Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks to potion sickness, healing is pretty rare and difficult in Terraria, so anything that can not only do damage for you but also heal you at the same time is indeed crazy effective. That caster armor which kills your magic damage output in return for doing a fraction of it as healing to yourself can carry you through most of a hardmode run.

I've found that that set is virtually equivalent to the other caster set (mask rather than hood). Switching between them and changing nothing else both got me through Pumpkin moon just as quickly. The added defense between picking up hearts versus the healing are a toss up. This is with continuous damage dealt due to a slime statue farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fair enough. I play a bit sloppy, so to me, the constant easy healing makes a huge difference. I've powered through more than a few bosses with that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just used the same setup on our very first Frost Moon we've ever seen. Master Mode on. Same strategy of facetanking every hit. Just standing still inside of Christmas trees and tanks. Almost made it to wave 14 first try.

My "standing still" setup includes slimes to take damage from, shiny stone to heal while standing still (edit: don't do this, shiny stone doesn't work like that) star veil + ninja gear for iframes (I found that the frost enemies were still hugely damaging compared to anything before, and I died a lot), and then celestial shell + ankh shield + worm scarf. Finally, some mana cuffs so I gain mana back while I use it.

The mana cuffs let me freely blast the Martian charged blaster cannon's laser across the ground, attacking everything that's spawned in simultaneously for around 8000dps with a little cooldown in between.

Next time I'll try the razorpine magic weapon that just dropped for us. I'll only use it on the flying bosses since they're hard to hit with the laser. A snowball cannon dropped for my partner, who flies around elsewhere.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 30, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Moreau posted:

Didn't they build the Moon Lord so that they weren't as effective? If so, Id say that's a high sign that they are indeed that effective

I still haven't had any drop in this run, though since I'm now post Moon Lord, I don't mind hopping to some other worlds where I'm sure I have some lying around. For one thing, I need to get an enchanted sword so I can try out Zenith

There aren't any limitations on moving a character between worlds with different difficulty types, are there? Was thinking of fooling around in an Expert or Master world whilst I suffer through 200 fishing quests.

Yeah Moon Lord was changed a little while ago to inflict a debuff that removes all healing from weapons. So Vampire Knives and Spectre Armor were deprecated as tactics.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

... If by a little while ago you mean immediately after Moon Lord was introduced.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, technically it has been there 1.3.0.1. The name and tooltip of that effect was changed in 1.3.0.3 to actually explain what the debuff does, though, so it's understandable that people would misremember it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So I'm looking at the viability of modding slight tweaks to the NPC happiness system.

My general idea is that when the player reconciles the different aesthetics and personalities of a set of NPC neighbors, it's a gentle creativity prompt. But as it stands now, NPC relationships are always the same, so after you arrange them in your first world, you're unlikely to ever reconsider those arrangements, even on subsequent play-throughs. I think it would be more fun if those relationships differed from world to world. Now, my supposition is that the NPC happiness check is performed ad-hoc when the player opens the dialogue window. I think it may be achievable to have this process salt out a deterministic table of NPC relationships from the world seed instead of referencing one that's hard-coded.

So what I'm thinking is:

-There are 25 house-dwelling NPCs. So for each one, we randomly select four groups of five other NPCs that they will respectively love, like, dislike, or hate. To the remaining four other NPCs, they remain ambivalent. This means that the probability of an NPC loving an NPC who loves them back is 69%, lol.
-Keep one liked/disliked biome per NPC but randomize them, too. There are only 24 NPCs who are actually affected by happiness (the guide can go gently caress himself, as is tradition) and eight biomes about which they can have opinions, so we deal each out as a like and dislike three times. Truffle would be forced-dealt a fondness for Mushrooms because he's probably stuck there due to housing requirement stuff that I can't imagine ever being compelled to gently caress with.
-Right now there are two price modifiers applied as a result of NPC crowding: a 104% "intrusion of personal space" modifier that applies for each NPC beyond the first within 25 tiles, and a 90% "I have my own lawn" modifier that they get when there's no more than one NPC within 25 tiles AND no more than three further NPCs within 120 tiles. I think the latter should be changed to 2 and 2 or just be a flat "no more than 4 NPCs within 120 tiles" so that the "personal space" penalty is offset by love/like bonuses but doesn't also cancel out the broader "lawn" bonus.
-Write extra dialogue for each NPC so that they can say appropriate things about their roommates. There would be a lot of it but it pretty much writes itself.

Other ideas:
-Force certain relationships. Specifically the love affair between the goblin and the mechanic. :3:
-Some kinda UI extra where the Guide will gossip with you and just tell you what everybody's preferences are, or, less likely, list them in the Beastiary. Either of these would be nice, or outright necessary if the roommate dialogue is annoying to gently caress with for some reason.

Note that I am very unlikely to actually do any of this because I lack both motivation and competence, but it's also the kind of thing that I could get distracted with for no reason one day when the amphetamines hit different and then end up researching and implementing it all in one sweaty ten-hour obsession-session. So I am soliciting some conversation about it ahead of time.

(Hardcoding everybody to just be happy all the time is also something I imagine plenty of people want, but I also estimate that such a tweak is going to be among the first 1.4.1 mods that drops after TModLoader is updated so there's no point in thinking about it too much.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Final Final update comes out tomorrow. 1.4.1. No I haven't seen patch notes.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That was TV Head at the end, has to be!

Guess it made its way in after all :)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That is really cool

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is a list of the changes the wiki thinks are coming

(partial reposting)

quote:

Rebalancing of some accessories:[14]
Band of Regeneration heals twice as much health.
Band of Starpower and Panic Necklace can be crafted into each other in a graveyard using Mana Crystal and Life Crystal respectively.
Bone Glove is now an accessory that launches a bone with all attacks.
Brain of Confusion's Cerebral Mindtrick buff is nerfed.
Celestial Cuffs now preserves the +20 mana from Band of Starpower.
Additional breath capacity from Diving Helmet increased.
The ability of Titan Glove to give autoswing to all melee weapons has been moved to Feral Claws; Titan Glove now increases melee weapon size.
Lucky Horseshoe is now found in underground Gold Chests; Fledgling Wings take its place in Skyware Chests.
Increased defense of Flesh Knuckles, Berserker's Glove, and Hero Shield.
Fire Gauntlet's damage and melee speed bonuses were increased, and the buffs to its components apply to it as well.
Honey Comb bees do more damage now, and it has a secondary effect of granting the player the Honey buff when hit.
Jellyfish Necklace now gives off some light when out of water, and a dramatically stronger light when in water.
Lava Charm is twice as common.
Damage over time from Magma Stone's fire effect is increased and uses a unique debuff.
Flaming Arrows created by Molten Quiver now have +2 damage.
Obsidian Rose protects against more damage, and is now used to craft Lava Waders.
Panic Necklace buff duration increased.
Pygmy Necklace can now be bought pre-Hardmode.
Stars dropped by the Star Cloak do more damage, and have defense penetration.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's out https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/rounding-out-the-journey-terraria-1-4-1-is-here.98431/#changelog

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That is A TON, especially for .1!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ranged weapons ate quite a few nerfs

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

that's a lot more than I expected

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Space Gun/Meteor Armor changes are weird, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. On the one hand, it's good that the space gun uses less mana, but now it deals less damage? And meteor armor was redesigned to encourage players to use other types of magic spells instead of the gun?

It feels like a change that an online game or one of those rebalance mods would make.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DoubleNegative posted:

The Space Gun/Meteor Armor changes are weird, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. On the one hand, it's good that the space gun uses less mana, but now it deals less damage? And meteor armor was redesigned to encourage players to use other types of magic spells instead of the gun?

It feels like a change that an online game or one of those rebalance mods would make.

It deals less damage on it's own, but the armor's damage boost means it does almost as much damage as before. They're trying to encourage people to use meteor armor as a late pre-hardmore magic armor instead of just the armor you use the spacegun with and they're trying to make the spacegun slightly more useful with other armor sets by reducing its mana cost.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Anyone wanna do a co-op playthrough in this? I'd like to play with some of the balance changes in this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a bit of a dearth of any real magic sets pre-hardmode, so I can see the logic there.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

friendship ended with finch staff, now flinx staff is my new best friend

Early game summoner owns now, you can actually do stuff besides rush for a hellforge to get an imp/hope you can beat the bee.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ooh, a reason to use obsidian armor besides vanity now.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still no word of mod support though I take it?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tmod is still a few months out at least.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why can't I place walls in the desert? Also if I actually can't place walls in the desert how do I make a home in the desert biome? Need to place Desert pylon. Thanks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Why can't I place walls in the desert? Also if I actually can't place walls in the desert how do I make a home in the desert biome? Need to place Desert pylon. Thanks.
Above or below ground?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've never had any problems placing walls in the desert biome, so there's probably something else in the way already.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zereth posted:

Above or below ground?

Underground. There isn't anything I can remove or run into.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Underground. There isn't anything I can remove or run into.
You need to remove underground walls starting at an edge, which can often be some ways away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

You need to remove underground walls starting at an edge, which can often be some ways away.
A stick of dynamite will knock a hole right into it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zereth posted:

OK thanks. Got plenty of dynamite with me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How do I get a Titanium (that's what's in my world) anvil? I have some titanium ore but apparently I need the titanium anvil to turn it into bars?? I don't understand.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mayveena posted:

How do I get a Titanium (that's what's in my world) anvil? I have some titanium ore but apparently I need the titanium anvil to turn it into bars?? I don't understand.

Mythril/Orichalcum is what you need for the anvil, Adamantite/Titanium with a Hellforge makes the furnace.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jade Rider posted:

Mythril/Orichalcum is what you need for the anvil, Adamantite/Titanium with a Hellforge makes the furnace.

I have an Orichalcum anvil and also a Hellforge, but I can't make Titanium bars. I have 25 Titanium ore.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mayveena posted:

I have an Orichalcum anvil and also a Hellforge, but I can't make Titanium bars. I have 25 Titanium ore.
You need to make a titanium forge using raw titanium ore + hellforge, not bars. You need 30 titanium ore plus an orichalcum anvil nearby.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

You need to make a titanium forge using raw titanium ore + hellforge, not bars. You need 30 titanium ore plus an orichalcum anvil nearby.

Ok thanks, just five more Titanium ore. Thanks again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember that you can show things to the Guide to figure out what you can make with them and what you're missing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Remember that you can show things to the Guide to figure out what you can make with them and what you're missing.

I miss the old XBox 360 crafting menu, which shows you everything you know how to make and what you need. Now, I just go to the official wiki and look poo poo up.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Anyone know if the Calamity mod is ever going to be compatible with 1.4? I want to try it out but 1.4 has so many nice qol features.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

Anyone know if the Calamity mod is ever going to be compatible with 1.4? I want to try it out but 1.4 has so many nice qol features.
It will once tModLoader gets updated to 1.4, which is god knows when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TMod looks closeish to being done, but I'd guess another month or two before release. Then you have to wait for the mod to update which will take ages since TMod is changing quite a bit.