Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Defeated the big worm and got my first meteorite last night. I almost instantly had a flashback to last time I played this, I remember hating mining those areas with the infinite meteors swarming you. My brain remembered the pain instantly, and I'm dreading logging in today to finish mining it out to stop the swarms. I made myself the Hamaxe, not sure what to build with it next, defense-wise meteor armour seems about the same as the demonite stuff I just made. The lightsaber looks cool but I just got some demonite flail that makes even my OP yo-yo look like a child's toy again. Flail and slimeboi really made mining that meteor less frustrating than my body was anticipating but I still just find that dull thud sound of hitting them offensive somehow.

I looked up meteors before bed, I can't imagine needing more meteorite for a while if at all again. Can I create a fake-meteor biome at the bottom of the ocean or something to keep the meteor risk down and also keep the annoying enemies far away from me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Khanstant posted:

I looked up meteors before bed, I can't imagine needing more meteorite for a while if at all again. Can I create a fake-meteor biome at the bottom of the ocean or something to keep the meteor risk down and also keep the annoying enemies far away from me?

Yeah, the wiki says meteors won't fall if you already have enough meteorite in your world above surface level.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

How comfortable are you with C#? I haven't actually tried modding Terraria, but tmodloader seems quite approachable.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-1-getting-started-with-tmodloader.44817/

comfortable enough. I just wondered if anyone here had done it and could give me a barometer reading on how painful simple things can be

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm trying to give myself an excuse not to kill the wall of flesh already and progress into hardmode. I've done pretty much everything I wanted to do before that.. got a subway across the world, skybridge for stars, multiple 5 tile wide with stone slab wall dividers to protect biomes, tons of mob drops and chests stuffed full of everything.

I guess I still want to do two things: kill enough sharks for the diving helmet, and create an underground/surface jungle biome protected from spawns. Definitely had a grand old time pre-hardmode.. character's got almost 58 hours invested so far.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Before you trigger hardmode, make a big horizontal tunnel through the map just above hell. Drain any lava that you encounter. Next, while it's still easy to build there (no hardmode spider nests), line the bottom with mud and start the spread of some blue mushroom seed.

This tunnel will become a valuable way to get around post-wall-of-flesh, from which to access the deepest titanium/adamantium deposits.

Your tunnel will also immediately be an easy source of Truffle worms if you just run down it at full speed with a net. It will be deep enough for them to actually spawn.

As soon as you get Clentiminator you'll also be able to quickly turn the whole tunnel's mud into Jungle with a few shots downstream as you run. Now you have a life fruit and plantera farm in exchange for some or all of your truffle worm farm.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dark Blue solution even allows you to swap it back and forth at will. Since you can buy it cheap from the Truffle as soon as you have him, the Jungle is a useful resource in more than one sense.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Before you trigger hardmode, make a big horizontal tunnel through the map just above hell. Drain any lava that you encounter. Next, while it's still easy to build there (no hardmode spider nests), line the bottom with mud and start the spread of some blue mushroom seed.

This tunnel will become a valuable way to get around post-wall-of-flesh, from which to access the deepest titanium/adamantium deposits.

Your tunnel will also immediately be an easy source of Truffle worms if you just run down it at full speed with a net. It will be deep enough for them to actually spawn.

As soon as you get Clentiminator you'll also be able to quickly turn the whole tunnel's mud into Jungle with a few shots downstream as you run. Now you have a life fruit and plantera farm in exchange for some or all of your truffle worm farm.

I'm planning to fish the 3 ores exclusively and break zero altars, but that's an interesting idea. Life fruit are 2 high, correct? Might do a 6/7 high tunnel and put a minecart track down on the third tile above ground, to still let them spawn but have fast travel each way.

Ever since I discovered the party girl's cake is infinite use for 20% mining speed, I have become a mining demon. Light molten pick, ancient chisel, mining potion and that buff let me carve a hellevator in just a few minutes, or dig a subway in less than a day.

By the way, the Master mode Dark Mage's Tome mount is absurdly good for doing subways. It's flying carpet, but better.

Then, Windows' sticky keys lets me put the minecart track down for a subway at 19mph, and then build/replace blocks for the floor and ceiling at 7mph while I walk away and do other things. 5mph is a bit faster than walls can be placed, but I can do two passes for those. Full molten armor and defensive/regen accessories means whatever mobs get into the tunnel don't have a chance to seriously injure or kill before I hear the noise and can respond.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 28, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ambaire posted:

party girl's cake

Holy gently caress

e: 20% movement speed boost too. Infinite use like you said. This thing seems a must-have in every arena. https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Slice_of_Cake

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does movement speed affect falling speed? I’d like to fall faster so I can dig holes faster with these shroom claws. Because it’s fun.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bad Munki posted:

Does movement speed affect falling speed? I’d like to fall faster so I can dig holes faster with these shroom claws. Because it’s fun.

not that i know of, but the mount dropped by the slime king affects falling speed (i think; its gimmick is stomping enemies with it does damage)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I don't think there's a way to increase your falling speed in the unmodified game, sorry. A number of ways to make you fall more slowly, but not faster.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Only time I ever killed expert Brain was on the Slime mount by bouncing on its head to avoid damage/paralysis. But the next time I tried, I got on the mount too early and couldn't make it out into the open, from where I blew up the orb. I got stuck in a tunnel bouncing against the ceiling and the Brain clipped through me to death. That was a lot of potions and weapons prep gone to waste so I didn't try again

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's a way to increase your falling speed in the unmodified game, sorry. A number of ways to make you fall more slowly, but not faster.

I've noticed that when you have the portal gun equipped, you seem to fall a lot faster for some reason.

Though it's a moon lord drop...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One useful thing to know about fighting the brain is that you can "juggle" its eyeballs. As soon as they take damage, the bounce back and take the long way around before they come back for another run at you. With a fast enough ranged weapon, you can keep bouncing them back without any of them ever reaching you.

Also, if you hide in a corner, it will nearly always come from the direction that is open air in its second phase. If you have a wall to the down and left of you, it will nine out of ten times come from the upper right, which is a really useful advantage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

President Ark posted:

not that i know of, but the mount dropped by the slime king affects falling speed (i think; its gimmick is stomping enemies with it does damage)

I was messing around in Journey Mode with god mode on and because my gear was for trash, Skeletron was literally taking 1 damage every time I hit it. Ended up getting up and getting a coffee while it went on after the end of this clip.

https://i.imgur.com/UBBMcWG.mp4

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cardiovorax posted:

One useful thing to know about fighting the brain is that you can "juggle" its eyeballs. As soon as they take damage, the bounce back and take the long way around before they come back for another run at you. With a fast enough ranged weapon, you can keep bouncing them back without any of them ever reaching you.

Also, if you hide in a corner, it will nearly always come from the direction that is open air in its second phase. If you have a wall to the down and left of you, it will nine out of ten times come from the upper right, which is a really useful advantage.

I thought the whole point of why Master mode brain was harder was because they got rid of knockback entirely on all its parts? I thought expert brain was so challenging in the first place because the eyes seemingly powered through rapid Melee knockback. It seems silly for them to act like they're enormously increasing the challenge by technically letting it have full knockback immunity, when meanwhile, the eyes' AI makes them knock themselves back anyway.

I tried going at the brain with bladed gloves, harpoon, and other extremely rapid weapons hoping to take advantage of knockback but i still got knocked around enough to start missing or get paralyzed. Space gun was the only thing that worked for me. It started popping those eyes and granting me hearts and I knew I had it.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 28, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The above image makes me think it'd be fun to put God mode on and wander all over the map with Dungeon Guardians stuck to me, obliterating any friendly NPC I get close to

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I thought the whole point of why Master mode brain was harder was because they got rid of knockback entirely on all its parts? It seems silly to do that when the eyes' AI makes them knock themselves back anyway.
Yeah, it's not knockback, they just cancel their attack run. I think it's an intentional behaviour because there's so many of them and they are so durable that you would otherwise get pretty unavoidably swarmed. I did it on Journey/Master and it still seemed to work fine, I was able to hold them off pretty effectively with a minishark.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah that's weird. What does their knockback stat matter at all, if they do that on their own free will anyway. And why buff their knockback stat as the main change for Master mode when it tends to be meaningless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yeah that's weird. What does their knockback stat matter at all, if they do that on their own free will anyway. And why buff their knockback stat as the main change for Master mode when it tends to be meaningless.
I checked the wiki and it says that it's the brain itself that is vulnerable to knockback, and only in the second phase - you know, the one where it starts surrounding you with illusions. Presumably that's the part where it is now less vulnerable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Geared myself out completely with terrasavr, master mode, god mode off, and gave Moon Lord a try. It's brutal. Big arena, plenty of space to fly around, all the buffs I could think of and full Solar armour with a Legendary Zenith and I can't keep up with the damage. Either the beam gets you, or if you're dodging it well the six-pack eyeballs it leaves around the place do. The roadblock is that there's times when it can damage you while you can't do damage, when the eyes are closed. I tried a method on saw on YouTube where they had The Black Spot and outran it across the map; it teleports to you but if you can keep the rhythm going you can keep outrunning it and dodging the beam weapon. But I ran out of map on a Large world and had to turn around at the end, which damaged me too much and then I flew into a group of eyes and got splattered. For that one I tried switching between an Unreal Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte bullets and a set of Legendary Vampire knives to try and get my health back, but I was never doing enough damage with the Knives to get enough healing to stay on top of the incoming. I think I got one hand down and some damage on the main eye and not much on the other hand before I lost that run. It might be do-able with practice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to make timers default to on when you start the game up rather than having to flip em on maually?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I dont think vampire knives work on moon lord anymore

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Moon_Leech_Clot this?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got a Ruthless Blue Moon with 66 attack from the Dungeon today. Seems like a good weapon.

I didn’t play this very much when it first came out, but I seem to be enjoying it a lot more this time. I’ll probably get to hardmode in a day or two. I’m hoping I can find a couple Sky Islands first.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

There are definitely mounts that make you fall faster. I've been using the pogo stick and slime mount whenever I need to jump down my hellevator and you fall significantly quicker.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I dont think vampire knives work on moon lord anymore

I used them on a combat on normal mode and took no net damage for most of it. Maybe the attacks are just weak enough on normal that the natural regen was taking care of the hits I didn't dodge? But that seems kind of unlikely.

Of course, they might prevent them from working specifically on Expert+ or Master.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ultiville posted:

I used them on a combat on normal mode and took no net damage for most of it. Maybe the attacks are just weak enough on normal that the natural regen was taking care of the hits I didn't dodge? But that seems kind of unlikely.

Of course, they might prevent them from working specifically on Expert+ or Master.

One of his attacks sticks you with a tentacle if it connects, this inflicts a debuff that negates any life steal effects. If you're able to avoid that attack, you can still leech life with no problems.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So I've had a script routinely pulling and rendering the world files from a couple goon servers (mine and the "for the worthy" one), and publishing those saves to http://terragoons.website. But I was also keeping the old renders, and so tonight I slapped together this script to stitch them together into a video. It also pre-processes the images to remove any duplicate renders, which helps reduce periods of inactivity (like when everyone is sleeping during the night) and it interpolates between renders over several frames, to smooth the motion.

I think they came out pretty cool! The smaller world map from the "for the worthy" server definitely worked better, though. We started recording history earlier on, they kept corruption spread on pretty consistently, and the map being a little smaller means the action is easier to follow (it all kind of disappears on the larger world.) Check it out! (best to fullscreen for obvious reasons)

Clear Nightmare ("for the worthy", medium)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTCgz2dmD0g

Goonlandia (random seed, large world)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnlJz81igA

I think for the next "special" seed that comes out, assuming there is one, we should fire up a small world and cut the entire goon force loose on it, and be recording from the get go.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They're really cool! Uh oh, for the first half of each video it's really blurry, and then it suddenly clears up! Maybe an interpolation setting gone wrong?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

They're really cool! Uh oh, for the first half of each video it's really blurry, and then it suddenly clears up! Maybe an interpolation setting gone wrong?

thats youtube starting at 360 or 480p and then switching to HD. you can just manually select it from the start if it takes that long to switch on your connection

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I think you're right, but sometimes when I click the gear it says 720p60 and the video is still blurry. Other times I start it up and it indeed says something terrible like 360p.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a little Firefox extension called Youtube Enhancer that gives a bunch more control over how Youtube behaves, including forcing it to start in the highest resolution every time. Give that a try if this is a problem you have a lot.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Did you actually click 720p60? Youtube's quality selector is total poo poo for some reason, it just displays whatever it wants regardless of what quality the video I'm watching is at. These particular videos definitely look fine in 720p60 to me.

edit: and yeah definitely get something to force it to a particular quality. The auto mode is a busted too, it consistently under-estimates what quality my internet is capable of handling regardless of whether I'm somewhere with 3 or 30mbps, except when I get somewhere with actual dogshit internet and it suddenly decides that 512kb is enough for 480p. It likes to switch away from whatever I set it to sometimes as well, even if I'm just letting a playlist go on.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 28, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Alright, subway system finished, at least for the right side of the map. First off, the lighting. Went with diamond gemspark walls every 12 tiles; the stone slab walls provided a nice way to line it up without any complicated rulering etc.

Subway system (it's only bare bones past the dungeon hellevator, since I'm not expecting the stripe to go past there) and hellevator dividers:

And the left side which is looking woefully empty:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Trip report: oh wow, Destroyer got buffed or something, these attacks are hitting way harder than I expected, I died in rage mode, let's see what I could dig out of a chest... gently caress me I was wearing the full Angler set the entire time and I still got it down to 7,000/80,000 HP

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone created their manufactured biomes in the sky?

I bombed the poo poo out of hell, I dunno I was trying to get to the bottom of the map I think. Got mixed up in hellstone and hellstone bricks, so here I was going around with crim gear not realizing I had 999 hell ore in my bricks chest :negative: returned to skele to pay him a visit and wiped him out without using a pot. Found the right balance at 1.5 difficulty and an only slightly increased spawn rate.

Does anyone else bother to put basts and banners everywhere? Only on journey when you can dupe em of course. I have them everywhere. I think I'm actually gonna do a regular game once I'm done this cause I feel so guilty about all the duping

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The bast statue is super good, especially in early game.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Which attributes do people typically try to roll on their accessories with the Tinkerer? I'm torn between more Def or crit rate. I'm playing on Expert if that matters.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how problematic is it that my world generated with the crimson surrounding the jungle?