Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Here's last night's little project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The increased drop rate for antlion mandibles is nice. All mining potion all the time.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Eye of Cthulhu is before corruption. He randomly appears on some nights once you hit 200 HP I think (and you can forge a summoning item for him using lenses on a demon altar).

My advice would be to rambo into a corruption tunnel thing and use (sticky) bombs to break into a shadow orb chamber with them and destroy it. If you destroy just one nothing bad will happen, it will drop you a decent-ish corruption item and it will enable meteorires, which are a very straightforward way to get large amounts of decent pre-hardmode ore.

Do this between midnight and 4:30 AM game time.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Every map has a few Enchanted Sword shrines now, you can spot them by looking for a one block wide shaft beginning at or a few blocks below the surface. Some of the shrines will have fakes but there's always an Enchanted Sword on the map. There's also a chance you'll receive a new low level sword I forget the name of.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Space Gun and Meteor Armor combo make normal a breeze, I usually try to cheese it out with sticky bombs before I even have a gold pick.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

An elevated length of mine cart track a few screens wide with bumpers at either end is my new favorite way to deal with the hardmode bosses. I managed to punk the random Skeletron Prime spawn unbuffed with the Shadowflame Knives that way.

As far as ammo goes, exploding bullets are easy to make, cheap, and drat effective against pretty much everything up to the mechanical bosses. It's easy to farm up a Clockwork Assault Rifle from The Wall and make a few stacks of bullets with the gold drops that will keep you covered for blasting stuff. If you still have trouble with bosses, do some fishing in the caverns and Crimson / Corruption. Endurance and Rage / Wrath potions are amazing.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

New world, new devotional.

Blood & Skulls 2 New Patch Boogaloo

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Shield of Cthulhu dash can be fun to play around with as melee before hardmode. Aside from that, if you intend to play with minecart track, grabbing the mechanical cart bits from the mechanical bosses is worthwhile, 102mph is fast.

Otherwise yea, make an alternate expert world and just use it to grab what you want.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Necromantic Scroll is nice if you want to do summon stuff but yea, you can pretty much ignore the moons.

As far as potions go, the Endurance and Wrath / Rage potions are really good and can be fished up pretty easily. If you're having trouble with bosses they make a difference, especially if you're already buffed up with ironskin and regen (you should be buffed up with ironskin and regen).

bij
Feb 24, 2007

i am tim! posted:

You can also reforge your weapons and trinkets for better affixes. Speaking of, what are the kind of affixes that I should be aiming for on my trinkets??

Edit: if my spec is a significant factor, I'm currently melee with a Terra Blade, Vampire Knives and one of those homing axes you get from the Golem.

The lifesteal on Vampire Knives is tied to damage, I've taken to reforging all my stuff to menacing (4% damage) and haven't looked back. Short of the Moon Lord you can facetank almost anything, Expert stuff included, if you're running a Flask of Ichor.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

No, you can fish up crates in regular then open those crates once the Wall is dead and get hardmode ores though.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The next update is in the works and includes:

Dynamic water

And this thing

bij
Feb 24, 2007

symbolic posted:

The dynamic water looks dope, but I'm trying to figure out what that thing could be related to. Maybe the renovated desert?

The water is going to get a bunch of settings for performance sake that dictate what specifically interacts with it, just players, player projectiles, etc.

I'd be all on board with more hardmode desert stuff. The flame animation kind of reminds me of the border of the sigil the dungeon cultists gather around.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Well, this is a weird rear end crossover but free content is free content. Looks like some new traps at the very least.

http://www.pcgamer.com/terraria-and-dungeon-defenders-2-content-crossover-announced-for-later-this-year/

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo yeah, I was not ready for The Destroyer. That kinda sucked and was not fun.

I tried to do it with the Onyx Blaster, but the problem is that I am utterly terrible with that kind of mouse-aiming because I always lose track of my cursor. I should probably stick to melee, but that just seems like a bad idea what with the touch damage and all.

Get a set of Adamantite / Titanium armor with the melee helmet and run the Wall until you get a clockwork assault rifle. That combo + exploding ammo should tear The Destroyer to bits, doubly so if you spam buff potions.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Otherworld got farmed out pretty much immediately and looked stupid so count me as a "whatever"

I'm still looking forward to 1.3.6, the few teasers they've shown mostly consist of fairly minor tweaks but they're all good.

As far as mods go I've only messed with Thorium. I liked it, especially since some of the later progression removes a lot of fiddly poo poo like having to farm up early game materials in hardmode. The sprite work is pretty good too.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I think that character us using a hairstyle from the Stylist NPC , some (most?) of those are animated.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Syndlig posted:

code:
New music track inspired by Winnie the Pooh.
:shepface:

New "Taco Night" event incoming.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Exploding bullets and the Clockwork AR are a fantastic combo in early Hardmode. The bullets are cheap and easy to make (explosive powder from the Demolitionist & empty bullets from the Arms Dealer) and have enough knockback to deal with pretty much anything, just be mindful that the AOE can hurt you too,

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Expert mode is pretty rough and I wouldn't recommend it if you're just coming back. If there's expert stuff you want you can just make a small expert world for killing bosses etc. and take your spoils back to your primary world.

Large worlds are a bit much for solo play. The Terraria wiki has a pretty comprehensive list of the pros and cons here.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1019283810242973697

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I read through some of the responses and the entitlement of some of those people is revolting. "When is this update coming out? Why haven't you updated it yet? blarglarbl"

The Terraria devs had no obligation to continue to update the game after the 1.0 release .. over 7 years ago, and the fact they still are is amazing.

Terraria has always had an awful "community" but it seems like the devs shrug it off pretty well. I am impressed with how much support the game has received and I'm glad they just continue to have fun with the game. Probably helps that they've sold a bajillion copies.

Pyrus Malus posted:

Anyway, is expert mode even doable solo?? I'm about to flip the switch to hardmode again, but I remember it feeling borderline impossible.

You can solo expert but the bosses generally require a lot more preparation like a full arena and a ton of buff potions. I'm playing expert right now and the difficulty spike of expert hardmode enemies isn't as dramatic as it is for things pre-WoF.

The mechanical bosses are a lot harder, especially The Destroyer but Plantera and the Golem aren't as dramatic.

The Daedalus Stormbow and holy arrows vs. The Destroyer makes a huge difference and the Megashark with crystal bullets turned out to be the best way to handle The Twins and Prime.

bij fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 19, 2018

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It's been a while since I played with it but my experience was that Thorium makes most of the core content easier. At the very least, expert mode is going to shower you with gold and that'll make all the QoL vendors in the mod extra helpful.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Are there any 3rd party tools that allow you to export a worldmap and check it out for specific things? I'm not sure if I cleaned all the crimson/hallow out of my entrenched area and look for simple ways to help with that. I've sprayed through two stacks of green solution but it's still hard to tell if I got everything. Like there is this red moss stuff that grows on stone sometimes and I find it tricky to tell that apart from crimson

I like TerraMap

Bonus 1.3.6 stuff:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

This is like, what, 40 moonlords worth of stuff?

Yea, if the crafting materials are in line with the cost of other furniture sets that's a lot of luminite and Vortex sparklies. They're apparently making furniture sets for Solar, Nebula, and Stardust fragments as well.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Jaunty tunes for windy days and suicidal bunnies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecqe_U_IDCo

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Drink a builder potion and equip any of the block placing accessories the travelling merchant sells and you can lay down a bunch of track super fast. I'd suggest running it just low enough to see the surface so you can spot strange plants for dyes to use or sell. If you decide to set up teleporters later you can just sit in the cart to lay the wire.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wasn't expecting anything like new biomes in 1.3.6 but we're getting an oasis!

The cattails and dragonflies are adorable~

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Thorium mod's got several higher iterations of boots above Frostspark which you can make pretty easily before hardmode with the QoL Cobbler NPC. I've been soloing a large expert map with Thorium on and off which I've been enjoying but can't recommend to anyone that isn't a masochist.

I was kind of bummed that we didn't get 1.3.6 in 2018 but I can't say I mind that they're taking their time to add fun stuff like the Minecarp. drat I want a Minecarp.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'd suggest using your titanium on Frost Armor. Farming the frost cores in the snow biome during a blizzard will also probably net you an ice feather which will set you on wings for the majority of hardmode. If you don't have one yet, kill the Wall of Flesh until it drops a clockwork assault rifle and reforge it until you get rapid. The clockwork rifle with crystal or explosive bullets will make scoring a Daedalus Stormbow and Shadowflame Knives much easier.

A combination of frostburn from Frost Armor, shadowflame from the knives, and cursed flames from a flask is pretty brutal vs. everything. (edit: except The Destroyer, it's immune to debuffs / DoTs) Ichor flasks work too.

bij fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 16, 2019

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Lily pads!

Edit: and Shark-frog-Yoshi summon

bij fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 22, 2019

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The lore is unnecessary but it's bland and inoffensive enough to not matter. I can appreciate the Mechanic being responsible for the mech bosses I guess.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I grabbed Terraria when it hit Steam officially and I've sunk an obscene amount of time into the game since then. I default to Expert mode these days because I appreciate the drop rates and I think it's more fun but holy poo poo, Master looks brutal. 1.4 looks like a they've put some thought into it and whether it is the last release or not, Terraria has cemented itself as one of the best games ever for me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You'd stop on 1x block elevations, it was cruel.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Alloran posted:

So are they rolling 1.3.6 into 1.4 or did I miss a release or do I not know what I'm talking about?

1.3.6 was apparently the working name/cover for 1.4

bij
Feb 24, 2007

If you aren't trying to rush I don't think you need to change much up for Expert. Get some bombs or fish up a Reaver Shark ASAP then smash a Shadow Orb / Crimson Heart before midnight. If a meteor doesn't drop, do it again the next night. Meteor Armor and a space gun will let you thrash the EoW or Brain pretty easily. If you pick up a trident and some Moonglow seeds on your way to the Ocean you're set.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The spear and trident are just extra useful in Expert because of the high knockback, they aren't necessary but if you snag one early it can be helpful.

I don't know about the buff button specifically but for the first couple bosses I run Iron Skin, Swiftness, and Regeneration. I don't think you need Endurance potions running early on but you'll want them from Skeletron to the end of the game

Turn any clay you snag into pots and use them to get an early Daybloom and Blinkroot farm going, get Moonglow going next for Spelunker potions, and find or create a glowing mushroom biome so you have plenty of shrooms for Shine.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You should be good, you can kill the EoW with a Harpoon pretty easily without much preparation. I like to get Meteor Armor because I usually play on a server with folks that don't have as much time to be a huge nerd as I do so I have a ton of time to kill before Hardmode. Meteor Armor is just handy for everything prior to WoF.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Spelunker isn't just a sparkle, it shows ore, chests, herbs, and heart crystals with a clear yellowish overlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Frost Armor -> kitbash of Turtle Scale Mail + Chlorophyte Mask + Hallowed Greaves is the true Hardmode armor progression.