Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i think that’s different from iframes but it was somewhat fixed by giving summoners a type of primary weapon that mostly works to buff and focus your summons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Summon weapons are all terrible imo. There are a ton of really amazing melee/ranged/magic weapons that work well with a summoning backbone.

As a corollary: everyone should have some kind of summon. It’s trivial to have 2 minion capacity, and as soon as you get a summonable minion (spider staff immediately upon entering hard mode) they’re extremely useful no matter what else you’re doing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It took me a while to get around to it but http://terragoons.website now has download links for archived worlds (Goonlandia and the brief weekend frenzy that was The Strong Dump). There were some really great builds in Goonlandia, so grab it and enjoy if you're looking for inspiration!

e: The maps are still available there as well in their final state.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 27, 2020

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

True vets will beat Terraria with a Large Journey world, For The Worthy seed, locked to x10 spawns Master difficulty

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cardiovorax posted:

The one thing I have always disliked about summons is the way they eat up "damage slots." Many people have probably never run into it, but it's like this: every enemy can take an arbitrary amount of damage during a given time period, but they can only take a limited number of damage ticks. So if you hit a boss with, let's say, twenty bullets per second, it will take damage from all those twenty bullets. If, however, you hit it with twenty bullets and ten summons, then the ten summons will take up half of those 20 slots and only ten of your bullets will actually do damage, even if every single one of your attacks hits. Since player attacks pretty much universally do more damage than summon attacks, this is a massive loss of damage.

Since I preferentially play modded games, I stopped using summons because of this. After a point, they hurt your DPS more thant they add to it.

1.4:

"“Some (though not all) Summons now use their own damage immunity timer system. In practice, what this means is that they will no longer interfere with the use of other weapons by maxing out the enemy’s immunity frames."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think there's a thing where some summons won't trigger iframes but they will fail to hit if an enemy has iframes caused by a piercing weapon or something. Like the summon won't make the meteorite shot pass through, but the meteorite shot could cause a summon to not damage them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, that's nice to hear. I went back to 1.3.5 after a while of playing 1.4 because I just missed all my mods, but I'm happy that they finally resolved what was a pretty long-standing issue with the combat system for me.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I just crafted the Zenith. My goodness.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kind of makes everything else in the game pointless, eh?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kind of makes everything else in the game pointless, eh?

Wouldn't it be a bigger letdown for a weapon you need to beat the game several times over to craft in the first place, was barely above average?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would be kind of pissed if the weapon that is supposed to be one of the last pieces of gear you will ever craft in this game wasn't utterly and hilariously overpowered to the point of making every other weapon meaningless.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is the Switch version worth getting?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is there something like a void bag but for automatically putting money away? I'm playing Master mode with someone and these big Mothrons keep flying off with all our coins, then despawning. Of course we warped to the surface with all our money from exploring, and had one spawn on us immediately before we could put it away.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

Is there something like a void bag but for automatically putting money away? I'm playing Master mode with someone and these big Mothrons keep flying off with all our coins, then despawning. Of course we warped to the surface with all our money from exploring, and had one spawn on us immediately before we could put it away.

Best you'll get is the Flying Piggy Bank from the Blood Moon. Its convenient enough but not automatic, sadly.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm at the point of early hardmode where you get into better gear&weapons and need to reforge them which sucks my money dry instantly. How do you guys like to go about farming/earning enough money?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

I'm at the point of early hardmode where you get into better gear&weapons and need to reforge them which sucks my money dry instantly. How do you guys like to go about farming/earning enough money?

kill pre-hm bosses a few times and sell the bars

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Farming the destroyer with a piercing weapon is a decent way to make a few plat in bars/souls. Pirate invasion enemies also drops a ton of cash and items that sells for a fair amount of money

The brain/eater of worlds also drops a ton of demonite/crimtane and secondaries, that sells for a fair bit

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Right now I'm sitting in a pyramid farm in the caverns which is boring af when I don't do it afk but the stone golems make that sorta worth it by dropping a few gold every now and then :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Are you sure about that? Assuming you don't need to replace a bad modifier you can usually get away with using it until you get an upgrade.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Sandgun and ammo conservation = infinite money, eventually :v:

Journey Mode.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Zereth posted:

Are you sure about that? Assuming you don't need to replace a bad modifier you can usually get away with using it until you get an upgrade.
I'm indeed talking about gear that you'll stick with for a long time/forever and Imo you want extra defense before you can move past titan/adam armor and yeah with some lovely luck it can take a few rolls until you get +3/+4 on your stuff

Gonna do planterra now since I got lucky and had a bulb spawn right away in my arena :woop:

E: I'm trying to farm some mimics in the caverns but it's not working right. I made a pyramid farm with lava at the bottom where enemies walk in and die while I sit below and suck up the drops. Also placed some dart traps on the sides that shoot along the ground to aggro mimics that spawn. But mimics don't want to seem to spawn even with a water candle around for higher spawns. Is there some weird condition you have to fullfill for mimics to show up?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 3, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm currently at the point where I've done most things before starting the event chain towards the moon lord. I still need fishron to stop being an rear end and drop the wings but that's a minor thing. I've started to grind through pumpkin/frost moon events for the gear and I'm not doing enough damage to get through the bosses fast enough. I have no problem with survival but yeah killing fast is my issue. Any advice on better weapons or strats would be cool

My current setup is an arena with a lava layer below me with spear+spike ball traps above it to deal with most of the chaff. Both sides of my arena also have super dart traps shooting inwards. My main weapons right now are the possessed hatchet, the chaingun with chloro bullets and the terra blade. I'm wearing the turtle armor with spectre wings, celestial shell, terraspark boots, ankh shield and berserker glove. All have been reforged to armored/warding

E: Been able to make it to wave 13/14 before the night runs out now. Upped my damage by actually using rage potions, the sniper scope and the best modifiers on my weapons of choice. Still not enough to beat the event but okay for grinding I guess. Also finaly got the fishron wings so I guess I might as well do the moonlord stuff now

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 16, 2020

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hey guys, I have owned this game for a long time and have never gotten very far by myself. I hate playing videogames by myself so im also really just looking for friends to play this game with. I have a mic and would not mind joining a discord community.

E- Oh I didnt read the OP. oops. Joined that discord and ill find friends there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The discord has died down pretty much. This thread's probably the better place to find compatriots.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...96#post-2084933

Here's some of the accessory rebalances coming to 1.4.1. The hero shield buff still seems a bit weak compared to the frozen shell shield, but everything else looks pretty good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...96#post-2084933

Here's some of the accessory rebalances coming to 1.4.1. The hero shield buff still seems a bit weak compared to the frozen shell shield, but everything else looks pretty good.

Even the crappiest wings in the game in Sky Chests is a very big early game changer, especially considering all you need to get to the Sky Islands is a stack of wood and some patience.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

being able to get the horseshoe to disable fall damage before loving around up in the sky is also a nice thing to be possible.

even if i'm not gonna do it :v:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wow, each of those is exciting! They each fix an item being useless by the time you get it. I can't wait for the update and hope it lands in time for some newbies we're playing with to experience it.

At this point I only have one gripe in the game I'd really like them to fix. One remaining piece of low hanging fruit for rebalance:

Explosives (bombs, dynamite) do way, way too much damage.

I think of this primarily in terms of how the speedrunning community plays. There must be some anticipation of how some people will first experience this game at speedrunning events. Ideally you want those folks to experience as much of the game's content as possible. The best way to do that is to force speedrunners to reach to novel challenges each run, by not having any one thing be too "reliable" or "powerful".

But right now, explosives are the ultimate in "reliable" (you can buy them cheaply from the demolitionist in 100% of runs) and in "powerful" (you can buy dynamite and kill all bosses up to Plantera).

Because the demolitionist solves everything up to Plantera, speedrunners have almost no reason to visit any of the other game content (armor sets, weapon classes, etc) pre-Plantera, or to showcase optimized reactions to finding any of the diverse variety of weapons/items available in the game. And they don't. Almost all of it is skipped by every speedrun attempt.

I'm surprised they didn't already fix this, because many of the other 1.4 fixes directly seem to have to do with eliminating unintended shortcuts through the game -- removing duping glitches and a large number of boss cheese strategies and exploits.

Nerfing damage done by bombs and dynamite would significantly make Terraria speedrunning more interesting forever.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'd have liked slight increases to droprates on parts leading up to the Terraspark Boots, but other than that these are good fixes! Might boot up the game again for another run through

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Happy Thread posted:

I'm surprised they didn't already fix this, because many of the other 1.4 fixes directly seem to have to do with eliminating unintended shortcuts through the game -- removing duping glitches and a large number of boss cheese strategies and exploits.

Nerfing damage done by bombs and dynamite would significantly make Terraria speedrunning more interesting forever.

Hotfix: "We have reverted the damage 'rework' on explosives because it drastically reduced myself players accidentally killing themselves with their own explosions out of combat."

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Guess we'll have to wait and see if there's changes to explosives in the full patch notes :)

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Fire Gauntlet isn't going to be a downgrade anymore, cool.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Good god just push for a no splosoves category and get over yourself. loving sanctity of speedrunning first experiences lol.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

StealthArcher posted:

Good god just push for a no splosoves category and get over yourself. loving sanctity of speedrunning first experiences lol.

This is unnecessarily aggressive and unsurprisingly misses the point. Loads of the 1.4 changes were things that hosed with speedrun strats but because they trivialise the game rather than anything around sanctity. Their goal in balancing has really obviously been to have players go through the intended progression with a range of roughly equal weapon options to suit their playstyle.

If speedrunners are making GBS threads on everything up to Plantera with explosives that runs contrary to their goal - not because it's fast, but because it's overpowered

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm trying to imagine why they would be so much in arms about needing their explosive combat damage to remain high against bosses and I just can't.

Wouldn't it be a boon to novice players who get to dig faster because they don't have to be as afraid of dying to the demolitionist's wares?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Happy Thread posted:

But right now, explosives are the ultimate in "reliable" (you can buy them cheaply from the demolitionist in 100% of runs) and in "powerful" (you can buy dynamite and kill all bosses up to Plantera).

Explosives also kill you constantly if you don't know what you're doing, and stuff like WOF with dynamite is way trickier than it looks.

Grenades might be a bit overtuned for early game, but bombs and dynamite are in a fine place for the average player. You can kill stuff with em, but they also break your poo poo and hurt you

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The buff to the lava charm's drop rate is kind of pissing in the wind in my opinion. Going from a one-in-forty chance to a two-in-forty chance isn't going to help the grind much for such a cool accessory that's key to one of the endgame items.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

This is a game for fun not for weird speed running purism so nah let explosives stay as they are because that’s fun for me, thanks

Looking forward to this, it’s cool that now the game is finally complete it can be balanced against itself

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Happy Thread posted:

Wow, each of those is exciting! They each fix an item being useless by the time you get it. I can't wait for the update and hope it lands in time for some newbies we're playing with to experience it.

At this point I only have one gripe in the game I'd really like them to fix. One remaining piece of low hanging fruit for rebalance:

I think of this primarily in terms of how the speedrunning community plays. There must be some anticipation of how some people will first experience this game at speedrunning events. Ideally you want those folks to experience as much of the game's content as possible. The best way to do that is to force speedrunners to reach to novel challenges each run, by not having any one thing be too "reliable" or "powerful".

Because the demolitionist solves everything up to Plantera, speedrunners have almost no reason to visit any of the other game content (armor sets, weapon classes, etc) pre-Plantera, or to showcase optimized reactions to finding any of the diverse variety of weapons/items available in the game. And they don't. Almost all of it is skipped by every speedrun attempt.

haha dynamite go boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Happy Thread posted:

Nah. Explosives are high risk, high reward.