Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Do you actually know what Swifts "tantrum" was about? Then again it might not matter because you're straight up advocating piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, playing a song on my iPhone or iPad now updates the play counts on my PC! Glorious day!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you actually know what Swifts "tantrum" was about? Then again it might not matter because you're straight up advocating piracy

I'm not advocating piracy (*), I'm stating that this is a world where the genie is out of the bottle, and the only reason the industry isn't in the toilet is because they've discovered the only way to compete with "free" is to make a product that amounts to a $10/mo convenience tax (which, hey, is great. I love convenience, it got me.) That being reality, "taking the ball and going home" isn't a great tactic when your ball is freely available in thousands of places.

(*) It's worth noting the only reason we've shifted to $10/mo for all you can consume music vs. $18.99 a disc as standard is because of the piracy scare circa 2000.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm not advocating piracy (*), I'm stating that this is a world where the genie is out of the bottle, and the only reason the industry isn't in the toilet is because they've discovered the only way to compete with "free" is to make a product that amounts to a $10/mo convenience tax (which, hey, is great. I love convenience, it got me.) That being reality, "taking the ball and going home" isn't a great tactic when your ball is freely available in thousands of places.

(*) It's worth noting the only reason we've shifted to $10/mo for all you can consume music vs. $18.99 a disc as standard is because of the piracy scare circa 2000.

If it's not a great tactic why has it worked a hundred percent? When she left Spotify she became the only artist to go platinum that year, and when she did the same with Apple Music she got them to pay artists during the trial. In that one she even straight up said she didn't need the money but there were artists who aren't as well off as her. So if you aren't with her on that one you're a loving rear end in a top hat. But it doesn't matter because she won.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Taylor always wins.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MrBond posted:

Why would international music be cheaper? If anything it's probably even more complicated with music rights.

My impression is based off an interview I read with Spotify employees with regards to expanding into Korean music, but in some cases it very well may be complicated and overpriced. If we're talking about Asian music my impression is it should be available, whereas European music would be more expensive.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you actually know what Swifts "tantrum" was about? Then again it might not matter because you're straight up advocating piracy.

You called me a "whiny bitch" but you're whining about someone advocating piracy. There are plenty of bands, who don't consist of mega-hyper-popular teenage girls, who actively advocate piracy as long as it increases their exposure. You should try going to a local show in your city and buying a t-shirt of a touring band, it'll help a lot more than the pennies they get from your militant advocacy of streaming.

The realm of music changes when you expand your horizons beyond whatever Tim Cook and Dr Dre think you should be listening to.

Bass Bottles posted:

Taylor always wins.

At being awful in every single way possible, yeah.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

At being awful in every single way possible, yeah.

WOW.

OKAY.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I'm trying to save tracks that I like off of Beats 1 and Apple Music using the Add to My Music feature, but it never actually shows up on the My Music tab. No error messages or anything. I assume this is a bug or iCloud getting crushed, but I can't rule out that I'm just missing something really, really obvious. This is on iTunes by the way - the app on my iPad seems to be working correctly.

ChadSexington fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 2, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I got a recommendation in For You for an Introduction to Kaela Kimora playlist. Okay, let's check it out.

So, one song actually available. What?

Also something I don't understand is how it handles metadata when adding songs to my music. For example:

I added an Acidman album I didn't have to my music collection. I went back to look at it, but all of the shown metadata for the songs was romanized. Now that's weird, because when I looked at the profile for the album in Apple Music, it was in actual Japanese. Now if you open the files up and look at the meta data, you can see the romanized name of the song, and under it the "reading" of said title, which is the actual title of the song as listed on the album. The artists field is kinda weird too, considering that it gives a Hiragana reading of "Acidman". It also only does this for band/person names and songs; albums remain in Japanese.

It has done this for every album I've added to my collection, and I don't know why. Now, I can edit those files and fix the metadata myself to see the actual Japanese, but I have to do that for every song. So unless I missed a setting or something for how it handles language data, this is just lame. :(

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ChadSexington posted:

I'm trying to save tracks that I like off of Beats 1 and Apple Music using the Add to My Music feature, but it never actually shows up on the My Music tab. No error messages or anything. I assume this is a bug or iCloud getting crushed, but I can't rule out that I'm just missing something really, really obvious. This is on iTunes by the way - the app on my iPad seems to be working correctly.

Some of the tracks they play on Beats1 aren't actually available on Apple Music. At least that was what I discovered after trying to add a track to My Music.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

gret posted:

Some of the tracks they play on Beats1 aren't actually available on Apple Music. At least that was what I discovered after trying to add a track to My Music.

I haven't been able to add from Beats 1 but if I look up the song in Apple Music I can add it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

How the hell do I shuffle all songs by an artist?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

you're just a whiny little bitch.

Every thread he's in gets shitted up like this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just FYI there was iCloud issues most of the day, so if you're saving tracks and they're not showing up under My Music, or anything else iCloudy, it's possible it was a temporary issue. I haven't been able to turn off Find my iPhone all day due to iCloud issues, even now, despite all the services being green:

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

flosofl posted:

Every thread he's in gets shitted up like this.

TheJoker138 posted:

you're just a whiny little bitch.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I really wish there was a web interface for streaming music. My iphone gets super lovely reception in my office, and I'm not allowed to install iTunes on my laptop. Looks like I'll be sticking with Google Music unless Verizon decides to put a tower on my building.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
After a day of fooling around with this, I'm still leaning towards Spotify. The main reason being that Spotify has a more social element. Spotify let's me follow my friends and see what they are listening to, it let's me see their playlists and follow them as they update them. It let's me find other people's playlists (which are sometimes awesome). Apple has none of that right now which is a huge turn off. They have NO Social elements at all, which is bizarre to me because this is Apple and you would think "Social" would be the buzzword when developing a new music app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They tried that and literally nobody used it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Duey posted:

After a day of fooling around with this, I'm still leaning towards Spotify. The main reason being that Spotify has a more social element. Spotify let's me follow my friends and see what they are listening to, it let's me see their playlists and follow them as they update them. It let's me find other people's playlists (which are sometimes awesome). Apple has none of that right now which is a huge turn off. They have NO Social elements at all, which is bizarre to me because this is Apple and you would think "Social" would be the buzzword when developing a new music app.

The social element in Spotify is just as good as it needs to be. One of my friend's in particular is always screenshotting me Spotify tracks and telling me to listen, I keep reminding him to send it via Spotify: easy. I had another friend whip up a playlist of recommendations for me: super simple and effective. Apple already tried social music and it loving sucked and they gave up on it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If there's one thing this thread has taught me, it's that a lot of you listen to lovely music and then bag on the Taylor Swift listeners :allears: and justify your hatred of Apple Music because, uh, vapid something something.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

They tried that and literally nobody used it.

They haven't tried it integrated with a streaming music service. Until they do, I'm probably going back to Spotify.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Apple's music social network (Ping?) failed because they tried to build their own FaceBook clone. Spotify's social features succeed because they just integrated with FaceBook.

If Apple wants @Connect to succeed they should take a note from Spotify and integrate it with Twitter. Go where the people are already.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

TheJoker138 posted:

If it's not a great tactic why has it worked a hundred percent? When she left Spotify she became the only artist to go platinum that year, and when she did the same with Apple Music she got them to pay artists during the trial. In that one she even straight up said she didn't need the money but there were artists who aren't as well off as her. So if you aren't with her on that one you're a loving rear end in a top hat. But it doesn't matter because she won.

lol holy poo poo I'm glad your billionaire pop star fantasy waifu won her "gently caress you pay me" Internet slapfight with the billion dollar corporation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

lol holy poo poo I'm glad your billionaire pop star fantasy waifu won her "gently caress you pay me" Internet slapfight with the billion dollar corporation.

I don't like Taylor Swift music at all, and she won a victory for literally every artist on Apple Music. You're just really stupid.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Please do not say mean things about Taylor Swift or her multitudes of fans.

Thank you ♥

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I didn't know Taylor Swift was in need of white-knighting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't like Taylor Swift music at all, and she won a victory for literally every artist on Apple Music. You're just really stupid.

Oh ok, the guy who's all "Biggest pop star on earth is really and truly starting a fight with biggest tech company on earth mainly for small artists, not her own bottom line. Taylor Swift, friend of the common man," is going to call me stupid.

:allears:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

I didn't know Taylor Swift was in need of white-knighting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We appreciate your cooperation.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

ShoogaSlim posted:

Aside from the fact that I only like music like this:

I'm really curious to hear why anyone would find the UI acceptable. If you love lovely radio pop that Apple is stuffing into your earholes then there's not much to argue about. But the app itself is loving dog poo poo.

This page illustrates pretty well why the whole onboarding process is awful: http://www.useronboard.com/how-applemusic-onboards-new-users/

Why don't you add your music to iTunes and let it go to the cloud then you have your music and other curated playlists.

Did you go through the artist bubbles and completely fill them out? I find my list is pretty well curated for music and agreed that live beats 1 has some changing to do before I would consider listening for very long. (Let me pick explicit song versions)

I was a diehard rdio user but I'm seeing more and more reasons to switch

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

Oh ok, the guy who's all "Biggest pop star on earth is really and truly starting a fight with biggest tech company on earth mainly for small artists, not her own bottom line. Taylor Swift, friend of the common man," is going to call me stupid.

:allears:

Yeah, you're dumb. Even if she was out for herself it still helped everyone else. So you're dumb.

geera
May 20, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Even when there's something I find that I want to listen to, I can't add it to My Music. It just shows a check mark and then turns back into a +. The only thing I could care about is broken.
I had the same problem. You need to turn this setting off, as shown in this screenshot, then adding songs and playlists to My Music will work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nickutz posted:

Whatever happened to "The Sentence" that was in Beats?
Gone. I didn't use it much, and I didn't really like it, but if you did, you'll have to use the Radio functions.

nickutz posted:

There is a toggle in Spotify under Your Music -> Songs that makes every song added to your library available offline. Apple Music needs this too.
My phone is not big enough to hold my entire library (nor is my laptop, for that matter, unless I have nothing else on it, most likely). This isn't really a good solution for many people. Probably most.

nate fisher posted:

Thanks this explained why the playlist I was working on at work looked blank.

That said does anyone know why the playlist I made on my iPhone today is not showing up in iTunes? I haven't synced it, but common sense would tell me that since I have the cloud on it should show up without syncing my iPhone. Correct?
It'll eventually get there. This has always been slow with iTunes Match. I've definitely added playlists on my iPhone with Apple Music and they're in iTunes, though.

bloodysabbath posted:

The best part of Apple Music is watching tech journalists stuck in arrested development fawn over Swift and pretend she is going to decide the fate of streaming music services. People are going to switch from a service they like because a very wealthy pop star throws a very public tantrum.

Meanwhile the better services have storage lockers, for albums you (or your 15 year old daughter) already bought, and also torrents exist.
Apple duplicates the functions of iTunes Match. You have (currently) a 25,000 song limit, though that's supposedly increasing to 100,000 in the fall. I guess Google Play Music does this free?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Duey posted:

My friends and I have a shared playlist on Spotify that we can all add songs to and its really great when we come across something cool. Would love that added here.

Endless Mike posted:

My phone is not big enough to hold my entire library (nor is my laptop, for that matter, unless I have nothing else on it, most likely). This isn't really a good solution for many people. Probably most.

I understand my use case is likely different than many people here, but I keep my library pretty trim (a few hundred tracks I guess) because I will eventually delete songs that I'm constantly skipping. This is why I love streaming services because I don't have to buy individual songs that I might get tired of months down the road.

But I did use iTunes radio at the gym tonight and didn't skip any songs because it was so good. That never happens when I use Pandora.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
This is a great service and all, but I will be goddamned if I can figure out how to share my family plan with someone else. I signed up for the family plan on my phone, but when I add my girlfriend to my shared family account, and then she tries to login to Apple Music on her phone, it tells her to start a trial. How the gently caress do I share the subscription with her?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Porkchop Express posted:

This is a great service and all, but I will be goddamned if I can figure out how to share my family plan with someone else. I signed up for the family plan on my phone, but when I add my girlfriend to my shared family account, and then she tries to login to Apple Music on her phone, it tells her to start a trial. How the gently caress do I share the subscription with her?

Start that trial process on her phone. It will then say, "Oh hey you've been invited to use this dude's family sharing thing."

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Endless Mike posted:

Apple duplicates the functions of iTunes Match. You have (currently) a 25,000 song limit, though that's supposedly increasing to 100,000 in the fall. I guess Google Play Music does this free?

Any source for the 100k tidbit? That would be awesome.

VVVVVV Thanks!

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 2, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beefnoodle posted:

Any source for the 100k tidbit? That would be awesome.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/apple-music-supports-itunes-match-like-song-uploads-100k-song-limit-in-ios-9/

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is Apple TV supposed to get any type of native support for this? That's actually the device I used iTunes Radio the most on. Sitting on the couch and browsing/adding music through your TV would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Minidust posted:

Is Apple TV supposed to get any type of native support for this? That's actually the device I used iTunes Radio the most on. Sitting on the couch and browsing/adding music through your TV would be great.

I can't imagine why not.

• Locked thread