Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

benisntfunny posted:

No. They take up space like a regular song.

There are also only like 30 million songs on the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual
I think he means is there a limit to the amount of songs allowed to be saved on the phone at one time, space allowing. Spotify has a seemingly arbitrary limit of 3,333 songs you can have downloaded from them at one time.

Also, I still can't get any playlists or albums to actually show up in my music when I plus the "+" button. A check shows up and says "my music" but the album never actually appears in my music.

roofus619 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

roofus619 posted:

Also, I still can't get any playlists or albums to actually show up in my music when I plus the "+" button. A check shows up and says "my music" but the album never actually appears in my music.
This was happening for me at first. After a while it just started working.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
Does anybody have an old Beats account lying around which I can use for a few minutes to import my zillion spotify playlists?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I created a playlist and then added songs to it in iTunes, but they aren't showing up on my phone. The playlist is there but it's empty.

I added other songs to a different playlist earlier, and they are there. Anything I have to do to "push" the info down or anything? I can't find like a "refresh" or anything like that.

Anyone else see this?

EDIT: Oh gently caress me, I figured it out. I had "only show offline" checked off in the "my music" section. That playlist wasn't marked as "allow offline" yet. Once I unchecked the box music started showing up in my library, and then once I set that playlist to available offline everything immediately populated.

Leaving this post here in case anyone sees the same issue!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

metavisual posted:

EDIT: Oh gently caress me, I figured it out. I had "only show offline" checked off in the "my music" section. That playlist wasn't marked as "allow offline" yet. Once I unchecked the box music started showing up in my library, and then once I set that playlist to available offline everything immediately populated.

Leaving this post here in case anyone sees the same issue!

I have the same issue. However I cannot find those switches you're referring to. Are those in iTunes or in the iOS music app?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have the same issue. However I cannot find those switches you're referring to. Are those in iTunes or in the iOS music app?

On your iOS device, go to My Music => Playlists => click on "All Playlists" (It doesn't look clickable, but it is) => switch is there.

metavisual fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 1, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah Apple Music is pretty slick, I finally got it to work last night with adding stuff that isn't available for streaming--just took a while since the servers were being hammered. You literally just add it to iTunes, click "add to apple music" and after a while it's on all your devices.

The only downside is it took a really long time for the music to appear on my phone once it was uploaded, but again that could have been just the servers getting hammered. I hope so, though, because it took about 30 minutes which obviously makes it less convenient than just syncing the music onto your phone.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

On iTunes no my Mac the music that I've added from Apple Music to "My Music" is greyed out and unplayable, yet I can play tracks from Apple Music that I haven't added to "My Music." Any thoughts on how I can fix that?

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
The first and last tracks of Led Zeppelin II, which I had ripped from the first release Atlantic CDs, were cloud matched to covers by Dread Zeppelin. I also have several top 40 oldies that were matched to live versions. Some of those are not available on Apple Music but they are all for sale on iTunes. I've tried deleting and re-adding to no avail.

What criteria does cloud match look for? Just the data or is it looking at file names, MP3 fields, song length, etc? I'm presuming Apple Music availability is not a factor because my Beatles songs (also ripped from first release CDs) were matched just fine.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

metavisual posted:

On your iOS device, go to My Music => Playlists => click on "All Playlists" (It doesn't look clickable, but it is) => switch is there.

Ah, found it, thank you. Man, that switch wording is slightly obtuse. I had actually found it last night and turned it on... meaning I don't see music added in iTunes in my playlists. I had assumed from my cursory glance that it would work the opposite way. That it was an opt-in switch, not an opt-out.

NOW my gym playlist is populated!

geera
May 20, 2003

metavisual posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why none of the albums I was adding to My Music would show up, and why the playlists I added were empty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I still can't figure out what the difference between "add to my music" and the love button. And why the hell is the love button on the swipe-up control panel, but not the + button to add to my music?

This is pretty cool, but some of the UI design choices are kind of mind-boggling.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think the add button is to put it in your library and the heart button tags it as a song you like for the purposes of figuring out poo poo you like algorithms and recommended playlists.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I still can't figure out what the difference between "add to my music" and the love button. And why the hell is the love button on the swipe-up control panel, but not the + button to add to my music?

This is pretty cool, but some of the UI design choices are kind of mind-boggling.

It's funny because a common complaint re: Spotify was the UX, but as far as I can tell outside of their stupid welcome screen, the actual design decisions are way better in Spotify's app than the new Apple Music.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I get the feeling that Apple Music will be a great 3-month advertisement for me to start using Spotify's free service once I find a few good regularly updated playlists of the genres I like.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

gret posted:

On iTunes no my Mac the music that I've added from Apple Music to "My Music" is greyed out and unplayable, yet I can play tracks from Apple Music that I haven't added to "My Music." Any thoughts on how I can fix that?

This was happening to me too, go into preferences and turn off Apple Music and iCloud Music Library, then click OK. Wait until the stuff you added disappears and then go back in and turn everything back on. It should re-add everything properly after that.

If anyone is looking to get suggested related artists: On the iPhone/iPad App, go into an artist and tap on the artist name, it will give you a list of related artists and a brief bio of them as well.

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 1, 2015

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Snuffman posted:

I'm still using Apple Music and syncing my music on my iPhone with my PC.

iTunes Match made a mess of my meticulously curated music, so I just avoided the iCloud stuff and left that off. You can still pull albums from Apple Music that catch your ear, but it won't sync across with your at-home library, if that makes any sense.

Glad to hear it - I think I'll give the music trial a shot today. Anecdotally (at least based on some Macrumors forum posts), it seems like disabling iCloud music library also fixes the album art mismatches others have been having. One other decent tip I picked up is that you can disable the useless 'Connect' section of the Music app by turning it off in the 'Restrictions' menu in settings.

So far, my biggest gripe with the design of the 8.4 music app is that the decision to overlay the status bar onto the album art was poorly thought out, as not only does it take away from the artwork, it frequently make the status bar items unreadable.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Chortle posted:

This was happening to me too, go into preferences and turn off Apple Music and iCloud Music Library, then click OK. Wait until the stuff you added disappears and then go back in and turn everything back on. It should re-add everything properly after that.

If anyone is looking to get suggested related artists: On the iPhone/iPad App, go into an artist and tap on the artist name, it will give you a list of related artists and a brief bio of them as well.

This is really cool! Weird that they'd hide it under a non-obvious place to tap.

And then those similar artist bubbles aren't tap able to jump to their page. :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the add button is to put it in your library and the heart button tags it as a song you like for the purposes of figuring out poo poo you like algorithms and recommended playlists.

I guess I just don't understand why music in my library isn't poo poo I like for the purposes of figuring out other poo poo I'd like.

Also, did the 5-star rating system disappear from the app? I used to be able to tap an album cover during playback and rate a song. I have a ton of playlists created using the ratings...

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
So, what's the best way to find a radio station for a more obscure genre of music? I want to listen to a mixture of power metal, but my only options are metal or classic metal. Navigating to a band of said genre and clicking 'new station from artist' does nothing. Am I missing something?

(Yes, I like power metal.. please don't judge me!)

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I guess I just don't understand why music in my library isn't poo poo I like for the purposes of figuring out other poo poo I'd like.

Also, did the 5-star rating system disappear from the app? I used to be able to tap an album cover during playback and rate a song. I have a ton of playlists created using the ratings...

Tap on the song title above the music controls and it'll change to the star rating.

Just went through iTunes 12.2, you can sort your songs by if they're hearted or not

Question Mark Mound posted:

This is really cool! Weird that they'd hide it under a non-obvious place to tap.

And then those similar artist bubbles aren't tap able to jump to their page. :(

Yeah I didn't try it before I posted, that's real dumb :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stutes posted:

Glad to hear it - I think I'll give the music trial a shot today. Anecdotally (at least based on some Macrumors forum posts), it seems like disabling iCloud music library also fixes the album art mismatches others have been having. One other decent tip I picked up is that you can disable the useless 'Connect' section of the Music app by turning it off in the 'Restrictions' menu in settings.
I like the Connect section, actually. There's been some good playlists posted on mine, not to mention things like that NIN instrumental album.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I feel like this thread title should be changed to: Apple Music: LOCKED IN!

You would get alcohol poisoning and die if you made a drinking game of hearing the words "Locked in".

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chortle posted:

Tap on the song title above the music controls and it'll change to the star rating.

Ahhh ok they must have just moved it then.

Kind of weird that they don't' automatically add something to My Music if you rate it.

So if I want to rate it, put it in My Music, and also have it be able to suggest other music I like, I have to do like 6 taps per song. Lovely.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If people are interested, here is a prettier iTunes icon done by Sebastiaan de With: https://dribbble.com/shots/2129316-Muir-MUSIC?list=users&offset=0

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

I feel like this thread title should be changed to: Apple Music: LOCKED IN!

You would get alcohol poisoning and die if you made a drinking game of hearing the words "Locked in".

"WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON"

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I've been adding a song here or there (mostly from the Beats 1 radio) to My Music. Is there a way to easily go back and add the rest of that album?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ray_finkle_himself posted:

So, what's the best way to find a radio station for a more obscure genre of music? I want to listen to a mixture of power metal, but my only options are metal or classic metal. Navigating to a band of said genre and clicking 'new station from artist' does nothing. Am I missing something?

(Yes, I like power metal.. please don't judge me!)

I like Celtic punk music (don't judge me) and found a ShamROCK (heh.) radio station by searching specific bands. So yeah, search by band and scroll to the bottom.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

CoasterMaster posted:

I've been adding a song here or there (mostly from the Beats 1 radio) to My Music. Is there a way to easily go back and add the rest of that album?

In iTunes > My Music, goto Albums view and you should see a button that says 'Show Complete Album' under the song you added and another button will pop up after you hit that where you can add the rest of the album.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

CoasterMaster posted:

It's not obvious at least. That's a pretty big omission.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Chortle posted:

In iTunes > My Music, goto Albums view and you should see a button that says 'Show Complete Album' under the song you added and another button will pop up after you hit that where you can add the rest of the album.

Holy gently caress that is quite buried, but thanks!

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Stutes posted:

One other decent tip I picked up is that you can disable the useless 'Connect' section of the Music app by turning it off in the 'Restrictions' menu in settings.

Thank you for this. Not only does it remove a feature I don't want, but replaces the connect button at the bottom with a more useful playlists button instead.

Only real beef I'm having now is there seems to be no default option for song I add to my music to automatically be saved to my device - I know you can tell it on a per-song basis when you add it to My Music, but seriously gently caress that. I have figured out how to add playlists to my music, and make those playlists available offline. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So here's some weirdness with the music selection:

If you go to Heart, and go to any of their greatest hits albums, songs like Magic Man, Crazy On You, Heartless, etc. are all greyed out and unavailable. But if you go to the albums those songs were originally on, they're all available there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone know how to turn off all the Apple Music-related tabs on iTunes? I don't plan on using it right now, and I'd like to remove the clutter.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

CoasterMaster posted:

Holy gently caress that is quite buried, but thanks!

Looks like you can do it in the iPhone app as well. My Music > {Artist} > {Album} > 'Show Complete Album'

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheJoker138 posted:

So here's some weirdness with the music selection:

If you go to Heart, and go to any of their greatest hits albums, songs like Magic Man, Crazy On You, Heartless, etc. are all greyed out and unavailable. But if you go to the albums those songs were originally on, they're all available there.

I think there's still some weird server side poo poo going on. One of the recommended playlists for me has a song that's greyed out and unplayable. All the tracks were being streamed from Apple Music so it makes zero sense to block a song they suggested.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

From the perspective of international music, Apple Music seems strictly worse than Spotify, big time. That's disappointing considering it should be cheaper to get them up on streaming.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
How do I make iTunes search work the the GOOD WAY again? The old way. I know you can switch it back but I forget how.

Edit: Figured it out. Click the magnifying glass in the search box and uncheck "Search entire library."

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i'm gonna go ahead and say spotify premium is still the best service, especially considering the over-the-air control on PS4 and Amazon Fire Stick and that kind of thing

• Locked thread