Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The rolling cactuses are there to clear out antlion larvae nests. I'm convinced they were put in as something for the player to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Not to mention the antlion eggs popped by the rolling cactus, which avoid the ground bound cactus regularly

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Memento posted:

The rolling cactuses are there to clear out antlion larvae nests. I'm convinced they were put in as something for the player to use.

They should of made em roll in the direction you hit them then instead of having them roll loving backwards and uphill to smear you against the sand.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the underground desert rules in a game with too many mechanically similar environments

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rolling cacti are hilarious in multiplayer. I love them.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Vargs posted:

Rolling cacti are hilarious in multiplayer. I love them.

My first encounter with a rolling cactus was when my friends and I found this weird new thing underground, poked at it - and were all mushed into Indiana Jones blooper reels

Absolutely hilarious experience, couldn't have asked for a better introduction to a new game mechanic

Just three graves in a row

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cactuses and boulders are excellent ways to pvp with pvp disabled.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So... is there something I'm missing about getting the Blade Staff.

Because I've killed almost 200 enchanted swords
Gotten 4 hallow keys
3 Rods of Discord
And no Blade Staff

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The drop rate is supposed to be stupidly low, even worse than the Rod, so I think you've just been getting unlucky.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I got two before getting one Rod of Discord, so :shrug:

On that note, I miss the mod that had an actual hotkey for using the Rod specifically.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
One thing I miss about cheat sheet is the ability to just spawn a certain mob en-mass. Feels lesss scummy than just cheating an item in, , but also allows you to get the item in the first place.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ashsaber posted:

One thing I miss about cheat sheet is the ability to just spawn a certain mob en-mass. Feels lesss scummy than just cheating an item in, , but also allows you to get the item in the first place.

Or cover the Guide in spiders and cackle maniacally.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I'm nearing the end, or well, I probably could have a few days ago but been building some projects and clearing corruption. I need to find a dungeon boss to beat I think, and then I guess it's wall of flesh time? Never got to that stage first time I played I think.

I've got the molten pickaxe and armor, lightning boots, obsidian horseshoe, triple balloons, ivy grapple, my void storages. Still no mount but hot drat upgrading to triple balloons and these super boots makes travel so much more fun. With the umbrella I can drift from the top of my cloud wizard tower across half the map almost.

Need to finish building a quarantine around my corruptions spots... but I'm down top 3%, at this point I think I might just end up clearing it all out and building something else where it once stood. It's already a pretty voided out deal wherever corruption is. How do you take the big world screenshots?

I've got a hellevator now and I'm also building a subways that will go diagonally downwards across the map.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Khanstant posted:

I think I'm nearing the end, or well, I probably could have a few days ago but been building some projects and clearing corruption. I need to find a dungeon boss to beat I think, and then I guess it's wall of flesh time? Never got to that stage first time I played I think.

I've got the molten pickaxe and armor, lightning boots, obsidian horseshoe, triple balloons, ivy grapple, my void storages. Still no mount but hot drat upgrading to triple balloons and these super boots makes travel so much more fun. With the umbrella I can drift from the top of my cloud wizard tower across half the map almost.

Need to finish building a quarantine around my corruptions spots... but I'm down top 3%, at this point I think I might just end up clearing it all out and building something else where it once stood. It's already a pretty voided out deal wherever corruption is. How do you take the big world screenshots?

I've got a hellevator now and I'm also building a subways that will go diagonally downwards across the map.

This is my first playing this in a long time, and I have just fought the wall of flesh for the first time.
Be sure and fight the bee queen before you do, i didn't and it was hell getting down there in hardmode just so I could unlock the witch doctor.
Just got through my first blood moon in hardmode, it was like the 2nd night.
After dying like 8 times I ended up just staying in a corner because some pseudo hobgoblin would bomb me into oblivion just trying to leave my base.

Also make sure you have some spare rooms, when the change hit, like 5 of my NPCs moved back in when their homes got corrupted.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm definitely going to hang and build up for a bit before doing hard mode. Did beat a queen bee! Just barely though, I teleported home and she chased me there. I only beat her by healing at the nurse mid-combat. No idea how I'm supposed to dodge some of those moves, maybe easier now with all my upgraded mobility though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I'm definitely going to hang and build up for a bit before doing hard mode. Did beat a queen bee! Just barely though, I teleported home and she chased me there. I only beat her by healing at the nurse mid-combat. No idea how I'm supposed to dodge some of those moves, maybe easier now with all my upgraded mobility though.
By fighting her in the jungle so she doesn't go into enrage mode.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You beat her at home without her running away or killing you? That's awesome

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Having a lot of fun re-exploring the map editing tools the community has developed! I wanted to take a world with a good seed/gen and supercharge it, here's how it looks so far:

Still got a huge amount of work to do on it but the idea is basically "terraria but just a lot more stuff to find". Temple will get a layout change and get perhaps a touch bigger, I have some fun ideas for hell, marble/granite/mushroom/spider biomes being massively extended and more connected, rivers of lava, underground sea, expanded ocean, proper desert with multiple pyramids, big clouds with castles, loot caves and I could just keep going on. I'm kinda building it as a map for a new server but I can re-tool it for singeplayer use without much effort.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 2, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Um that rocks, please keep doing it and post pictures

Now that I know that exists my gears are spinning

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

that is really cool and i think i’d be into trying a solo version out, but having the entire snow biome be corruption makes it impossible to set up and use a frost pylon

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

watho posted:

that is really cool and i think i’d be into trying a solo version out, but having the entire snow biome be corruption makes it impossible to set up and use a frost pylon

Yeah, I'm already creating a new snow area adjacent to that for that exact reason. There's a lot of work to do, I'm doing a fairly broad stroke across the major elements and then I'll refine the finer details on the next pass. I really wish wiring wasn't so easy to see/remove, there's all these fun trap scenarios I can think of but most people would just carry a wrench and disconnect all the bullshit :v:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Um that rocks, please keep doing it and post pictures

Now that I know that exists my gears are spinning

If you're looking for a good map editing tool to try, I use tEdit, it works mostly with 1.4 though is missing some gfx on some new tiles. It's got a pretty drat good set of tools to let you make major edits to a world fairly easily. For example, extending the dungeon in my map was easy, I just created a few different worlds, box select > copy'd the entire dungeon from them, spent like 10 mins trimming it into a clean stamp and pasting them into my base world and connecting them with some quick tile drawing. It's got a bunch of nice features, give it a whirl.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 2, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You beat her at home without her running away or killing you? That's awesome

I really can't overstate how close I came to dying, I got an achievement from healing from the nurse mid-combat twice and i was frantically trying to find my health potions. (sometimes they get autostocked into boxes and i forget). I wasn't expecting to fight her at home when I ran away but that health bar didn't go away and she did show up. I think I also have one of those cat statues at home base that must've helped. Very scared to fight her again, but eater of worlds and eyeball thing are both things I'll summon casually now. I think my defense at this point is higher enough I barely took damage from either last time I fought them.

I took this screenshot a couple days ago, forgot to ask about it. For some reason I figured the corruption spread outward from these altars, but I'm not so sure anymore. For one thing, even before I started making them their own snowbrick containment units, I wasn't actually seeing any live corrupting going on. Seems like even the platform they sat on would stay stone once I purify-powder'd it. The remaining corruption is basically just stuff in-between my blown-out shafts, really excited to see what the dryad says when she finds 0% corruption.

nightwisher posted:

Having a lot of fun re-exploring the map editing tools the community has developed! I wanted to take a world with a good seed/gen and supercharge it, here's how it looks so far:

Still got a huge amount of work to do on it but the idea is basically "terraria but just a lot more stuff to find". Temple will get a layout change and get perhaps a touch bigger, I have some fun ideas for hell, marble/granite/mushroom/spider biomes being massively extended and more connected, rivers of lava, underground sea, expanded ocean, proper desert with multiple pyramids, big clouds with castles, loot caves and I could just keep going on. I'm kinda building it as a map for a new server but I can re-tool it for singeplayer use without much effort.

I almost wish I hadn't seen this. There are map-editing tools and we can make worlds for other people to play on?? How granular is it, can you go in and make custom dungeons and underground areas to discover?

How bad of an idea would it be to make Subnautica Terraria? The Ocean is by far the least developed biome and every other biome could work in some way as an underwater version of some kind.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Khanstant posted:

Very scared to fight her again
You shouldn't be. You beat her after kicking her into enrage by leaving the Hive :ssh:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DACK FAYDEN posted:

by leaving the Hive

She only enrages if you leave the jungle. Hives are just a world gen feature.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ambaire posted:

She only enrages if you leave the jungle. Hives are just a world gen feature.

even more specific, the underground jungle, if you try to build a surface jungle arena she's still enraged

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

even more specific, the underground jungle, if you try to build a surface jungle arena she's still enraged

this makes the "Not the bees!" seed very spicy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Seems that's new with 1.4, I wouldn't have expected it either. The Eater of Worlds can be summoned in both underground and surface corruption and doesn't care which it is, so I figured biome-specific bosses just care about which one you're in as a general thing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

nah plantera has entered rage mode if you leave the underground since 1.2 for instance so it’s not really something new

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Good to know, thanks. It has never come up for me before. Plantera despawns when you die/leave the jungle and making an underground arena around the bulb always worked better for me than trying to run.

It is new for the Bee Queen, though, is what I meant. It didn't use to do that, according to the wiki.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh huh yeah i’ve always though that was the case lol

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If I were a modder I'd make throwing vile powder on a villager corrupt them so they'll live in the corruption. I think after I finish this master playthrough (if i can ever beat a drat mechanical) I'll just only play on journey mode, there's no reason to suffer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah, I was shorthanding - you can go outside the Hive she spawns in but don't you touch the surface or the non-jungle.

Semi-related: I'm mad the green Clentaminator solution converts Glowing Mushroom to jungle because I have some natural underground glowing mushroom I'm using to farm Truffle Worms but it also is near corruption and I wanna just swoop through and clear that out but I can't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Truffle sells dark-blue Clentaminator fluid that can do the reverse, so it's not that big a deal.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Khanstant posted:

For some reason I figured the corruption spread outward from these altars, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Corruption spreads from corrupted blocks, the altars have nothing to do with spread (outside one specific interaction). Before beating the Wall of Flesh, corruption will only spread via grass and can be stopped by three or more blocks of non grass or a sunflower.

After beating the giant shaft of meat :quagmire: a burst of corruption will shoot diagonally upward through your world, essentially ruining all your hard work. Now corruption can spread through stone, sand, and grass, as well as converting mud into dirt and spreading grass across that. A second type of infection, the Hallow, will also spawn and follow the same rules. Additionally, smashing the altars with a hammer the WoF drops will change random blocks into tiny pockets of corruption and hallow.

This all sounds terrible, but the spread is slow (a lot slower than it used to be in previous versions) and as you progress further you start getting more options for dealing with it, like chlorophyte and the clentaminator.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

how am i supposed to tell when i'm in the caverns biome or layer or whatever, I want to find the drat goblin tinkerer!!!!!!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Color Printer posted:

how am i supposed to tell when i'm in the caverns biome or layer or whatever, I want to find the drat goblin tinkerer!!!!!!

Depth meter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can tell by the background. The Caverns layer starts when the brown background tiles of the Underground start disappearing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cuntellectual posted:

Depth meter.

Oh.....I thought it just told me surface/underground....but i'm looking at it now and it says "Caverns"........how about that

now I guess I just need to find an open area or something. yes, I have had a goblin invasion

edit: i found him

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 3, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is it just me or is the Torch luck mechanic even more convoluted now? Like, they made it matter less, but to do so they made the formula MORE complicated -- way too much so. It's weird to think about "well if I have one torch and another torch type they cancel out, but positive score and negative score are considered separately, check each of them within ranges since some scores are only .5, then apply a lower bound of zero at the end because it can only increase luck, then...."

Like, compared to the rest of Terraria the Torch Luck and Happiness seem to be the least well-conceived (or most half-baked) mechanics left in the game, in terms of payoff versus excess complexity. All the complexity is just kind of there. The same probably applied to a lot of mechanics before they were refined to be better over different versions, but here we're supposedly on the last version.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Khanstant posted:

i was frantically trying to find my health potions. (sometimes they get autostocked into boxes and i forget).

If you hold the alt key (i think) you can select your potions and other items and they wont go to a chest.