Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Patching a game to change a strategy for an incredibly small portion of a game's viewers and even tinier portion of players is... dumb.

I'm not even sure why I'm commenting or care because it will 100% not happen. But I'm this far into the post, so gently caress it.

Edit: Of COURSE this is a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You don't understand how important it is! This one guy wants to watch videos of other people playing the game not that way, so we have to do it!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Donkringel posted:

Considering how everyone was gathering outside his house with real torches...
Well, that he has a good sense of self-preservation doesn't quite invalidate the point. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

You don't understand how important it is! This one guy wants to watch videos of other people playing the game not that way, so we have to do it!

Don't worry, after this change I'm sure they'll be entirely satisfied when the new ideal strategy is found and everyone does that same one thing instead.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
All such strategies will be irrelevant when somebody finds a bug that lets you execute a buffer overflow into world data and kill the moonlord with one specific, arcane grid of dirt and stone blocks.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

that's the poo poo I live for

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Eikre posted:

All such strategies will be irrelevant when somebody finds a bug that lets you execute a buffer overflow into world data and kill the moonlord with one specific, arcane grid of dirt and stone blocks.

Still, building the glitch monument is so complicated it only shaves about ten minutes off current speed run times.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saxophone posted:

Has modding been updated for 1.4 yet? I got the itch again, but after having had Journey mode I refuse to never not have Journey mode again.
Install the cheat sheet mod you can get most of the effects of journey mode out of it. You'll have to use the honor system, though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm willing to be patient for mods, people need time anyways to adjust to the changes and think through how to change their 1.3 designs

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm reading that 1.4.1 patch topic on a safari for the most annoying opinions. About 90% of the first ten pages are from people wheeling through to write dissertations on their groundbreaking opinion that :siren:torch luck is bad:siren:. But then you've got:

quote:

"If all your other classes feel stupid standing next to you there is a problem.
Unless that is the intent. Do you think the devs wanted 75% of the players to feel stupid and insignificant for not choosing melee?
My son (8) chose melee and my daughter (9) plays summoner and she died then watched her brother solo moon lord and cried "dad..I can't do anything, I just die and he kills every pillar and boss."
She has since then discarded the whip and uses the same sword."

My kids are both same skill level and enjoy playing together, however the zenith just makes other classes feel bad.

Melee isnt in harms way more than other classes (the old tired excuse) yet they get highest armor, regen, damage, and no resource management.

My daughter didnt care before, but this sword is so broken it made her feel pointless.
I just ask to consider this please adjusting. Melee got a sword and everyone else is holding a dull spoon. If you halved its damage...its still better than meowmere. HALVED!

I like this one because it demonstrates that these concerns are appropriate for nine-year-olds who briefly desire something inconsequential to bitch about after they've already beaten the loving game, but unlike their father, they have also correctly determined that you are allowed to use whatever equipment you want at any time and that there's no such thing as a player class with respects to a weapon that just ceaselessly murders everything on the screen without meaningful limitation. Children truly are our future.

quote:

The change about only equipping some accessories and not some others in vanity slots doesn't improve gameplay while making the user interface and inventory management worse, which is frustrating.

It's pretty arbitrary that some accessory items can be equipped in vanity and others cannot. E.g. gizmo pack can be stored in vanity, ok, nice. But lava charm cannot. Why?

This makes the right mouse button to swap them depending on usecase less functional.

Old situation where any accessory can be put in both places was more useful, less frustrating and easier to understand.

Side note, I always found it very weird with those vanity slots that they function both as item storage to swap gear, and display. It makes no sense that the armor you are using is not the one being displayed. It would be even more logical if there were vanity slots that were only for items that have no stats whatsoever and can override the display, and next to that "swap equipment" slots for temporary storage that match all the armor and accessory slots but allow swapping out with the regular equipment slot.

I am absolutely certain that this man does not know the definition of the word "vanity," but I appreciate the philosopher who can forget the idea he was trying to argue against and then, in his confusion, assert it as a his new invention..

quote:

After player 1.4, I had to put it down. The changes just didn't sit right with me, and here are a few topics that frustrated me. These might be repeating some of the other posts, but I'm not going to read 200 of them to decide whether or not to post this.

-The new trees feel out of place. They look good, but the area surrounding them just doesn't fit with them.
-Graves take 20 years to break now, and its a real nusiance considering how ugly they look.
-We can't break sand under cactus anymore. Chopping cacti is a boring experience, and you've stopped a way around it instead of addressing why people don't want to hold click for 6 seconds per cactus.

The length of this post and the bold typeface are [sic], and fully appropriate to call attention to these important ways in which the game is loving ruined now.

quote:

Just gonna be up front with you guys-

Almost everything that was discussed in the past 20 hours is outside of the scope of what I have any authority to impact.

owned

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Eikre posted:

I am absolutely certain that this man does not know the definition of the word "vanity," but I appreciate the philosopher who can forget the idea he was trying to argue against and then, in his confusion, assert it as a his new invention..

I kinda empathize with him because honestly I'd rather have a set swap feature than a vanity feature.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I also think that's a reasonable desire but he's on about "why does this item that you can see on your character get to go in the vanity slot, but not the one that you can't see? It makes no sense! And why is it that the items you have in the vanity slot is the one that shows up, but not the one that's you're actually wearing? It makes no sense! They should add a new special set of slots that aren't supposed to be for anything but a show of vanity."

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eikre posted:

I'm reading that 1.4.1 patch topic on a safari for the most annoying opinions. About 90% of the first ten pages are from people wheeling through to write dissertations on their groundbreaking opinion that :siren:torch luck is bad:siren:. But then you've got:

I like this one because it demonstrates that these concerns are appropriate for nine-year-olds who briefly desire something inconsequential to bitch about after they've already beaten the loving game, but unlike their father, they have also correctly determined that you are allowed to use whatever equipment you want at any time and that there's no such thing as a player class with respects to a weapon that just ceaselessly murders everything on the screen without meaningful limitation. Children truly are our future.

The length of this post and the bold typeface are [sic], and fully appropriate to call attention to these important ways in which the game is loving ruined now.

owned

Don't read stuff like this, people are stupid and have generally stupid opinions and all it will do is make you mad.
Unless you are planning on trolling them for laughs of course.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I am not planning on anything but decadently judging them for things that mean very very little.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I'm going to start building out spots for pylons. Once I have NPCs that are happy and sell me the pylon, I can put whoever I want wherever, yes? It's just requires that any two NPCs be living next to the pylon in question?

Basically I know who I want where, but I need to place them correctly first for pylons and then I can move them as I wish, yes? I set up a Tavern outside of my base and I'm going to put the barkeep there with some folks, and then underground I've built a shady looking place where I'm going to put the Guide in acting as a front for the weapons-dealer living upstairs secretly. ETc.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 24, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Saxophone posted:

So I'm going to start building out spots for pylons. Once I have NPCs that are happy and sell me the pylon, I can put whoever I want wherever, yes? It's just requires that any two NPCs be living next to the pylon in question?

Basically I know who I want where, but I need to place them correctly first for pylons and then I can move them as I wish, yes? I set up a Tavern outside of my base and I'm going to put the barkeep there with some folks, and then underground I've built a shady looking place where I'm going to put the Guide in acting as a front for the weapons-dealer living upstairs secretly. ETc.
Yup. As long as it's located in the right kind of biome and there are two NPCs living near it, you can place a pylon essentially wherever you want. Happiness only matters for the purchase itself, afterwards it's not longer important.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Happiness does matter for buy/sell values, but if money isn't an issue (like Journey mode) it doesn't matter

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Happiness doesn't matter for unlocking inventories (besides the pylons) but be aware that some npcs do have biome-dependent inventories.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Happiness of the Angler apparently is a factor when trying the 29999th time to get that fishing quest reward

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Although god knows why you wouldn't just save-edit it into onto your character at that point.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
haha sdmg go brrr

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My partner and I are doing a blind playthrough of post-golem content, while using Master mode. We encountered our first flying saucer and got wiped out by everything. By our second invasion we realized that we had Black Spot mounts and could outrun all the ground-to-air bullets, and kite the flying saucers. That works beautifully. Running away with the black spot totally cheeses part two of the saucer fight. So by the end of the invasion we downed a couple saucers and got a laser machinegun. And, most important of all, a charged blaster.

Now that I've got a blaster, I've set up a little arena where monsters can only approach from the left, because it butts up against a big ocean house. I sit inside a statue farm and repeatedly use the charged blaster pointed straight left, with spectre armor on. The laser pierces every single enemy that's spawned in on the ground, killing them all and dealing up to 7000 dps.

Using that setup, we were just today able to beat all waves of Master Mode's Pumpkin Moon. Previously we had seen Pumpkin Moon only on Classic difficulty and only reached wave 12. I think we've graduated.

Now I can use that same arena to abuse the Horseman's Blade to attack enemies offscreen even when there's nothing along the ground to shoot with the laser. That probably makes us ready to try either our first frost moon, fishron, or cultist, though we are in no way ready for old one's army (never got medallions).

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 26, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Playing this with a buddy who is new to the game. Looks like there’s a lot more sanding down of the grind this game used to have, which is pretty rad. Seeing as there’s all these QoL changes, is there anything which makes chests/inventory management easier to deal with? Or am I still going to have to make a large vault with signs over rows of chests?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a magical vault now which you can access from anywhere and which automatically collects overflow items for you if your normal inventory is full. Sadly, it doesn't get better than that without mods, which haven't caught up to 1.4.0 yet.

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Void_Vault

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If you're in Journey mode you can just research poo poo and spawn some when you need it instead of storing things.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In 1.4 is a magic user easier/more viable to play? Thoughts regarding a magic user in both pre Hardmode and Hard,ode would be much appreciated.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I play magic users preferentially and I thought it was always super accessible. I haven't noticed a big difference, it seems as good as ever.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I did a magic build on a server with some friends, the Magic Missile and Flamelash got some nice buffs for pre-hardmode.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Whats a good loadout/strategy vs the Ice Queen? I've been attempting my Pumpkin Moon strategy which basically is use Phantasm to shower Pumpkin Kings with a zillion Holy Arrows, collect hearts, rinse repeat. Doesn't seem to work so good versus the Ice Queen, and I can usually only get to Wave 13 of Frost Moon. I haven't defeated Moon Lord yet, though I have run a few lunar event cycles

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Generally speaking, you didn't really do anything wrong there. The same general strategies that work on the Pumpkin Moon event also work on the Frost Moon. It's just generally harder, with higher damage and health values. It's largely a damage race aside from the adds, so you shouldn't be having major problems with your gear, which is about as high-end as you can get. Have you tried building an arena for it? The wave events are usually much easier if you get yourself a good perch to sit them out.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I was attempting it using my Pumpkin Moon arena, but that was mostly designed for me to fly about and kite Pumpkings

I whipped up a new design, wherein I basically can just run along the platform to deal with the Ice Queen using a Razorblade Typhoon

I made it to mid-way through wave 14 (before I added the lava for this screenshot) so this could do it. Ill try a few more runs after I've tweaked my gear and whipped up some potions. I'd rather not go hunting for more traps, so this will probably be it for the moment. Gotta work on the overall look too, those fat pillars are killing me aesthetically

Woden
May 6, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

At the same time, part of the GDQ appeal is that the game gets done quick. If you plug all the skips and force speedrunner to play "legit", a speedrun for a game like Terraria is going to take what, ten hours? Twenty? Who's gonna watch it?

If the older versions are deemed better for runs, they'll just stick to the old version like plenty of other games do.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I have played a LOT of Terraria through a ton of patch and mod iterations and I cannot stop myself from scumbagging with Vampire Knives in literally every playthrough. I'm not complaining but whenever someone has trouble with an event, the answer is Vampire Knives.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

bij posted:

I have played a LOT of Terraria through a ton of patch and mod iterations and I cannot stop myself from scumbagging with Vampire Knives in literally every playthrough. I'm not complaining but whenever someone has trouble with an event, the answer is Vampire Knives.

Didn't they build the Moon Lord so that they weren't as effective? If so, Id say that's a high sign that they are indeed that effective

I still haven't had any drop in this run, though since I'm now post Moon Lord, I don't mind hopping to some other worlds where I'm sure I have some lying around. For one thing, I need to get an enchanted sword so I can try out Zenith

There aren't any limitations on moving a character between worlds with different difficulty types, are there? Was thinking of fooling around in an Expert or Master world whilst I suffer through 200 fishing quests.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Are there any quality of life improvements for Nintendo Switch players, like controller setups?

I just bought it after playing the original release years ago and it's notably more difficult without a mouse and keyboard, but it's still really fun. It is a bummer to miss out on 1.4 stuff like pylons but I'm hoping that comes next year.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Moreau posted:

There aren't any limitations on moving a character between worlds with different difficulty types, are there? Was thinking of fooling around in an Expert or Master world whilst I suffer through 200 fishing quests.

You can't move a Journey character to a non-Journey world, and vice versa, but otherwise no.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also you should probably note if your character is in Journey mode you can just change the difficulty to master or expert at any time without having to make a specific world for that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also you should probably note if your character is in Journey mode you can just change the difficulty to master or expert at any time without having to make a specific world for that.

Which is why I really like Journey mode, make it whatever you like whenever you like.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah one of the things I did after creating zenith was pause the time during the night, crank spawn rates and do the moon events until I got bored of being the avatar of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Moreau posted:

Didn't they build the Moon Lord so that they weren't as effective? If so, Id say that's a high sign that they are indeed that effective
Thanks to potion sickness, healing is pretty rare and difficult in Terraria, so anything that can not only do damage for you but also heal you at the same time is indeed crazy effective. That caster armor which kills your magic damage output in return for doing a fraction of it as healing to yourself can carry you through most of a hardmode run.