Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't seen this article posted yet, so: http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-support-and-more-frequent-updates-are-coming-to-terraria/

Biggest thing to take away here, in my mind, is that Red wants mod support, but can't promise it, especially since internal hardcoded limits are being approached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
He's an incredible rear end in a top hat in Expert, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I always thought the gory gibs whenever anything dies was kind of weird. Other than that the entire game is pretty tame, but then out of nowhere there's bloody chunks everywhere. I'm certainly not offended by it but it just seems like they could have taken that out and gotten a much broader rating pretty easily.
Also the whole "the girls are on their period" blood moon thing is still pretty out of place.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Network Pesci posted:

Heavens! Dick jokes in a T-rated game? Golly, better clutch my pearls!
It's not so much that. Or that it's offensive or anything. It's more that all the aforementioned content just feels super out of place in a game that's otherwise really kind of - well, I wouldn't say wholesome, but nothing else tips towards that sort of humor or appearance, really. You're clashing swords with skeleton knights and shooting lasers from UFOs and blasting through the earth and fighting slimes, and all this really rad poo poo, and then you come home and it's like "whooooaaaa look out, all the girls are PMSing!", and then there's a joke about peeing on people. I didn't turn off the game in righteous indignation, I just got sort of confused why Red was like yeah, that's where we wanna go with that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, all the male NPCs go: "Whoa, look out, it's a blood moon! It's really dangerous tonight!"
And all the female NPCs go:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/NPC posted:

"What is that supposed to mean!?"
"Just-could you just...Please? Ok? Ok. Ugh."
"WHAT?!"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Beef Hardcheese posted:

The first time I played this game (years ago) I had no idea of what it was beyond a "Minecraft-like side scroller". The gory explosions from bunnies and goblins was a little surprising, but I didn't think too much of it. Then a half-seen Eye of Cthulhu ambushed me in the Underground and I just about crapped my pants.
I really wish that I could go back and play this game for the first time again, knowing absolutely nothing about it. A lot of the mystery and intrigue disappears after you know how everything works, how the world generates, and so on. It would be fantastic to play it blind for the first time all over again, especially as robust as it is now, after all these patches.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pumpkin and Frost Moon are straight up the dumbest and worst parts of the game, run them once each when you've got endgame equipment (and still probably die a bunch at the end of the night) and then never touch them again because they're stupid and not fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DoubleNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtJFw_aiLg

This was posted in the Terraria subreddit earlier today. A new adventure map sounds pretty intriguing.
Looking at some of that stuff, especially the Eater of Worlds arena, made me really wish some of that stuff would spawn/generate naturally in worlds. I'd love a library of setpieces the game randomly draws from, maybe let people submit their own, or download user-maintained packs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Because it's much, much more work to try to mod Terraria than to make a map for it. Terraria is not moddable like Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The problem is when you get enormous clusters of projectiles (many that have at least partial homing) instead of patterns you have to learn and account for. Eye of Cthulhu is tough without the right equipment but you can learn its attacks and methods and compensate. Some of the later bosses, conversely, feel like bullet hell in a game that doesn't give you enough mobility to handle something like that. The Moon Lord has distinct patterns, but he's firing off three at a time and many of them are totally cluttered or involve heavily seeking projectiles or it's that goddamn laser sweep, so rather than preparing and compensating for each pattern while still trying to keep up damage, the whole fight becomes just a clusterfuck.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My personal strategy:
Wait until you have any boots that boost run speed, chug a gravitation potion, run until you get at full speed, then flip upside down and keep running. Once you get so high the background starts to darken, flip again, back to normal. Keep running so that you maintain your horizontal speed, and keep flipping so you stay around the altitude at which the sky just begins to darken, at the edge of space. This is where floating islands spawn. If you keep running and tapping up to flip and stay at that general height, you'll cover the entire map at that height rather quickly and be able to spot any floating islands along the way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GenericOverusedName posted:

He's on console though, which isn't at parity with the pc updates.
Well yeah, but the island change isn't recent, island chests haven't needed gold keys to open since 1.2. (The same update introduced things like the Crimson, the Jungle Temple, alternate ores, dyes, monster banners, and slopes.)
1.2 came out September 30th, 2013. And while it's true the console version took time to match up, 1.02 brought it to parity with PC's 1.2, and that was April 17th, 2014.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Melee is so changed now that yoyos are in. Why even bother with the Ball O Hurt when you can get the corrupt yoyo?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not making all weapons autoswing is still one of Terraria's biggest mistakes ever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It doesn't trivialize anything. You still swing at the same speed. You just have to keep clicking. Autoswing does not make attacking stronger or faster, just less inconvenient.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man, I love these newbie trip reports. Seeing people discovering their way through the game really makes me wish I could play it for the first time again. Ever since release I've played almost every major patch to completion, nibbling on the new content, but it sure would be something to start totally blank and see everything in the game, as it is now, with new eyes. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
CJacobs and other newcomers: My only advice at this point is to up your style a bit. Almost every building material can make a full furniture set with a theme -- palm wood makes beach themed island furnitue, boreal wood makes cozy snow-cabin furniture, and you can even make stuff out of slime, honey, bone, cactus, glass, etc. Each furniture set has tables, chairs, chandeliers, lamps, candles, that sort of thing. Then there's furniture you can grab from Hell or the Pirates. And of course, paintings and banners found all over the world, from floating islands and ruins to the Underworld. Not to mention between the painter, the traveling merchant, and the plethora of materials you have access to, there's all kinds of building blocks and background walls you can get.
Don't be afraid to fancy up your base a bit -- it's especially easy now that smart cursor lets you quickly place/remove bg walls and you have hardmode tools to quickly knock them down.
And definitely don't skimp on dye options. The Dye Trader's rare dyes will change your life. You don't know what luxury is till you're riding across your world on a flaming minecart or a shiny golden hornet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Next up: Organize chests, get some better looking decor, make the rooms more thematic for their inhabitants.

From personal experience my main tips for organizing inventories:
1. Use lots of different types of chests for at-glance organizing. Whatever makes sense for you. For instance I put fish and caught animals in a palm chest because it looks like the kind of place you might store fish? Meteor chests for accessories since they look 'special', etc.
2. Use paint on golden chests to make them look radically different. Keep the style but color-code for even more easy reference!
3. Most important tip of all, that I didn't realize until far too late: Name your chests. Giving a chest a custom name makes that name show up when you mouseover it even from far away, so you quickly stop having to open chests to see whcih is which.

Of course, all this became so much easier with the "deposit all to nearby chests" button. What a godsend that was.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon are hands-down my least favorite events/encounters/bosses in the whole game, even expert Moon Lord you feel like you're striving against something, the Moons are so bad I literally thought my game bugged out the first time I got to the last wave.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HopperUK posted:

Thanks to whoever made that LP recommendation. I've been sick the last couple of days and watching RockLeeSmile chatter amusingly while explaining Terraria as he goes along has occupied my time nicely.
Is this a blind LP or just a "let me show you how it's done" sort of LP? For some reason games like Terraria I can only really enjoy blind. Maybe it's the same reason I enjoy watching all the new players in these threads find their way through it, with that vicarious sense of discovery.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Gravity potions are the best way to find floating islands, can be found in chests, and all you need to get started is a pair of Hermes (or similar) boots. Reach running speed, chug the potion, wait till you get to the height floating islands are found at (generally this is when the sky JUST BARELY begins to darken into the space bg), and keep moving with your full running speed while flipping repeatedly to stay at roughly that altitude. You'll be able to blitz past floating islands at running speed and that'll mark them on your map. Then you can come back after the potion wears off and rope up. If you start on the edge of a small world you'll have enough gravity potion to find all the islands in one run, assuming you can keep your momentum.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

Everything fishing related would be fixed if it just gave you fish bucks that you could cash in for the fishing related reward of your choice instead of kicking you in the shins with garbage or duplicates over and over and over and over and over.
I'm 100% on board with this. Though I feel similarly about most rare drops in this game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just give me a single ultimate storage item that's like 5x5 tiles or more, which can hold an unlimited number of every item in caplesss numerical stacks, and can be sorted by type, alphabetically, by quantity, or searched for quick retrieval.
Also allows modular ports to attach crafting stations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

way to go steve posted:

I just want to turn off left shift click putting items in the trash.
There's an option for that in the game's config.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

quote:

After reaching hardmode, you can choose the type of the world's evil when generating new worlds. If you have already reached hardmode, just load any pre-existing hardmode world and it will activate this feature.
This is great. So you can now choose whether you want corruption or crimson on a new world?
I wish they'd do the same with ore alts, but hey, one step at a time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah I agree, Red's built up a lot of trust and goodwill and Terraria 2 is going to get a lot of that support.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for Terraria: Otherworld, which he's not making.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Moryrie posted:

Though at least these devs have previously finished a game.. and technically they're looking over someone else's work rather than re-evaluating their own, since Otherworld is being worked on by another dev team.
Did you actually bother checking what games Engine Software has finished? It's not exactly a great track record. Other than crap shovelware and portable ports their biggest note seems to be the console versions of Terraria, which, if you look at the content they actually created for it, is not a stellar endorsement. This is not Relogic making this. This is not Redigit. Whatever goodwill Terraria has earned, save it for Terraria 2, not this third party spinoff.
I want this to be good, I really do, but after Starbound I really hope no one is giving this any more credit than "wait and see".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The fact that Relogic no longer trusts this company enough to handle even the ports does not inspire confidence. It could be that they're just trying to focus them on a singular project but this really comes off as a magnanimous sendoff.

Moryrie posted:

But well, company got booted anyway, so not really relevant now?
No, they got booted from the mobile ports, they're still making Otherworld.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Which seems good until you realize that because of how armor works, and because any given enemy can only be damaged so many times per second before weapons just start passing through, fewer big numbers are objectively better than many small ones.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A bed doesn't need to be in valid housing, I don't think. It just has to be inside. Which is why I usually set my spawn in an attic-like space, where NPCs can't move in.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The best chlorophyte farm is big floating blocks of mud down in hell, generally above the hellbridge you probably already built, spaced about 1 screen width apart. Put 1 chlorophyte ore in the middle to seed and you're good to go. They'll grow really fast and reliably, to the point you'll have more than you know what to do with in short order.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ali Aces posted:

Man ya'll talking about building chlorophyte farms, I don't get it. Flying around the jungle plowing through walls with mining and spelunker potions and a high-end pick/drill is pretty much the most fun you can have in this game. After all that slow, gradual digging with regular picks it's just so satisfying.

The best chlorophyte farm is the jungle of a fresh large world you just rush the wall and mech bosses in.
On a multiplayer server this gets considerably more tedious and less fun, thus the farm.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really do not enjoy the invasions/"moons" and I think they're far and away the worst part of the game. Badly balanced, tedious, frustrating, not fun even when you win, and rarely worth going through. And I wish they'd stop adding more stuff like it. My last playthrough I completely avoided them as much as possible.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also severely underestimating the amount of coin late/endgame reforges cost. You'll need a cash farm even in expert.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tyty posted:

Does anyone know why the room with the glass chair isn't valid housing? Every other room in this tower is and I can't really figure out why.
The platforms count as blocks/walls, and as such, are dividing the room into two halves. To the game, the right side and left side are considered two different rooms.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I actually think that in the right arena (which for most of the mech bosses is just a few long rows of platforms) Skeletron Prime is actually the easiest mechanical boss. The real problem is that he has so much health and defense that fighting him the first time could take all night. Crystal bullets and the clockwork assault rifle are my usual choices for him. So he's the easiest to survive but soaks up so much damage he can be hard to kill in time.
Meanwhile the Destroyer is the quickest and possibly easiest to kill with the right weapon, but also the easiest to die to.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wouldn't worry too much about spread unless your base gets hit with the initial swath of crimson/corruption, honestly. Crimson seeds don't need or cause biome changes, either.

You may want to invest in either crafting pots from clay or buying planters from the dryad. It's much easier to farm herbs in them than on plain dirt/grass, because they won't get destroyed by a swung weapon and they don't need special terrain to grow.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Java?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've only just started playing that big mod pack (the mod browser easily updating all the mods is a really swell feature), and I'm pretty amazed at the quality of some of these mods. I've seen some enemies I mistook for vanilla, and some new vanilla enemies that I thought "what mod is that from?", which is a good indication of the art, if nothing else. I'm pretty amazed at all the new mechanics too, from weapon suffixes to grab bag goodies, and I love that nearly every mod has added (in most places, suitably costly) recipes for super rare items that would otherwise require ages of grinding. I'm sure on a given playthrough I'll miss 80% of the new mod content because browsing items in-game I'm just seeing so many things I'll probably forget about. I especially love all the quality of life features like compressing common blocks for better storage, and something I've always wanted, the ability to smelt bars down back into ore. Then you've got auto chests and accumulators, customization chests, a slew of new decorations, and even the ability to turn lots of items into placeable trophies for display.

Honestly the only mod so far I'm not thrilled with is Butterknife's Tech Mod, which looks kind of like an entire biome of developer placeholder art and whose mod page is basically "uh, I don't know... guns?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nuebot posted:

The only real issue I have with that mod pack is that people seemed to really think the Jungle needed to not only be more annoying to traverse, but be the most annoying. I love fighting things that can go through walls in a place with poo poo all for mobility. I still haven't figured out how to fight any of the mod bosses though. Except for one. I was exploring and found an enemy called the "???" I killed it and a giant hell whale murdered me. It was pretty rad.
There's a key to show basic boss progression in a checklist (customizable in options). Most involve crafting summon items, but once you beat a boss for the first time you'll get an NPC that sells its summon item for cash.
Some of the bosses are ridiculously hard, and with like 5 different mods adding new equipment, sometimes you'll unlock a new material tier that gives you a bunch of crap weapons and one really good one, and finding which one works seems to be an ongoing learning experience here.