can make sense of is that being out in the open would allow the sun-touched to stop skulking around and make more of an impact." He gives a somewhat worried glance at Hara, whose nature is rather obvious by personality alone, before letting his own half-sun show. "Though I worry about all the visitors and fortune-hunters entering the village, for at least the people in this room...this is who I am."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Letti waited for the others to finish before addressing Liandre directly. "If the presence of Anathema- no, of the Solars, in Lozari was an issue for me and mine, I would not have come here. But as you are undoubtedly aware, House Tepet has suffered some recent setbacks and we no longer have the luxury of ignoring good business opportunities for religious reasons." She pointed to the mons on his collar. "I am no Immaculate monk, just as you are no bandit, V'neef. But if you decide to play the role again, then you should expect to be treated as one."

She had no intention of revealing her own Caste mark. It would only weaken her position, there was nothing to be gained by it. She was not ashamed of what she had become but she was all too aware of how the knowledge could be used against her. She would be cast out of her House at the very least, and they needed her too much for her to allow that.

Reyva, meanwhile, had vanished from the tavern-room when Liandre appeared, and was only just coming down the stairs, hands on his sword-hilts...

• Locked thread