Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's at about 44.5 million copies across all platforms, slightly below Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (combined) and slightly better than RDR2, Wii Fit, and the 1989 GameBoy/NES releases of loving Tetris. It's the 9th best selling game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It’s still a weird take to Kramer into the thread going ‘ok yeah it’s cool but I’m not patting him on the back!’

Okee dokee.

Meanwhile I am, cuz he could be charging $5 per new fomo armor set on an eshop and instead he’s just pumping out more free content cuz he wants to and because it makes folks happy.

What a weird loving take.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's not a good thing. Most developers don't get an opportunity to do something like that because most games that sell anywhere near that volume are made by huge teams or get sold to a big corp like Minecraft. It's really cool that Terraria is made by such a small team that one guy can decide he'd rather keep updating it for free instead of having to keep making new games and microcharge for bullshit to earn a living, it's great for us and I really hope it's great for Red as well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ahhhhhhh shut the gently caress up and enjoy the game you whiny poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
???

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

not you, the turd complaining about back-patting nonsense

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Saxophone posted:

It’s still a weird take to Kramer into the thread going ‘ok yeah it’s cool but I’m not patting him on the back!’

Okee dokee.

Meanwhile I am, cuz he could be charging $5 per new fomo armor set on an eshop and instead he’s just pumping out more free content cuz he wants to and because it makes folks happy.

What a weird loving take.

I think that you have been so jaded by long years of rapacious behaviour that you can no longer recognize something perfectly sensible. Let me rephrase:

Many with massive amounts of money doesn't need more money to add to the mass, therefore he doesn't deserve praise for not doing everything possible to make even more money that he could never use.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

shut da gently caress up!!!!!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Nah. It’s a cool thing. And he is cool for doing it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that you have been so jaded by long years of rapacious behaviour that you can no longer recognize something perfectly sensible. Let me rephrase:

Many with massive amounts of money doesn't need more money to add to the mass, therefore he doesn't deserve praise for not doing everything possible to make even more money that he could never use.

The industry standard is rapacious behavior. Years and years of free, substantial updates is a relatively uncommon exception, not a norm or sensible expectation.

People pat Redigit on the back because he's gone pretty far above and beyond what most people expect out of game devs. A decade of free updates is absolutely a favor from the dev to the players, since he'd be loaded as poo poo even if he did a minute fraction of that work.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 4, 2022

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I think there's a difference between not wanting to pat him on the back because he has the financial safety net to be able to freely provide updates at no risk to himself unlike many indie developers, and wanting to pat him on the back because he's putting more free content and support out when he absolutely doesn't have to. You can do both of those things.

Just because the "ratio" between the work put in and the amount of money/success he's had is a lot higher doesn't mean his effort is meaningless.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sailor Dave posted:

I think there's a difference between not wanting to pat him on the back because he has the financial safety net to be able to freely provide updates at no risk to himself unlike many indie developers, and wanting to pat him on the back because he's putting more free content and support out when he absolutely doesn't have to. You can do both of those things.

Just because the "ratio" between the work put in and the amount of money/success he's had is a lot higher doesn't mean his effort is meaningless.

His effort is not meaningless, I agree. Your first point is very well made, but in my case I don't think that I can separate the two. Long years of living in a cynical, greedy world have jaded me, too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I pat red on the back because it would be very reasonable for them to charge full DLC prices for some of the content updates. There is orders of magnitude more content in the game than there was at release and not once has that incurred an additional charge or a price markup. It's like Yacht Club Games added all the additional campaigns free of charge: I don't blame them for charging, but doing that kind of update for free is worthy of praise.

Also it's funny that apparently they simply are unable to stop themselves from adding more content to Terraria.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JustJeff88 posted:

This is so weird. Just drop it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah one of the Red Cloud devs says on the page that it’s incredibly prone to crashing with any other mods enabled.

To bring this back quickly, I've been slowly adding mods to my ongoing Red Cloud game, and so far none of the quality of life mods have made it crash. Apparently Magic Storage has a few flags that make it work explicitly with Red Cloud 1.4, and the Red Cloud discord server is strongly suggesting using recipe browser

I don't imagine Dragonball would work well, nor Calamity. But no need to be shy about adding stuff like fargos soul mod, alchemist lite, auto trash, or consistent reforging.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't imagine Dragonball would work well

I come bearing more good news!

This is only starting out, but it doesn't crash and all the controls work.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Super Red Cloud Z

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wouldn't you have a lot of trouble getting the (non-ki-crystal) materials in Red Cloud?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Good news for whoever wanted LuiAFK back, somebody's working on it:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2829748212

and Quality of Life handles a lot of the potion side stuff
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2797518634
The buffs still take up slots, but the mod also lets you have more buff slots to compensate

I know it's missing the things like the terraformers or hellevator makers but the luiafk port guy is working on implementing the UI for that stuff.

EDIT: Oh here's another attempt at it LuiAFK: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2831752947&searchtext= check the bug thread though, there's some severe stuff

Zereth fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 9, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

Good news for whoever wanted LuiAFK back, somebody's working on it:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2829748212

and Quality of Life handles a lot of the potion side stuff
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2797518634
The buffs still take up slots, but the mod also lets you have more buff slots to compensate

I know it's missing the things like the terraformers or hellevator makers but the luiafk port guy is working on implementing the UI for that stuff.

EDIT: Oh here's another attempt at it LuiAFK: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2831752947&searchtext= check the bug thread though, there's some severe stuff
Hooray! Something to keep my eye on.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

Wouldn't you have a lot of trouble getting the (non-ki-crystal) materials in Red Cloud?

So far ki crystals are the sticking point. There's jungle everywhere and none of it counts for Calm crystals. And the basic ones only drop in forest surface biomes. Once you get enough to fly, however, large parts of the map are wide open.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Huh, I remember Red Cloud being that you couldn't like. Mine anything except certain "doors" that the relevant drill was a "key" for and you couldn't do most crafting at all.

I mean, honor system when I played it, but they managed to figure out how to make it actually enforced later. I'm surprised you were able to make the crafting station to make any ki attacks at all.

In other news, does anybody remember what mod the like, random extra traits on weapons/armor/accessories, in addition to the prefix, was? Like it had "cubes" you could buy from the Wizard to reroll just those modifiers and such.

I want to see if it's updated for 1.4 but I don't know what the name of the thing was.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I think I posted forever ago about this when I first made the mod but here's my medium core QoL mod that stores all your items in your death tombstone and swaps em back into the same slot they were before you died:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2830886458

I saw 1.4 got tmod support so I went back and updated it. I'll say that Exuvo did a lot of the major improvements to my original code and that's what I updated here. He gave me the ok to update his branch and so now it's up on the workshop. Open source mods are great :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If my Jungle is right next to the Corruption, what is my best option for preventing spread once I hit hardmode?

1) Build a big ol' trench lined with bricks
2) Sprint over there as soon as the WoF dies and cleanse a patch to convert into Hallow as a buffer
3) Before killing the WoF create a small glowing mushroom patch as a buffer

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If you're worried abut the ruface jungle: uh, not sure. Maybe keep some jungle grass seeds on hand to make some yourself somewhere convient.

If you're worried about the underground jungle: hahahahaha the jungle can handle itself :unsmigghh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I want to keep the surface jungle so I can have a pylon village there atop the underground jungle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Build your pylon village floating off the ground and use some of those jungle grass seeds I mentioned to turn it into jungle, then it'll be safe unless one of the hardmode transition stripes hits it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

If my Jungle is right next to the Corruption, what is my best option for preventing spread once I hit hardmode?

2) Sprint over there as soon as the WoF dies and cleanse a patch to convert into Hallow as a buffer

Fastest option is dynamite :eng101:🧨

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

Huh, I remember Red Cloud being that you couldn't like. Mine anything except certain "doors" that the relevant drill was a "key" for and you couldn't do most crafting at all.

I mean, honor system when I played it, but they managed to figure out how to make it actually enforced later. I'm surprised you were able to make the crafting station to make any ki attacks at all.

You can enable or disable the "adventure mode" component at will. So you can disable it do place the Z/Kai table and then re-enable it for the rest of the run.

I finished the playthrough last night. The only ingredient I could not get was Katchin Scales, which only drop from Duke Fishron, and enough Radiant Fragments/Luminite because the mod for some reason is only set up to do the Lunar Events once. In both cases, I just had to cheat them in with the CheatSheet mod.

In classic Dragonball mod fashion, it completely trivializes most of the map's challenges. By the time I got to hard mode, I was punching way above what my gear said I should be able to. The only hangups I ran into was the mod's automatic reverse gravity mode in the Underground Hallow and Meteor biomes. Turns out there's a LOT of underground hallow all over the map. And when the "reverse gravity" button is the same as DBTerraria's "fly up" button... yeah. But minor complaints aside, it was fun enough I guess.

I had completed the optional "face yourself" challenge and got the game's ultimate weapon as a reward. Then I went to face a late game boss who had had over 100,000 health. And I one shot it. Good times.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zereth posted:

Build your pylon village floating off the ground and use some of those jungle grass seeds I mentioned to turn it into jungle, then it'll be safe unless one of the hardmode transition stripes hits it.

The question I asked was how to best protect my surface jungle though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd do the trench, three blocks wide / tall is enough. Just need a liner on one side with something non-corruptible at the portion where grass grows to avoid the thorns spreading the corruption. Using the hallow makes more sense to me if you discover areas post-transition where you need some protection and aren't yet tough enough to hang out there digging trenches, so you need to rely on the hallow spread to build your buffer for you. Similarly, using the glowing mushroom biome to protect gets a lot more attractive once you're already in hardmode and have the Steampunker and Truffle NPCs and can use the clentaminator and dark blue solution to create a layer of glowing mushrooms at the edges of the underground jungle.

If you're worried about the V that'll form at the transition to hardmode, which you probably should be, build a few vertical trenches at various spots along the surface jungle rather than just one at each end. That way you'll have multiple pieces of jungle that are independently protected, giving you a chance that some of them survive untouched even if others of them get slammed.

Nothing you can do to protect it from the block that converts when you break an altar, so either keep an eye on it every time you do so or refrain from breaking altars.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

you don't need to protect the underground jungle, chlorophyte does that for you.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crimson/corruption will still eat into it and I like to keep things cleaner than that, but, yeah, eventually it will hit a point where the chlorophyte ore can handle it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd do the trench, three blocks wide / tall is enough. Just need a liner on one side with something non-corruptible at the portion where grass grows to avoid the thorns spreading the corruption. Using the hallow makes more sense to me if you discover areas post-transition where you need some protection and aren't yet tough enough to hang out there digging trenches, so you need to rely on the hallow spread to build your buffer for you. Similarly, using the glowing mushroom biome to protect gets a lot more attractive once you're already in hardmode and have the Steampunker and Truffle NPCs and can use the clentaminator and dark blue solution to create a layer of glowing mushrooms at the edges of the underground jungle.

If you're worried about the V that'll form at the transition to hardmode, which you probably should be, build a few vertical trenches at various spots along the surface jungle rather than just one at each end. That way you'll have multiple pieces of jungle that are independently protected, giving you a chance that some of them survive untouched even if others of them get slammed.

Nothing you can do to protect it from the block that converts when you break an altar, so either keep an eye on it every time you do so or refrain from breaking altars.

Thank you very much, trench it is.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Are there any mods for Terraria that makes it so single player would be fun? I've only ever played this with a group, but I'm on at odd hours, and kind of want to putter away at something when I need to brain off for a bit, and was thinking about trying a hyper modded play through. I don't think I've ever played with mods.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are there any specific problems you want to address that make it not fun solo for you? EDIT: for context I have literally never played the game multiplayer so I'm not sure what issues you're seeing here.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I haven't tried really, I just feel like there should probably be traversal options that don't break the game but lets you cross long distances, stuff that makes building way faster, maybe even dragging and dropping lines and boxes like a build mode that's balanced somehow? Miners? Armors and Weapons that make up for the fact that you'll be fighting the bosses solo, like vehicles maybe? Maybe new progression stuff, and world gen so you can have everything in one giant world? Not having to look up recipes would be nice, or just knowing what an item could be used for. Something to keep track of NPCs, maybe more NPCs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The base game has almost all of those things, but you have to work for them. Travelling merchants sell gear that increase the range and placement speed for building, pylons allow for instant teleportation between multiple settlements, the Guide will tell you literally everything an item can be made into if you show it to him.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's been like 2 or 3 years since I played I think, I guess I forgot about a lot of this stuff, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the addition of pylons was a game-changer in the absolute best way. having to think about organizing villager placement for happiness is a little annoying, but it's fun to build cute biome-appropriate houses and get the ability to warp all over the place