Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

McGwee posted:

Isn't Enoch the name of another important biblical character? I'm not that sure but it does sound familiar.

I was always interested in this game but never got a chance to play it, so I'm looking forward to this.

Enouch is important to a lot of apocrypha for the fact that his appearance is basically a description of how long he lived, then 'And Enoch walked with God, and was no more, because God took him.' Tradition then holds he was one of the few people not to actually die, but to be assumed up into Heaven alive. This leads to an apocryphal book (the Book of the Watchers/The Book of the Parables of Enoch) about Enoch being brought into Heaven and told about the Watchers, the rebellious angels who lay with the daughters of man and produced the giants mentioned during the beginning of Noah's story (which lead God to flood the earth). This game is basically a stylized retelling of the Book of the Watchers and is surprisingly well thought out if I remember right. Like, Japanese takes on Western religion (much like Western takes on Eastern religions) are usually heavy on appropriating cool symbolism but not too heavy on the meaning/accuracy to the myths. And then they make a game about an obscure apocrypha (well, it's canon to some sects of Ethiopian Christianity) written by guys worried the world was fundamentally disordered during the 2nd Temple Period and while there's a ton of artistic license, it's pretty clear they actually know the base story and are adapting it to their plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RealSovietBear posted:

That was my impression as well. Despite some of the really weird moments later in the game, it's obvious the developers did their homework.

I got no beef at all with artistic license when it's clear it's coming from a place of building on the mythology they're working with, which is the impression I get here. It's just baffling to me that among the thousands of 'secret catholic blood cult vampire hunter X' animes and stuff, something based on such an obscure part of biblical apocrypha gives the impression of actually knowing anything about what it's based on.

• Locked thread