Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

MR. J posted:

Normal piggy banks require you to haul around a table to place them on before use, however.

You can place piggy banks on platforms. You need to put down a couple to have enough space for the piggy bank, but you don't need to dedicate an inventory slot to furniture to place it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh my god, just realized I've been carrying around a table each playthrough, even though based on my houses it seems that I knew platforms worked too

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My own revelation was finding a magic carpet on my second playthrough. Holy poo poo that thing is useful for basically everything before hardmode and it still comes in handy occasionally afterwards.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any advice on what to do before I take the plunge and go to hardmode? I'm decked out in Hell armour, I can defeat everything super easily, enemies don't pose a challenge. I'm just scared of the huge difficulty jump that'll happen as soon as I defeat the WoF. So what are some definite to-do list tasks before upping the difficulty?

I'm thinking of renovating my house from top to bottom, so it's a lot nicer. It'll be easier to do it pre-hardmode. I also plan on building shacks for all my NPCs in the zones I want them, for pylon teleports.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Set up some herb farms and brew yourself some potions. Regen and ironskin are probably enough but spelunking potions sure wouldn't hurt. Setup a glowing mushroom farm too, maybe a surface glowing mushroom biome. I'd suggest having a secure hellshaft with some branches.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GodFish posted:

Set up some herb farms and brew yourself some potions. Regen and ironskin are probably enough but spelunking potions sure wouldn't hurt. Setup a glowing mushroom farm too, maybe a surface glowing mushroom biome. I'd suggest having a secure hellshaft with some branches.

I'd also recommend digging a channel around your main base areas. I use sticky dynamite to make it go faster.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Alternatively, if you liked the pre-hardmode game, you could build up some skills by trying your luck on a second world with higher difficulty. What seemed trivial before becomes a genuine obstacle to overcome. I used to start new worlds all the time just to see how fast i could progress, getting better in that way instead of in terms of preparations built into just one world that may or may not turn out to be strictly necessary.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Qubee posted:

Any advice on what to do before I take the plunge and go to hardmode? I'm decked out in Hell armour, I can defeat everything super easily, enemies don't pose a challenge. I'm just scared of the huge difficulty jump that'll happen as soon as I defeat the WoF. So what are some definite to-do list tasks before upping the difficulty?

I'm thinking of renovating my house from top to bottom, so it's a lot nicer. It'll be easier to do it pre-hardmode. I also plan on building shacks for all my NPCs in the zones I want them, for pylon teleports.

It’s not that much of a jump. The only real danger is pirates too early and then just reload as they have a relatively low chance of showing up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think elevating your base(s) a bit so they don't get corrupted/crimsoned is a good idea, but beyond that just take the plunge. You're probably going to die a couple times when like flying laser-shooting slimes show up or if you try and build too high a wyvern might take exception but like that's how you advance.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest thing that worries me is the entire world turning corrupted. Putting a stop to it seems like a monumental task, but I like my biomes and don't want everything to be gross and depressing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If you're really worried about getting corrupted/crimsoned, buy some hallow seeds off the dryad and plant them by your base. Also don't spend a million years loving around before fighting the mechanical bosses, they greatly slow the spread when you beat them.

If you built your main base in the center of the world, it won't get corrupted during the transition. If you built a lot of satellite bases with the pylons and stuff some of them might get hit but you can deal with that later.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Homes can get corrupted, which is annoying. Entire worlds cannot. You'll always have some of each biome. You'll actually want their corrupt versions as well. Underground jungle is impervious to corruption.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Qubee posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest thing that worries me is the entire world turning corrupted. Putting a stop to it seems like a monumental task, but I like my biomes and don't want everything to be gross and depressing.

I found the spread of corruption incredibly annoying and mind-numbing to actually try and fix. Huge swaths of areas I was actively using pre-hardmode got instantly corrupted in the switch. I wasted a ton of time trying to contain it (large world), and eventually decided I hated it, so I downloaded a world editor and cleaned up all the corruption/hallow outside of small controlled areas. I do not regret it at all and it was absolutely the right decision, that mechanic is really tedious and unfun.

Happy Thread posted:

Homes can get corrupted, which is annoying. Entire worlds cannot. You'll always have some of each biome. You'll actually want their corrupt versions as well. Underground jungle is impervious to corruption.

???

My entire jungle biome got consumed by crimson

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Qubee posted:

If you don't feel challenged by pre-hardmode Hell, you'll be fine in early Hardmode. The difficulty jump isn't so massive that you'll be having a really rough time. It just upgrades the enemies enough to be a threat again, similar to how they were when you first explored the world with early equipment.

Qubee posted:

The initial Corruption/Hallow wave might be a bit annoying, but they don't spread super fast. Unless you get really distracted with spending ages on farming or megaconstructions or something, you shouldn't see your world greatly impacted by the spread. Probably the biggest potential problem is the risk of one of your biome bases, arenas, or farming areas getting caught up by the corruption wave. But if you're unlucky enough to have this happen, you can just dig out and replace the corrupted blocks in the surrounding area while leaving enough of a gap open to prevent the corruption from spreading back into the base.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Taffer posted:

???

My entire jungle biome got consumed by crimson

It didn't. You must not have looked down far enough before popping open the level editor. Evil can't spread through mud in the underground layer and below.

Build your new towns in groups of 3 houses, each on stilts (stay below harpy level) to get some distance from any stray corrupt blocks underground. Should be pretty easy to manage then. If they get corrupted anyway, build new ones, then claim the corrupt ones back in an instant once you can afford a Clenteminator.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 12, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Make a easy route to your nearest chasm that has soul altars/crimson altars. You need to break them to summon hard mode metals.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Happy Thread posted:

Underground jungle is impervious to corruption.

you've got it backwards. underground jungle is impervious to hallow, corruption/crimson will spread quite well through underground jungle.

biome spread is mostly inconsequential. you can buy tools to fix it later. you can also just craft your own biomes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
All jungle is impervious to Hallow; only the evil biomes can convert mud to dirt and only do so in hard mode. This applies both above and below the surface level.

The underground jungle is largely, but not wholly, immune to corruption because it starts spawning chlorophyte once hard mode starts, and chlorophyte will block corruption and even convert dirt back to mud. The underground jungle will slowly shrink if it is adjacent to an evil biome and you're strip mining it for chlorophyte, but remain intact otherwise.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How does the corruption/hallow spread when you've got it blocked? I have a stripe of corruption about 400 bricks wide and deep enough to hit the cavern layer, surrounded by a 10-block air gap and a 5-block layer of grey brick on the sides and bottom. I went to a lot of trouble to block it off because it's near my main base and I don't want to have to come back and clentaminate them and juggle NPCs after they leave corrupted housing. But every now and then I'll notice it spreads past the barrier at the bottom or sides. I thought it couldn't jump across a gap like that?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It can only "jump" three blocks, so a five-tile wall should seal it off but good. My best bet would be that you've got a few tiles of ebonstone outside of it that are hidden in the surrounding dirt.

There's also a chance to spawn a block of hallow or corruption somewhere in the world whenever you smash a demon altar, but it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Did you hammer out the back wall?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ah, so i wasn't really right -- evil can spread there, it just tends to get aggressively converted back. Didn't know it was about chlorophyte.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zereth posted:

Did you hammer out the back wall?

Oh poo poo, can walls spread corruption? Because I sure didn't smash them out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Back walls can be corrupted but can't spread it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Just to clarify, corrupt biome spread doesn't slow upon beating the mechanical bosses, it's not until beating the hard mode jungle boss that the spread gets slowed. But you need to defeat the mechanical bosses before you can get anything useful out of hardmode jungle anyway so yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MR. J posted:

Just to clarify, corrupt biome spread doesn't slow upon beating the mechanical bosses, it's not until beating the hard mode jungle boss that the spread gets slowed. But you need to defeat the mechanical bosses before you can get anything useful out of hardmode jungle anyway so yeah.
Huh, I thought beating the mechanical bosses slowed it and then the jungle slowed it more.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't plant Crimson seeds in the planter boxes I buy from the Dryad, what gives? Everything else plants easily, and once I found out the different boxes are purely cosmetic, planting seeds became way easier.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Crimson seeds are grass seeds, you put them on normal dirt blocks and they turn into Crimson grass blocks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Crimson seeds work like corrupt/hallowed seeds and need to be planted in dirt like plain grass. Crimson is the other evil biome, and the seeds are a way to introduce it artificially if your world doesn't have it from the start.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Don't use it on dirt near your house unless you want to be very sad

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I agree with the other posters who said that the spread of crimson and corruption can be very tedious. It would be nice if there were items you could place around the world to protect against the spread for a good area around them (sunflowers aren't that powerful).

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

if it's that big of a concern, digging shafts with sticky dynamite or via mining potion+chisel+good pickaxe is there to save you

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Ten years of Terraria on May 16th. I remember the hype that the alpha previews caused.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I still haven't beat the moon boss, I got right up to it with a shoot-guns build but I just don't have the wherewithal to grind up enough potions or reroll my gear for perfect stats or whatever. Maybe I'll look up a cheese build and exploit the AI with world geometry, that has worked pretty well in the past.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can beat it fairly manageably with a big looping railroad track, homing weapons and patience. Just constantly move away from it and fire blindly in its direction for several minutes until it is dead. I haven't tried it with guns, but I've killed it pretty reliably with the Nebula Blaze. I've no idea how to actually fight it, I've gotten torn up every time I've tried, but this works for me.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

first moon lord strat that worked for me was an asphalt road along the entire top end of the world and kiting. it worked even on master mode, no nurse cheese required.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Railway track works, so does asphalt, speed boots and a well-fed buff. If you can get up to (I think) 82mph, he can't touch you. And asphalt is made with something you've been collecting since literally minute one of the game.

Edit: yeah, that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vortex beater + chlorophyte bullets + every buff potion you got + cosmic car key. Just fly directly away from it firing at it and use healing potions as needed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
how long have bomb fish been sticky bombs for

how long have I been living this half life of ignorance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait they're sticky?