Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

setafd posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and say spotify premium is still the best service, especially considering the over-the-air control on PS4 and Amazon Fire Stick and that kind of thing

I think I'm in the minority in having always hated how Spotify handles your "library." I don't like having playlists be my main way of interacting with my library. So I'm liking Apple Music way, way more than Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

setafd posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and say spotify premium is still the best service, especially considering the over-the-air control on PS4 and Amazon Fire Stick and that kind of thing

Yeah, those features are really huge draws for me. Especially the PS4 app.

But so far I'm liking Apple Music's interface, playlists, and OSX/iOS functionality better. Being able to add albums from Apple Music right into my iTunes library as if they were albums I bought is really cool.

I'm not sure which I'll stick with, yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

I think I'm in the minority in having always hated how Spotify handles your "library." I don't like having playlists be my main way of interacting with my library. So I'm liking Apple Music way, way more than Spotify.

Same. My only real gripe so far is the "My Music" and "For You" should be swapped on the icon bar in iOS. Even iTunes got it right, which is something I never thought I'd say.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
Is it just me or does the "Love" button seem redundant? If I add something to my library, presumably I like it and want iTunes make recommendations based on it. If I press "Love" presumably I'd like it added to my library so I can find it more easily later.

It really confused me earlier when I couldn't find a list of all the stuff I Loved. Seems like you can only search for your Loves if you also added them to your library. This is on PC iTunes anyway. Not sure if it's different on iOS or OS X.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Supgaiz posted:

Is it just me or does the "Love" button seem redundant? If I add something to my library, presumably I like it and want iTunes make recommendations based on it. If I press "Love" presumably I'd like it added to my library so I can find it more easily later.

It really confused me earlier when I couldn't find a list of all the stuff I Loved. Seems like you can only search for your Loves if you also added them to your library. This is on PC iTunes anyway. Not sure if it's different on iOS or OS X.

Love is only around for them to aggregate data on your favorite songs and make their recommendations better.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

TheJoker138 posted:

Love is only around for them to aggregate data on your favorite songs and make their recommendations better.

The dude understands that but makes a good point. It is a redundant button/feature, since recommends could just be based off of the library. Apple just added the "love" button because other music services have some implementation of it and it sounds good to project managers to have something like it. And, unlike before, Apple seems to be about adding dumb poo poo to their software because their competitors have it instead of making it sparse and functional like what it used to be or what it should be, which is not an uncommon contemporary observation. I think the love button is a good example of that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

The dude understands that but makes a good point. It is a redundant button/feature, since recommends could just be based off of the library. Apple just added the "love" button because other music services have some implementation of it. And, unlike before, Apple seems to be about adding dumb poo poo to their software because their competitors have it instead of making it sparse and functional like what it used to be or what it should be. I think the love button is a good example of that.

I have a bunch of poo poo in my library I don't like all that much, but just added cause why not. That's going to do nothing but get worse now that I can add basically anything at any time. Just because he adds only stuff he really likes to his album doesn't mean everyone does it that way. I have several albums that I only like a handful of songs from, and I wouldn't want it using the songs I don't like as data for things I'm super into.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheJoker138 posted:

The weird thing is, the place the heart makes the most sense is when you create a radio station (including songs you may not have in your library) but in that case the heart changes back to the old star.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

gently caress Apple Music.

The tabs consist of 1-poorly curated "for me" poo poo that I don't want to listen to 2-"new" tracks with Taylor loving Swift featured at the top jesus christ go gently caress yourselves 3-Beats lol loving Radio 1 which I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen to 4-Connect hahahahahahaha 5-My Music

Even when there's something I find that I want to listen to, I can't add it to My Music. It just shows a check mark and then turns back into a +. The only thing I could care about is broken.

I never thought Spotify was a good idea because I still just add music to my phone manually, but I might pay for it just to voice how much I dislike Apple Music.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I just find a curated playist and hit shuffle. Spotify is awesome at this. iTunes and Apple Music feel very bloated now. Glad I have a 3 month trial to figure out if it'll be worth switching.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Please do not say mean things about Taylor Swift.

Thanks ♥

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
By the way if you guys didn't know, Spotify offers a $5/mo rate for "students." I believe all you need is a .edu email but I could be wrong.

https://www.spotify.com/us/student/

For that reason I'll probably be going with Spotify instead of Apple or Google.

Although from the terms, in nice and neat legalese, it seems like it's only for a maximum of 3 years. https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/student-discount-terms-and-conditions/

It looks like they verify student status with some company named SheerID. No idea what my status comes back as yet.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 1, 2015

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

The tabs consist of 1-poorly curated "for me" poo poo that I don't want to listen to 2-"new" tracks with Taylor loving Swift featured at the top jesus christ go gently caress yourselves 3-Beats lol loving Radio 1 which I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen to 4-Connect hahahahahahaha 5-My Music

Even when there's something I find that I want to listen to, I can't add it to My Music. It just shows a check mark and then turns back into a +. The only thing I could care about is broken.

I never thought Spotify was a good idea because I still just add music to my phone manually, but I might pay for it just to voice how much I dislike Apple Music.

I typed out a reply as to why I disagree with you, but then I erased it all...and decided, :boom: I'm just gonna shake shake shake... :boom:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Aside from the fact that I only like music like this:

I'm really curious to hear why anyone would find the UI acceptable. If you love lovely radio pop that Apple is stuffing into your earholes then there's not much to argue about. But the app itself is loving dog poo poo.

This page illustrates pretty well why the whole onboarding process is awful: http://www.useronboard.com/how-applemusic-onboards-new-users/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Michael Scott posted:

The dude understands that but makes a good point. It is a redundant button/feature, since recommends could just be based off of the library. Apple just added the "love" button because other music services have some implementation of it and it sounds good to project managers to have something like it. And, unlike before, Apple seems to be about adding dumb poo poo to their software because their competitors have it instead of making it sparse and functional like what it used to be or what it should be, which is not an uncommon contemporary observation. I think the love button is a good example of that.

I suspect there's a lot of people with hoarder libraries from their college/napster days where stuff in your library doesn't necessarily indicate your current tastes. I know for me all my tastes from the 90s were…regrettable, but I still have them.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

From the perspective of international music, Apple Music seems strictly worse than Spotify, big time. That's disappointing considering it should be cheaper to get them up on streaming.

Why would international music be cheaper? If anything it's probably even more complicated with music rights.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
No original thoughts here, but I canceled my Spotify Premium Family membership today after taking Apple Music for a test spin. While there are pros and cons to each, it is really too early to claim one over the other, but price-wise Apple knocks it out of the park with their family plan. I bet we will see Spotify change their price structure soon (see competition is good). Some random thoughts:

- I have always hated the Spotify app interface (it is just ugly), so this is an easy win for Apple here. Also I like everything in one app. Still it is a little cluttered for my taste, and needs some refinement.

- The iTunes requirement is a big negative. My work has blocked iTunes installs, but funny not Spotify app installs. Even Spotify allows listening from the web.

- The Spotify app on the PS4 is amazing, and while I will continue to use it for radio (you can do this without premium) I will miss having a premium account. I do have a couple of AppleTVs so I can steam Apple Music, just not on my PS4.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm really curious to hear why anyone would find the UI acceptable. If you love lovely radio pop that Apple is stuffing into your earholes then there's not much to argue about. But the app itself is loving dog poo poo.

This page illustrates pretty well why the whole onboarding process is awful: http://www.useronboard.com/how-applemusic-onboards-new-users/

Cool, don't use it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Spotify needs a redesign bad. So fugly.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

You are a beacon of individuality. Like flies seemingly stuck to the surface of a hot bulb, we can only bask in the glory of your light until it inevitably turns us to ash.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Is there a way to auto-sort my playlists?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

Is there a way to auto-sort my playlists?

I haven't figured out a way. The only thing I see is that songs are sorted by order they were added.
I've poked around in both the iOS app and iTunes, but I don't see any option.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Taylor Swift's 8-month old album is promoted in the new section because it's a hugely popular album that you can't get on other streaming music services, and there was a news involving her and apple music before the thing opened. It makes sense if you think about it for like, two seconds.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
1989 is one of the best albums of 2014 so

theres that too

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Devil Tesla posted:

Taylor Swift's 8-month old album is promoted in the new section because it's a hugely popular album that you can't get on other streaming music services, and there was a news involving her and apple music before the thing opened. It makes sense if you think about it for like, two seconds.

I didn't say that it doesn't make sense. I'm simply stating that it's abso-loving-lutely the last thing I want from a paid music service.

And regardless of music tastes, could someone please at least tell me why saving anything to "My Music" does actually nothing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It adds it to your library.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ShoogaSlim posted:

I didn't say that it doesn't make sense. I'm simply stating that it's abso-loving-lutely the last thing I want from a paid music service.

And regardless of music tastes, could someone please at least tell me why saving anything to "My Music" does actually nothing?
Make sure iCloud Music Library is turned on in Settings > Music; if that doesn't work just try waiting a couple hours. I had the same problem ("My Music" check mark reverting to a plus) and it just sorted itself out after a while.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

Your chief complaint is that you don't like the content they're surfacing on the UI, not the UI itself (and your issue with adding music is just the service being hammered). The link you provided basically said "it pops an iBooks dialog up, it doesn't immediately start at the 'you' tab, and some of the wording is poor" which are by no means damning complaints. I'm glad you're a unique snowflake and all, but you're expecting a service to cater to your very niche tastes. Go ahead and subscribe to Spotify, you'll be amazed at the library's lack of function and how impersonal the radio stations are.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

It adds it to your library.

That's what it's supposed to do. But it's not.

Minidust posted:

Make sure iButt Music Library is turned on in Settings > Music; if that doesn't work just try waiting a couple hours. I had the same problem ("My Music" check mark reverting to a plus) and it just sorted itself out after a while.

My settings are set to what they need to be. If I have to wait "hours" for one album to transfer over to My Music so I can listen to it when I lose service on the subway then what good is it?

sleepwalkers posted:

Your chief complaint is that you don't like the content they're surfacing on the UI, not the UI itself (and your issue with adding music is just the service being hammered). The link you provided basically said "it pops an iBooks dialog up, it doesn't immediately start at the 'you' tab, and some of the wording is poor" which are by no means damning complaints. I'm glad you're a unique snowflake and all, but you're expecting a service to cater to your very niche tastes. Go ahead and subscribe to Spotify, you'll be amazed at the library's lack of function and how impersonal the radio stations are.

No. The UI itself is also poo poo. Do you really need one whole tab to Beats music? Put it at the top of "new" or some poo poo to start listening to radio. It's just a radio station, right? What need is there for bells and whistles? The onboarding criticism is sound, I went through the process yesterday when it was released and I loving hated it. Tap these random bubbles and tell us what you like and don't like, having to press-and-hold all the genres and artists I don't like is a crap process.

In the last two months or so, I've been using Spotify for metal playlists and it's been working pretty well. I also occasionally queue up some "be productive at work" or "clear your inbox" type poo poo and they've been on point. I don't want to turn this into an Apple Music vs Spotify thing, but my complaints go far beyond the app's inability to cater to my esoteric tastes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone know where I can get 3 hour EDM remixes of Extraterrestrial Skolexomorphic Infestation?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Their Activity playlists also really suck compared to Songza.

Oh well, the ability to find an album, add it to my library, and play it right away kicks rear end and will probably save me like 20-30 bucks a month in music purchases. I was turned off completely by Spotify's UI and the separate music app thing, so I like having it all in one place more than anything else.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

lmao you have bad taste in music

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone know where I can get 3 hour EDM remixes of Extraterrestrial Skolexomorphic Infestation?

I am also really interested in this info tyia

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lmao you have bad taste in music

lol i know, right? let's trade playlists :3:

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Whatever happened to "The Sentence" that was in Beats?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

That's what it's supposed to do. But it's not.

My settings are set to what they need to be. If I have to wait "hours" for one album to transfer over to My Music so I can listen to it when I lose service on the subway then what good is it?

Adding a song to your library won't do that anyway, as it's a streaming service. Spotify doesn't do that either. And it's only taking hours for some people because it's the second day and server load is bad. I hate to break this to you, but the truth is you're just a whiny little bitch.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Breathe man.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Adding a song to your library won't do that anyway, as it's a streaming service. Spotify doesn't do that either. And it's only taking hours for some people because it's the second day and server load is bad. I hate to break this to you, but the truth is you're just a whiny little bitch.

There is a toggle in Spotify under Your Music -> Songs that makes every song added to your library available offline. Apple Music needs this too.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I just added Taylor Swift's "Red" album to my library via Apple Music and then downloaded it to my iPhone for offline playback :)

But now I'm gonna delete it because 16gb is not enough space to store music locally.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

nickutz posted:

There is a toggle in Spotify under Your Music -> Songs that makes every song added to your library available offline. Apple Music needs this too.

Agreed, more options are always good. But as it is it's not that hard to hit make available offline. It's a brand new service, and it's not perfect, but it's still very good. The stuff he's complaining about is either poo poo he can just ignore, like the new tab, poo poo he has wrong, like the radio tab, poo poo that will be fine in a day or two, like the add to library button, or poo poo that would improve through use of the service, like the for you tab.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

metavisual posted:

On your iOS device, go to My Music => Playlists => click on "All Playlists" (It doesn't look clickable, but it is) => switch is there.

Thanks this explained why the playlist I was working on at work looked blank.

That said does anyone know why the playlist I made on my iPhone today is not showing up in iTunes? I haven't synced it, but common sense would tell me that since I have the cloud on it should show up without syncing my iPhone. Correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The best part of Apple Music is watching tech journalists stuck in arrested development fawn over Swift and pretend she is going to decide the fate of streaming music services. People are going to switch from a service they like because a very wealthy pop star throws a very public tantrum.

Meanwhile the better services have storage lockers, for albums you (or your 15 year old daughter) already bought, and also torrents exist.

• Locked thread